Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Several pleasant surprises

Some friends who run the local Thai restaurants recruited me to help
them choose wines for their BTG program. This consisted of tasting 4
different Chardonnays with 16 different Thai dishes and choosing the one
that went best with them. Given that Chardonnay would be one of the last
wines I'd serve with Thai food, this was a pretty thankless task (there
were also two Aussie Shirazes that we evaluated as well, with even more
dire results) with the eventual "winner" being a 2011 Coppola
"Director's Cut" Chardonnay that drew many of the dishes to a draw and
actually went surprisingly well with Tom Kha Gai. (The 2011 Drouhin St.
Veran, by contrast, went miserably with the food, despite being all of
our favorite on its own).

Having taken one for the team, I then opened a couple of wines that I'd
lugged along for just this reason:

2009 Frantz Saumon Montlouis 'Mineral +' was absolutely beguiling, lithe
and mineral (duh!) and bearing no imprint of the year with racy acidity
and no sense of ripeness. It went fabulously with the food and
disappeared instantly.

2010 Dashe Zinfandel L'Enfant Terrible McFadden Farms was also quite
splendid, despite the leaky cork it sported. I'd brought this along as a
red wine likely to go with Thai food, and the assembled tasters agreed.
It was quite lush yet restrained with a nicely acidic spine. I thought
that it showed significantly better than it had last year, too. The
fruit was still on the red side of the spectrum but with enough plummy
character to convince you that it might indeed be Zinfandel. The
restrained alcohol was evident in its ability to pair with some
seriously spicy food.

Last night with leftovers, I opened my first bottle of 2011 Marcel
Lapierre Morgon (sulfured) and was impressed with its lightness and red
fruited character. Lush yet light on its feet, this hit the perfect
balance between structure and accessibility, though no doubt it'll age
another 5-10 years. Jean and I both felt that it was the most pleasant
edition of this wine for perhaps the last decade. Jean's reaction ("Buy
a case!") is indicative of the enthusiasm generated.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Wow, Chardonnay and Thai. The mind boggles
The Saumon Montlouis sounds mice, never heard of producer.
I think I have one 07 L'Enfant Terrible left, should open soon
Lapierre sounds great
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2013-03-31 06:26, Mark Lipton wrote:
> Some friends who run the local Thai restaurants recruited me to help
> them choose wines for their BTG program. This consisted of tasting 4
> different Chardonnays with 16 different Thai dishes and choosing the one
> that went best with them. Given that Chardonnay would be one of the last
> wines I'd serve with Thai food, this was a pretty thankless task (there
> were also two Aussie Shirazes that we evaluated as well, with even more
> dire results) with the eventual "winner" being a 2011 Coppola
> "Director's Cut" Chardonnay that drew many of the dishes to a draw and
> actually went surprisingly well with Tom Kha Gai. (The 2011 Drouhin St.
> Veran, by contrast, went miserably with the food, despite being all of
> our favorite on its own).
>
> Having taken one for the team, I then opened a couple of wines that I'd
> lugged along for just this reason:
>
> 2009 Frantz Saumon Montlouis 'Mineral +' was absolutely beguiling, lithe
> and mineral (duh!) and bearing no imprint of the year with racy acidity
> and no sense of ripeness. It went fabulously with the food and
> disappeared instantly.

Back then, in the (admittedly few) places that had it, the Chateau de
Loei (chenin, of course) was the best pick, and not only because it was
not suffering from the insane import duty.
Outside of Thailand, it remained a favourite, but the QPR was no longer
the same.
Anyhow, chenin rules.

--
Éric Lafontaine
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/2/13 4:05 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Wow, Chardonnay and Thai. The mind boggles
> The Saumon Montlouis sounds mice, never heard of producer.
> I think I have one 07 L'Enfant Terrible left, should open soon
> Lapierre sounds great

Dale,
Frantz Saumon is one of the producers brought in by Selection
Massale, a small CA-based importer started by two winegeeks who used to
work at Terroir in San Francisco. They now have a NYC presence, too
(Guillhaume, one of the two principals, moved to NYC last year) so you
should be able to locate their wines. I still have the '10 Mineral +
and they just offered another, "better" cuvée from him recently. They
also bring in Jerome Lenoir's "Dom. les Roches" Chinon, which is very
fine and Dom. Duplessis's wines from the Jura, among many others.

Mark Lipton