Hahabogus

Default Nancy's Chicken Tortillia Soup

Today is a good day to make soup. And for a while now I've been Craving
Nancy's Chicken tortillia Soup.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Nancy's Chicken Tortilla Soup

soups

1 medium onion chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 carrot; chopped
2-3 garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 4 oz can green chiles
1 15oz can italian herbed tomatoes chopped; with juice
4 cups chicken stock; 4 -6 cups
1 tsp lemon pepper use a strong brand
2 tsp worchester sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin powder
1/2 tsp hot sauce (to taste)
1/2 cup water
4 tbsp flour
1 lb chicken parts skinned and de-boned; i use thighs
1/3 cup sour cream; see note

In a heavy large dutch oven over medium heat soften the onion carrot and
celery in the oil. Add the minced garlic and cook about one more minute.
Add the green chiles and the chopped tomatoes, then add the chicken stock
and the seasoning. Simmer for about 20 minutes.

In a small bowl stir together the flour and water then add to soup.
Simmer
5 minutes more.

Add the chopped chicken meat. Simmer about 5 minutes more*(I use raw
chicken thighs and simmer way longer than 5 minutes).

stir in the sour cream and serve.

Best served with corn tortilla chips .

Note if you are going to freeze parts of this don't add the sour cream
till
ready to serve. Sour cream doesn't freeze well.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
The Ranger

Hahabogus > wrote in message
> Today is a good day to make soup. And for a while now
> I've been Craving Nancy's Chicken tortillia Soup.

[snip]
> 1 4 oz can green chiles

[snip]

Have you ever added fresh chiles (serano, jalapeno, habanero)? How does
that change the flavor? I can guess it would increase the heat slightly,
possibly add a little more texture.

The Ranger

Hahabogus

"The Ranger" > wrote in
:

> Hahabogus > wrote in message
> > Today is a good day to make soup. And for a while now
> > I've been Craving Nancy's Chicken tortillia Soup.

> [snip]
> > 1 4 oz can green chiles

> [snip]
>
> Have you ever added fresh chiles (serano, jalapeno, habanero)? How
> does that change the flavor? I can guess it would increase the heat
> slightly, possibly add a little more texture.
>
> The Ranger

Never did...but heat is good with this soup. Fresh hot peppers/chiles are
hard to get up here...well a trip to another supermarket or 2 will net
you only jalapenos maybe.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Damsel in dis Dress

My favorite thing about this recipe is that Nancy doesn't use chicken OR
tortillas when she makes it. LOL!

The recipe is originally from Joan Lunden. You can find it all over the
web. But Nancy's the one who made it famous here.

Hahabogus >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Today is a good day to make soup. And for a while now I've been Craving
>Nancy's Chicken tortillia Soup.
>

>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Nancy's Chicken Tortilla Soup
>
>soups
>
>1 medium onion chopped
>2 stalks celery chopped
>1 carrot; chopped
>2-3 garlic cloves minced
>2 tbsp vegetable oil
>1 4 oz can green chiles
>1 15oz can italian herbed tomatoes chopped; with juice
>4 cups chicken stock; 4 -6 cups
>1 tsp lemon pepper use a strong brand
>2 tsp worchester sauce
>1 tsp chili powder
>1 tsp ground cumin powder
>1/2 tsp hot sauce (to taste)
>1/2 cup water
>4 tbsp flour
>1 lb chicken parts skinned and de-boned; i use thighs
>1/3 cup sour cream; see note
>
>In a heavy large dutch oven over medium heat soften the onion carrot and
>celery in the oil. Add the minced garlic and cook about one more minute.
>Add the green chiles and the chopped tomatoes, then add the chicken stock
>and the seasoning. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
>
>In a small bowl stir together the flour and water then add to soup.
>Simmer
>5 minutes more.
>
>Add the chopped chicken meat. Simmer about 5 minutes more*(I use raw
>chicken thighs and simmer way longer than 5 minutes).
>
>stir in the sour cream and serve.
>
>Best served with corn tortilla chips .
>
>Note if you are going to freeze parts of this don't add the sour cream
>till
>ready to serve. Sour cream doesn't freeze well.
>

>** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.66 **

Hahabogus

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> My favorite thing about this recipe is that Nancy doesn't use
> chicken OR tortillas when she makes it. LOL!

Yeah it is very versatile...I use a combo of boxed chicken stock and
redibase turkey stock paste as the main liquid. Plus I make it at leasted
doubled or tripled...a very good "It's cold...brrr! It's hot soup time"
type of soup...warms you right up.

Seems you can vary it a great deal and still get a good flavour from it.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

> Hahabogus > wrote in message
> > Today is a good day to make soup. And for a while now
> > I've been Craving Nancy's Chicken tortillia Soup.

> [snip]
> > 1 4 oz can green chiles

> [snip]
>
> Have you ever added fresh chiles (serano, jalapeno, habanero)? How does
> that change the flavor? I can guess it would increase the heat slightly,
> possibly add a little more texture.
>
> The Ranger

I don' know nothing 'bout fresh peppers, but allow me to tell you to be
careful about using a can of chopped jalapeños instead of the green
chilies. Too hot for us, maybe not for some.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
Maverick

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> My favorite thing about this recipe is that Nancy doesn't use chicken OR
> tortillas when she makes it. LOL!
>
> The recipe is originally from Joan Lunden. You can find it all over the
> web. But Nancy's the one who made it famous here.
>

> Hahabogus >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
>>Today is a good day to make soup. And for a while now I've been Craving
>>Nancy's Chicken tortillia Soup.
>>

>>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>>Nancy's Chicken Tortilla Soup
>>
>>soups
>>
>>1 medium onion chopped
>>2 stalks celery chopped
>>1 carrot; chopped
>>2-3 garlic cloves minced
>>2 tbsp vegetable oil
>>1 4 oz can green chiles
>>1 15oz can italian herbed tomatoes chopped; with juice
>>4 cups chicken stock; 4 -6 cups
>>1 tsp lemon pepper use a strong brand
>>2 tsp worchester sauce
>>1 tsp chili powder
>>1 tsp ground cumin powder
>>1/2 tsp hot sauce (to taste)
>>1/2 cup water
>>4 tbsp flour
>>1 lb chicken parts skinned and de-boned; i use thighs

I think the ingredient just above is chicken. ;-> Well, parts of a chicken
I suppose...

Bret

Nancy Young

"Maverick" > wrote

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote

>> My favorite thing about this recipe is that Nancy doesn't use chicken OR
>> tortillas when she makes it. LOL!

>>>1 lb chicken parts skinned and de-boned; i use thighs

> I think the ingredient just above is chicken. ;-> Well, parts of a
> chicken I suppose...

I posted it once with hot italian sausage instead of chicken, and I can
never
be bothered with the tortilla garnish. It was a little joke that I thought
would
make damsel laugh. You had to be there.

nancy (it's great with the sausage)

Maverick

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Maverick" > wrote
>
>> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote

>>> My favorite thing about this recipe is that Nancy doesn't use chicken OR
>>> tortillas when she makes it. LOL!

>> I think the ingredient just above is chicken. ;-> Well, parts of a
>> chicken I suppose...

> I posted it once with hot italian sausage instead of chicken, and I can
> never
> be bothered with the tortilla garnish. It was a little joke that I
> thought would
> make damsel laugh. You had to be there.
>
> nancy (it's great with the sausage)

Gotcha! It sounds great either way, btw! Thanks for the recipe.

Bret

Damsel in dis Dress

"Nancy Young" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>"Maverick" > wrote
>
>> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote

>>> My favorite thing about this recipe is that Nancy doesn't use chicken OR
>>> tortillas when she makes it. LOL!

>> I think the ingredient just above is chicken. ;-> Well, parts of a
>> chicken I suppose...

>I posted it once with hot italian sausage instead of chicken, and I can
>never
>be bothered with the tortilla garnish. It was a little joke that I thought
>would
>make damsel laugh. You had to be there.
>
>nancy (it's great with the sausage)

The funny thing was, no one noticed that she'd omitted the chicken and
tortillas from the recipe. It was a riot!

Carol

The Ranger

Hahabogus > submitted the following recipe in
message ...
> Nancy's Chicken Tortilla Soup
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 1 medium onion chopped
> 2 stalks celery chopped
> 1 carrot; chopped
> 2-3 garlic cloves minced
> 2 tbsp vegetable oil
> 1 4 oz can green chiles
> 1 15oz can italian herbed tomatoes chopped; with juice
> 4 cups chicken stock; 4 -6 cups
> 1 tsp lemon pepper use a strong brand
> 2 tsp worchester sauce
> 1 tsp chili powder
> 1 tsp ground cumin powder
> 1/2 tsp hot sauce (to taste)
> 1/2 cup water
> 4 tbsp flour
> 1 lb chicken parts skinned and de-boned; i use thighs
> 1/3 cup sour cream; see note
>
> In a heavy large dutch oven over medium heat soften
> the onion carrot and celery in the oil. Add the minced
> garlic and cook about one more minute. Add the green
> chiles and the chopped tomatoes, then add the chicken
> stock and the seasoning. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
>
> In a small bowl stir together the flour and water then
> add to soup. Simmer 5 minutes more.
>
> Add the chopped chicken meat. Simmer about 5 minutes
> more*(I use raw chicken thighs and simmer way longer
> than 5 minutes). Stir in the sour cream and serve.
>
> Best served with corn tortilla chips .
>
> Note if you are going to freeze parts of this don't add
> the sour cream till ready to serve. Sour cream doesn't
> freeze well.

I cheated and used my 4-quart Rival Crockpot for most of this soup. I
did fry up several TJ chicken tenderloins strips and shred them
accordingly, though.

I also use La Tapatia Tortilla Chips (Hayward, CA). These chips are
AWESOME!! (Available at your local Safeway.) They're replacing those
tired Doritos and the Doritos-knock-off that we've been purchasing.

The daughter-units weren't impressed that I used real Seranos tonight.
(Of course, they weren't impressed with any of the vegetables so their
opinions are just so much fluff.

The "Contented" Ranger

The Ranger

Melba's Jammin' > warned in message
[snip]
> I don' know nothing 'bout fresh peppers, but allow
> me to tell you to be careful about using a can of
> chopped jalapeños instead of the green chilies.
> Too hot for us, maybe not for some.

I used to use the "chiles" (pickled seranos) in the mini-can. Lately
I've found that fresh peppers have less heat and much greater texture.
Last night, to my tastes, this held true yet again.

BTW: I'm the only one in Clan Ranger that likes jalapenos so it's moot.

The Ranger

Nancy Young

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' > warned in message
> [snip]
>> I don' know nothing 'bout fresh peppers, but allow
>> me to tell you to be careful about using a can of
>> chopped jalapeños instead of the green chilies.
>> Too hot for us, maybe not for some.

> I used to use the "chiles" (pickled seranos) in the mini-can. Lately
> I've found that fresh peppers have less heat and much greater texture.
> Last night, to my tastes, this held true yet again.

I've used fresh jalapenos at times, but really, availability is an issue.
Also, I like to have the ingredients all in the house, not have to run to
the store to pick up something. (that's funny, me running to a store
anyway, but that's a whole nother story) I keep jarred jalapenos in
the refrigerator, I use them for quesadillas, philly cheese steak, like
that. If people have fresh chiles hanging around, the recipe is just
a guideline. Go wild. (laugh)

Speaking of which, I made quesadillas just the other day. I had a
half empty jar of jalapeno slices, picked a few out (I don't like my
food really hot, but a little is okay) ... MAN were they HOT!
They didn't used to be! Is it in any way possible for them to get
hotter as they sit there? Cleared out my sinuses big time (which
is a Good Thing).

nancy