Old 29-04-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Mac Restaurant Software?

(I know this is probably more topical to one of the restaurant groups,
but there's so much more traffic here I'm hoping someone will have a
brilliant idea.)

I've got a client who is selling prepared foods at the local farmer's
market. She's asked for help in determining her costs. First we
fiddled around with Excel, which works but is cumberson for the
features she wants. So I found her some recipe costing software (Ipro,
which is cheap enough that even if it doesn't work well it's a good
deal), which they loved based on the sales literature. Then she says
"Does it matter if I have a Mac?"

Her business partner, who has never needed to use any software that
didn't come pre-installed, decided that a Mac was the right computer
for them to use. (Not because Microsoft is evil, presumably, since
they use Office and IE. But they're unwilling to run a Windows
emulator, for fear the flaws of Windows will ruin the Mac.)

So we're looking for Mac-compatible software that handles recipe
costing, sub-recipes, unit conversion within and between weight and
volume, and enough inventory control that their calculated costs are
based on what they're actually paying.

Phoebe

Old 29-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Victor Sack

So we're looking for Mac-compatible software that handles recipe
costing, sub-recipes, unit conversion within and between weight and
volume, and enough inventory control that their calculated costs are
based on what they're actually paying.

See some reviews at http://www.macworld.com/news/2002/04/12/forwardkit/index.php
and
http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/macsimum_migration_kit_restaurant_software_for_the _mac/

Victor
Old 30-04-2005, 03:30 AM
rmg

wrote in message
oups.com...
(I know this is probably more topical to one of the restaurant groups,
but there's so much more traffic here I'm hoping someone will have a
brilliant idea.)

I've got a client who is selling prepared foods at the local farmer's
market. She's asked for help in determining her costs. First we
fiddled around with Excel, which works but is cumberson for the
features she wants. So I found her some recipe costing software (Ipro,
which is cheap enough that even if it doesn't work well it's a good
deal), which they loved based on the sales literature. Then she says
"Does it matter if I have a Mac?"

You might look into Windows emulation software for the Mac.
Two that come to mind are SoftWindows and VirtualPC.

Old 30-04-2005, 04:07 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Did you Google for "Mac recipe software?" If not, give it a try.
If there's an Apple Store or Apple reseller near you, stop by there and
I am sure one of the Mac Geniuses will be glad to help get your client
set up with all the software she needs.
Old 30-04-2005, 05:38 AM
[email protected]

Thanks so much! I'd found ExecuChef in a prior search, but as far as I
can tell, they went defunct sometime after April, 2004. Food Cost
Manager seems like a pretty good program for the money, and given the
lack of alternatives, that's probably what they'll go with.

I eventually came across the official Mac software site
(http://www.macsoftware.apple.com/), and it listed those two and
nothing else.

Phoebe

Old 30-04-2005, 05:40 AM
[email protected]

Did you Google for "Mac recipe software?"

I can't tell you how many permutations I Googled. The eventual
winner was just "mac software," then searching within the compiled
software listings on each likely site.

I'd suggested to the client that they call their computer guy, who only
works on Macs. So maybe he'll have come up with something, too.

Phoebe

Old 30-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Stan Horwitz

(
http://www.macsoftware.apple.com/), and it listed those two and
nothing else.

Another good site is http://www.versiontracker.com which also offers
Windows software. The nice thing about this site is that it offers a
paid option where it will notify you of any software updates as the
updates become available.
Old 30-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Stan Horwitz

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

Had you kept reading you would have noted that the OP clearly stated that
Windows emulation software was not an option, they prefer not to use it.
Of course, no self-respecting Mac owner would use Windows emulator software
unless it were absolutely necessary.

Think about that concept: Windows Emulation software on a Mac.

Windows is a direct "emulation" of the Mac Graphical User Interface.
So if you loaded Windows emulation software on a Mac, you'd be emulating
something that emulates the Mac OS. Huh? Why bother?

Hah! As a very long-time Mac user, I agree with you; Windows emulation
on a Mac is something most people should avoid. For those few Mac users
who cannot meet all their software needs with the Mac, its usually
cheaper and more effective to go out and buy a bottom of the line
Windows PC. This is especially true for hardcore games players.

That being said, I did find a use for my Windows emulation software
that's really cool! I can download emails that I suspect of harboring a
virus to my Windows emulator, disable the emulator's network access with
a click of a button, and than see what trouble the virus tries to
inflict on the stand-alone Windows environment without risk of spreading
the virus or harming any of my important files (which I would never keep
on Windows).
Old 30-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Sheryl Rosen

Stan Horwitz at wrote on 4/30/05 9:21 AM:

In article ,
Sheryl Rosen wrote:

[...]

So basically, you're using it like a lab rat. I love it!

Old 30-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Stan Horwitz

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

[...]

Exactly, but not too frequently.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Mite

So we're looking for Mac-compatible software that handles recipe
costing, sub-recipes, unit conversion within and between weight and
volume, and enough inventory control that their calculated costs are
based on what they're actually paying.

Phoebe

I am the author of Shop'NCook, a shopping list and recipe manager
software running on Mac OS X and Windows.

I am working now on a Pro version and am interested to know more about
your client's needs to make sure they are addressed in my software.
Contact me by e-mail if she is willing to communicate with me.

Mite
http://www.shopncook.com
Old 03-05-2005, 09:01 AM
rmg

"Sheryl Rosen" wrote in message
rmg at wrote on 4/29/05 10:30 PM:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I missed the part about Windows emulation software being taboo.

I love the Macintosh myself, and it's my platform of choice. But beyond
certain business choices - which everyone is entitled to - why someone would
disdain running a Windows emulator on a Mac in order to be able to run
certain needed programs just because Macs are "better" is silly posturing in
my opinion. I've found Windows emulators to be very efficient for certain
needs. It's great that a Mac will provide this functionality.

cheers

Old 03-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

rmg wrote:

why someone would disdain running a Windows emulator on a Mac in
order to be able to run certain needed programs just because Macs are
"better" is silly posturing in my opinion.

As it happens, when we called Actoris to order Food Cost Manager, their
toll-free number was disconnected. Which didn't give the client a warm
fuzzy feeling about buying online from them, either. At which point,
she became much more interested in the Windows emulator.

So maybe they'll go with Ipro after all.

Phoebe