BOB

Default 'Pillows From Heaven'

or recipe from Hell?

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/L..._040401-1.html

Julia Altshuler

BOB wrote:
> or recipe from Hell?
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/L..._040401-1.html

Did you get the idea from the article that the whole magazine was an
April Fool's edition or just that one recipe?

--Lia

notbob

On 2004-04-04, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>> or recipe from Hell?

Wow! That's the most fun since strawberry poptarts in the toaster.

nb
John Gaughan

BOB wrote:
> http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/L..._040401-1.html

"L E W I S V I L L E, Texas, April 1..."

Enough said. Even without looking at the flames inserted by Photoshop I
know where this story came from.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

cathy

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:26:57 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>> or recipe from Hell?
>>
>> http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/L..._040401-1.html
>>

>Did you get the idea from the article that the whole magazine was an
>April Fool's edition or just that one recipe?
>
>--Lia

Um, if you go to the Southern Living website (southernliving.com)
they've got a disclaimer and warning on the front page to not use the
recipe on page 154 for "Icebox Rolls".

Granted, that could be part of an April Fools joke, but the surest way
to tell is to check a copy of the April issue of SL and see if the
recipe does indeed appear on page 154 with the allegedly dangerous
directions. If it does, it's no prank, but a potentially serious, if
not deadly, mistake.

Cathy

kalanamak

cathy wrote:

> Granted, that could be part of an April Fools joke, but the surest way
> to tell is to check a copy of the April issue of SL and see if the
> recipe does indeed appear on page 154 with the allegedly dangerous
> directions. If it does, it's no prank, but a potentially serious, if
> not deadly, mistake.

Why would a recipe call for simmering fat and water? Is there any method
to this madness?
blacksalt
kalanamak

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 06:43:43 GMT, cathy
> > wrote:
>
> >Granted, that could be part of an April Fools joke, but the surest way
> >to tell is to check a copy of the April issue of SL and see if the
> >recipe does indeed appear on page 154 with the allegedly dangerous
> >directions. If it does, it's no prank, but a potentially serious, if
> >not deadly, mistake.

> The story is real - they did publish it. What was probably a joke
> was the person who submitted it. It's be interesting to see the
> context in which it was published - reader submission, or part of
> a more credible article?
>
> Like I said - there is no culinary advantage of boiling lard and
> water for 5 minutes. Heck, even the name of the recipe is
> suspicious (liek: prepare to die - now I lay me down to sleep - if
> I die before I wake.., etc..).
>
> "Pillows from heaven" is commonly used to describe ravioli, not
> dinner rolls, FWIW.
>
> -sw

"Angel biscuits", a kind of cross between a baking soda biscuit and a
yeasted roll sounds a bit like "pillows from heaven".
I recall getting these in New York. In my mind I associated them with
Southern blacks.
blacksalt
yes, I know this is probably the PC term dejour, but the blacks I know
call themselves that, just as the (American) Indians I know call
themselves Indians.
PENMART01

> kalanamak writes:
>
>cathy wrote:
>
>> Granted, that could be part of an April Fools joke, but the surest way
>> to tell is to check a copy of the April issue of SL and see if the
>> recipe does indeed appear on page 154 with the allegedly dangerous
>> directions. If it does, it's no prank, but a potentially serious, if
>> not deadly, mistake.

>Why would a recipe call for simmering fat and water? Is there any method
>to this madness?
>blacksalt

That's one of the early steps in soap making... a rather dangerous/odiferous
procedure that should never be attempted indoors.

http://www.alcasoft.com/soapfact/history.html

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:
>>kalanamak writes:
>>

>>Why would a recipe call for simmering fat and water? Is there any method
>>to this madness?
>>blacksalt

> That's one of the early steps in soap making... a rather dangerous/odiferous
> procedure that should never be attempted indoors.
>
> http://www.alcasoft.com/soapfact/history.html

No it's not. Soap is generally reacted at about 140 degrees F. And it
doesn't stink unless you start with rancid fat (which nobody does.)

Bob
PENMART01

> zxcvbob illiterate smarmy ******* mumbles:
>
>PENMART01 wrote:
>>>kalanamak writes:
>>>
>>>Why would a recipe call for simmering fat and water? Is there any method
>>>to this madness?
>>>blacksalt

>> That's one of the early steps in soap making... a rather

>dangerous/odiferous
>> procedure that should never be attempted indoors.
>>
>> http://www.alcasoft.com/soapfact/history.html
>>

>No it's not. Soap is generally reacted at about 140 degrees F.

Geeze, the idiot lives where water boils at 140F... info at the link is too
deep for your pea brain, eh.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:
>>zxcvbob illiterate smarmy ******* mumbles:

>>>That's one of the early steps in soap making... a rather

>>dangerous/odiferous
>>
>>>procedure that should never be attempted indoors.
>>>
>>>http://www.alcasoft.com/soapfact/history.html
>>>

>>No it's not. Soap is generally reacted at about 140 degrees F.

> Geeze, the idiot lives where water boils at 140F... info at the link is too
> deep for your pea brain, eh.

I make my own soap, so I know what I'm talking about. You're just shooting
off your mouth again when you don't know what you are talking about; taking
a literal interpretation of some web page you found and then extrapolating
from that. The soap is *not* boiled; the water and lye and fat is just
mixed hot.

You do a lot better when you talk about things you know about or have some
experience with.

Best regards,
Bob
John Gaughan

zxcvbob wrote:
> You do a lot better when you talk about things you know about or have
> some experience with.

That is very scary -- he would never stop talking about the voices in
his head.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Dan Levy

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> Like I said - there is no culinary advantage of boiling lard and
> water for 5 minutes.

Well...if it's lard, such an operation could plausibly be intended to
deodorize the lard. Freshly melted lard, especially if it has a little age
to it, smells like a hog rendering plant.

BUT... Southern Living, who boasts of their test kitchens, has NO EXCUSE not
to have tested the recipe unless they, too, were in on the April Fool.

Dan Levy

"John Gaughan" > wrote in message
> BOB wrote:
> > http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/L..._040401-1.html

> "L E W I S V I L L E, Texas, April 1..."
>
> Enough said. Even without looking at the flames inserted by Photoshop I
> know where this story came from.

The flames appear to be coming from what looks like a camp stove burner (or
hotplate? it's hard to tell, except I can't see any electric cord) beneath
the pot. What appears to have happened is the heat was cranked up high and
the hot fat, propelled by violently boiling water beneath it, ran over onto
the burner and there it heated up further until it reached its flash point
(hot enough to smoke -- more than 200 degrees Fahrenheit over the boiling
point of water) and THEN ignited.

An attentive cook, using low heat and constantly watching the saucepan,
would be unlikely to experience a problem. I've had pasta water pots to
which cooking oil had been poured, boil over onto both gas and electric coil
burners with nary a fire, only a messy burner which was a pain to clean.
But a novice, simply reading that it is to be boiled and so puts the pot on
a burner turned to maximum heat and leaves it while distracted by other
kitchen tasks, could be in for a rude surprise.

Julia Altshuler

When I read this article

>> http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/L..._040401-1.html

I got the idea it was an April Fool joke and couldn't figure out whose.

Yesterday I saw a short notice about recalling the magazine in my local
newspaper. From that, I got the idea that it has nothing to do with
April Fool and that it was a plain mistake from an incompetent chef or
copy editor. The directions were supposed to read that one pours
boiling water over the lard away from the heat source. That would
effectively melt the lard and not be dangerous. When they're boiled
together, the fat rises to the top, and the water boils from underneath
causing explosions of hot fat which stick and burn when coming into
contact with people.

Next question: Does the recalled magazine (I don't subscribe) become a
collector's edition worth triple the price and sold on ebay?

--Lia

jmcquown

BOB wrote:
> or recipe from Hell?
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/L..._040401-1.html

How funny! I'm glad I've only been tempted to try a couple of recipes from
Southern Living and that was NOT one of them. However, I did not get a
postcard from them stating this recipe was dangerous.

Jill

jmcquown

kalanamak wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 06:43:43 GMT, cathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Granted, that could be part of an April Fools joke, but the surest
>>> way to tell is to check a copy of the April issue of SL

>> The story is real - they did publish it. What was probably a joke
>> was the person who submitted it.

(snip blethering)

> "Angel biscuits", a kind of cross between a baking soda biscuit and a
> yeasted roll sounds a bit like "pillows from heaven".
> I recall getting these in New York. In my mind I associated them with
> Southern blacks.
> blacksalt
> yes, I know this is probably the PC term dejour, but the blacks I know
> call themselves that, just as the (American) Indians I know call
> themselves Indians.

Funny, I'll have to ask the blacks where I work if they call themselves
"Southern Blacks". Somehow, I don't think so But then again, I seem to
know more about black history and heritage than they do. Case in point: I
attended a black wedding where they 'jumped the broom' as part of the
ceremony. Come to find out they had no idea where that idea came from, they
just did it because the wedding planner and her mother said that's the way
it's done.

Angel biscuits, in my recollection have baking soda but also a bit of cream
of tartar in them to make them rise higher, sort of like scones.

Jill

Barry Grau

kalanamak > wrote in message >...

> "Angel biscuits", a kind of cross between a baking soda biscuit and a
> yeasted roll sounds a bit like "pillows from heaven".
> I recall getting these in New York. In my mind I associated them with
> Southern blacks.

Southerners yes, I don't know about specifically Southern blacks. The
first place I saw the recipe was in Bill Neal's "Biscuits, Spoonbread
and Sweet Potato Pie," which, as you may guess, is about southern
baking. I think they're also called "Bride's biscuits," from which, If
I remember right, Neal guesses that the combinaiton of baking powder
and yeast may have been a form of insurance.

> blacksalt
> yes, I know this is probably the PC term dejour, but the blacks I know
> call themselves that, just as the (American) Indians I know call
> themselves Indians.

-bwg

Beach Decorative Pillows [email protected] Tea 0 21-05-2009 04:17 AM
Peanut Butter Pillows chefrwmillr Recipes (moderated) 0 02-04-2007 07:23 PM
Tea Leaf Pillows and Chinese television Shen[_2_] Tea 7 23-03-2007 05:42 PM
Blue Jimmy Pillows Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-08-2005 03:47 PM
OT Pillows Dimitri General Cooking 11 27-03-2005 02:15 AM