Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easter Dinner was...

Out of this world, thanks to you that posted these recipes that I
tried. We had ham with homemade fennel mustard, Pommes Americanes,and
some fantastic baked beans (thanks to Terry "Squeaks". Also had
steamed asparagus, Caesar Salad, & Strawberry/Spinach Salad, which was
a big hit- thanks, Kili! For dessert, carrot cake cupcakes with cream
cheese icing, thanks to Wayne, and Bakesale Betty's Lemon Bars. A few
other things too, but I wanted to thank these people for posting their
recipes that helped make our dinner great!! Hope all of yours was
great, too. Since I post from Google, and so many of you filter it
out, could you please help me make my thanks known?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 24, 11:39*am, merryb > wrote:
> [snip]
> Since I post from Google, and so many of you filter it
> out, could you please help me make my thanks known?

Sorry, I post from Google too, so if they filter you out, they filter
me out. Their loss in both cases. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> Out of this world, thanks to you that posted these recipes that I
> tried. We had ham with homemade fennel mustard, Pommes Americanes,and
> some fantastic baked beans (thanks to Terry "Squeaks". Also had
> steamed asparagus, Caesar Salad, & Strawberry/Spinach Salad, which was
> a big hit- thanks, Kili! For dessert, carrot cake cupcakes with cream
> cheese icing, thanks to Wayne, and Bakesale Betty's Lemon Bars. A few
> other things too, but I wanted to thank these people for posting their
> recipes that helped make our dinner great!! Hope all of yours was
> great, too. Since I post from Google, and so many of you filter it
> out, could you please help me make my thanks known?

Ours was roasted boneless leg of lamb. I made some mint sauce for it. We
roasted some potatoes, carrots and parsnip and steamed some broccoli. We
were going to have asparagus but we did the shopping on Thursday to make
sure we got some lamb before the Easter rush and I didn't want to get
asparagus that far ahead. I forgot to go out and get some on Saturday.
So...... broccoli instead.

My wife's meringue shells turned out beautifully. I made some ice cream to
serve them with and some fruit salad with pineapple, kiwis, grapes, frozen
raspberries and banana, and chocolate sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 12:51*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > Out of this world, thanks to you that posted these recipes that I
> > tried. We had ham with homemade fennel mustard, Pommes Americanes,and
> > some fantastic baked beans (thanks to Terry "Squeaks". Also had
> > steamed asparagus, Caesar Salad, & Strawberry/Spinach Salad, which was
> > a big hit- thanks, Kili! For dessert, carrot cake cupcakes with cream
> > cheese icing, thanks to Wayne, and Bakesale Betty's Lemon Bars. A few
> > other things too, but I wanted to thank these people for posting their
> > recipes that helped make our dinner great!! Hope all of yours *was
> > great, too. Since I post from Google, and so many of you filter it
> > out, could you please help me make my thanks known?

> Ours was roasted *boneless leg of lamb. I made some mint sauce for it. We
> roasted some potatoes, carrots and parsnip and steamed some broccoli. *We
> were going to have asparagus but we did the shopping on Thursday to make
> sure we got some lamb before the Easter rush and I didn't want to get
> asparagus that far ahead. I forgot to go out and get some on Saturday.
> So...... broccoli instead.
>
> My wife's meringue shells turned out beautifully. I made some ice cream to
> serve them with and some fruit salad with pineapple, kiwis, grapes, frozen
> raspberries and banana, and chocolate sauce.

Wow- that all sounds great! What kind of ice cream did you make?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> > Ours was roasted boneless leg of lamb. I made some mint sauce for it. We
> > roasted some potatoes, carrots and parsnip and steamed some broccoli. We
> > were going to have asparagus but we did the shopping on Thursday to make
> > sure we got some lamb before the Easter rush and I didn't want to get
> > asparagus that far ahead. I forgot to go out and get some on Saturday.
> > So...... broccoli instead.
> >
> > My wife's meringue shells turned out beautifully. I made some ice cream to
> > serve them with and some fruit salad with pineapple, kiwis, grapes, frozen
> > raspberries and banana, and chocolate sauce.

> Wow- that all sounds great! What kind of ice cream did you make?

Thanks. It was delicious. I made Vanilla, but I messed up slightly and got more
of an egg custard. My wife had used 5 egg whites for the meringues and it seemed
like a good time to make ice cream because there were 5 egg yolks left over. The
trick was to get out the two yolks I needed to whip up with the sugar and
vanilla, and I was so worried about getting out two yolks that I got a little
fixated on that process and accidentally put them in the cream, thankfully
before it was hot. So I just beat those two into the cream and cooked them up
with the cream and milk and then beat the rest of them to be tempered later. It
turned out this and rich and thick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Mar 24, 11:39 am, merryb > wrote:
>> [snip]
>> Since I post from Google, and so many of you filter it
>> out, could you please help me make my thanks known?

> Sorry, I post from Google too, so if they filter you out, they filter
> me out. Their loss in both cases. -aem

But neither of you post with @gmail LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Out of this world, thanks to you that posted these recipes that I
> tried. We had ham with homemade fennel mustard, Pommes Americanes,and
> some fantastic baked beans (thanks to Terry "Squeaks". Also had
> steamed asparagus, Caesar Salad, & Strawberry/Spinach Salad, which was
> a big hit- thanks, Kili! For dessert, carrot cake cupcakes with cream
> cheese icing, thanks to Wayne, and Bakesale Betty's Lemon Bars.

I'm glad the dinner was a success! There's a place not far from my mom's
where you pick your own strawberries. Her neighbor told me yesterday the
early crop of berries are nice and sweet

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 1:45*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > Out of this world, thanks to you that posted these recipes that I
> > tried. We had ham with homemade fennel mustard, Pommes Americanes,and
> > some fantastic baked beans (thanks to Terry "Squeaks". Also had
> > steamed asparagus, Caesar Salad, & Strawberry/Spinach Salad, which was
> > a big hit- thanks, Kili! For dessert, carrot cake cupcakes with cream
> > cheese icing, thanks to Wayne, and Bakesale Betty's Lemon Bars.

> I'm glad the dinner was a success! *There's a place not far from my mom's
> where you pick your own strawberries. *Her neighbor told me yesterday the
> early crop of berries are nice and sweet
>
> Jill

We won't get local berries here until about late May- June
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" < wrote in message
> aem wrote:
>> On Mar 24, 11:39 am, merryb > wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> Since I post from Google, and so many of you filter it
>>> out, could you please help me make my thanks known?

>> Sorry, I post from Google too, so if they filter you out, they filter
>> me out. Their loss in both cases. -aem
>>

> But neither of you post with @gmail LOL

Bingo! Both came in fine for us that filter that way. Now, if one filters
all 'GG', then yes, they didnt see either of them I guess.

Thats why I dont do it that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Out of this world, thanks to you that posted these recipes that I
> tried. We had ham with homemade fennel mustard, Pommes Americanes,and
> some fantastic baked beans (thanks to Terry "Squeaks". Also had
> steamed asparagus, Caesar Salad, & Strawberry/Spinach Salad, which was
> a big hit- thanks, Kili! For dessert, carrot cake cupcakes with cream
> cheese icing, thanks to Wayne, and Bakesale Betty's Lemon Bars. A few
> other things too, but I wanted to thank these people for posting their
> recipes that helped make our dinner great!! Hope all of yours was
> great, too. Since I post from Google, and so many of you filter it
> out, could you please help me make my thanks known?

Sounds like it was great!

Our Menu:
Mimosas made with Blood Orange juice
Deviled eggs
Spinach/strawberry salad (not kili's but one I got from allrecipes. So
good!)
Roast lamb with gravy
Cherry stuffed ham with peach glaze
Peppery scalloped potatoes
Roast potatoes/carrots/onions

For dessert our guests brought a pecan pie and an Italian easter
cake...(brand name Baouli, titled "La Columba"...haven't cut it yet
actually...I don't generally like the italian easter cakes....very dry.)

--
**** you TWOP forums.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 25, 3:18*am, ravenlynne > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > Out of this world, thanks to you that posted these recipes that I
> > tried. We had ham with homemade fennel mustard, Pommes Americanes,and
> > some fantastic baked beans (thanks to Terry "Squeaks". Also had
> > steamed asparagus, Caesar Salad, & Strawberry/Spinach Salad, which was
> > a big hit- thanks, Kili! For dessert, carrot cake cupcakes with cream
> > cheese icing, thanks to Wayne, and Bakesale Betty's Lemon Bars. A few
> > other things too, but I wanted to thank these people for posting their
> > recipes that helped make our dinner great!! Hope all of yours *was
> > great, too. Since I post from Google, and so many of you filter it
> > out, could you please help me make my thanks known?

> Sounds like it was great!
>
> Our Menu:
> Mimosas made with Blood Orange juice
> Deviled eggs
> Spinach/strawberry salad (not kili's but one I got from allrecipes. So
> good!)
> Roast lamb with gravy
> Cherry stuffed ham with peach glaze
> Peppery scalloped potatoes
> Roast potatoes/carrots/onions
>
> For dessert our guests brought a pecan pie and an Italian easter
> cake...(brand name Baouli, titled "La Columba"...haven't cut it yet
> actually...I don't generally like the italian easter cakes....very dry.)
>
> --
> **** you TWOP forums.

Wow- your dinner sounds great, too! I'm really liking the strawberry/
spinach salad. I used the last bit of Balsamico I had, so I guess I
will have to go up to Delaurenti's to get some more!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

> Our Menu:
> Mimosas made with Blood Orange juice
> Deviled eggs
> Spinach/strawberry salad (not kili's but one I got from allrecipes. So
> good!)
> Roast lamb with gravy
> Cherry stuffed ham with peach glaze
> Peppery scalloped potatoes
> Roast potatoes/carrots/onions

Reminds me of a dinner party (pot luck) I once attended where all three
guests brought potatoes (all prepared differently) and no one brought
any vegetable side dishes. LOL It was good for a laugh at the time.

Tell me about the cherry stuffed ham? Were they fresh cherries? What else..?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> Wow- your dinner sounds great, too! I'm really liking the strawberry/
> spinach salad. I used the last bit of Balsamico I had, so I guess I
> will have to go up to Delaurenti's to get some more!

Here's the recipe to the one I made. It's from allrecipes.com titled
"Springtime Spinach Salad." I used balsamic instead of cider vinegar
because it was all I had besides the plain white I had for dying eggs.
Also, I used blood orange segments (they were on sale at Carrefour)
instead of the mandarin oranges and completely forgot the croutons:

--
**** you TWOP forums.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Reminds me of a dinner party (pot luck) I once attended where all three
> guests brought potatoes (all prepared differently) and no one brought
> any vegetable side dishes. LOL It was good for a laugh at the time.
>
> Tell me about the cherry stuffed ham? Were they fresh cherries? What
> else..?

LOL..I made it that way on purpose...I really wanted scalloped with the
ham, but my husband doesn't like it, so we had one of each. There were
tons of carrots in the roasted dish and with the salad I figured it was
enough. Our guests brought store bought potato salad. yay.

Basically for the ham, I took 1/2 orange juice, brought it to a boil
then added the cherries, moved from heat and let them sit. After they
were cooled I made slits in the ham and shoved them in. During the last
10 minutes of baking I added the glaze which was peach preserves, a
splash of orange juice and the remaining cherries that I didn't stuff
in. Made the skin taste nice and a nice sauce as well.

--
**** you TWOP forums.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> ravenlynne wrote:
>
>> Our Menu:
>> Mimosas made with Blood Orange juice
>> Deviled eggs
>> Spinach/strawberry salad (not kili's but one I got from allrecipes.
>> So good!)
>> Roast lamb with gravy
>> Cherry stuffed ham with peach glaze
>> Peppery scalloped potatoes
>> Roast potatoes/carrots/onions
>>

> Reminds me of a dinner party (pot luck) I once attended where all
> three guests brought potatoes (all prepared differently) and no one
> brought
> any vegetable side dishes. LOL It was good for a laugh at the time.

At least it wasn't all desserts!

Jill

Easter dinner Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 4 01-04-2012 05:23 AM
Easter Dinner gloria.p General Cooking 33 09-04-2010 12:12 AM
Easter Dinner 4-10 sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 05-04-2010 06:35 AM
Easter Dinner John Gaughan General Cooking 47 24-04-2004 07:01 PM