Old 28-06-2009, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coffee Extract

Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday.
She's a fan. Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water.
Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and reserve
the liquid. Toss the grounds. :-) Add hot water to some to make a cup
of coffee. She says it's great where good coffee flavor is desired.
Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in producing the
extract.

I used half a pound of Folger's (keep your smarmy remarks to yourself,
eh?) ground coffee (French roast style) and 5 cups of water and did as
she said.

I just made a cuppa by putting 1/3 cup of the extract in a cup and
filled it with hot water from my Keurig coffee brewer (shaddap). I
think it was pretty strong and I had to bump up my usual amount of
chocolate syrup and amaretto-flavor Coffeemate. Shoot me. It's pretty
danged tasty. Next time I'll try 1/4 cup of extract.

We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
apricot butter and need to tend it. Eat your hearts out ő this stuff is
especially delicious.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009

Old 28-06-2009, 09:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:51:42 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

[...]

You are one of the reasons I am coming to love this group. Thanks for
the extract idea.

Old 28-06-2009, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 2:51┬*pm, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:
[...]

I heard that show too. You can't possibly expect *me* not to comment
on Folger's+Coffeemate. The only good thing I have to say is that at
least you're not polluting *decent* coffee with White trash Coffeemate
products. The whole business is is worse with you, because you know
better.
I know the reply to, "Life is too short to eat crappy foods like
Goddamned Coffemate," is, life is too short to care about the opinion
of some freakin' food snob, but jeez, Barb, I have the decency to keep
my food slumming to myself.

We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
apricot butter and need to tend it. ┬*Eat your hearts out Ç╣ this stuff is
especially delicious.

I'd bet it is. The very other end of the spectrum from Coffeemated
Folger's.

I've been thinking of trying it with a lower end Sumatra (Java
Delight), which is what we usually buy.
http://www.supervalu-storebrands.com/brands.asp

They have lots of stores, perhaps one in your locale:
http://www.supervalu.com/sv-webapp/retail/retail.jsp

I use it to make cafe au lait, with a dash of half&half. You could
add http://www.disaronno.com/

Used as a flavoring, I'd bet it's not much more expensive than the
horrific CoffeeMate product, which is chockfull of transfats and HFCS.

--
-Barb

--Bryan
Old 28-06-2009, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
I heard that show too. You can't possibly expect *me* not to comment
on Folger's+Coffeemate.
--Bryan

Hope springs eternal.

Old 28-06-2009, 11:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Vesper wrote:
You are one of the reasons I am coming to love this group. Thanks for
the extract idea.

Thank you; you're very kind.

Maybe 35 years ago my dead niece had some fancy gizmo for doing the
selfsame thing. This requires no equipment other than a good-size jar.
The one I used was, I'm guessing, about 1-1/2 to 2 quarts capacity.
Straining it was kind of a pain in that I had to do it in a few steps.

I'm thinking that next time (I'm pretty sure there will be a next time)
I'll pour it through a fine-mesh strainer before filtering through a
coffee filter or three.

The quantities I used produced about a pint of extract; the coffee
grounds really soaked up the water. Give it a try. Heck, there's no
reason you couldn't reduce the proportions even more.

Old 28-06-2009, 11:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

Used as a flavoring, I'd bet it's not much more expensive than the
horrific CoffeeMate product, which is chockfull of transfats and HFCS.

--Bryan

It's got lots of -ides, -ates, and -oses but seems devoid of HCFS and
transfats. Bite me.
Old 28-06-2009, 11:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

I know the reply to, "Life is too short to eat crappy foods like
Goddamned Coffemate," is, life is too short to care about the opinion
of some freakin' food snob, but jeez, Barb, I have the decency to keep
my food slumming to myself.

--Bryan

Bully for you. If that provides you your air of superiority, then I'm
happy to help. Bite me.

Old 29-06-2009, 12:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 5:38*pm, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:
In article
,
*Bobo Bonobo« wrote:

Used as a flavoring, I'd bet it's not much more expensive than the
horrific CoffeeMate product, which is chockfull of transfats and HFCS.

--Bryan

It's got lots of -ides, -ates, and -oses but seems devoid of HCFS and
transfats. * *

If so, that's a new thing. Often, they use a serving size that gets
the transfats to 0.5%, which means they can legally say zero. Does
it no longer have "partially hydrogenated..."?
http://www.coffee-mate.com/products/AmarettoLiquid.aspx

Of course not. It's the third ingredient, and instead of HFCS, it has
sugar, which is OK, as is HFCS really, but adding half&half with a
dash of DiSaranno to your coffee instead of that CoffeeMate product is
like using real cheese instead of cheese substitute on a pizza, or
pureed real cherries instead of artificially flavored cherry Kool-Aid
as an ice cream topping.

Bite me.

I think that the slang term you used translates as, "Perform
cunnilingus on me." Did you really mean that? Some mother superior
you are! Can you say, "Nunsploitation film?"

--
-Barb

--Bryan
Old 29-06-2009, 12:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday.
She's a fan. Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water.
Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and reserve
the liquid. Toss the grounds. :-) Add hot water to some to make a cup
of coffee. She says it's great where good coffee flavor is desired.
Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in producing the
extract.

Gonna try that!

We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
apricot butter and need to tend it. Eat your hearts out ő this stuff is
especially delicious.

OK, what kinds booze did you put in it? (I've used Peach Schnapps.
Prefer it plain or with finely grated orange zest.)

gloria p

Old 29-06-2009, 01:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday.
She's a fan. Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water.
Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and
reserve the liquid. Toss the grounds. :-) Add hot water to some to
make a cup of coffee. She says it's great where good coffee flavor is
desired. Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in
producing the extract.

Gonna try that!

We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
apricot butter and need to tend it. Eat your hearts out ő this stuff
is especially delicious.

OK, what kinds booze did you put in it? (I've used Peach Schnapps.
Prefer it plain or with finely grated orange zest.)

gloria p

I'm just curious about who would waste an entire lb of coffee on this
experiment, and if indeed you liked the result, would you continue to
make it on a regular basis?

Bob
Old 29-06-2009, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

Since I just kissed my coffee maker goodbye, I just might have to try
this. I bet it would work for iced coffee too.

Thanks.
Tracy
Old 29-06-2009, 02:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Apricot butter, was Coffee Extract

In article ,
"gloria.p" wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
apricot butter and need to tend it. Eat your hearts out đ this stuff is
especially delicious.

OK, what kinds booze did you put in it? (I've used Peach Schnapps.
Prefer it plain or with finely grated orange zest.)

gloria p

This has two ingredients: Apricots and sugar. Nada mßs. The booze is
mainly for the Peach Stuff and the Blueberry Stuff.

Old 29-06-2009, 02:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Bob Muncie wrote:

I'm just curious about who would waste an entire lb of coffee on this
experiment,

Heck if Iknow. I made half the recipe and don't consider it wasted.

People have wasted more than a pound of coffee on food experiments. And
why do you consider it a waste of coffee?

and if indeed you liked the result, would you continue to
make it on a regular basis?

Bob

I do like the result. Will I make it on a regular basis? IdaKnow.
Likely not, though it was a fresh-tasting cuppa joe when I tried it out
this morning. I think LRK said it'll keep a couple weeks in the
fridge.

Old 29-06-2009, 02:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Bobo Bonobo« wrote:

On Jun 28, 5:38*pm, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:
In article
,
*Bobo Bonobo« wrote:

[...]

What's your position on Beet Jelly made with Raspberry Kool-Aid?

Bite me.

I think that the slang term you used translates as, "Perform
cunnilingus on me."

And here I thought it meant "Kiss my ass!"

Did you really mean that? Some mother superior
you are!

The best.

Can you say, "Nunsploitation film?"

Every schoolboy's fantasy. And speaking of fantasy. . .

Fantasy Fudge
3 cups sugar

3/4 cup margarine
1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
1 pkg. (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate pieces
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme
1 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan. Bring
to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes
over medium heat or until candy thermometer reaches 234░ F., stirring
constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.
Stir in chocolate pieces until melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts and
vanilla. Beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 13-by-9-inch pan.
Cool at room temperature. Cut into squares.
Makes 3 pounds.

Source: http://www.thatsmyhome.com/fudge-rec...tasy-fudge.htm

(D'ya like the margarine? I thought so. Just for you.)