Damsel in dis Dress

Default Tomorrow's Dinner

For once, I'm ahead of the game. I currently have a very thick chuck roast
in the crockpot. At 1:00 a.m., the roast will go into the fridge, with the
spicy liquid in a separate container. We have to get some good hoagy buns
in the morning, and I'll look for Provolone cheese and maybe some banana
peppers or peperoncini. Anyway, here's the recipe, which I always make
with round roast (until now). For low-carbing, just skip the buns. It's
still delicious.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Beef Sandwiches

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beef crockpot
sandwiches

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 pounds round roast, trimmed
1 1/2 cups water
7 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast in
large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir well. Pour
over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and refrigerate. Strain broth into a
storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Slice chilled meat very thinly and place into crockpot or large saucepan.
Pour strained broth over meat, and cook gently until heated through.

Serve meat slices, piled high on crusty rolls, with heated broth for
dipping.

Optional: Provolone cheese; giardiniera or peperoncini.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 276 Calories (kcal); 10g Total Fat; (35% calories from fat);
42g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 110mg Cholesterol; 642mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Chris Neidecker

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>> Italian Beef Sandwiches

Yum -- this sounds really good, and I'm having the family in for dinner next
weekend. They'd probably like this. Usually when I cook a roast in the
crockpot, we season it w/ just salt, pepper and onion, andeat it on
kimmelweck rolls. But I'd like to try these seasonings for a change!

Thanks!
Chris

Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that "Chris Neidecker" >
said:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>>> Italian Beef Sandwiches

>Yum -- this sounds really good, and I'm having the family in for dinner next
>weekend. They'd probably like this. Usually when I cook a roast in the
>crockpot, we season it w/ just salt, pepper and onion, andeat it on
>kimmelweck rolls. But I'd like to try these seasonings for a change!

It's best to use the round, rather than the chuck. At least, for me it is.
Nice, lean slices, very tender. Just remember to cook the meat a day ahead
of time (or early in the morning, so it can cool before being sliced).

I hope you and your family enjoy this!

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Dinner tomorrow Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 10 27-10-2013 12:25 PM
Tomorrow's Dinner w/REC Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 6 21-04-2008 08:08 PM
Dinner tomorrow. Andy General Cooking 2 21-07-2006 12:35 AM
Dinner tomorrow MoM General Cooking 0 10-12-2005 12:54 AM