Arri London

Default REC: Braised Fungus

Dog3 wrote:

> I got this recipe from one of my mail groups. It came from Nichilas Zhou. I
> am in no way affiliated with him or the company that sells the products on
> the link below but I am going to try to find the ingredients and make this
> over the weekend. I left the link in case someone can't get the
> ingredients. At least there is a source out there where they can be found.
> I'm not sure what I'll serve with it. Probably pork fried rice and maybe an
> Asian soup.
>
> Michael

If you don't want to spend all the money those fungi will cost, a
reasonable version comes in a can in Chinese grocery shops.

> Braised Assorted Fungus
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 50 grams (3 1/2 tablespoons) button mushrooms
> 50 grams (3 1/2 tablespoons) straw mushrooms
> 50 grams (3 1/2 tablespoons) abalone mushrooms
> 2 dried mushrooms
> a few small pieces golden fungus
> a few small pieces black fungus
> a few small pieces white fungus
> 20 grams (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) dried lily flowers
> 50 grams (3 1/2 tablespoons) carrot
> 50 grams (3 1/2 tablespoons) sweet peas/pea pods
> 1 teaspoon rice wine or dry sherry
> 2 tablespoons oil
>
> Stock:
> 500 ml (2 1/8 cups) water
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon sugar
> 1 slice ginger
> 1 stalk spring/green onion
>
> Seasoning:
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
> 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
> 300 ml (about 1 1/4 cups) vegetarian stock
> Thickening:
> 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (cornflour)
> 1 tablespoon water
> 2 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
>
> * You can find Chinese cooking ingredients and cookware at our online store
> at: http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/shopping.htm
>
> Directions:
>
> Wash and soak the dried mushrooms, fungi and dried lily flowers.
>
> Wash, peel and thinly slice the carrot. Wash the sweet peas, and parboil
> for 1 minute. Drain.
>
> Rinse the remaining mushrooms.
>
> Boil the vegetarian stock. Add the yellow fungus, black fungus and the
> dried lily flowers and cook for 5 minutes. Drain.
>
> While the fungus and dried lily flowers are boiling, prepare the seasoning
> and the cornstarch mixture. Set aside.
>
> Heat wok and add 1/2 tablespoon oil. When oil is ready, add the carrots and
> sweet peas and stir-fry on high heat. Remove and set aside.
>
> Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in the wok. When oil is ready, add all the
> mushrooms and stir-fry on high heat for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
>
> Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok. When oil is heated, add the fungus, dried
> lily flowers and the rice wine and seasoning. Braise for 5 minutes. Add the
> mushrooms and braise for another 5 minutes.
>
> Add in the carrots and sweet peas, stirring. Give the cornstarch/water
> mixture and add in, stirring to thicken. Serve hot.
>
> --
> Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
> violence.
> -- Hebrew proverb

Arri London

Dog3 wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Dog3 wrote:
> >>
> >> I got this recipe from one of my mail groups. It came from Nichilas
> >> Zhou. I am in no way affiliated with him or the company that sells
> >> the products on the link below but I am going to try to find the
> >> ingredients and make this over the weekend. I left the link in case
> >> someone can't get the ingredients. At least there is a source out
> >> there where they can be found. I'm not sure what I'll serve with it.
> >> Probably pork fried rice and maybe an Asian soup.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > If you don't want to spend all the money those fungi will cost, a
> > reasonable version comes in a can in Chinese grocery shops.
> >

> I'll look around for it when I go shopping. Do you know a brand name by any
> chance? If not I'll ask at the shops and hope I can understand the answers.
> Thanks Arri.
>
> Michael

Think one brand is 'Companion'--that might be the one in the blue cans.
Otherwise just look in the canned goods section(s). The labels usually
have good illustrations of what's inside.
Arri London

Dog3 wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Dog3 wrote:
> >>
> >> Arri London > wrote in
> >> :

> >> I'll look around for it when I go shopping. Do you know a brand name
> >> by any chance? If not I'll ask at the shops and hope I can understand
> >> the answers. Thanks Arri.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > Think one brand is 'Companion'--that might be the one in the blue
> > cans. Otherwise just look in the canned goods section(s). The labels
> > usually have good illustrations of what's inside.

> Thanks for the info. I'm going to take a look see. Maybe I can save some
> loot that way.
>
> Michael

Good luck. Of course it won't be as good as homemade. You can buy the
other dried fungi bit by bit until you accumulate the lot.
Sheldon

:

Nichilas

sells

case

out

it.

> > > If you don't want to spend all the money those fungi will cost, a
> > > reasonable version comes in a can in Chinese grocery shops.
> > >

> > I'll look around for it when I go shopping. Do you know a brand

name by any
> > chance? If not I'll ask at the shops and hope I can understand the

answers.
> > Thanks Arri.
> >
> > Michael

> Think one brand is 'Companion'--that might be the one in the blue

cans.
> Otherwise just look in the canned goods section(s). The labels

usually
> have good illustrations of what's inside.

Hmm, dragons.

Sheldon

plastic eating fungus sf[_9_] General Cooking 8 13-02-2012 05:20 AM
fungus? Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 12 28-05-2011 03:20 PM
Fungus? Arsenio Oloroso Asian Cooking 3 22-05-2004 11:46 PM
fungus on my bread Stan J. Lefosi Sourdough 13 04-11-2003 11:30 PM