Jessica Vincent

Default Coffee Makers?

I am done with low end coffee makers, my last big box store special a Mr.
Coffee is on it's last leg after less than two years of use. This one won't
shut off, not just the auto shut off, I have to unplug it to turn it off.

My considerations now are a better drip coffee maker, a French press or a
30s/40s Manning Bowman or Chase elec. percolator.

There's the Cuisinart Brew Central & Programable Thermal, Capresso MT500,
and Krups Aromacontrol currently in the running for auto-drip coffee makers.
Bodum, I'm not familiar with any other French press brands. And the vintage
hunt as possibilities.

If anyone can share which makers they've had great luck with I'd be
delighted. I'd also like to hear which brands/models are best avoided,
especially if they are on my list of considerations.

Thanks,
Jessica

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I am done with low end coffee makers, my last big box store special a Mr.
>Coffee is on it's last leg after less than two years of use. This one won't
>shut off, not just the auto shut off, I have to unplug it to turn it off.

While I do not have the answers for you, I can just say you'd be wise to
ask the same questions at alt.coffee

smithfarms pure kona

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:15:55 GMT, "Jessica Vincent"
> wrote:

>I am done with low end coffee makers, my last big box store special a

Mr.
>Coffee is on it's last leg after less than two years of use. This

one won't
>shut off, not just the auto shut off, I have to unplug it to turn it

off.

>My considerations now are a better drip coffee maker, a French press

or a
>30s/40s Manning Bowman or Chase elec. percolator.
>
>There's the Cuisinart Brew Central & Programable Thermal, Capresso

MT500,
>and Krups Aromacontrol currently in the running for auto-drip coffee

makers.
>Bodum, I'm not familiar with any other French press brands. And the

vintage
>hunt as possibilities.
>
>If anyone can share which makers they've had great luck with I'd be
>delighted. I'd also like to hear which brands/models are best

avoided,
>especially if they are on my list of considerations.
>
>Thanks,
>Jessica

FWIW
I am familiar with the Braun and we now have that Programmable
Cuisinart. (Our Braun lasted many years.) Our Cuisinart works
wonderfully. For early morning yummy coffee, I think a high end drip
is best. The French Press makes the best cup , but you have to fuss
some with it. (Wait for H20 to boil on stove, pour into French Press,
wait a few minutes - then pour and drink.) With a programmable nice
drip, it is ready the minute you program it to be with a minimum of
effort. You will notice an immense difference between the coffee from
your Mr. Coffee and from your new drip coffee maker. And <g> try some
yummy coffee some time for a real treat. Stale old ground coffee
before it is brewed will still be stale afterwards. Good luck.

with aloha,
Thunder's keeper.

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Levelwave©

Jessica Vincent wrote:

> If anyone can share which makers they've had great luck with I'd be
> delighted. I'd also like to hear which brands/models are best avoided,
> especially if they are on my list of considerations.

You might get better info over at alt.coffee...

Anyway... Once you go French Press you'll never go back... and invest in
a good Burr Mill... it doesn't have to be expensive - it just needs to
give you an even grind... I've been drinking French Pressed coffee so
long now that all drip machines taste like ass...

www.bodum.com

~john
PENMART01

>Once you go French Press you'll never go back... and invest in
>a good Burr Mill... it doesn't have to be expensive - it just needs to
>give you an even grind... I've been drinking French Pressed coffee so
>long now that all drip machines taste like ass...
>
>~john

I wouldn't trust the coffee tasting opinion of anyone who lays claim to ass
tasting expertise.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Levelwave©

PENMART01 wrote:

> I wouldn't trust the coffee tasting opinion of anyone who lays claim to ass
> tasting expertise.

ah... just needs a bit of salt...

~john
Socks

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:37:54 -0400, Levelwave© wrote:

> Anyway... Once you go French Press you'll never go back...

i did, mostly. fwiw, while i like press coffee i also like manual drip,
and manual drip is soooo easy. put a kettle on, start the grinder ...
pour the ground coffee into the cone, pour on the coffee ...

the only problem is that manual drip (ie. a #6 melita cone over a thermos)
seems to be vanishing as people choose their luxurious and affluent
options.

fwiw, you can still get the cone (it works well with #4 or #6 filters)
from sweet maria's, but the full setup seems harder to find:

http://tinyurl.com/2rxb9

> and invest in a good Burr Mill... it doesn't have to be expensive - it
> just needs to give you an even grind... [...]

> www.bodum.com

i've got the bodum burr grinder and like it.
Paul M. Cook©®

"Levelwave©" > wrote in message
> Jessica Vincent wrote:
>
> > If anyone can share which makers they've had great luck with I'd be
> > delighted. I'd also like to hear which brands/models are best avoided,
> > especially if they are on my list of considerations.

> You might get better info over at alt.coffee...
>
> Anyway... Once you go French Press you'll never go back... and invest in
> a good Burr Mill... it doesn't have to be expensive - it just needs to
> give you an even grind... I've been drinking French Pressed coffee so
> long now that all drip machines taste like ass...

Indeed! I love my French press. I can get a very exacting brew and since I
boil he water myself I know it is the proper temperature. I can also
control the steep time as well. Nothing makes better coffee than a simple
French press.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"Levelwave©" > wrote in message
> PENMART01 wrote:
>

> > I wouldn't trust the coffee tasting opinion of anyone who lays claim to

ass
> > tasting expertise.

> ah... just needs a bit of salt...

Sheldon has been known to toss his own salad a few times on this group.

Paul

Tank

"Jessica Vincent" > wrote in message
.net...

> If anyone can share which makers they've had great luck with I'd be
> delighted. I'd also like to hear which brands/models are best avoided,
> especially if they are on my list of considerations.
>
> Thanks,
> Jessica

Our last low-end coffee pot died at the beginning of this year. We shopped
around, looked at a lot of different models. We settled on the Bunn
Thermo-Fresh. It is a consumer version of the famous Bunn-O-Matic. Keeps a
reservoir of hot water, 200 degrees hot. Brews a full 12 cup pot in 3 1/2
minutes. NO WARMER. The carafe is insulated stainless steel. It keeps a pot
of coffee at serving-temperature for about 2-1/2 or 3 hours. Even after
that, it is drinkable, and a quick zap in the microwave can bring it up a
few degrees. There's no burnt coffee from leaving the warmer on. No rancid
taste from hours-overcooked coffee. We buy whole bean coffee, in a variety
of types. Mostly the Eight O'Clock brand for everyday use. It's so good, we
can barely stand coffee from other home-brew makers anymore.

I don't work for Bunn, but I would recommend this coffee maker to anyone. No
fancy electronics. No built in grinder. No clock, no timer. Just pour in a
pot of water, and 3-1/2 minutes later, really hot, really good coffee. Costs
about $150.00 at most department stores. And since Bunn is everywhere, you
don't need to worry about getting parts or service. Here is a link to the
site: http://www.bunn.com/pages/windows/BT10B.html

--
Tank

This Space To Let. See Messrs. Bunn & Valdez.

Dave Smith

Jessica Vincent wrote:

> I am done with low end coffee makers, my last big box store special a Mr.
> Coffee is on it's last leg after less than two years of use. This one won't
> shut off, not just the auto shut off, I have to unplug it to turn it off.

I went back to the low end because I had too many problems with electronics
screwing up. No more automatic settings. No more automatic shut off. No more
timers. Just a simple on/off switch is all I need.

Dave

>Jessica Vincent wrote:
>
>> I am done with low end coffee makers, my last big box store special a Mr.
>> Coffee is on it's last leg after less than two years of use. This one

>won't
>> shut off, not just the auto shut off, I have to unplug it to turn it off.

Don't give up on "low end" coffee makers just yet. I've been very happy with
my Black and Decker coffee maker. Brews 8 cups in less than 5 minutes.
Dependable and inexpensive. Has a self cleaning feature. Costs around $35,
comes with a 12 cup capacity carafe. Has auto timer, but I never use it. I use
a $9.95 West Bend Coffee Grinder and grind Eight O Clock Blend Whole Beans. I
use the cold, filtered water from the fridge dispenser, and make a pretty good
pot of joe for me and my wife every day.
nck

Well, as a certifiable coffee addict, I have just about every coffeemaker
known to humankind! Here's my take on it. I have the programmable and love
it, but be aware that the grinder gets damp and if you don't grab it out and
wash and dry it immediately the residue turns to semi-concrete. If you have
frequent power-outages, the timer can be a nuisance to constantly re-set.
That said, I love it. Since I moved into town from the country, I don't
have to fuss with the power-outages.
My all-time fav, though, is a Melitta auto-drip made for Gevalia several
years ago. I think it is still find-able in thrift stores, so keep an eye
out for it...I found another one and now have two. But that might be the
outside suggestion, I know. ;-)
Frankly, I hate "Mr. Coffee" brand. I have never had one that didn't drip
on pouring and/or leak coffee grounds into the carafe from time-to-time. My
Gevalia/Melitta NEVER does any of that.
I also have an espresso maker, but that's not an everyday-use gadget.
After the drippers, I love my French Press. You can also use that one to
make cold-drip coffee if you don't want to buy the specialized toddy!
I don't know if Melitta is still making anything but their current fad, the
"pod" coffee makers, but, I think anything they make is probably a good bet.

in article , Jessica
Vincent at wrote on 4/7/04 18:15:

> I am done with low end coffee makers, my last big box store special a Mr.
> Coffee is on it's last leg after less than two years of use. This one won't
> shut off, not just the auto shut off, I have to unplug it to turn it off.
>
> My considerations now are a better drip coffee maker, a French press or a
> 30s/40s Manning Bowman or Chase elec. percolator.
>
> There's the Cuisinart Brew Central & Programable Thermal, Capresso MT500,
> and Krups Aromacontrol currently in the running for auto-drip coffee makers.
> Bodum, I'm not familiar with any other French press brands. And the vintage
> hunt as possibilities.
>
> If anyone can share which makers they've had great luck with I'd be
> delighted. I'd also like to hear which brands/models are best avoided,
> especially if they are on my list of considerations.
>
> Thanks,
> Jessica

Gary

Could you please be more specific about the Melitta auto-drip model
you liked, and about the 10 cup version available at allcookware.com?

What about it did you like? What were the distinguishing features?
What model number is the 10-cup version available today?

Thanks.

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:07:45 GMT, nck >
wrote:

>Follow-up to my comments about Melitta coffee-makers. I found most of their
>models at allcookware.com It looks like a sub of Amazon.
>There is a 10-cup version of the little Gevalia promo version I have. Looks
>to be the same thing, just bigger. (mine does 4 cups max.)
>

>in article , Jessica
>Vincent at wrote on 4/7/04 18:15:
>
>> I am done with low end coffee makers, my last big box store special a Mr.
>> Coffee is on it's last leg after less than two years of use. This one won't
>> shut off, not just the auto shut off, I have to unplug it to turn it off.
>>
>> My considerations now are a better drip coffee maker, a French press or a
>> 30s/40s Manning Bowman or Chase elec. percolator.
>>
>> There's the Cuisinart Brew Central & Programable Thermal, Capresso MT500,
>> and Krups Aromacontrol currently in the running for auto-drip coffee makers.
>> Bodum, I'm not familiar with any other French press brands. And the vintage
>> hunt as possibilities.
>>
>> If anyone can share which makers they've had great luck with I'd be
>> delighted. I'd also like to hear which brands/models are best avoided,
>> especially if they are on my list of considerations.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jessica

Rick & Cyndi

:
[...]
: ================

We've had our Bunn for more than 5 years and it's still doing a
superb job! Love it. In fact, DH is going out of town for a
while and is taking it *with* him. I'll dig out my old Braun.
It works well too; it just isn't as fast as the Bunn. 10 minutes
or so verses THREE.

I recommend either. Price differences are approximately $ 25
(Braun) and $ 99 (Bunn).

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Glenn Jacobs

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:30:03 -0700, Socks wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:37:54 -0400, Levelwave© wrote:
>
>> Anyway... Once you go French Press you'll never go back...

> i did, mostly. fwiw, while i like press coffee i also like manual drip,
> and manual drip is soooo easy. put a kettle on, start the grinder ...
> pour the ground coffee into the cone, pour on the coffee ...
>
> the only problem is that manual drip (ie. a #6 melita cone over a thermos)
> seems to be vanishing as people choose their luxurious and affluent
> options.
>
> fwiw, you can still get the cone (it works well with #4 or #6 filters)
> from sweet maria's, but the full setup seems harder to find:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2rxb9
>
>> and invest in a good Burr Mill... it doesn't have to be expensive - it
>> just needs to give you an even grind... [...]

>> www.bodum.com

> i've got the bodum burr grinder and like it.

I bought one in a sporting goods store.

--
JakeInHartsel
Glenn Jacobs

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 21:19:54 -0400, Tank wrote:

> "Jessica Vincent" > wrote in message
> .net...
>>
>> If anyone can share which makers they've had great luck with I'd be
>> delighted. I'd also like to hear which brands/models are best avoided,
>> especially if they are on my list of considerations.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jessica
>>

> Our last low-end coffee pot died at the beginning of this year. We shopped
> around, looked at a lot of different models. We settled on the Bunn
> Thermo-Fresh. It is a consumer version of the famous Bunn-O-Matic. Keeps a
> reservoir of hot water, 200 degrees hot. Brews a full 12 cup pot in 3 1/2
> minutes. NO WARMER. The carafe is insulated stainless steel. It keeps a pot
> of coffee at serving-temperature for about 2-1/2 or 3 hours. Even after
> that, it is drinkable, and a quick zap in the microwave can bring it up a
> few degrees. There's no burnt coffee from leaving the warmer on. No rancid
> taste from hours-overcooked coffee. We buy whole bean coffee, in a variety
> of types. Mostly the Eight O'Clock brand for everyday use. It's so good, we
> can barely stand coffee from other home-brew makers anymore.
>
> I don't work for Bunn, but I would recommend this coffee maker to anyone. No
> fancy electronics. No built in grinder. No clock, no timer. Just pour in a
> pot of water, and 3-1/2 minutes later, really hot, really good coffee. Costs
> about $150.00 at most department stores. And since Bunn is everywhere, you
> don't need to worry about getting parts or service. Here is a link to the
> site: http://www.bunn.com/pages/windows/BT10B.html

I am curious why does it keep a reservoir of hot water. The 200 degrees
could be a problem for me since where I live at 9,700 feet water boils at
194 degrees F. Perhaps it is to speed up the process as drip coffee tends
to be better if finished quickly. I have a Mr. Coffee with a thermos pot,
and I use fairly warm water to speed the process. I am on my second one,
the first one lasted about five years.
Seth Goodman

In article >,
Glenn Jacobs > wrote:

> I am curious why does it keep a reservoir of hot water. The 200 degrees
> could be a problem for me since where I live at 9,700 feet water boils at
> 194 degrees F. Perhaps it is to speed up the process as drip coffee tends
> to be better if finished quickly.

1) There is a high altitude model available for use over 5,000 feet.
2) Your supposition about the reservoir of hot water is correct.

--
Seth Goodman
Tank

"Glenn Jacobs" > wrote in message

> I am curious why does it keep a reservoir of hot water. The 200 degrees
> could be a problem for me since where I live at 9,700 feet water boils at
> 194 degrees F. Perhaps it is to speed up the process as drip coffee tends
> to be better if finished quickly. I have a Mr. Coffee with a thermos pot,
> and I use fairly warm water to speed the process. I am on my second one,
> the first one lasted about five years.

I am sure it is to be able to deliver that 3-1/2 minute pot of coffee. I do
not know what effect altitude would have on the unit. That would be an
interesting question for their customer service people. It is entirely
possible that it is not exactly 200 degrees, but that is what the literature
says.

--
Tank

This Space To Let.

John McDermott

We use several--a Bunn drip, the Toddy cold coffee concentrate, a French
press, and a Kona vacuum coffee maker. All are good, but they all produce
differing types of coffee. We enjoy roasting our own coffee and grinding it
fresh, then making coffee. I'd suggest you check out www.sweetmarias.com
for their selections of green coffee beans, roasters, and grinders. Lots of
great coffee cupping reviews there, and suggestions for you.

Good luck,
John

LAllin

I had the same feeling a couple of years ago, after the water chamber cover
latest in a string of "bargain" brewers broke off in its second week of use.
I shopped around, read reviews and ended up buying a Bodum Santos vacuum
brewer. The Santos is not electric, it goes on the burner, though there are
electric models. It is two piece; the carafe is filled with water; then, a
second glass "bowl" is afixed to the top and filled with grounds (I grind 8
O'clock 100% Columbian). As the water heats, the steam raises the pressure
in the carafe, pushing water up a tube into the top. When all the water is
"pumped" into the top, cut the heat and as the temprature, and pressure,
drop, the coffee runs back into the bottom.

It makes great coffee; maker lower cost brands taste better than the
premiums I used to use in my old machines. About the only way better coffee
can be had is using a French Press.

Regards,
Larry

"Jessica Vincent" > wrote :

>I am done with low end coffee makers, my last big box store special a Mr.
>Coffee is on it's last leg after less than two years of use. This one
>won't
>shut off, not just the auto shut off, I have to unplug it to turn it off.
>
>My considerations now are a better drip coffee maker, a French press or a
>30s/40s Manning Bowman or Chase elec. percolator.
>
>There's the Cuisinart Brew Central & Programable Thermal, Capresso MT500,
>and Krups Aromacontrol currently in the running for auto-drip coffee
>makers.
>Bodum, I'm not familiar with any other French press brands. And the
>vintage
>hunt as possibilities.
>
>If anyone can share which makers they've had great luck with I'd be
>delighted. I'd also like to hear which brands/models are best avoided,
>especially if they are on my list of considerations.
>
>Thanks,
>Jessica

Dan W

In article >, "Jessica Vincent" <jeileenvincentnospam@earthlinkdotnet> wrote:
>I am done with low end coffee makers, my last big box store special a Mr.
>Coffee is on it's last leg after less than two years of use. This one won't
>shut off, not just the auto shut off, I have to unplug it to turn it off.
>
>My considerations now are a better drip coffee maker, a French press or a
>30s/40s Manning Bowman or Chase elec. percolator.

There is another alternative. A vaccum pot. I have a Bodum eSantos mini.

Depending on much you like to amke at a time, there is the regular which makes
up to 1.5L $100 direct
http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.
asp?MD=1&GID=52&LID=280&CHK=&SLT=&mscssid=1DHH8NW9 FX5W8HNU723PG8TR2C500439

or the mini which I have which makes 750 ml $60 direct
http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.
asp?MD=1&GID=52&LID=297&CHK=&SLT=&mscssid=1DHH8NW9 FX5W8HNU723PG8TR2C500439

Aside from the volume, the larger one has a keep warm timer while the smaller
doesn't.

_
(_) Daniel Warren, RPh
_______// Marion NY
(________) Clinical Pharmacist
\ /
| Rx |
/______\
(________)

Mark Thorson

Jessica Vincent wrote:

> I am done with low end coffee makers, my last big box store special
> a Mr. Coffee is on it's last leg after less than two years of use.

You could always go below the low end. I make coffee
as good as any I have had from a machine using an old
Cara Mia artichoke hearts jar. I grind the beans in a
blade type coffee grinder -- full capacity of the grinder
is good for about three cups using my method.

Over the mouth of the jar, I put a #2 cone filter,
with the edge folded over the rim of the jar.
I put about three or four tablespoons of fresh
ground coffee in the cone. I boil water in my
Rival electric water pot, and slowly pour it over
the coffee. I takes a few minutes, but eventually
I get enough through to fill the jar. I then
carefully lift out the cone, hold over the jar another
half a minute or so to catch the last of the coffee,
then discard. This results in really strong coffee.

I'm thinking there must be a more covenient way
to do this, but I've gotten used to the hassle.
I guess it's sort of part of my coffee ritual. If I
suffered any less, it might impact the coffee.

Socks

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:18:03 -0800, John McDermott wrote:

> We use several--a Bunn drip, the Toddy cold coffee concentrate, a French
> press, and a Kona vacuum coffee maker. All are good, but they all
> produce differing types of coffee. We enjoy roasting our own coffee and
> grinding it fresh, then making coffee. I'd suggest you check out
> www.sweetmarias.com for their selections of green coffee beans,
> roasters, and grinders. Lots of great coffee cupping reviews there, and
> suggestions for you.

i use a simple cone filter over a thermos, but i've got the Hearthware
Precision roaster from Sweet Marias and enjoy using it now and again. it
makes the house smell great.

as i'm sure john knows though, at this level of detail, we can talk about
the interaction of roasts and coffee makers. the fact that i like a "full
city" roast (pretty dark) might very well be one of the reasons a cone
works for me. i think a press is better at bringing out the flavors of a
more medium roast. i'd comment on vac pots, but i could never get that
@#$%^& bodum to work right.

fwiw, when i'm not roasting i tend to drink Trader Joe's Bay Blend ...
that works for me in the cone very well.

Dan W

In article >, Socks > wrote:
>On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:18:03 -0800, John McDermott wrote:
>
>i use a simple cone filter over a thermos, but i've got the Hearthware
>Precision roaster from Sweet Marias and enjoy using it now and again. it
>makes the house smell great.

I'm one of the lucky few who got one of their new I-Roasters in Dec. Only 120
were shipped. It does a good roast. 1 cup of green beans at a time.

I also use an mini eSantos vac pot for brewing

heaven

_
(_) Daniel Warren, RPh
_______// Marion NY
(________) Clinical Pharmacist
\ /
| Rx |
/______\
(________)

Rick & Cyndi

"Dan W" <and others wrote:
: >I am done with low end coffee makers, my last big box store
special a Mr.
: >Coffee is on it's last leg after less than two years of use.
This one won't
: >shut off, not just the auto shut off, I have to unplug it to
turn it off.
: >
[...]
=======================

Yeah. I didn't mention the vacuum pot. DH has a 'collection' of
various coffee making apparatuses (sp?). We probably have 5
different drip styles (of which the Bunn is used virtually
everyday), there's a cappuccino/espresso machine, large and small
French Presses, microwave French Press, vacuum pot, 2
percolators - stove-top and electric ,Melitta cup-at-a-time, B &
D Cup at a time, and I'm sure I'm leaving out a few. Yeah, I
think the one in the camper is a Gevalia.

Blah, blah, blah. The most used is the Bunn. Fast, easy,
dependable results.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>