Scott

Default mint extract

I'm looking for mint flavoring for a few different purposes: mint ice
cream, and mint flavoring for candies (hard, and creme-style).

What're the best options? I have a bias against mint extracts; perhaps
it's irrational, but I somehow think that 1) it's cheating, and 2) the
extracts have that artificial-mint taste.

I don't know whether using mint leaves is actual practical, though; is
extract the only reasonable way to go? What do I look for in the way of
styles or brands?

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 07 Mar 2005 06:50:37p, Scott wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I'm looking for mint flavoring for a few different purposes: mint ice
> cream, and mint flavoring for candies (hard, and creme-style).
>
> What're the best options? I have a bias against mint extracts; perhaps
> it's irrational, but I somehow think that 1) it's cheating, and 2) the
> extracts have that artificial-mint taste.
>
> I don't know whether using mint leaves is actual practical, though; is
> extract the only reasonable way to go? What do I look for in the way of
> styles or brands?

For hard candies you need mint oil. It's available in peppermint and
spearmint. It will work equally well in most other things.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dimitri

"Scott" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for mint flavoring for a few different purposes: mint ice
> cream, and mint flavoring for candies (hard, and creme-style).
>
> What're the best options? I have a bias against mint extracts; perhaps
> it's irrational, but I somehow think that 1) it's cheating, and 2) the
> extracts have that artificial-mint taste.
>
> I don't know whether using mint leaves is actual practical, though; is
> extract the only reasonable way to go? What do I look for in the way of
> styles or brands?
>
> --
> to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"
>
> <http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Ever had mint tea?

Use some in whatever liquid you want to use then throw away the bag(s).

Dimitri

Nexis

"Scott" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for mint flavoring for a few different purposes: mint ice
> cream, and mint flavoring for candies (hard, and creme-style).
>
> What're the best options? I have a bias against mint extracts; perhaps
> it's irrational, but I somehow think that 1) it's cheating, and 2) the
> extracts have that artificial-mint taste.
>
> I don't know whether using mint leaves is actual practical, though; is
> extract the only reasonable way to go? What do I look for in the way of
> styles or brands?

For ice cream, mint leaves (fresh) steeped in the milk/cream, plus some
crème de menthe is my favorite way to go.
For candy, I would go with oils.

kimberly

Coffee Extract Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 35 30-06-2009 11:54 PM
Malt Extract Bob S General Cooking 1 10-02-2007 06:00 AM
Regular vanilla extract (natural extract)? Shaynelle Vegan 0 03-01-2007 05:13 PM
Mint-Truffle Ice Cream Terrine With Mint And Chocolate Sauces yankeegrL425 Recipes (moderated) 0 02-10-2005 05:16 AM
MINT-TRUFFLE ICE CREAM TERRINE WITH MINT AND CHOCOLATE SAUCES yankeegrL425 Recipes 0 28-09-2005 03:14 AM