Ginny Sher

Default Lucky surprises from the market

I just posted a thread about buying some carnitas on a whim at Costco.
It turned out to be something I really enjoyed and will buy again.

It brings to mind that many of us probably experiment buying something
new at a market such as Costco, on occassion. What food items have
all of you purchased on a whim that turned out to be a lucky surprise
when you got it home?

The other item I recently bought was Raspberry Chipotle Sauce (also)
from Costco. It's also a winner, as I mentioned previously in another
post.

Ginny
Eric Ferguson

I think they have the PB filled pretzels at Trader Joes...

-L.

Ginny Sher wrote:
> I just posted a thread about buying some carnitas on a whim at

Costco.
> It turned out to be something I really enjoyed and will buy again.
>
> It brings to mind that many of us probably experiment buying

something
> new at a market such as Costco, on occassion. What food items have
> all of you purchased on a whim that turned out to be a lucky surprise
> when you got it home?

Heh...During the winter Holiday season, I once bought a package of meat
marked "7 bone steak" at $1.89/lb and it was a standing rib roast. I
knew what it was before I bought it, though. Whomever the butcher was
that packaged it for himself was probably pretty po'd that I found it
before he could get back to it. It was on the bottom of some various
beef roasts...

-L.

Ginny Sher

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:48:20 GMT, Rick Rider
> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:07:01 -0800, Ginny Sher > wrote:
>
>>I just posted a thread about buying some carnitas on a whim at Costco.
>>It turned out to be something I really enjoyed and will buy again.
>>
>>It brings to mind that many of us probably experiment buying something
>>new at a market such as Costco, on occassion. What food items have
>>all of you purchased on a whim that turned out to be a lucky surprise
>>when you got it home?
>>
>>The other item I recently bought was Raspberry Chipotle Sauce (also)
>>from Costco. It's also a winner, as I mentioned previously in another
>>post.
>>
>>Ginny

>Peanut butter filled pretzles, at Costco...but I can't find them regularly.

Try Trader Joe's if you have one nearby...
PaulaY.

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Heh...During the winter Holiday season, I once bought a package of meat
> marked "7 bone steak" at $1.89/lb and it was a standing rib roast. I
> knew what it was before I bought it, though. Whomever the butcher was
> that packaged it for himself was probably pretty po'd that I found it
> before he could get back to it. It was on the bottom of some various
> beef roasts...
>
> -L.

I once found 3 pkgs of Filet Mignon marked $3.99 lb. I grabbed up all
3. I had the same thought, I must of po'd one of the butchers for
finding it before He or She.

Paula

Dimitri

"Eric Ferguson" > wrote in message
. com...
> I think they have the PB filled pretzels at Trader Joes...

Yep both with and without salt.

Dimitri

aem

Ginny Sher wrote:
> [snip]
> It brings to mind that many of us probably experiment buying

something
> new at a market such as Costco, on occassion. What food items have
> all of you purchased on a whim that turned out to be a lucky surprise
> when you got it home?

A small thing, but fits your question well. Since childhood I loved
cranberry relish, right out of the can. Thought it was the best part
of the turkey holiday meal. Some years ago Trader Joe's introduced a
cranberry-orange relish and I bought it on a whim, not to replace but
in addition to the regular stuff. Thought guests might like it. It
turned out to be a huge improvement over something I already thought
was perfect. Needless to say, it's now a staple here. -aem

-L.

aem wrote:
> Ginny Sher wrote:
> > [snip]
> > It brings to mind that many of us probably experiment buying

> something
> > new at a market such as Costco, on occassion. What food items have
> > all of you purchased on a whim that turned out to be a lucky

surprise
> > when you got it home?

> A small thing, but fits your question well. Since childhood I loved
> cranberry relish, right out of the can. Thought it was the best part
> of the turkey holiday meal. Some years ago Trader Joe's introduced a
> cranberry-orange relish and I bought it on a whim, not to replace but
> in addition to the regular stuff. Thought guests might like it. It
> turned out to be a huge improvement over something I already thought
> was perfect. Needless to say, it's now a staple here. -aem

Ocean Spray makes two varieties that are quite good - orange cranberry
and raspberry cranberry. They come in plastic tubs, not cans, though.
They do in a pinch, if I can't make my Mom's recipe.

-L.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 20 Mar 2005 06:59:11p, -L. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> aem wrote:
>> Ginny Sher wrote:
>> > [snip]
>> > It brings to mind that many of us probably experiment buying
>> > something new at a market such as Costco, on occassion. What food
>> > items have all of you purchased on a whim that turned out to be a
>> > lucky surprise when you got it home?

>> A small thing, but fits your question well. Since childhood I loved
>> cranberry relish, right out of the can. Thought it was the best part
>> of the turkey holiday meal. Some years ago Trader Joe's introduced a
>> cranberry-orange relish and I bought it on a whim, not to replace but
>> in addition to the regular stuff. Thought guests might like it. It
>> turned out to be a huge improvement over something I already thought
>> was perfect. Needless to say, it's now a staple here. -aem

> Ocean Spray makes two varieties that are quite good - orange cranberry
> and raspberry cranberry. They come in plastic tubs, not cans, though.
> They do in a pinch, if I can't make my Mom's recipe.

Anybody ever serve cranberry relish with corned beef and cabbage?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

I went to a food show once, and I saw a bunch of Kentucky farms there
selling bacon. I was warry at first buying bacon in what looked like
food saver (tilia et al) bags for about twice what I'd expect at the
supermarket, but it was good. I lost the name, so next food show I'll
be back looking again. It was thick cut, fairly lean, and heavily
peppered. I imagine there are plenty of examples from elsewhere, but
Kentucky is closer (to me.)

I occasionally grab something odd from the produce section.
Pomegranates and Quinces turned out to be pleasant surprises for me.

Other than that, Beaufor mustards, El Yucatecco hot sauces, and Santa
Barbara salsas come to mind. And also sun dried tomato tortelini.

And one more thing : It may sound silly, but I had a bottle of
"curry-oil" once. It was great for quickly frying up some potatoes and
such, but after the first bottle was gone, I never saw it at the stores
again.

Dean G.

Serene

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Anybody ever serve cranberry relish with corned beef and cabbage?

I've served it with Mama Stamberg's. Really good, but the color
combination is beyond bizarre.

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com