Old 08-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Margaret Suran

Default How Long Do I Roast 2 Cornish Game Hens?

I just picked up two Cornish Game Hens, a little less than 1 1/2 lbs
each and I want to roast them and serve them for tonight's dinner.

The last time, I left them in the oven too long and I do not want to
make the same mistake today.

How long should they be roasted and at what temperature? I will not
stuff them.

Thank you for your help, MS

Old 08-04-2004, 09:24 PM
PENMART01

Margaret Suran wrote:

I just picked up two Cornish Game Hens, a little less than 1 1/2 lbs
each and I want to roast them and serve them for tonight's dinner.

The last time, I left them in the oven too long and I do not want to
make the same mistake today.

How long should they be roasted and at what temperature? I will not
stuff them.

Thank you for your help, MS

Preheat oven to 450F, place trussed, seasoned hens on a rack in a pan and cook
for about 30 minutes or until thermometer says 170F. Let rest 10 minutes then
slice in half.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 08-04-2004, 09:30 PM
kilikini

"PENMART01" wrote in message
Margaret Suran wrote:

I just picked up two Cornish Game Hens, a little less than 1 1/2 lbs
each and I want to roast them and serve them for tonight's dinner.

The last time, I left them in the oven too long and I do not want to
make the same mistake today.

How long should they be roasted and at what temperature? I will not
stuff them.

Thank you for your help, MS

Preheat oven to 450F, place trussed, seasoned hens on a rack in a pan and

cook
for about 30 minutes or until thermometer says 170F. Let rest 10 minutes

then
slice in half.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

You two are making me hungry! I haven't had a Cornish Hen in so long! My
former husband refused to eat anything that he had to pick apart - which
included peel & eat shrimp, Crab claws or Lobster tail. God forbid I hand
him a bird on the bone!

kili

Old 08-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Margaret Suran

PENMART01 wrote:
Margaret Suran wrote:

I just picked up two Cornish Game Hens, a little less than 1 1/2 lbs
each and I want to roast them and serve them for tonight's dinner.

The last time, I left them in the oven too long and I do not want to
make the same mistake today.

How long should they be roasted and at what temperature? I will not
stuff them.

Thank you for your help, MS

Preheat oven to 450F, place trussed, seasoned hens on a rack in a pan and cook
for about 30 minutes or until thermometer says 170F. Let rest 10 minutes then
slice in half.

Thank you. Last time I roasted them for more than an hour, first at
400 degrees, then at 300 degrees. No wonder they were all dried out.

MS

Old 08-04-2004, 10:13 PM
John Gaughan

Margaret Suran wrote:
No wonder they were all dried out.

Did you brine them? That always helps.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Old 08-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Margaret Suran

kilikini wrote:

You two are making me hungry! I haven't had a Cornish Hen in so long! My
former husband refused to eat anything that he had to pick apart - which
included peel & eat shrimp, Crab claws or Lobster tail. God forbid I hand
him a bird on the bone!

kili

My husband was just the opposite. He loved anything he could pick up
with his fingers and eat, unpeeled shrimp, Stone Crabs and any kind of
poultry on the bone. We also considered Asparagus and Pommes Frites
to be finger foods, because that is the way it was eaten at informal
meals when we were children. Erich died in 1991 and I seldom make
Rock Cornish Hens any more.

Victor Borge, the great Danish comic pianist popularized the little
birds when he bought a farm and raised them. They were smaller at
that time, or at least I think so, just a pound and now they are as
large as two pounds. MS

Old 08-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Nancy Young

Margaret Suran wrote:

Thank you. Last time I roasted them for more than an hour, first at
400 degrees, then at 300 degrees. No wonder they were all dried out.

Margaret, do you have a probe thermometer?

nancy
Old 08-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Margaret Suran

Nancy Young wrote:
Margaret Suran wrote:

Thank you. Last time I roasted them for more than an hour, first at
400 degrees, then at 300 degrees. No wonder they were all dried out.

Margaret, do you have a probe thermometer?

nancy

Nancy, I don't even know what a Probe Thermometer is. Please, don't
tell me it is a rectal thermometer, to take the chickens'
temperature. ) MS

Old 08-04-2004, 11:16 PM
hahabogus

Margaret Suran wrote in
:

PENMART01 wrote:
Margaret Suran wrote:

I just picked up two Cornish Game Hens, a little less than 1 1/2 lbs
each and I want to roast them and serve them for tonight's dinner.

The last time, I left them in the oven too long and I do not want to
make the same mistake today.

How long should they be roasted and at what temperature? I will not
stuff them.

Thank you for your help, MS

Preheat oven to 450F, place trussed, seasoned hens on a rack in a pan
and cook for about 30 minutes or until thermometer says 170F. Let
rest 10 minutes then slice in half.

Thank you. Last time I roasted them for more than an hour, first at
400 degrees, then at 300 degrees. No wonder they were all dried out.

MS

You can make up a moist stuffing mix....cut the hens in half and bake them
on top of the stuffing mix (skin side up)... very nice that way. Hell
Cornish Hens are nice just about any way.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Nancy Young

Margaret Suran wrote:

Nancy Young wrote:

Margaret, do you have a probe thermometer?

Nancy, I don't even know what a Probe Thermometer is. Please, don't
tell me it is a rectal thermometer, to take the chickens'
temperature. ) MS

(laughing!!!) Well, you'll find out soon enough.

nancy

Old 09-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Bob (this one)

Margaret Suran wrote:

I just picked up two Cornish Game Hens, a little less than 1 1/2 lbs
each and I want to roast them and serve them for tonight's dinner.

The last time, I left them in the oven too long and I do not want to
make the same mistake today.

How long should they be roasted and at what temperature? I will not
stuff them.

Thank you for your help, MS

It's difficult to give a time because there are so many variables.
Here are a few places where it can go wrong:
* oven temperature inaccurate
* bird very cold when put into oven
* bird very warm
* Pan has high sides and shields bird from air movement
* pan with bird in top part of oven.
* pan with bird in bottom part of oven

And more besides.

Cornish hens are small and the meat isn't very thick. It will cook
rather quickly and then it will sit and dehydrate thereafter as long
as you let it.

The best way to cook them is the way they're done by professionals.
They don't guess. Cook at a relatively low temperature (275F to 325F)
until the meat in the thigh is 155F to 160F. Let it rest for about 10
minutes and eat. A quick-read thermometer is the tool to have.
Relatively inexpensive and useful for everything from meats to bread.

Any other index will give you uneven results. From occasion to
occasion, the birds will turn out different using any index but
temperature. That old "twist the leg" approach is ok if you do it
often. But if it's an infrequent dinner item, you're just guessing.

But I wouldn't be cooking it any longer than about 40 minutes (at the
outside), depending on the size of the little critter.

Pastorio

Old 09-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Margaret Suran

Thank you all for your posts.

We just finished eating dinner and the little chickens came out done
just right, juicy with a crispy skin. With it I made a green salad
with vinegar and oil and I cubed two medium sized baking potatoes and
sprinkled some oil over the raw cubes. I stuck them into the oven
about ten minutes before the chickens and they were nicely baked by
the time I served dinner.

Cantaloupe melon for dessert. After two huge Passover meals, I am
trying to lose a few pounds.

Happy Easter to all, Margaret

Old 09-04-2004, 01:32 AM
PENMART01

Margaret Suran

Thank you all for your posts.

We just finished eating dinner and the little chickens came out done
just right,

There were various methods posted, which did you use?

Old 09-04-2004, 02:40 AM
Margaret Suran

PENMART01 wrote:
Margaret Suran

Thank you all for your posts.

We just finished eating dinner and the little chickens came out done
just right,

There were various methods posted, which did you use?

I used the one you posted. It sounded good to start with and easy,
too. I do not brine, because I try to stay away from Sodium and I did
not want to start butterflying the little birds.

I have saved the recipe for next time. Thank you.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:52 AM
Melissa Houle

Margaret Suran wrote in message ...
I just picked up two Cornish Game Hens, a little less than 1 1/2 lbs
each and I want to roast them and serve them for tonight's dinner.

The last time, I left them in the oven too long and I do not want to
make the same mistake today.

How long should they be roasted and at what temperature? I will not
stuff them.

Thank you for your help, MS

I generally roast gamehens at 350 F for approximately an hour, and
baste them often as they cook. I put olive oil in the roasting pan
first,then put a whole, peeled clove of garlic in and spread the olive
oil in a thin layer over the bottom of the roasting pan with it. A
sprinkle of Balsamic vinegar also makes a nice basting juice as the
bird roasts. After Roasting, I cut them apart and have half for
dinner, then the other half for lunch or dinner the following day.
Delish!

Melissa

Cornish Game Hens - Have A Good Way To Prepare Them? Judy Haffner General Cooking 22 03-04-2012 05:15 PM
How do you barbecue Cornish game hens? Theron Barbecue 33 22-04-2009 03:36 AM
Cornish Game Hens aem General Cooking 15 11-08-2006 12:47 AM
Fruit Glazed Rock Cornish Game Hens Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 0 21-05-2006 02:16 AM
Cornish Game Hens Linda and Ron Audet Recipes (moderated) 0 14-01-2005 04:03 AM