Default Quick Coconut Ice-cream

Hi all,

Just playing around with ingredients, this tastes good as well...

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=120

Ronnie

Ginny Sher

On 19 Apr 2005 14:40:23 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 19 Apr 2005 05:18:50a, Ginny Sher wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>>It was looking good till the Cool Whip. I don't do grease cream.
>>>
>>>nb

>> I thought the same thing. What would happen if heavy cream (whipped
>> or not?) was substituted in place of Cool Whip? The OP also shared a
>> strawberry ice cream recipe that was similar. Since I don't own an
>> ice cream maker, I was tempted to try this and thought about using
>> heavy cream... Advice anyone?
>>
>> Ginny

>Use heavy cream in place of Cool Whip. Taste the mix for sweetness and add
>sugar if needed. If making it by the "still frozen" method, whip the heavy
>cream and fold into mixture before freezing.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "if making it by the still frozen
method". Are you referring to the original recipe which calls for
adding (frozen) cool whip? ...although the original recipe did not
mention 'frozen' cool whip. Oh, I'm confused and this is giving me a
headache. I think I'll go eat some Ben & Jerry's... <g>

Ginny

>This was a common method of making ice cream when home refrigeration was
>new. The refrigerator manufacturers gave recipes for making this sort of
>ice cream in ice cube trays (without the dividers).

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 19 Apr 2005 10:58:06a, Ginny Sher wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 19 Apr 2005 14:40:23 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>>> I thought the same thing. What would happen if heavy cream (whipped
>>> or not?) was substituted in place of Cool Whip? The OP also shared a
>>> strawberry ice cream recipe that was similar. Since I don't own an
>>> ice cream maker, I was tempted to try this and thought about using
>>> heavy cream... Advice anyone?
>>>
>>> Ginny

>>Use heavy cream in place of Cool Whip. Taste the mix for sweetness and
>>add sugar if needed. If making it by the "still frozen" method, whip
>>the heavy cream and fold into mixture before freezing.

> I'm not sure what you mean by, "if making it by the still frozen
> method". Are you referring to the original recipe which calls for
> adding (frozen) cool whip? ...although the original recipe did not
> mention 'frozen' cool whip. Oh, I'm confused and this is giving me a
> headache. I think I'll go eat some Ben & Jerry's... <g>
>
> Ginny
>>
>>This was a common method of making ice cream when home refrigeration was
>>new. The refrigerator manufacturers gave recipes for making this sort
>>of ice cream in ice cube trays (without the dividers).

Sorry if I wasn't clear. "Still frozen" refers to a freezing process where
there is no churning or agitation, as in freezing the mixture in a
container such as an ice cube tray without stirring it. In that case, the
addition of a whipped product provides the necessary air for proper
texture.

I don't care for Cool Whip, although that would provide the air. I also
think that Cool Whip would add too much sweetness. If you were to use Cool
Whip, however, it would need to be defrosted before folding into the
mixture. Plain heavy cream, whipped stiff, would make a good substitute.

If this isn't clear, please let me know and I'll try again.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Ginny Sher

<snip recipe and instructions>

>Sorry if I wasn't clear. "Still frozen" refers to a freezing process where
>there is no churning or agitation, as in freezing the mixture in a
>container such as an ice cube tray without stirring it. In that case, the
>addition of a whipped product provides the necessary air for proper
>texture.
>
>I don't care for Cool Whip, although that would provide the air. I also
>think that Cool Whip would add too much sweetness. If you were to use Cool
>Whip, however, it would need to be defrosted before folding into the
>mixture. Plain heavy cream, whipped stiff, would make a good substitute.
>
>If this isn't clear, please let me know and I'll try again.
>
>HTH

Thanks, Wayne. I understand now.
Ginny
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 20 Apr 2005 06:09:48a, Ginny Sher wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> <snip recipe and instructions>
>>>

>>Sorry if I wasn't clear. "Still frozen" refers to a freezing process
>>where there is no churning or agitation, as in freezing the mixture in a
>>container such as an ice cube tray without stirring it. In that case,
>>the addition of a whipped product provides the necessary air for proper
>>texture.
>>
>>I don't care for Cool Whip, although that would provide the air. I also
>>think that Cool Whip would add too much sweetness. If you were to use
>>Cool Whip, however, it would need to be defrosted before folding into
>>the mixture. Plain heavy cream, whipped stiff, would make a good
>>substitute.
>>
>>If this isn't clear, please let me know and I'll try again.
>>
>>HTH

> Thanks, Wayne. I understand now.
> Ginny

Good. Glad I could help.

As an aside... When I was growing up, we had a refrigerator from the late
1940s that had a narrow freezer compartment inside the refrigerator at the
top. This was just meant to hold ice cube trays. The compartment had 3
shelves, each of which could hold two ice cube trays side by side, and it
came supplied with 5 trays, one of which was double width. My mother used
to make ice cream and sherbet in the double width tray. She would
sometimes make a cooked custard base, but she always whipped the cream and
folded it in at the end, just before freezing. It was quite good.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Yes, whipped cream will add some sort of sweetness, hence, you can
always reduce the amount of condensed milk. Or add more whipped cream,
instead of 8 oz, you can use 12 oz or 10 oz.

I grew up eating Indian sweets, which are very sweet, so you might find
this ice-cream sweet as well.

Ronnie