Kate Connally

Default Easter food - I'm making kulick and paska this year

I can't wait. I've only made them once before
many years ago. So I got a craving and decided
to make them this year. We're going to a friend's
house and I'm bringing my famous curried eggs (Stuffed
Eggs Dikker en Thijs (sp?)) and my famous dove breads
and the kulich and paska.

For those who don't now these are traditional
Russian Easter foods. Kulich is a sweet bread with
saffron and raisins, and typically baked in a coffee-
can-shaped contained to create a tall cylindrical
loaf. The top is iced and decorated with almonds and
candied fruits. Paska is a sweet cheese spread that
contains candied fruits and almonds. It is traditionally
molded into a truncated pyramid shape and it is also
decorated with candied fruits and almonds. The paska
is spread on slices of kulich. Yummy.

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

kilikini

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> I can't wait. I've only made them once before
> many years ago. So I got a craving and decided
> to make them this year. We're going to a friend's
> house and I'm bringing my famous curried eggs (Stuffed
> Eggs Dikker en Thijs (sp?)) and my famous dove breads
> and the kulich and paska.
>
> For those who don't now these are traditional
> Russian Easter foods. Kulich is a sweet bread with
> saffron and raisins, and typically baked in a coffee-
> can-shaped contained to create a tall cylindrical
> loaf. The top is iced and decorated with almonds and
> candied fruits. Paska is a sweet cheese spread that
> contains candied fruits and almonds. It is traditionally
> molded into a truncated pyramid shape and it is also
> decorated with candied fruits and almonds. The paska
> is spread on slices of kulich. Yummy.
>
> Kate
> --
> Kate Connally
> "If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already."
> Goldfish: "The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> Until you bite their heads off."
> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

Glad you explained it, 'cause I was going to ask. LOL. I hear about so
many different ethnic foods from all of you, but I can never remember them!
It would be fun to have an ethnic food night and have everyone get together
and bring an old household favorite. I'll bring red cabbage, german potato
salad, and pork roasted with sauerkraut. That's about as ethnic as I get!
Ha ha ha.

kili

Wayne Boatwright

Kate Connally > wrote in news:4076BB23.66610F30
@pitt.edu:

> I can't wait. I've only made them once before
> many years ago. So I got a craving and decided
> to make them this year. We're going to a friend's
> house and I'm bringing my famous curried eggs (Stuffed
> Eggs Dikker en Thijs (sp?)) and my famous dove breads
> and the kulich and paska.
>
> For those who don't now these are traditional
> Russian Easter foods. Kulich is a sweet bread with
> saffron and raisins, and typically baked in a coffee-
> can-shaped contained to create a tall cylindrical
> loaf. The top is iced and decorated with almonds and
> candied fruits. Paska is a sweet cheese spread that
> contains candied fruits and almonds. It is traditionally
> molded into a truncated pyramid shape and it is also
> decorated with candied fruits and almonds. The paska
> is spread on slices of kulich. Yummy.
>
> Kate

Both delicious! I have eaten both, but never made either one. There is
also a version of paska, Chechoslovakian (sp?) I think, that is plain
(without candied fruits or nuts) and molded in a ball shape. Yours
sounds even better!

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> "Kate Connally" > wrote in message
>> I can't wait. I've only made them once before
>> many years ago. So I got a craving and decided
>> to make them this year. We're going to a friend's
>> house and I'm bringing my famous curried eggs (Stuffed
>> Eggs Dikker en Thijs (sp?)) and my famous dove breads
>> and the kulich and paska.
>>
>> For those who don't now these are traditional
>> Russian Easter foods. Kulich is a sweet bread with
>> saffron and raisins, and typically baked in a coffee-
>> can-shaped contained to create a tall cylindrical
>> loaf. The top is iced and decorated with almonds and
>> candied fruits. Paska is a sweet cheese spread that
>> contains candied fruits and almonds. It is traditionally
>> molded into a truncated pyramid shape and it is also
>> decorated with candied fruits and almonds. The paska
>> is spread on slices of kulich. Yummy.
>>
>> Kate
>> --
>> Kate Connally
>> "If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already."
>> Goldfish: "The wholesome snack that smiles back,
>> Until you bite their heads off."
>> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
>>

> Glad you explained it, 'cause I was going to ask. LOL. I hear about
> so many different ethnic foods from all of you, but I can never
> remember them! It would be fun to have an ethnic food night and have
> everyone get together and bring an old household favorite. I'll bring
> red cabbage, german potato salad, and pork roasted with sauerkraut.
> That's about as ethnic as I get! Ha ha ha.
>
> kili

That's ethnic enough for me! <G> I love them all. In fact, I've got
some sweet/sour red cabbage in the freezer right now. Time to thaw and
eat!

Wayne

kilikini

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "kilikini" > wrote in
> :

(snip)

> > Glad you explained it, 'cause I was going to ask. LOL. I hear about
> > so many different ethnic foods from all of you, but I can never
> > remember them! It would be fun to have an ethnic food night and have
> > everyone get together and bring an old household favorite. I'll bring
> > red cabbage, german potato salad, and pork roasted with sauerkraut.
> > That's about as ethnic as I get! Ha ha ha.
> >
> > kili

> That's ethnic enough for me! <G> I love them all. In fact, I've got
> some sweet/sour red cabbage in the freezer right now. Time to thaw and
> eat!
>
> Wayne

I absolutely love red cabbage (family tradition on holidays) and my future
husband-to-be can't stand it or the smell of it. If I cook it he has to
leave the house for the day. If I store it in the 'fridge he complains
about the aroma and won't eat anything in there because it's *contaminated*.
(Yet the man has eaten cow eyeballs.....) Sigh. So, red cabbage is like a
faint rememberance for me. One of those fond foods from my youth.

(If he ever has to leave the island for a week, I'm cooking it! Ha!)

kili

Wayne Boatwright

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> I absolutely love red cabbage (family tradition on holidays) and my
> future husband-to-be can't stand it or the smell of it. If I cook it
> he has to leave the house for the day. If I store it in the 'fridge
> he complains about the aroma and won't eat anything in there because
> it's *contaminated*. (Yet the man has eaten cow eyeballs.....) Sigh.
> So, red cabbage is like a faint rememberance for me. One of those
> fond foods from my youth.
>
> (If he ever has to leave the island for a week, I'm cooking it! Ha!)
>
> kili

Cook some when he's out of the house and freeze in small well-sealed, well-
hidden containers. Thaw, heat, and eat surreptitiously! <G>

Wayne

kilikini

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "kilikini" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I absolutely love red cabbage (family tradition on holidays) and my
> > future husband-to-be can't stand it or the smell of it. If I cook it
> > he has to leave the house for the day. If I store it in the 'fridge
> > he complains about the aroma and won't eat anything in there because
> > it's *contaminated*. (Yet the man has eaten cow eyeballs.....) Sigh.
> > So, red cabbage is like a faint rememberance for me. One of those
> > fond foods from my youth.
> >
> > (If he ever has to leave the island for a week, I'm cooking it! Ha!)
> >
> > kili

> Cook some when he's out of the house and freeze in small well-sealed,

well-
> hidden containers. Thaw, heat, and eat surreptitiously! <G>
>
> Wayne

He he he, thanks for the thought, Wayne!

kili

Gina *

----snip Kate's yummy menu---
I'm making a Smithfield ham the Southern Maryland way: stuffed with
fresh greens. Steamed green beans. Steamed carrots. Mashed taters. A
horseradish-beet-onion relish for the hb eggs. And dessert is sherbert
molded in Easter egg molds.

~~~Gina~~~

Nancy Young

KATE! they are making paska on Martha on Foodtv right now.

nancy
Kevin & Amanda

Hello Everyone: First I want to wish all of you a very HAPPY EASTER.
OH that includes you too Hot Legs Sheldon. Now I have a question.
One of you mentioned bread made in a can. Some time ago my Sister
had a recipe for a bread that was made in a can. It was a very good
bread but I don't think that it had saffron in the recipe. Do any of
you know of any bread in a can recipes that do not use saffron?
Unfortunately she lost the recipe. That recipe was enough to make
four breads. Thank you. Have a nice holiday weekend. Amanda

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne
Boatwright > wrote:

> Both delicious! I have eaten both, but never made either one. There is
> also a version of paska, Chechoslovakian (sp?) I think, that is plain
> (without candied fruits or nuts) and molded in a ball shape. Yours
> sounds even better!
>
> Wayne

In my family, Wayne, paska is the Easter bread -- a rich egg dough. I
wonder if you might be thinking of hrutka -- an "egg cheese" ball.
I've posted the recipe here before, I'm sure. Ingredients are beaten
eggs and milk and a little salt, cooked until the eggs are curdled and
separate from the liquid, then poured through a cheesecloth and rounded
into a ball and drained. Just talked to my sis about it -- she does
hers in the microwave. I may make a small one tomorrow; I'm the only
one here who's interested in eating it. Maybe Sam will like it. :-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.
Wayne Boatwright

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, Wayne
> Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Both delicious! I have eaten both, but never made either one. There
>> is also a version of paska, Chechoslovakian (sp?) I think, that is
>> plain (without candied fruits or nuts) and molded in a ball shape.
>> Yours sounds even better!
>>
>> Wayne

> In my family, Wayne, paska is the Easter bread -- a rich egg dough. I
> wonder if you might be thinking of hrutka -- an "egg cheese" ball.
> I've posted the recipe here before, I'm sure. Ingredients are beaten
> eggs and milk and a little salt, cooked until the eggs are curdled and
> separate from the liquid, then poured through a cheesecloth and
> rounded into a ball and drained. Just talked to my sis about it --
> she does hers in the microwave. I may make a small one tomorrow; I'm
> the only one here who's interested in eating it. Maybe Sam will like
> it. :-)

Yep, Barb, you're right! The ones I've eaten were very slightly
sweetened. That brings to mind another Slovak Easter-related question (I
think)... Are "platki" (sp?) the largish wafers brought from Church to
be taken with a bit of honey at the beginning of the meal?

TIA
Wayne
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne
Boatwright > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >, Wayne
> > Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> Both delicious! I have eaten both, but never made either one. There
> >> is also a version of paska, Chechoslovakian (sp?) I think, that is
> >> plain (without candied fruits or nuts) and molded in a ball shape.
> >> Yours sounds even better!
> >>
> >> Wayne

> > In my family, Wayne, paska is the Easter bread -- a rich egg dough. I
> > wonder if you might be thinking of hrutka -- an "egg cheese" ball.
> > I've posted the recipe here before, I'm sure. Ingredients are beaten
> > eggs and milk and a little salt, cooked until the eggs are curdled and
> > separate from the liquid, then poured through a cheesecloth and
> > rounded into a ball and drained. Just talked to my sis about it --
> > she does hers in the microwave. I may make a small one tomorrow; I'm
> > the only one here who's interested in eating it. Maybe Sam will like
> > it. :-)

> Yep, Barb, you're right! The ones I've eaten were very slightly
> sweetened. That brings to mind another Slovak Easter-related question (I
> think)... Are "platki" (sp?) the largish wafers brought from Church to
> be taken with a bit of honey at the beginning of the meal?
>
> TIA
> Wayne

That's a new one on my, Wayne. I don't know from platky. We have bread
and honey to begin the Christmas Eve Holy Supper, but not at Easter
time.

Oblaten?
(And I didn't make hrutka -- my get up and go got up and went). And if
I had made one, it sure as heck wouldn't have had any sugar or vanilla
extract in it! Gack! To each one's own -- I know, I know. Double
gack!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.
Wayne Boatwright

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, Wayne
> Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
>> :

>> > In my family, Wayne, paska is the Easter bread -- a rich egg dough.
>> > I wonder if you might be thinking of hrutka -- an "egg cheese"
>> > ball. I've posted the recipe here before, I'm sure. Ingredients
>> > are beaten eggs and milk and a little salt, cooked until the eggs
>> > are curdled and separate from the liquid, then poured through a
>> > cheesecloth and rounded into a ball and drained. Just talked to my
>> > sis about it -- she does hers in the microwave. I may make a
>> > small one tomorrow; I'm the only one here who's interested in
>> > eating it. Maybe Sam will like it. :-)

>> Yep, Barb, you're right! The ones I've eaten were very slightly
>> sweetened. That brings to mind another Slovak Easter-related
>> question (I think)... Are "platki" (sp?) the largish wafers brought
>> from Church to be taken with a bit of honey at the beginning of the
>> meal?
>>
>> TIA
>> Wayne

> That's a new one on my, Wayne. I don't know from platky. We have
> bread and honey to begin the Christmas Eve Holy Supper, but not at
> Easter time.

IIRC, the family who shared this with me may have done this at both
Christmas Eve and at Easter. It's been many years ago. Oh, I did Google
and find many references to "platki", but none of the pages were in
English. So much for me understanding a definition! :-)

> Oblaten?

Dunno from oblaten. I don't think I saw a page in English on that one
either.

> (And I didn't make hrutka -- my get up and go got up and went). And
> if I had made one, it sure as heck wouldn't have had any sugar or
> vanilla extract in it! Gack! To each one's own -- I know, I know.
> Double gack!

There was no vanilla and only a hint of sweetness. There was also a
slightly salty taste. I'm sure it varies from family to family.

Wayne
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne
Boatwright > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> :

> IIRC, the family who shared this with me may have done this at both
> Christmas Eve and at Easter. It's been many years ago. Oh, I did Google
> and find many references to "platki", but none of the pages were in
> English. So much for me understanding a definition! :-)

When I visited my relatives in the Old Country in 1992, Cousin Michal's
wife Maria made platsky -- they were potato pancakes. And they were the
best I've ever had, too.
(snip)
> > (And I didn't make hrutka -- my get up and go got up and went). And
> > if I had made one, it sure as heck wouldn't have had any sugar or
> > vanilla extract in it! Gack! To each one's own -- I know, I know.
> > Double gack!

> There was no vanilla and only a hint of sweetness. There was also a
> slightly salty taste. I'm sure it varies from family to family.

For sure. My family's recipe is the True and Correct recipe. "-)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.

Kate Connally

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Both delicious! I have eaten both, but never made either one. There is
> also a version of paska, Chechoslovakian (sp?) I think, that is plain
> (without candied fruits or nuts) and molded in a ball shape. Yours
> sounds even better!
>
> Wayne

It's even better than it sounds from that brief description
above. I made about 1/2 a recipe which was 1 1/2 lbs. of
cottage cheese, drained, then sieved and mixed with 1/2 lb.
of unsalted butter. Then you make a cooked custard from
1 c. of heavy cream, 3 eggs yolks, sugar (1/2 c. ?), and
vanilla. Cook the custard until thickened then chill.
Once cool mix in diced candied fruit and almonds and mix it
all in with the cheese/butter mixture and put in a cheese
cloth-lined mold and drain over night. Unmold and decorate
with more fruits and nuts. This stuff is rich, rich, rich.

I must say that it was a huge hit at my friend's house.
No one there had ever had it before and many of them couldn't
stop raving about how good it was.

The kulich turned out perfect also and was delicious. I have
lots of it left over so will be eating it all week.
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

kilikini wrote:

> "Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> > I can't wait. I've only made them once before
> > many years ago. So I got a craving and decided
> > to make them this year. We're going to a friend's
> > house and I'm bringing my famous curried eggs (Stuffed
> > Eggs Dikker en Thijs (sp?)) and my famous dove breads
> > and the kulich and paska.
> >
> > For those who don't now these are traditional
> > Russian Easter foods. Kulich is a sweet bread with
> > saffron and raisins, and typically baked in a coffee-
> > can-shaped contained to create a tall cylindrical
> > loaf. The top is iced and decorated with almonds and
> > candied fruits. Paska is a sweet cheese spread that
> > contains candied fruits and almonds. It is traditionally
> > molded into a truncated pyramid shape and it is also
> > decorated with candied fruits and almonds. The paska
> > is spread on slices of kulich. Yummy.
> >
> > Kate
> > --
> > Kate Connally
> > "If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already."
> > Goldfish: "The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> > Until you bite their heads off."
> > What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
> >

> Glad you explained it, 'cause I was going to ask. LOL. I hear about so
> many different ethnic foods from all of you, but I can never remember them!
> It would be fun to have an ethnic food night and have everyone get together
> and bring an old household favorite. I'll bring red cabbage, german potato
> salad, and pork roasted with sauerkraut. That's about as ethnic as I get!

That's pretty ethnic. The german potato salad and pork and
sauerkraut I love, but I must have somehow missed the sweet/sour
red cabbage gene from my German ancestors. I don't care for it
at all. But someone else can have my share. ;-)

Actually I'm not Russian - I just like to cook Russian food -
and Hungarian food, and Greek food, and Thai food, and
Mexican food, and African food, etc. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Nancy Young wrote:

> KATE! they are making paska on Martha on Foodtv right now.
>
> nancy

Too bad I don't get FoodTV. I only get basic cable,
the broadcast channels. And they've quit showing
Martha. There used to be a half hour Martha show on
Sat. mornings at 10am. It's still listed in TV Guide
but when you tune in for it there's something else on
now. That's now fair. I think people who like to watch
Martha don't care that she's been convicted. We just
want to watch the damn show! Sheesh! Really gets my
goat!

But I bet my paska is better than hers. ;-)

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Kevin & Amanda wrote:

> Hello Everyone: First I want to wish all of you a very HAPPY EASTER.
> OH that includes you too Hot Legs Sheldon. Now I have a question.
> One of you mentioned bread made in a can. Some time ago my Sister
> had a recipe for a bread that was made in a can. It was a very good
> bread but I don't think that it had saffron in the recipe. Do any of
> you know of any bread in a can recipes that do not use saffron?
> Unfortunately she lost the recipe. That recipe was enough to make
> four breads. Thank you. Have a nice holiday weekend. Amanda

You could make any yeast bread in a can if you
wanted to. Maybe even non-yeast breads. I have
seen other recipes for bread made in a can, but
you really don't need a specific recipe for it.
Just bake any bread you want. Now if you were
looking for a particular bread recipe we would
need more information. If you want I can post my
kulich recipe. It's a very rich, sweet bread that
has lots of butter, eggs, sugar, etc. in the dough.
You could leave out the saffron. Actually, I can't
even taste it. IF you wanted the dough to be more
yellowish, you could put a little food coloring in
it, but with all the egg yolks and butter the dough
is fairly yellowish all on it's own. And if you
don't want a bread with raisins and/or candied fruit
in it you could just leave them out. Bread is very
flexible as regards ingredients.

What kind of bread were you looking for?

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Wayne Boatwright

Kate Connally > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Both delicious! I have eaten both, but never made either one. There
>> is also a version of paska, Chechoslovakian (sp?) I think, that is
>> plain (without candied fruits or nuts) and molded in a ball shape.
>> Yours sounds even better!
>>
>> Wayne

> It's even better than it sounds from that brief description
> above. I made about 1/2 a recipe which was 1 1/2 lbs. of
> cottage cheese, drained, then sieved and mixed with 1/2 lb.
> of unsalted butter. Then you make a cooked custard from
> 1 c. of heavy cream, 3 eggs yolks, sugar (1/2 c. ?), and
> vanilla. Cook the custard until thickened then chill.
> Once cool mix in diced candied fruit and almonds and mix it
> all in with the cheese/butter mixture and put in a cheese
> cloth-lined mold and drain over night. Unmold and decorate
> with more fruits and nuts. This stuff is rich, rich, rich.
>
> I must say that it was a huge hit at my friend's house.
> No one there had ever had it before and many of them couldn't
> stop raving about how good it was.
>
> The kulich turned out perfect also and was delicious. I have
> lots of it left over so will be eating it all week.

Thanks for posting your recipe, Kate. This one will definitely be added
to my MasterCook for future enjoyment!

Wayne