Default "Eating-in-Bed Cookbook" author - alive?

Her name is Barbara Ninde Byfield, also the author of the humorous,
thin medieval/fantasy encyclopedia "The Book of Weird," a.k.a. "The
Glass Harmonica."

She wrote the cookbook in 1962 and would now be almost 75. Does anyone
know if she's still with us? Thanks.

Lenona.

P.S. Recipes include "Elizabeth Barrett's Brownies," "Swordfish
Agamemnon," "Spilt Milk Pudding," "Curried Favor"(a very spicy lamb
dish), "Cornish Hens Suttee," "Cheesecake Under the Covers," and
"Caesar's Goat." Most of them are recipes Anthony Bourdain himself
would probably enjoy! I do.

Damsel in dis Dress

, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Her name is Barbara Ninde Byfield, also the author of the humorous,
>thin medieval/fantasy encyclopedia "The Book of Weird," a.k.a. "The
>Glass Harmonica."
>
>She wrote the cookbook in 1962 and would now be almost 75. Does anyone
>know if she's still with us? Thanks.

If this website is up-to-date, she's still alive and kickin':
http://www.bu.edu/archives/a-b.htm

Carol

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 12 Mar 2005 10:09:12a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> , if that's their real name, wrote:
>
>>Her name is Barbara Ninde Byfield, also the author of the humorous,
>>thin medieval/fantasy encyclopedia "The Book of Weird," a.k.a. "The
>>Glass Harmonica."
>>
>>She wrote the cookbook in 1962 and would now be almost 75. Does anyone
>>know if she's still with us? Thanks.

> If this website is up-to-date, she's still alive and kickin':

http://www.bu.edu/archives/a-b.htm

> Carol

Damn, I though she choked to death while eating in bed!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
SKYlark

from google:

Vintage Cookbooks: Visions of pie danced in '62 'Eating in Bed'

Thursday, April 06, 2000

By Alice Demetrius Stock

Even as some members of the women's movement of the 1960s portrayed the
housewife as a subservient woman cooking to please her husband or her bridge
club, in fact some homemakers were taking advantage of the prosperity of the
times to reverse the cooking (and eating) decline brought about by World War
II.

The 1960s saw a sharp rise in cookbook sales and a proliferation of cooking
schools and shops selling so-called gourmet cooking utensils. Julia Child's
"Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and "The New York Times Cookbook" by
Craig Claiborne, both published in 1961, led the way to changing America's
eating habits.

The result of this interest in new foods and new ways to prepare them was
that just about any cookbook could and did get published in the 1960s. One
of the more offbeat of these is "The Eating in Bed Cookbook" by Barbara
Ninde Byfield.

The book is sized to resemble the shape of a pillow and the hard covers are
printed with blue-and-white-striped pillow ticking. Line drawings for each
of the 40 or so recipes include an array of beds from a psychiatrist's couch
to a bed of nails to ones with social or political significance. While the
author's tone is tongue in cheek, the recipes were seriously chosen.

Adam's Apple would be easy to eat in bed: "Core, but don't peel a large,
crisp apple and slice it in cross sections spread with equal amounts of ripe
Roquefort cheese and butter." Prone Pleasure is made with "a large jar of
junior-food prunes or apricots folded into half a cup of very cold whipped
cream garnished with crushed peanut brittle."

Deep Sleep Apple Pie

Without a complete double crust, this dish is more of an apple crisp than an
apple pie, but it's easier to make than pie. It will perfume the whole house
with its spicy aroma ... but only if you use absolutely fresh spices.

6 crisp, tart apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced, to make about 8 cups
of sliced apples (We used 2 Granny Smith, 2 Macintosh and 2 Golden
Delicious.)

3/4 to 1 cup sugar (depending on tartness of apples)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Juice of 1 lemon (about 4 tablespoons)

Topping:
1 1/2 cups pie crust mix
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts (We used walnut halves we broke up with our hands.)
1/2 cup butter, melted

Prepare the topping: Mix 1 tablespoon cinnamon with 1/4 cup sugar, then
blend the cinnamon-sugar into the pie crust mix. Mix the chopped nuts into
the sweetened pie crust mixture.

Prepare the apples: Quarter, core and peel the apples into a bowl. Pour the
lemon juice over the apples and stir with a wooden spoon to coat. Blend 3/4
cup sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon, the ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the apples, tossing them with the spoon to
coat. Layer the apple slices into a buttered glass baking dish or pie pan,
mounding them in the center. (We used a 10-inch ceramic pie plate.)

Finish the pie: Crumble the sweetened pie crust mixture thickly over the
apples. (We wiped the edge of the pie plate clean to prevent burning.) Pour
the melted butter as evenly as possible over the dry topping.

Bake in the middle of the oven at 400 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes or until
apples are tender. (We used a cake tester after 30 minutes to see if the
apples were fully cooked. We also added a length of foil on the rack below
the pie to catch any drippings.)

Serve warm or cold with heavy cream or vanilla ice cream. Refrigerate
leftovers.

Adapted from "The Eating in Bed Cookbook," Barbara Ninde Byfield, 1962.

> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> Date: 12 Mar 2005 09:03:57 -0800
> Subject: "Eating-in-Bed Cookbook" author - alive?
>
> Her name is Barbara Ninde Byfield, also the author of the humorous,
> thin medieval/fantasy encyclopedia "The Book of Weird," a.k.a. "The
> Glass Harmonica."
>
> She wrote the cookbook in 1962 and would now be almost 75. Does anyone
> know if she's still with us? Thanks.
>
> Lenona.
>
> P.S. Recipes include "Elizabeth Barrett's Brownies," "Swordfish
> Agamemnon," "Spilt Milk Pudding," "Curried Favor"(a very spicy lamb
> dish), "Cornish Hens Suttee," "Cheesecake Under the Covers," and
> "Caesar's Goat." Most of them are recipes Anthony Bourdain himself
> would probably enjoy! I do.

Rusty

On 12 Mar 2005 18:18:18 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 12 Mar 2005 10:09:12a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> , if that's their real name, wrote:
>>
>>>Her name is Barbara Ninde Byfield, also the author of the humorous,
>>>thin medieval/fantasy encyclopedia "The Book of Weird," a.k.a. "The
>>>Glass Harmonica."
>>>
>>>She wrote the cookbook in 1962 and would now be almost 75. Does anyone
>>>know if she's still with us? Thanks.

>> If this website is up-to-date, she's still alive and kickin':

http://www.bu.edu/archives/a-b.htm

>> Carol

>Damn, I though she choked to death while eating in bed!

No, that was Mama Cass.

Rusty

Damsel in dis Dress

Rusty >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>On 12 Mar 2005 18:18:18 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>Damn, I though she choked to death while eating in bed!

>No, that was Mama Cass.

She died of heart failu
http://www.casselliot.com/facts.htm

Carol