Gal Called J.J.

Default [REC] Hot Ham & Cheese Spread

Found this recipe on the back of a box of Ritz crackers today; I
haven't tried it yet, but I thought it sounded good, so I'm sharing:

Hot Ham & Cheese Spread

1 (8 oz.) container Philly Cream Cheese Spread
1 C. shredded cheddar
3 slices smoked ham luncheon meat, chopped
Ground red pepper

Mix first three ingredients with a dash of red pepper until
well blended. Spread into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 350º F.
for 20-25 minutes, or until puffed and lightly browned. Serve
warm as a spread with crackers or raw vegetables.

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
aem

Gal Called J.J. wrote:
> Found this recipe on the back of a box of Ritz crackers today; I
> haven't tried it yet, but I thought it sounded good, so I'm sharing:
>
> Hot Ham & Cheese Spread
>
> 1 (8 oz.) container Philly Cream Cheese Spread
> 1 C. shredded cheddar
> 3 slices smoked ham luncheon meat, chopped
> Ground red pepper

[snip]

Seems like a lot of cheese for a little ham, but maybe that's just the
carnivore in me talking. Do people like hot spreads more than room
temp spreads? Other than nachos, I mean? -aem

Damsel in dis Dress

"aem" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Do people like hot spreads more than room
>temp spreads? Other than nachos, I mean?

I do. I have two favorites. One is a mixture of the much-feared Velveeta
and the much-hated Hormel Chili without Beans. Oddly, when combined, the
result is pretty good. Fritos are the required dippers. <G>

The other is a hot avocado dip. (recipe follows)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Artichoke Dip

Recipe By :John & Helaine Bilos
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : appetizers

2 bags pita bread
8 ounces cream cheese
12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 onion -- finely chopped
2 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
2 small jars marinated artichoke hearts -- drained well

Cut up pita bread into chip size triangles, separate and bake on a cookie
sheet until crispy (approximately 5 minutes).

Combine all other ingredients and mash (a KitchenAid mixer works great).

Bake in a uncovered casserole dish for approximately 30 minutes @ 350 or
until bubbly.

Serve hot out of the oven and scoop up dip with pita bread.

Source:
"rec.food.cooking"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Brought to The Great Twin Cities Potluck of 1998 by Elisabeth
Pletcher-Harincar.

"If you intend to take this to a party or are having friends over
be prepared to recite this recipe a number of times. My wife and I bring
xerox copies with us!" John Bilos 12/21/1989
Bob

Carol wrote:

> The other is a hot avocado dip. (recipe follows)
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Artichoke Dip
>
> Recipe By :John & Helaine Bilos
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : appetizers

> 2 bags pita bread
> 8 ounces cream cheese
> 12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
> 1 cup mayonnaise
> 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
> 1 onion -- finely chopped
> 2 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
> 2 small jars marinated artichoke hearts -- drained well
>
> Cut up pita bread into chip size triangles, separate and bake on a cookie
> sheet until crispy (approximately 5 minutes).
>
> Combine all other ingredients and mash (a KitchenAid mixer works great).
>
> Bake in a uncovered casserole dish for approximately 30 minutes @ 350 or
> until bubbly.
>
> Serve hot out of the oven and scoop up dip with pita bread.

I was REALLY intrigued by the thought of a hot avocado dip. Where's the
avocado? :-)

Bob

Tara

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:24:05 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

> One is a mixture of the much-feared Velveeta
>and the much-hated Hormel Chili without Beans. Oddly, when combined, the
>result is pretty good. Fritos are the required dippers. <G>

It's delicious over baked potatoes or hot dogs, too! And if you have
a little bit left over, use it to fill an omelet.

Tara

BOB

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> "aem" >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
>> Do people like hot spreads more than room
>> temp spreads? Other than nachos, I mean?

> I do. I have two favorites. One is a mixture of the much-feared
> Velveeta and the much-hated Hormel Chili without Beans. Oddly, when
> combined, the result is pretty good. Fritos are the required
> dippers. <G>

It's good, too. I actually had it first made with Cheeze-Whiz instead
of Velveeta. Both are excellent, but I prefer the Velveeta version.

> The other is a hot avocado dip.

No way. There's a thread on avacados in another group...the
preference of one other and myself (we're lazy when it comes to
avacados) is to slice the avacado in half, remove the seed and dig in
with a spoon. Salt, pepper and other things such as lemon juice, crab
dip (to fill the seed cavity) etc. are options based on the laziness
of the day.

BOB

Damsel in dis Dress

"Bob" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Carol wrote:
>
>> The other is a hot avocado dip. (recipe follows)
>>
>> Artichoke Dip

>I was REALLY intrigued by the thought of a hot avocado dip. Where's the
>avocado? :-)

The avocado is hiding in the guacamole, so it won't get heated.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Damsel in dis Dress

" BOB" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> The other is a hot avocado dip.

>No way.

Avocado and Artichoke both start with A. Also, they both contain a C and
an O. So, I was partially correct.

Carol, grabbing at straws.
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon