John Gaughan

Default Easter Dinner

Easter will be simple, mainly because there are only two of us and I do
not want a refrigerator full of leftovers like after Thanksgiving last
year. We are having roast turkey (brined) and whipped potatoes. Of
course I will make gravy as well.

The recipe for the whipped potatoes is he
[http://groups.google.com/groups?q=wh...om.com&rnum=3]

I normally despise mashed potatoes, but these are awesome. I think this
time I might leave the peels on, because I like a slightly rough texture
and I like the peel taste.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Levelwave©

John Gaughan wrote:

> I normally despise mashed potatoes,

heathen...

--
"Black holes are where God divided by Zero." - Steven Wright
John Gaughan

Levelwave© wrote:
> heathen...

I like meat. I would rather gorge myself on turkey than turkey and sides.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

PENMART01

>I like meat. I would rather gorge myself on turkey than turkey and sides.
>
>John Gaughan

I always did figure you for a canned dog food kinda guy... Alpo au jus!

I bet you can lick your own asshole too!

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Curly Sue

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:59:46 -0500, John Gaughan
> wrote:

>Easter will be simple, mainly because there are only two of us and I do
>not want a refrigerator full of leftovers like after Thanksgiving last
>year. We are having roast turkey (brined) and whipped potatoes. Of
>course I will make gravy as well.
>
>The recipe for the whipped potatoes is he
>[http://groups.google.com/groups?q=wh...om.com&rnum=3]

Have some potatoes with your butter :>

(PS... www.tinyurl.com is helpful and easy)

Sue(tm)

S.Dunlap

John Gaughan > wrote in message >...
> Easter will be simple, mainly because there are only two of us and I do
> not want a refrigerator full of leftovers like after Thanksgiving last
> year. We are having roast turkey (brined) and whipped potatoes. Of
> course I will make gravy as well.

Easter i real simple this year. With 92+ temperatures, 90% + humidity,
and no air conditioning I don't plan on doing any cooking. I do have
one of the rare hams that the supermarket occasionally gets in for the
gringos in town, but it's staying frozen for the time being.

We may drive up to the lake for a fish dinner or if we chose not to do
that, lots of foods that require little or no cooking - tropical fruit
salad, shrimp cocktail, etc.

Sandi
John Gaughan

Turkey is "canned dog food?" What the **** are you smoking?

> I bet you can lick your own asshole too!

I do not see what this has to do with Easter dinner, but then again, I
am not familiar with how you celebrate it. For all I know you eat your
cats' assholes. I mean, they are cats, it is not like they hide it. Tail
up, Sheldon down!

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

John Gaughan

Curly Sue wrote:
> (PS... www.tinyurl.com is helpful and easy)

Do not mock the all-knowing Oracle, Google! :-P

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Bubbablue

John Gaughan > wrote in message >...
> Easter will be simple, mainly because there are only two of us and I do
> not want a refrigerator full of leftovers like after Thanksgiving last
> year. We are having roast turkey (brined) and whipped potatoes.

We are having roast turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots, stuffing, and
whatever other vegetable I can find in the refrigerator. Maybe red
cabbage.

The turkey won't be brined and the mashed potatoes will be made with
potatoes, basil, salt, pepper and olive oil, and maybe a little rice
milk.

wd40
Curly Sue

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:26:03 -0000, Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not>
wrote:

>I have been eating ham all week and decided to do a rib roast instead. I
>have some recipes I got off of www.finedining.com that I have made in the
>past and all have been terrific. I can not decide on which sides I want to
>make. I think I'll do simple sides. Maybe asparagus and roasted red new
>potatoes. I'll throw in some carrots maybe. I'm not sure yet. I want
>to do a salad but I can't make up my mind. I bought some arugula so
>I'll probably do something with that. Toasted walnuts, gorgonzola maybe
>with a light dressing.

(psst- if you have a nice ripe pear, slice it inot that
walnut/gorgonzola salad. Spinach, candied walnuts, gorgonzola, and
pear salad is one of my current favorites. In fact, that was
tonight's supper, although I messed up the walnuts a bit when I made
them last night.)

Sue(tm)

kilikini

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> I have been eating ham all week and decided to do a rib roast instead. I
> have some recipes I got off of www.finedining.com that I have made in the
> past and all have been terrific. I can not decide on which sides I want

> make. I think I'll do simple sides. Maybe asparagus and roasted red new
> potatoes. I'll throw in some carrots maybe. I'm not sure yet. I want
> to do a salad but I can't make up my mind. I bought some arugula so
> I'll probably do something with that. Toasted walnuts, gorgonzola maybe
> with a light dressing.I've got peppermint ice cream for dessert which I
> made in my ice cream maker. I'm serving for 6 people. Here is the menu so
> far: It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't. Garnishes are up to
> you

(recipes snipped)

And I'll end up eating a ham sandwich. Oh well.

kili

Cindy Fuller

In article > ,
Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> I have been eating ham all week and decided to do a rib roast instead. I
> have some recipes I got off of www.finedining.com that I have made in the
> past and all have been terrific. I can not decide on which sides I want to
> make. I think I'll do simple sides. Maybe asparagus and roasted red new
> potatoes. I'll throw in some carrots maybe. I'm not sure yet. I want
> to do a salad but I can't make up my mind. I bought some arugula so
> I'll probably do something with that. Toasted walnuts, gorgonzola maybe
> with a light dressing.I've got peppermint ice cream for dessert which I
> made in my ice cream maker. I'm serving for 6 people. Here is the menu so
> far: It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't. Garnishes are up to
> you

tasty recipes snipped

I was going to do the traditional duck a l'orange, but found a recipe
for Chinese-style duck with orange and ginger glaze that looked worth
trying. SO is dubious (as usual), but he likes duck. This is a
two-step recipe: you steam the duck to rid it of fat, then roast it to
crisp up the skin. We'll have rice and some sort of Asian salad
alongside, and pavlova for dessert. We've got a boatload of
strawberries, a ripe mango, and some kumquats in syrup that will make a
good fruit topping for the pavlova.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Curly Sue

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 01:21:53 -0000, Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not>
wrote:

(Curly Sue) tap, tap, tapped out in

>> (psst- if you have a nice ripe pear, slice it inot that
>> walnut/gorgonzola salad. Spinach, candied walnuts, gorgonzola, and
>> pear salad is one of my current favorites. In fact, that was
>> tonight's supper, although I messed up the walnuts a bit when I made
>> them last night.)
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
>>

>Ohhh... that's a good idea and I do have a couple of pears. Thanks for the
>tip. I'm tired of all my salad dressings. Do you have a light dressing
>that you especially like? I don't want the dressing to overpower the other
>flavors of the salad. I think I've got a bag of that pre-washed spinach.
>It's the tiny bag. We're creating a monster

I just do a light vinaigrette. A splash or two of cider vinegar on
the just-washed spinach (add a touch of water if the spinach is dry to
cut the acidity), about twice as much vegetable oil as vinegar, salt,
pepper. Toss, then add the pears, etc.

Candied Walnuts

Boil water in a saucepan. Add 1 c or so walnuts, turn off the heat
and wait 3 min. Drain walnuts, pat dry. While still warm toss with
1/2 tsp salt and 1 tbsp honey. Then add 2-3 tbsp granulated sugar.
Spread on a cookie sheet for an hour. Then cook at 350-375F for 8
minutes. Let cool. They will get crisp as they cool.

Sue(tm)
kilikini

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> "kilikini" > tap, tap, tapped out in
> :
>

> > "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> > 4...
> >> I have been eating ham all week and decided to do a rib roast
> >> instead. I have some recipes I got off of www.finedining.com that I
> >> have made in the past and all have been terrific. I can not decide
> >> on which sides I want

> >> make. I think I'll do simple sides. Maybe asparagus and roasted red
> >> new potatoes. I'll throw in some carrots maybe. I'm not sure yet. I
> >> want to do a salad but I can't make up my mind. I bought some arugula
> >> so I'll probably do something with that. Toasted walnuts, gorgonzola
> >> maybe with a light dressing.I've got peppermint ice cream for dessert
> >> which I made in my ice cream maker. I'm serving for 6 people. Here is
> >> the menu so far: It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't.
> >> Garnishes are up to you
> >>

> > (recipes snipped)
> >
> > And I'll end up eating a ham sandwich. Oh well.
> >
> > kili

> If you live near St. Louis come on over. I always make too much food.

Oh,
> I forgot to mention the deviled eggs. They are a must at every holiday
> gathering. The eggs have been boiled and are in the fridge. I'm going to
> hoarde a few of the eggs and make egg salad
>
> Michael
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

I really do love deviled eggs! Wish I could come by, but Hawaii and St.
Louis aren't really close on the map. LOL. Thanks tho!

kili

Saerah

Bubbablue wrote in message ...
>John Gaughan > wrote in message

>> Easter will be simple, mainly because there are only two of us and I do
>> not want a refrigerator full of leftovers like after Thanksgiving last
>> year. We are having roast turkey (brined) and whipped potatoes.

>We are having roast turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots, stuffing, and
>whatever other vegetable I can find in the refrigerator. Maybe red
>cabbage.
>
>The turkey won't be brined and the mashed potatoes will be made with
>potatoes, basil, salt, pepper and olive oil, and maybe a little rice
>milk.

since my in-laws are out of town, i'm making steaks for my husband and I.
they are marinating in a bacon fat/maple syrup/orange juice mixture
deep-fried sweet potato slices, potato salad (my husband's grandmother's
recipe), and steamed asparagus are what im planning as sides (i know; two
kinds of potatoes. but i promised my husband :>)
banana bread for dessert, if i get around to making some :>

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it
had an underlying truth."

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

Levelwave©

John Gaughan wrote:

> I do not see what this has to do with Easter dinner, but then again, I
> am not familiar with how you celebrate it. For all I know you eat your
> cats' assholes. I mean, they are cats, it is not like they hide it. Tail
> up, Sheldon down!

http://www.levelwave.com/avatar/dogknows.jpg

~john

--
"Black holes are where God divided by Zero." - Steven Wright
Levelwave©

John Gaughan wrote:

> Do not mock the all-knowing Oracle, Google! :-P

Google is not "the one"... There will be another... And his name will be
"Gopher"...

~john

--
"Black holes are where God divided by Zero." - Steven Wright
Bob

I'm cooking for seven adults this time around; here's what I'm making:

Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Aioli: I'm serving this as an hors d'oeuvre;
the asparagus will be lined up in a rectangular dish with the aioli on the
side. The guests will sit around dipping the asparagus and sipping
Chardonnay while waiting for dinner to emerge from the oven.

Strawberry Spring Salad: The recipe was posted here last year and
attributed to Jack Schidt. It was a BIG hit when I made it a year ago. I
plan to serve the salad separately, because my guests tend to rave about the
salads I make, but I find that with these particular guests, if the salad
gets served at the same time as the main course, it gets lost in the
shuffle.

Boiled New Potatoes with Butter and Parsley

Green Peas with Mint and Butter (I think this recipe's a little interesting:
You cook green peas in water which has been seasoned with salt and *sugar*.
When they're done cooking, you drain them and toss with butter and mint
chiffonade.)

{I was also going to make tarragon glazed baby carrots, but I couldn't find
good-quality baby carrots.}

Herbed Rack of Lamb (I'm following Martha Stewart's "Rack of Lamb 101",
which can be found on foodnetwork.com.)

Popovers (I follow the Moosewood Cookbook's recipe)

Tart Tatin with Cinnamon Ice Cream (Kate Connolly posted a recipe for Tart
Tatin here last September, along with the variations she'd adopted. I didn't
vary from the "main" recipe. I used a mixture of Braeburn and Golden
Delicious apples.)

I think my girlfriend intends to contribute deviled eggs.

I'm serving Chardonnay with the asparagus, as I mentioned. I've got a couple
bottles of Moscato d'Asti which will accompany the salad quite nicely. With
dinner, I'm serving a Cabernet-Franc-based red Bordeaux which I recently
received as a gift. With dessert, I plan to offer a selection of liqueurs
(Tia Maria in particular, but since I don't care for applejack or calvados,
neither of those will be offered.) Bottled water and iced jasmine tea will
also be available throughout the meal -- these folks like their iced tea
SWEET.

In reading over this discussion, I was surprised to note that nobody else is
making lamb for Easter. I thought lamb was the *traditional* Easter roast.

Bob

Curly Sue

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:36:33 -0400, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Levelwave=A9?=
> wrote:

>John Gaughan wrote:
>
>> Do not mock the all-knowing Oracle, Google! :-P

>Google is not "the one"... There will be another... And his name will be
>"Gopher"...
>
>~john

"Gopher"? I haven't heard that one in a loooong time.

Sue(tm)
Lou

By any chance, do you have a recipe for huli-huli pig? It's been almost 20
years since I was stationed in Hawaii and had the honor of being invited to
a true luau...the food was the absolute best...and the combination of ham,
Easter and your mention of Hawaii prompted me to ask...

Thanks--
Lou Lou

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> 4...
> > "kilikini" > tap, tap, tapped out in
> > :
> >

> > > "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> > > 4...
> > >>

> > > (recipes snipped)
> > >
> > > And I'll end up eating a ham sandwich. Oh well.
> > >
> > > kili

> > If you live near St. Louis come on over. I always make too much food.

> Oh,
> > I forgot to mention the deviled eggs. They are a must at every holiday
> > gathering. The eggs have been boiled and are in the fridge. I'm going

> > hoarde a few of the eggs and make egg salad
> >
> > Michael
> > --
> > Deathbed statement...
> >
> > "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> > ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

> I really do love deviled eggs! Wish I could come by, but Hawaii and St.
> Louis aren't really close on the map. LOL. Thanks tho!
>
> kili

hahabogus

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
4:

> Gopher"? I haven't heard that one in a loooong time.

Archie? Veronica?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Curly Sue

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:31:35 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
. 44:

>> Gopher"? I haven't heard that one in a loooong time.
>>

>Archie? Veronica?

Ah, the good old days!

Sue(tm)
sf

On 11 Apr 2004 04:50:09 -0500, "Bob"
> wrote:

> In reading over this discussion, I was surprised to note that nobody else is
> making lamb for Easter. I thought lamb was the *traditional* Easter roast.

I made lamb. Love it, love it, love it!

I marinated my lamb in lots of chopped garlic, freshly
pruned rosemary finely chopped, about a quarter tsp each of
dried thyme and oregano, s & p to taste. All of that was
mixed with equalish parts (by eye) of EVOO and white wine
vinegar... totaling not much more than 1/2 a cup.

I plopped the boneless leg of lamb in a zip lock, massaged
the marinade all over it and let it sit for a few hours in
the fridge before grilling (I stabilized it with some long
skewers) on the Weber with a few rosemary branches over the
coals to create smoke.

I was on a garlic & rosemary kick, so I cut my new potatoes
into very small chunks, marinated them in EVOO, garlic &
rosemary and then roasted them until browned in a single
layer on a large cookie sheet.

This was a no fuss meal, so the asparagus went into the oven
coated with garlic and EVOO when the potatoes were almost
done.

In spite of all that EVOO, garlic and rosemary, the meal
didn't taste redundant... and it was practically no fuss.

Wine was a 99 Symmetry by Rodney Strong... which I shouldn't
have opened because it needed more age.
<sigh>

Dessert was an old fashioned strawberry shortcake (one big
biscuit) cut into wedges and served with whipped cream.

Wayne Boatwright

Easter Dinner (for one)

My SO is in hospital following quadruple bypass surgery, to return home
tomorrow. Our friends live quite a distance, so turning down two Easter
dinner invitations was the only choice.

I wasn't planning on having a real "Easter Dinner", but on the way home
from the hospital I stopped at the supermarket to pick up something for my
dinner. Just then it dawned on me that I'd cook something anyway, so why
not something with an Easter touch.

I picked up a nice slice of ham, a large garnet sweet potato, a bunch of
asparagus, and a nice portion of tiramisu.

I broiled the ham slice, flipped and broiled the second side with pineapple
slices and a dusting of brown sugar. The sweet potato was simply baked and
eaten with just a dollop of butter, the asparagus just steamed, buttered
lightly, and sprinkled with fresh lemon juice.

The meal was delicious, including the store-bought tiramisu, and thoroughly
enjoyed by someone who hadn't even eaten a proper meal in a week!

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

MisNomer > wrote in
:

> It sounds delicious!
>
> Prayers for your SO's quick recovery!
>
> take care
> Liz

Thanks, Liz!
Nancy Young

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> The meal was delicious, including the store-bought tiramisu, and thoroughly
> enjoyed by someone who hadn't even eaten a proper meal in a week!

Wow, I'm really happy you treated yourself to a nice meal, you must
have had a rough week. I hope your SO is back on their feet and
home soon.

nancy
Wayne Boatwright

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
4:

> I hope your SO gets better soon. Sounds like you made the day
> positive and tasty at the same time
>
> Michael

Thanks for the good wishes, Michael. Overall, it was a good day.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> The meal was delicious, including the store-bought tiramisu, and
>> thoroughly enjoyed by someone who hadn't even eaten a proper meal in
>> a week!

> Wow, I'm really happy you treated yourself to a nice meal, you must
> have had a rough week. I hope your SO is back on their feet and
> home soon.
>
> nancy

Thanks, Nancy! It was a stressful week, but the end results are all
positive.

Cheers,
Wayne
sf

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 05:27:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> My SO is in hospital following quadruple bypass surgery, to return home
> tomorrow.

Please pass along my wishes for a speedy recovery!

Donna Rose

> > In reading over this discussion, I was surprised to note that nobody else is
> > making lamb for Easter. I thought lamb was the *traditional* Easter roast.

I made a fresh ham, my very first attempt to cook one. I must say, it
was fabulous! I'll definitely buy that cut again.

I rubbed it with a homemade rub (similar to Emeril's essence), poked lots
of holes in it and stuffed whole garlic cloves inside. I scored the skin
the same way you would on a smoked ham, and it got extra crispy yet most
of the underlying layer of fat dripped out during the cooking process. I
cooked it on the grill, over indirect heat, for about four hours (I kept
the cover closed and kept the temperature at around 350F).

Served it with braised cabbage with caramelized onions and apples,
scalloped potatoes and stuffed artichokes. Salad was my favorite:
tomato, basil and mozzarella with balsamic and olive oil. Dessert was
plum strudel with vanilla ice cream and homemade truffles.

It was a 10 pound ham and fed 10 hungry people, most of whom had seconds,
with a fair amount of leftovers. I had actually bought a small leg of
lamb that I had intended to make shish kabobs with, but four of our
guests had to cancel and so I decided to save the lamb for another time.

--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.
PENMART01

>Donna Rose
>
>I made a fresh ham, my very first attempt to cook one. I must say, it
>was fabulous! I'll definitely buy that cut again.
>
>I rubbed it with a homemade rub (similar to Emeril's essence), poked lots
>of holes in it and stuffed whole garlic cloves inside. I scored the skin
>the same way you would on a smoked ham, and it got extra crispy yet most
>of the underlying layer of fat dripped out during the cooking process. I
>cooked it on the grill, over indirect heat, for about four hours (I kept
>the cover closed and kept the temperature at around 350F).

Oboy! Fresh ham is the best cut of meat there is, if I had to choose only one
cut of meat to subsist on for my entire life it would be fresh ham.

Fresh ham is wonderful, especially grilled as you describe... next time have
your ham boned and stuff it with fruit, nuts, wild 'shrooms and crumbs, some
olives too. No cured ham can compare with a fresh ham... cured ham is nothing
more than preserved meat... would be like going out for dinner and ordering the
beef jerky platter instead of a perfectly grilled porterhouse. I mean
sometimes a fistful of Slim Jims with a six pack fills the bill, but for a
steady diet that's for those with their taste in their ass.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 05:27:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> My SO is in hospital following quadruple bypass surgery, to return
>> home tomorrow.

> Please pass along my wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thank you, I certainly will! We just arrived home about an hour ago.

Wayne
Donna Rose

In article >,
says...
> >Donna Rose
> >
> >I made a fresh ham, my very first attempt to cook one. I must say, it
> >was fabulous! I'll definitely buy that cut again.
> >
> >I rubbed it with a homemade rub (similar to Emeril's essence), poked lots
> >of holes in it and stuffed whole garlic cloves inside. I scored the skin
> >the same way you would on a smoked ham, and it got extra crispy yet most
> >of the underlying layer of fat dripped out during the cooking process. I
> >cooked it on the grill, over indirect heat, for about four hours (I kept
> >the cover closed and kept the temperature at around 350F).

> Oboy! Fresh ham is the best cut of meat there is, if I had to choose only one
> cut of meat to subsist on for my entire life it would be fresh ham.

I was amazed how delicious it was! Juicy, melt-in-your-mouth tender! It
was wonderful. Don't know why I never made one of these before - I've
eaten it many times - my ex FIL used to cook them all the time.

> Fresh ham is wonderful, especially grilled as you describe... next time have
> your ham boned and stuff it with fruit, nuts, wild 'shrooms and crumbs, some
> olives too. No cured ham can compare with a fresh ham... cured ham is nothing
> more than preserved meat... would be like going out for dinner and ordering the
> beef jerky platter instead of a perfectly grilled porterhouse. I mean
> sometimes a fistful of Slim Jims with a six pack fills the bill, but for a
> steady diet that's for those with their taste in their ass.

I actually downloaded a recipe for a stuffed fresh ham, but as this was
my first venture, I decided to just go simple this time around. I'll
definitely try a stuffed one next time.

A cured ham, to me, is nothing more than luncheon meat...lots and lots of
luncheon meat. Definitely has its place, but not my idea of a holiday
meal.

--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

PENMART01

>Donna Rose writes:
>
>penmart01 says:
>> >Donna Rose wrote:
>> >
>> >I made a fresh ham, my very first attempt to cook one. I must say, it
>> >was fabulous! I'll definitely buy that cut again.
>> >
>> >I rubbed it with a homemade rub (similar to Emeril's essence), poked lots
>> >of holes in it and stuffed whole garlic cloves inside. I scored the skin
>> >the same way you would on a smoked ham, and it got extra crispy yet most
>> >of the underlying layer of fat dripped out during the cooking process. I
>> >cooked it on the grill, over indirect heat, for about four hours (I kept
>> >the cover closed and kept the temperature at around 350F).

>> Oboy! Fresh ham is the best cut of meat there is, if I had to choose only

>one
>> cut of meat to subsist on for my entire life it would be fresh ham.
>>

>I was amazed how delicious it was! Juicy, melt-in-your-mouth tender! It
>was wonderful. Don't know why I never made one of these before - I've
>eaten it many times - my ex FIL used to cook them all the time.
>
>> Fresh ham is wonderful, especially grilled as you describe... next time

>have
>> your ham boned and stuff it with fruit, nuts, wild 'shrooms and crumbs,

>some
>> olives too. No cured ham can compare with a fresh ham... cured ham is

>nothing
>> more than preserved meat... would be like going out for dinner and ordering

>the
>> beef jerky platter instead of a perfectly grilled porterhouse. I mean
>> sometimes a fistful of Slim Jims with a six pack fills the bill, but for a
>> steady diet that's for those with their taste in their ass.
>>

>I actually downloaded a recipe for a stuffed fresh ham, but as this was
>my first venture, I decided to just go simple this time around. I'll
>definitely try a stuffed one next time.
>
>A cured ham, to me, is nothing more than luncheon meat...lots and lots of
>luncheon meat. Definitely has its place, but not my idea of a holiday
>meal.

Exactly.

SMITHFIELD, PROSCIUTTO WESTPHALIAN, and all the rest, they're as you say,
luncheon meat. Why someone would pay $15/lb for what before preserving cost a
buck twenty five a pound is beyond all rationale... only proves once again that
most folks have their taste in their ass.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Kate Connally

Donna Rose wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> > >Donna Rose
> > >
> > >I made a fresh ham, my very first attempt to cook one. I must say, it
> > >was fabulous! I'll definitely buy that cut again.
> > >
> > >I rubbed it with a homemade rub (similar to Emeril's essence), poked lots
> > >of holes in it and stuffed whole garlic cloves inside. I scored the skin
> > >the same way you would on a smoked ham, and it got extra crispy yet most
> > >of the underlying layer of fat dripped out during the cooking process. I
> > >cooked it on the grill, over indirect heat, for about four hours (I kept
> > >the cover closed and kept the temperature at around 350F).

> > Oboy! Fresh ham is the best cut of meat there is, if I had to choose only one
> > cut of meat to subsist on for my entire life it would be fresh ham.
> >

> I was amazed how delicious it was! Juicy, melt-in-your-mouth tender! It
> was wonderful. Don't know why I never made one of these before - I've
> eaten it many times - my ex FIL used to cook them all the time.
>
> > Fresh ham is wonderful, especially grilled as you describe... next time have
> > your ham boned and stuff it with fruit, nuts, wild 'shrooms and crumbs, some
> > olives too. No cured ham can compare with a fresh ham... cured ham is nothing
> > more than preserved meat... would be like going out for dinner and ordering the
> > beef jerky platter instead of a perfectly grilled porterhouse. I mean
> > sometimes a fistful of Slim Jims with a six pack fills the bill, but for a
> > steady diet that's for those with their taste in their ass.
> >

> I actually downloaded a recipe for a stuffed fresh ham, but as this was
> my first venture, I decided to just go simple this time around. I'll
> definitely try a stuffed one next time.
>
> A cured ham, to me, is nothing more than luncheon meat...lots and lots of
> luncheon meat. Definitely has its place, but not my idea of a holiday
> meal.

A *GOOD* cured ham is nothing like luncheon meat.
For years I hated ham but when I was in my late
30's I went to my aunt's for Easter dinner and she
had a really good (read "expensive") ham that she
ordered from one of those gourmet catalogues. It
was exquisite. There is a humongous difference between
a good ham and those crappy ones you buy in the super-
market. I'm now a ham lover - but of good hams only.

Pork is my favorite meat but I've never had a fresh
ham. I'll have to give it a try sometime. Yours
sounds like it was delicious.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

PENMART01

> Kate Connally
>Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:05:03 -0400

et>

>Donna Rose wrote:
>>
>> In article >,

says...

>lots

>skin
>> >
>> > Oboy! Fresh ham is the best cut of meat there is, if I had to choose

>only one
>> > cut of meat to subsist on for my entire life it would be fresh ham.
>> >

>> I was amazed how delicious it was! Juicy, melt-in-your-mouth tender! It
>> was wonderful. Don't know why I never made one of these before - I've
>> eaten it many times - my ex FIL used to cook them all the time.
>>
>> > Fresh ham is wonderful, especially grilled as you describe... next time

>have
>> > your ham boned and stuff it with fruit, nuts, wild 'shrooms and crumbs,

>some
>> > olives too. No cured ham can compare with a fresh ham... cured ham is

>nothing
>> > more than preserved meat... would be like going out for dinner and

>ordering the
>> > beef jerky platter instead of a perfectly grilled porterhouse. I mean
>> > sometimes a fistful of Slim Jims with a six pack fills the bill, but for

>> > steady diet that's for those with their taste in their ass.
>> >

>> I actually downloaded a recipe for a stuffed fresh ham, but as this was
>> my first venture, I decided to just go simple this time around. I'll
>> definitely try a stuffed one next time.
>>
>> A cured ham, to me, is nothing more than luncheon meat...lots and lots of
>> luncheon meat. Definitely has its place, but not my idea of a holiday
>> meal.

>A *GOOD* cured ham is nothing like luncheon meat.

WTF type of ham is "GOOD"... my search reveals nothing... if you were saying
the truth you'd know which type of ham you had... you're not in the least
believable.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Ranee Mueller

In article >, "Bob"
> wrote:

> In reading over this discussion, I was surprised to note that nobody
> else is making lamb for Easter. I thought lamb was the *traditional*
> Easter roast.

We made two legs of lamb for Easter. Or legs of Jill, since we know
the name of the lamb, as our friend's son raised her. I roasted a turkey
breast as well, in case there were people who didn't want lamb, but only
Rich and I ate of it.

We also made pita bread and hummus. I made two triple chocolate
cheesecakes and we put out a couple veggie trays.

The rest was potluck, we had our church over for a feast. There were
two salads, tabbouleh, a white bean dish, that green bean casserole, a
fruit plate, cheese straws, chips & salsa, marinated asparagus, a cross
cake made out of lemon cake and whipped cream frosting, carrot cake made
into eggs and bunnies, lots of wine, beer, juice and sparkling cider and
that sparkling grape juice I mentioned a little while ago. I think
there was more, but I can't remember what else it was.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

Easter dinner Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 4 01-04-2012 05:23 AM
Easter Dinner gloria.p General Cooking 33 09-04-2010 12:12 AM
Easter Dinner 4-10 sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 05-04-2010 06:35 AM
Easter Dinner was... merryb General Cooking 14 26-03-2008 02:38 PM