Emily Quesenberry

Default How to go about using/preparing GINGER

Ok I think I'm finally going to try it. I have always been a fan of ANYTHING
and I mean anything with ginger in it, but for some reason I am completely
scared using it. I am planning on doing a lovely little oriental themed
dinner sometime in the upcoming week and was wanting to incorporate some
ginger...

Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it - preferences or
maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not oriental in nature?
I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of what exactly I should get
at the grocery store in terms of the ginger itself.

Thanks in advance - I"m slowly learning :-)

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I do not wish to expiate, but to live.

"It is not attention the child is seeking, but love" - Sigmund Freud

Katra

In article >,
"Emily Quesenberry" > wrote:

> Ok I think I'm finally going to try it. I have always been a fan of ANYTHING
> and I mean anything with ginger in it, but for some reason I am completely
> scared using it. I am planning on doing a lovely little oriental themed
> dinner sometime in the upcoming week and was wanting to incorporate some
> ginger...
>
> Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it - preferences or
> maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not oriental in nature?
> I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of what exactly I should get
> at the grocery store in terms of the ginger itself.
>
> Thanks in advance - I"m slowly learning :-)

I use a lot of ginger, mainly in stir fry's, but I made turkey soup
tonight from the backbones of a couple of turkeys. I added ginger and
garlic to that and oh did it come out good!

I personally purchase fresh ginger root from the grocery store and keep
it in a basket or paper bag in the 'frige. I break off as much as I want
to use, then wash well and cut off any blemishes, but I don't bother to
peel it.

I then run it over a fine cheese grater. Quick and easy, and works very
well for nearly any recipe that I make.

Hope this helps?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Emily Quesenberry

Yes, thank you very much! I wasn't sure if it needed to be fully peeled or
whatnot :-) Ohhh I'm so excited!

--

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Emily Quesenberry" > wrote:
>
> > Ok I think I'm finally going to try it. I have always been a fan of

ANYTHING
> > and I mean anything with ginger in it, but for some reason I am

completely
> > scared using it. I am planning on doing a lovely little oriental themed
> > dinner sometime in the upcoming week and was wanting to incorporate some
> > ginger...
> >
> > Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it - preferences

or
> > maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not oriental in

nature?
> > I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of what exactly I should

get
> > at the grocery store in terms of the ginger itself.
> >
> > Thanks in advance - I"m slowly learning :-)

> I use a lot of ginger, mainly in stir fry's, but I made turkey soup
> tonight from the backbones of a couple of turkeys. I added ginger and
> garlic to that and oh did it come out good!
>
> I personally purchase fresh ginger root from the grocery store and keep
> it in a basket or paper bag in the 'frige. I break off as much as I want
> to use, then wash well and cut off any blemishes, but I don't bother to
> peel it.
>
> I then run it over a fine cheese grater. Quick and easy, and works very
> well for nearly any recipe that I make.
>
> Hope this helps?
>
> K.
>
> --
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

Levelwave©

Emily Quesenberry wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it - preferences or
> maybe even a favorite ginger recipe,

Ginger Sauce Benihana

3 (1/2 inch) cubes peeled ginger root, chopped
1/2 C soy sauce
1/4 C vinegar
1 large onion, sliced

Place all ingredients in blender. Blend at high speed 2 min,
or until ginger and onion are minced. Makes about 3/4 C.

As a bonus I offer my name, also a frequently requested item.

~john

--
"Black holes are where God divided by Zero." - Steven Wright
Levelwave©

Katra wrote:

> I then run it over a fine cheese grater.

Microplane. Shame on you...

~john

--
"Black holes are where God divided by Zero." - Steven Wright

Katra

In article >,
Levelwave(C) > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > I then run it over a fine cheese grater.

> Microplane. Shame on you...
>
> ~john

A fine cheese grater is the gratest mincer in the world. ;-)
Fast and efficient. I also use it for garlic in place of a garlic press.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

jmcquown

Emily Quesenberry wrote:
> Ok I think I'm finally going to try it. I have always been a fan of
> ANYTHING and I mean anything with ginger in it, but for some reason I
> am completely scared using it.

(snip)

No need to be afraid! Ginger is lovely. Scrape a small bit of the root
like a carrot with a veggie peeler and then grate the proper amount of it
into whatever dish you are preparing. It's that simple.

Jill

elaine

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Emily Quesenberry wrote:
> > Ok I think I'm finally going to try it. I have always been a fan of
> > ANYTHING and I mean anything with ginger in it, but for some reason I
> > am completely scared using it.

> (snip)
>
> No need to be afraid! Ginger is lovely. Scrape a small bit of the root
> like a carrot with a veggie peeler and then grate the proper amount of

it
> into whatever dish you are preparing. It's that simple.
>
> Jill

Lately I've been adding ginger to onions as they fry up while preparing
soup - gives chicken soup a nice flavour.

My cheese grater doesn't do half as good a job as my microplane.

E.

How long does it keep in the fridge?

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "Emily Quesenberry" > wrote:
>
>> Ok I think I'm finally going to try it. I have always been a fan of
>> ANYTHING and I mean anything with ginger in it, but for some reason
>> I am completely scared using it. I am planning on doing a lovely
>> little oriental themed dinner sometime in the upcoming week and was
>> wanting to incorporate some ginger...
>>
>> Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it -
>> preferences or maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not
>> oriental in nature? I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of
>> what exactly I should get at the grocery store in terms of the
>> ginger itself.
>>
>> Thanks in advance - I"m slowly learning :-)

> I use a lot of ginger, mainly in stir fry's, but I made turkey soup
> tonight from the backbones of a couple of turkeys. I added ginger and
> garlic to that and oh did it come out good!
>
> I personally purchase fresh ginger root from the grocery store and
> keep it in a basket or paper bag in the 'frige. I break off as much
> as I want to use, then wash well and cut off any blemishes, but I
> don't bother to peel it.
>
> I then run it over a fine cheese grater. Quick and easy, and works
> very well for nearly any recipe that I make.
>
> Hope this helps?
>
> K.
>
> --
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
>>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

Rick & Cyndi

:
: Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it -
preferences or
: maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not oriental
in nature?
: I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of what exactly I
should get
: at the grocery store in terms of the ginger itself.
:
: Thanks in advance - I"m slowly learning :-)
:
: =========

Candied!! Yumm! Totally rocks!!

Cyndi

Candied Ginger

1/2 lb Fresh ginger
Water
1 1/2 c Sugar
1 1/2 c Water
2 tb Light corn syrup

Crystallizing ginger is a lengthy process, but having these
choice sweets on hand is reward enough. Peel 1/2 pound fresh
ginger and slice 1/4 inch thick. Bring to a boil in water to
cover. Simmer, covered for 2+1/2 hours. Drain, simmer in fresh
water for another hour, or until tender. Drain. Bring to a boil
1+1/2 cups sugar, 1+1/2 cups water, and 2 tablespoons light corn
syrup; cook for 2 minutes. Add the ginger. Remove from the heat
and let stand until cool, or overnight. Again bring the syrup
to a boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 3 hours, or
until the ginger is translucent. If the syrup thickens too
quickly, thin with a little hot water. Remove the pan from the
heat and set the ginger pieces on a wire rack to dry for a few
hours. Roll them in granulated sugar and store in a glass jar.
Young tender ginger works best.

TO MAKE IN A PRESSURE COOKER:
Using 15 # PSI

Place ginger on a rack and fill cooker with water until the
ginger is submerged. Cover and cook on high until
your rocker jiggles. Reduce heat yet maintain a gentle rock -
cook for 13 minutes.

Use a semi-quick release (flip rocker to where the steam
releases).

Once cooled - empty and refill with fresh water.

Repeat above EXCEPT once you lower temperature - maintain a
gentle rock for 10 minutes.

Do the semi-quick release again.

Drain and cool the ginger.

Prepare the simple syrup (sugar, water & corn syrup) in the
cooker without the lid.

Add the ginger, bring to a boil and maintain a simmer (WITHOUT
THE LID) for approximately 1 1/2 hours or until the ginger is
translucent. Be sure to stir occasionally.

Remove ginger and cool on wire racks for a few hours. Roll in
granulated sugar and store in a glass jar.

hahabogus

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> Crystallizing ginger is a lengthy process

There was a thread...last year I think on making Candied ginger in a
Crockpot. Seemed to take most of the worry out of it.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Julia Altshuler

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> Levelwave(C) > wrote:
>

>>Katra wrote:
>>

>>>I then run it over a fine cheese grater.

>>Microplane. Shame on you...

Allow me to step in an put an end to this foolish argument. Ginger must
be chopped, not grated. The type of grater doesn't matter. No matter
what you use, you'll end up with a fibrous mess after the first 10
passes. If you chop it in the food processor, the fiber parts get all
choppy and chewable. There. Now stop bickering.

I chop a bunch at once and store the extra in sherry in the fridge in a
tightly covered container.

Uses: Double the amount of dried ginger called for in ginger bread and
cookies with fresh. Throw in a generous amount of fresh ginger in any
soup or stir fry recipe that calls for soy sauce (or tamari or shoyu).
Sprinkle it on top of buttered carrots.

--Lia

Peter Aitken

"Emily Quesenberry" > wrote in message
> Ok I think I'm finally going to try it. I have always been a fan of

ANYTHING
> and I mean anything with ginger in it, but for some reason I am completely
> scared using it. I am planning on doing a lovely little oriental themed
> dinner sometime in the upcoming week and was wanting to incorporate some
> ginger...
>
> Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it - preferences

or
> maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not oriental in nature?
> I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of what exactly I should get
> at the grocery store in terms of the ginger itself.
>
> Thanks in advance - I"m slowly learning :-)

You muist buy fresh ginger - the powdered stuff is fine for baking and some
other uses but that's all. Most supermarkets carry it - ask for help if you
do not know what it looks like. It'll keep for a couple of weeks in the
fridge - I put in in a small brown paper bag and then in a plastic bag. To
use, cut off a chunk and peel, then either slice, julienne, or dice as the
recipe calls for. As a general rule of thumb you would use 1 to 3 tsp of
minced ginger in a Chinese stir fry for 4 people, but you can use more if
your taste demands. Have fun - it's a great ingredient.

--
Peter Aitken

Ariane Jenkins

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:15:09 -0400, Emily Quesenberry > wrote:
> Ok I think I'm finally going to try it. I have always been a fan of ANYTHING
> and I mean anything with ginger in it, but for some reason I am completely
> scared using it. I am planning on doing a lovely little oriental themed
> dinner sometime in the upcoming week and was wanting to incorporate some
> ginger...
>
> Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it - preferences or
> maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not oriental in nature?
> I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of what exactly I should get
> at the grocery store in terms of the ginger itself.
>
> Thanks in advance - I"m slowly learning :-)

I usually peel before using, but it's not always necessary,
it depends on the recipe. Look for ginger that's firm, skin thin and
not leathery or too wrinkly because that means it's dried out too
much. It keeps pretty well in a paper bag in a cool, dark place, but
you can also stick the paper bag into a plastic ziploc and keep it in
the fridge (forget where I read that tip now) and that works pretty
well, too. For grated ginger, a friend (Boli, who does offer some
non-smartass advice from time to time) suggested putting a bit of
plastic wrap over the fine holed side of the cheese grater and using
it that way. Works like a charm. Without the plastic, the ginger
bits got stick in the grater, with it, I can lift the whole thing off
and scrape it into the marinade.

Ariane

P.S. I like this recipe for teriyaki marinade that Blair posted a
while back. He used it with salmon, so did I. The text below is also
his:

Teriyaki Marinade
posted by Blair Houghton to RFC

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
2 tbs freshly grated ginger (peeled before grating)
1 tbs freshly grated garlic (ditto)

Marinate for 20-30 minutes in refrigerator. Bake at
350-375 until center is 125 degrees (122 if you like your
fish moister, 128 if you like it drier).

That's it.

For more sweet, use more mirin or ginger. More salty,
more soy sauce. More spicy, more garlic or ginger.

I haven't tried it on chicken. I haven't tried it
on cold, pre-cooked food. It's probably not sticky
enough to act as a dressing, and it's probably too
strong to use as anything other than a marinade.

Katra

In article >,
" > wrote:

> How long does it keep in the fridge?

Depends on how fresh it is to start with. :-)

If I get nice, fat, juicy roots without a lot of dried nodes, (best
stuff comes from the thai store), it keeps for me for about a month in
an open paper bag at 40 degrees F.

It can also be frozen.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Puester

Emily Quesenberry wrote:

> Ok I think I'm finally going to try it. I have always been a fan of ANYTHING
> and I mean anything with ginger in it, but for some reason I am completely
> scared using it. I am planning on doing a lovely little oriental themed
> dinner sometime in the upcoming week and was wanting to incorporate some
> ginger...
>
> Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it - preferences or
> maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not oriental in nature?
> I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of what exactly I should get
> at the grocery store in terms of the ginger itself.
>
> Thanks in advance - I"m slowly learning :-)
>
> --

If you like candied ginger, this recipe is terrific. It was
posted here within the past year, and I can vouch for it.

Candied Ginger

1 lb fresh ginger
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
Crockpot or slowcooker
additional sugar for coating

Peel and slice the ginger. 1/4" dice is great for baking
and nibbling. Mix sugar, water and corn syrup and heat in crockpot
on high until dissolved. Add ginger, and reduce heat to simmer for
24 hours, till syrup is a golden brown. Allow to cool in syrup, then
drain, reserving syrup for pancakes, ice cream, or your other
favorite syrup uses. Toss the ginger in sugar until well coated, and
store in an airtight jar. Sprinkle the excess sugar in there with it.

This recipe produces crystalized ginger with a real kick, since you do
not boil
and toss the water several times before simmering in the syrup as in
most recipes.
The ginger is wonderful chopped finely and added to ginger cookie
dough.

gloria p
Arri London

Emily Quesenberry wrote:

> Yes, thank you very much! I wasn't sure if it needed to be fully peeled or
> whatnot :-) Ohhh I'm so excited!
>
> --
> That will depend on the ginger. Fresh young ginger doesn't need to be peeled. If you are stuck with older ginger, the skin will be thick and doesn't taste all that good. The ginger will also be more fibrous, making it harder to grate.

Arri London

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article >,

> >>Microplane. Shame on you...

> Allow me to step in an put an end to this foolish argument. Ginger must
> be chopped, not grated. The type of grater doesn't matter. No matter
> what you use, you'll end up with a fibrous mess after the first 10
> passes. If you chop it in the food processor, the fiber parts get all
> choppy and chewable. There. Now stop bickering.

Ah then all those Japanese ginger graters have been used for centuries
for no reason at all.
Only old, poor quality ginger is fibrous and cannot be grated properly.
Go buy yourself some decent ginger for a change.

> I chop a bunch at once and store the extra in sherry in the fridge in a
> tightly covered container.
>
> Uses: Double the amount of dried ginger called for in ginger bread and
> cookies with fresh. Throw in a generous amount of fresh ginger in any
> soup or stir fry recipe that calls for soy sauce (or tamari or shoyu).
> Sprinkle it on top of buttered carrots.
>
> --Lia

Katra

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Emily Quesenberry wrote:
> >
> > Yes, thank you very much! I wasn't sure if it needed to be fully peeled or
> > whatnot :-) Ohhh I'm so excited!
> >
> > --
> > That will depend on the ginger. Fresh young ginger doesn't need to be
> > peeled. If you are stuck with older ginger, the skin will be thick and
> > doesn't taste all that good. The ginger will also be more fibrous, making
> > it harder to grate.

I only buy fresh young ginger. ;-)
I'm picky that way!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

thanks... this was perfect since I just bought some for a steak marinade
that I found here..
"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> " > wrote:
>
> > How long does it keep in the fridge?
> >

> Depends on how fresh it is to start with. :-)
>
> If I get nice, fat, juicy roots without a lot of dried nodes, (best
> stuff comes from the thai store), it keeps for me for about a month in
> an open paper bag at 40 degrees F.
>
> It can also be frozen.
>
> K.
>
> --
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

Cindy hamilton

"Emily Quesenberry" > wrote in message >...
> Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it - preferences or
> maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not oriental in nature?
> I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of what exactly I should get
> at the grocery store in terms of the ginger itself.

One of my favorites is to sautee grated fresh ginger and crushed garlic
in butter, and dress cooked carrots with it. Not oriental, but mighty
tasty.

Cindy Hamilton
Arri London

Katra wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > Emily Quesenberry wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, thank you very much! I wasn't sure if it needed to be fully peeled or
> > > whatnot :-) Ohhh I'm so excited!
> > >
> > > --
> > > That will depend on the ginger. Fresh young ginger doesn't need to be
> > > peeled. If you are stuck with older ginger, the skin will be thick and
> > > doesn't taste all that good. The ginger will also be more fibrous, making
> > > it harder to grate.

> I only buy fresh young ginger. ;-)
> I'm picky that way!

You and me both. But from what I'm hearing in this group, not every
bothers to buy it or has access to the nice fresh stuff.
Dave Smith

Emily Quesenberry wrote:

> Ok I think I'm finally going to try it. I have always been a fan of ANYTHING
> and I mean anything with ginger in it, but for some reason I am completely
> scared using it. I am planning on doing a lovely little oriental themed
> dinner sometime in the upcoming week and was wanting to incorporate some
> ginger...
>
> Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it - preferences or
> maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not oriental in nature?
> I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of what exactly I should get
> at the grocery store in terms of the ginger itself.

Ginger root is a very tasty addition to stir fried dishes. It should be sliced
very thin or grated and added along with the garlic. I once tried a very tasty
recipe for shrimp which called for a piece of green onion and a sliver of ginger
to be stuck into a slice through the back of the shrimp, wrap them in parchment
paper and deep fried.

Dave Smith

Emily Quesenberry wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it - preferences or
> maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not oriental in nature?
> I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of what exactly I should get
> at the grocery store in terms of the ginger itself.

Pear and Ginger jam. Just follow the usual recipes for pear jam but chop some
candied ginger and add to the pears as they are cooking.

Darrell Grainger

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Emily Quesenberry wrote:

> Ok I think I'm finally going to try it. I have always been a fan of ANYTHING
> and I mean anything with ginger in it, but for some reason I am completely
> scared using it. I am planning on doing a lovely little oriental themed
> dinner sometime in the upcoming week and was wanting to incorporate some
> ginger...
>
> Does anyone have any tips on using ginger or preparing it - preferences or
> maybe even a favorite ginger recipe, even if it's not oriental in nature?
> I've got quite a few recipes, I'm just unsure of what exactly I should get
> at the grocery store in terms of the ginger itself.

If you are preparing anything with heat and liquid, slice some ginger from
a good piece of ginger root and drop it in the dish. My mother-in-law will
put pieces in everything she is boiling, stir frying, baking (if there is
a lot of juice, e.g. fish in parchment).

She liked to use whole slices. This way they are big enough you can pick
them out. Too much fresh ginger can actual have a burning effect on the
mouth.

> Thanks in advance - I"m slowly learning :-)
>
> --
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "I do not wish to expiate, but to live.
> My life is for itself and not for a spectacle.
> I much prefer that it should be of a lower strain,
> so it be genuine and equal, than that it should be glittering and unsteady.
> I wish it to be sound and sweet, and not to heed diet and bleeding."
>
> "It is not attention the child is seeking, but love" - Sigmund Freud

Don't send e-mail to

blake murphy

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:38:11 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

Have fun - it's a great ingredient.

not only that - but it's dirt cheap. a piece the size of your thumb
will likely be less than twenty-five cents.

your pal,
blake
SportKite1

>From: blake murphy

>not only that - but it's dirt cheap. a piece the size of your thumb
>will likely be less than twenty-five cents.

Hmmm...where do YOU shop? Ginger is 5.99 a lb where I shop and a thumb sized
piece would run at least a buck and a half.

Ellen

Ariane Jenkins

On 28 Apr 2004 04:34:35 GMT, SportKite1 > wrote:

> Hmmm...where do YOU shop? Ginger is 5.99 a lb where I shop and a thumb sized
> piece would run at least a buck and a half.

Ouch!! I just bought a piece today at Meijers, it was
$1.99/lb. Sometimes they have it cheaper at Asian markets and Jungle
Jim's, as low as $1.69/lb, IIRC. But it's usually so inexpensive that
I rarely do more than glance at the price. End total is always less
than $2, and that lasts me a while.

Ariane