PENMART01

Default Chowder

MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER
Treat yourself to fresh clams for this recipe €” they make all the difference.
This dish originated in Rhode Island during the late 19th century, when, as
story has it, Portuguese immigrants added tomatoes to their chowder. British
New Englanders believed their creamy chowder to be superior and named the
Portuguese version after Manhattan, presuming that New Yorkers were the only
people crazy enough to add tomatoes.

2 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch squares
1/3 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons diced (1/3 inch) green bell pepper
3 tablespoons diced (1/3 inch) celery
2/3 cup diced (1/3 inch) peeled boiling potato (1 small)
1 (8-oz) bottle clam juice
1 cup canned diced tomatoes (8 oz), including juice
1 1/2 dozen small hard-shelled clams (1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter; 2 lb
total), scrubbed well
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Cook bacon in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring,
until golden, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately low, then add onion,
bell pepper, and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in potato, bottled clam juice, and tomatoes (with juice) and simmer,
covered, 10 minutes. Stir in clams and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally,
until clams open wide, 8 to 10 minutes. (Discard any clams that after 10
minutes have not opened.) Remove pan from heat.

Remove most of clamshells with tongs, then detach clams and return them to
chowder. (Keep a few in their shells for garnish.) Stir in parsley and salt and
pepper to taste.

Cooks' note:
Chowder, without clams or parsley, can be made 1 day ahead. Bring to a simmer
before adding clams and proceeding.

Makes 1 serving.

Gourmet
March 2004

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Felice Friese

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER

Snip. Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.

Sheldon, you really must be itching to start something.

Felice

Felice Friese

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER

Snip. Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.

Sheldon, you really must be itching to start something.

Felice

PENMART01

Low class ****wit.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

> "Felice ****wit Friese" drools:
>
>>"PENMART01"wrote:
>>
>> MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER

>Snip. Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.

Low class ****wit.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

BOB

Felice Friese wrote:
> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
>> MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER

> Snip. Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.
>
> Sheldon, you really must be itching to start something.
>
> Felice

No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that stuff
in Manhattan.

BOB

BOB

Felice Friese wrote:
> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
>> MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER

> Snip. Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.
>
> Sheldon, you really must be itching to start something.
>
> Felice

No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that stuff
in Manhattan.

BOB

Jack Schidt®

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Felice Friese wrote:
> > "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >> MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER

> > Snip. Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.
> >
> > Sheldon, you really must be itching to start something.
> >
> > Felice

> No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that

stuff
> in Manhattan.
>
> BOB

Yeahbut....that's the way the portogeese in MA made it long time
ago.....think cioppino.

I know, I know, everyone likes the NE kind, but hell I go for the clear RI
stuff. Errr...not to start the clam chowder shoe bangin' again.

Jack Soupy

Jack Schidt®

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Felice Friese wrote:
> > "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >> MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER

> > Snip. Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.
> >
> > Sheldon, you really must be itching to start something.
> >
> > Felice

> No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that

stuff
> in Manhattan.
>
> BOB

Yeahbut....that's the way the portogeese in MA made it long time
ago.....think cioppino.

I know, I know, everyone likes the NE kind, but hell I go for the clear RI
stuff. Errr...not to start the clam chowder shoe bangin' again.

Jack Soupy

PENMART01

>" BOB" wrote:
>> Felice Friese wrote:

>> > Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.

>> No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that
>>stuff in Manhattan.

Real men eat hearty chunky chowder... that creamy glop is soup for pussies.
Yoose want creamy, I got yoose pussies creamy.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>" BOB" wrote:
>> Felice Friese wrote:

>> > Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.

>> No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that
>>stuff in Manhattan.

Real men eat hearty chunky chowder... that creamy glop is soup for pussies.
Yoose want creamy, I got yoose pussies creamy.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Julia Altshuler

BOB wrote:

> No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that stuff
> in Manhattan.

In my corner of New England, many restaurants serve one sort or another
of a good clam chowder in a tomato broth with vegetables. Some are
spicy; some have more vegetables; some have a more clam flavor. All are
humorously named after some place near Manhattan that they wish to
insult. I no longer think anything of ordering the "Bronx Cheer Clam
Chowder" or the "Joyzee Shore Clam Chowder."

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

BOB wrote:

> No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that stuff
> in Manhattan.

In my corner of New England, many restaurants serve one sort or another
of a good clam chowder in a tomato broth with vegetables. Some are
spicy; some have more vegetables; some have a more clam flavor. All are
humorously named after some place near Manhattan that they wish to
insult. I no longer think anything of ordering the "Bronx Cheer Clam
Chowder" or the "Joyzee Shore Clam Chowder."

--Lia

MOM PEAGRAM

My sentiments exactly! I hate seafood with any tomato base.

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Felice Friese wrote:
> > "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >> MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER

> > Snip. Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.
> >
> > Sheldon, you really must be itching to start something.
> >
> > Felice

> No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that

stuff
> in Manhattan.
>
> BOB

MOM PEAGRAM

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Felice Friese wrote:
> > "PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >> MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER

> > Snip. Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.
> >
> > Sheldon, you really must be itching to start something.
> >
> > Felice

> No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that

stuff
> in Manhattan.
>
> BOB

Every recipe I've seen for Clam Chowder
calls for either salt-pork, or bacon.

Is this essential ?

Do clams really need this ( flavor ) help ?

<rj>

Mark Shaw

In article >,
" BOB" > wrote:
>No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that stuff
>in Manhattan.

Ever had Rhode Island clam chowder? Think of New England style
with some tomatoes in it. It's actually pretty damn good.

Beard has a good recipe for it in _American Cookery_ as I recall.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"[The Blues] is the kind of music that doesn't
Mark Shaw

In article >,
" BOB" > wrote:
>No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that stuff
>in Manhattan.

Ever had Rhode Island clam chowder? Think of New England style
with some tomatoes in it. It's actually pretty damn good.

Beard has a good recipe for it in _American Cookery_ as I recall.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"[The Blues] is the kind of music that doesn't
mince words -- it gets right to it." -Bonnie Raitt
Julia Altshuler

Mark Shaw wrote:

> Ever had Rhode Island clam chowder? Think of New England style
> with some tomatoes in it. It's actually pretty damn good.

Noooo! I think you can get arrested for that up here. You're not
allowed to have ketchup on the table when serving New England clam
chowder. There are hidden microphones to make sure no one utters
forbidden words of "tomato" or "red sauce." Violaters Will Be Prosecuted.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Mark Shaw wrote:

> Ever had Rhode Island clam chowder? Think of New England style
> with some tomatoes in it. It's actually pretty damn good.

Noooo! I think you can get arrested for that up here. You're not
allowed to have ketchup on the table when serving New England clam
chowder. There are hidden microphones to make sure no one utters
forbidden words of "tomato" or "red sauce." Violaters Will Be Prosecuted.

--Lia

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:30:19 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>" BOB" > wrote in message
>> Felice Friese wrote:
>> >
>> > Snip. Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.
>> >
>> > Sheldon, you really must be itching to start something.
>> >
>> > Felice

>> No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that

>stuff
>> in Manhattan.
>>
>> BOB
>>

>Yeahbut....that's the way the portogeese in MA made it long time
>ago.....think cioppino.
>
>I know, I know, everyone likes the NE kind, but hell I go for the clear RI
>stuff. Errr...not to start the clam chowder shoe bangin' again.
>
>Jack Soupy

I don't see why the milk vs tomatoes thing is such a religious issue.
Clam chowder is mostly messed up because the clams are cooked too long
and get rubbery.

The broth can be clear, red, white and be good or not so good. If you
have made a fish stock use that. If you feel like tomatoes, why not?
Or you can make it "New England" with a good dose of creme fraiche
(evil grin).

But don't overcook the clams! Or if you want to overcook the clams to
get the broth the way you want it, take them out and use some more
clams barely cooked to finish. Don't tell your guests you did this.

Harumph grumble grumble . . . .

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"We have achieved the inversion of the single note."
__ Peter Ustinov as Karlheinz Stckhausen
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:30:19 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>" BOB" > wrote in message
>> Felice Friese wrote:
>> >
>> > Snip. Damned if I'll give this abomination a second showing.
>> >
>> > Sheldon, you really must be itching to start something.
>> >
>> > Felice

>> No tomatoes in the clam chowder around here, either. They can keep that

>stuff
>> in Manhattan.
>>
>> BOB
>>

>Yeahbut....that's the way the portogeese in MA made it long time
>ago.....think cioppino.
>
>I know, I know, everyone likes the NE kind, but hell I go for the clear RI
>stuff. Errr...not to start the clam chowder shoe bangin' again.
>
>Jack Soupy

I don't see why the milk vs tomatoes thing is such a religious issue.
Clam chowder is mostly messed up because the clams are cooked too long
and get rubbery.

The broth can be clear, red, white and be good or not so good. If you
have made a fish stock use that. If you feel like tomatoes, why not?
Or you can make it "New England" with a good dose of creme fraiche
(evil grin).

But don't overcook the clams! Or if you want to overcook the clams to
get the broth the way you want it, take them out and use some more
clams barely cooked to finish. Don't tell your guests you did this.

Harumph grumble grumble . . . .

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"We have achieved the inversion of the single note."
__ Peter Ustinov as Karlheinz Stckhausen
Jack Schidt®

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote in message
> I don't see why the milk vs tomatoes thing is such a religious issue.
> Clam chowder is mostly messed up because the clams are cooked too long
> and get rubbery.
>
> The broth can be clear, red, white and be good or not so good. If you
> have made a fish stock use that. If you feel like tomatoes, why not?
> Or you can make it "New England" with a good dose of creme fraiche
> (evil grin).
>
> But don't overcook the clams! Or if you want to overcook the clams to
> get the broth the way you want it, take them out and use some more
> clams barely cooked to finish. Don't tell your guests you did this.
>
> Harumph grumble grumble . . . .

I agree, as I enjoy all the clam chowder types and I've done the 'stock
clams' thing before too. Another way to go is to take the shrimp shells out
of the freezer and make a thin stock with them; it doesn't add a shrimpy
flavor and rounds out the final chowder.

Jack Sopa

Jack Schidt®

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote in message
> I don't see why the milk vs tomatoes thing is such a religious issue.
> Clam chowder is mostly messed up because the clams are cooked too long
> and get rubbery.
>
> The broth can be clear, red, white and be good or not so good. If you
> have made a fish stock use that. If you feel like tomatoes, why not?
> Or you can make it "New England" with a good dose of creme fraiche
> (evil grin).
>
> But don't overcook the clams! Or if you want to overcook the clams to
> get the broth the way you want it, take them out and use some more
> clams barely cooked to finish. Don't tell your guests you did this.
>
> Harumph grumble grumble . . . .

I agree, as I enjoy all the clam chowder types and I've done the 'stock
clams' thing before too. Another way to go is to take the shrimp shells out
of the freezer and make a thin stock with them; it doesn't add a shrimpy
flavor and rounds out the final chowder.

Jack Sopa

Kevin & Amanda

Hello Everyone: Most of the restaurants that we have been to here in
Southern New England have both the Red chowder and the white chowder and
some also have the clear. When my family makes it it is mostly the
red one but they use tomato soup and not chunks of tomato. Salt pork
is also used. A side note to this is that my family has always put a
little sugar in the clam cake batter. Have any of you ever heard of
doing this? Have a nice sunny day. Amanda

PENMART01

>"Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>
>>"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote:
>>
>> I don't see why the milk vs tomatoes thing is such a religious issue.
>> Clam chowder is mostly messed up because the clams are cooked too long
>> and get rubbery.
>>
>> The broth can be clear, red, white and be good or not so good. If you
>> have made a fish stock use that. If you feel like tomatoes, why not?
>> Or you can make it "New England" with a good dose of creme fraiche
>> (evil grin).
>>
>> But don't overcook the clams! Or if you want to overcook the clams to
>> get the broth the way you want it, take them out and use some more
>> clams barely cooked to finish. Don't tell your guests you did this.

>I agree, as I enjoy all the clam chowder types and I've done the 'stock
>clams' thing before too. Another way to go is to take the shrimp shells out
>of the freezer and make a thin stock with them; it doesn't add a shrimpy
>flavor and rounds out the final chowder.
>
>Jack Sopa

http://www.clamato.com/receta1_ing.htm

--= Clamato Caldo Verde =--

Ingredients

1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups Clamato
3 cups chicken broth or water
8 oz. chorizo, crumbled
1 bunch collards, kale or other green, shredded
1 pound large cooked shrimp
Preparation

1. Heat a large saucepan on medium-high. Sauté the onion and garlic in a little
oil for about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
Add Clamato and broth, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.

2. While the potatoes simmer, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté
chorizo for about 10 minutes. Drain fat and reserve.

3. When potatoes are soft, mash them in the pan, then add the chorizo and
greens. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Add
shrimp and let heat through.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>"Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>
>>"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote:
>>
>> I don't see why the milk vs tomatoes thing is such a religious issue.
>> Clam chowder is mostly messed up because the clams are cooked too long
>> and get rubbery.
>>
>> The broth can be clear, red, white and be good or not so good. If you
>> have made a fish stock use that. If you feel like tomatoes, why not?
>> Or you can make it "New England" with a good dose of creme fraiche
>> (evil grin).
>>
>> But don't overcook the clams! Or if you want to overcook the clams to
>> get the broth the way you want it, take them out and use some more
>> clams barely cooked to finish. Don't tell your guests you did this.

>I agree, as I enjoy all the clam chowder types and I've done the 'stock
>clams' thing before too. Another way to go is to take the shrimp shells out
>of the freezer and make a thin stock with them; it doesn't add a shrimpy
>flavor and rounds out the final chowder.
>
>Jack Sopa

http://www.clamato.com/receta1_ing.htm

--= Clamato Caldo Verde =--

Ingredients

1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups Clamato
3 cups chicken broth or water
8 oz. chorizo, crumbled
1 bunch collards, kale or other green, shredded
1 pound large cooked shrimp
Preparation

1. Heat a large saucepan on medium-high. Sauté the onion and garlic in a little
oil for about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
Add Clamato and broth, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.

2. While the potatoes simmer, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté
chorizo for about 10 minutes. Drain fat and reserve.

3. When potatoes are soft, mash them in the pan, then add the chorizo and
greens. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Add
shrimp and let heat through.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:14:06 -0500, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>Every recipe I've seen for Clam Chowder
>calls for either salt-pork, or bacon.
>
>Is this essential ?
>
>Do clams really need this ( flavor ) help ?

THose are separate questions. You can make all sorts of clam soups
that are not chowder, depending on how traditional your definition is.

They do not "need" the help, but it is nice. I often make a soup of
littlenecks with pasta and sliced cured pheasant sausage. A
Portuguese-ish soup might have chorizo in it.

All these definitions only matter if you are required (by a contest
rule, or such) to make a "chowder," and not a "soup." If you are just
making it to eat, do whatever you want.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"We have achieved the inversion of the single note."
__ Peter Ustinov as Karlheinz Stckhausen

Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

>Every recipe I've seen for Clam Chowder
>calls for either salt-pork, or bacon.
>
>Is this essential ?
>
>Do clams really need this ( flavor ) help ?

THose are separate questions. You can make all sorts of clam soups
that are not chowder, depending on how traditional your definition is.

They do not "need" the help, but it is nice. I often make a soup of
littlenecks with pasta and sliced cured pheasant sausage. A
Portuguese-ish soup might have chorizo in it.

All these definitions only matter if you are required (by a contest
rule, or such) to make a "chowder," and not a "soup." If you are just
making it to eat, do whatever you want.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"We have achieved the inversion of the single note."
__ Peter Ustinov as Karlheinz Stckhausen
Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"Jack Schidt®" wrote:
> >
> >>"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't see why the milk vs tomatoes thing is such a religious issue.
> >> Clam chowder is mostly messed up because the clams are cooked too long
> >> and get rubbery.
> >>
> >> The broth can be clear, red, white and be good or not so good. If you
> >> have made a fish stock use that. If you feel like tomatoes, why not?
> >> Or you can make it "New England" with a good dose of creme fraiche
> >> (evil grin).
> >>
> >> But don't overcook the clams! Or if you want to overcook the clams to
> >> get the broth the way you want it, take them out and use some more
> >> clams barely cooked to finish. Don't tell your guests you did this.

> >I agree, as I enjoy all the clam chowder types and I've done the 'stock
> >clams' thing before too. Another way to go is to take the shrimp shells

out
> >of the freezer and make a thin stock with them; it doesn't add a shrimpy
> >flavor and rounds out the final chowder.
> >
> >Jack Sopa

> http://www.clamato.com/receta1_ing.htm
>
> --= Clamato Caldo Verde =--
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
> 3 cups Clamato
> 3 cups chicken broth or water
> 8 oz. chorizo, crumbled
> 1 bunch collards, kale or other green, shredded
> 1 pound large cooked shrimp
> Preparation
>
> 1. Heat a large saucepan on medium-high. Sauté the onion and garlic in a

little
> oil for about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and sauté for another 2-3

minutes.
> Add Clamato and broth, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
>
> 2. While the potatoes simmer, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and

sauté
> chorizo for about 10 minutes. Drain fat and reserve.
>
> 3. When potatoes are soft, mash them in the pan, then add the chorizo and
> greens. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for another 10 minutes.

Add
> shrimp and let heat through.
> ---

I just gotta visit the 'juice ghetto' section of my local supmart, past the
prune and carrot juices, and fetch some more Clamato!

Jack Clamzo

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"Jack Schidt®" wrote:
> >
> >>"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't see why the milk vs tomatoes thing is such a religious issue.
> >> Clam chowder is mostly messed up because the clams are cooked too long
> >> and get rubbery.
> >>
> >> The broth can be clear, red, white and be good or not so good. If you
> >> have made a fish stock use that. If you feel like tomatoes, why not?
> >> Or you can make it "New England" with a good dose of creme fraiche
> >> (evil grin).
> >>
> >> But don't overcook the clams! Or if you want to overcook the clams to
> >> get the broth the way you want it, take them out and use some more
> >> clams barely cooked to finish. Don't tell your guests you did this.

> >I agree, as I enjoy all the clam chowder types and I've done the 'stock
> >clams' thing before too. Another way to go is to take the shrimp shells

out
> >of the freezer and make a thin stock with them; it doesn't add a shrimpy
> >flavor and rounds out the final chowder.
> >
> >Jack Sopa

> http://www.clamato.com/receta1_ing.htm
>
> --= Clamato Caldo Verde =--
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
> 3 cups Clamato
> 3 cups chicken broth or water
> 8 oz. chorizo, crumbled
> 1 bunch collards, kale or other green, shredded
> 1 pound large cooked shrimp
> Preparation
>
> 1. Heat a large saucepan on medium-high. Sauté the onion and garlic in a

little
> oil for about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and sauté for another 2-3

minutes.
> Add Clamato and broth, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
>
> 2. While the potatoes simmer, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and

sauté
> chorizo for about 10 minutes. Drain fat and reserve.
>
> 3. When potatoes are soft, mash them in the pan, then add the chorizo and
> greens. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for another 10 minutes.

Add
> shrimp and let heat through.
> ---

I just gotta visit the 'juice ghetto' section of my local supmart, past the
prune and carrot juices, and fetch some more Clamato!

Jack Clamzo

PENMART01

> "Jack Schidt®" writes:
>
>"PENMART01" wrote:
>> http://www.clamato.com/receta1_ing.htm
>>
>> --= Clamato Caldo Verde =--

>I just gotta visit the 'juice ghetto' section of my local supmart, past the
>prune and carrot juices, and fetch some more Clamato!
>
>Jack Clamzo

Six-Pac Flabs Clamato Beer

Ingredients:
Clamato
1/4 Beer
Tabasco sauce
Lemon juice

Preparation:

Rim beer glass with salt and chili powder, include ice, Tabasco sauce as you
like and the lemon juice. To finish serve a quarter of beer and CLAMATO until
the top of your glass add salt and that´s it!
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

> "Jack Schidt®" writes:
>
>"PENMART01" wrote:
>> http://www.clamato.com/receta1_ing.htm
>>
>> --= Clamato Caldo Verde =--

>I just gotta visit the 'juice ghetto' section of my local supmart, past the
>prune and carrot juices, and fetch some more Clamato!
>
>Jack Clamzo

Six-Pac Flabs Clamato Beer

Ingredients:
Clamato
1/4 Beer
Tabasco sauce
Lemon juice

Preparation:

Rim beer glass with salt and chili powder, include ice, Tabasco sauce as you
like and the lemon juice. To finish serve a quarter of beer and CLAMATO until
the top of your glass add salt and that´s it!
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > "Jack Schidt®" writes:
> >
> >"PENMART01" wrote:
> >> http://www.clamato.com/receta1_ing.htm
> >>
> >> --= Clamato Caldo Verde =--

> >I just gotta visit the 'juice ghetto' section of my local supmart, past

the
> >prune and carrot juices, and fetch some more Clamato!
> >
> >Jack Clamzo

> Six-Pac Flabs Clamato Beer
>
> Ingredients:
> Clamato
> 1/4 Beer
> Tabasco sauce
> Lemon juice
>
> Preparation:
>
> Rim beer glass with salt and chili powder, include ice, Tabasco sauce as

you
> like and the lemon juice. To finish serve a quarter of beer and CLAMATO

until
> the top of your glass add salt and that´s it!
> ---

another good one! Clamato rulez!

Jack Motts

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > "Jack Schidt®" writes:
> >
> >"PENMART01" wrote:
> >> http://www.clamato.com/receta1_ing.htm
> >>
> >> --= Clamato Caldo Verde =--

> >I just gotta visit the 'juice ghetto' section of my local supmart, past

the
> >prune and carrot juices, and fetch some more Clamato!
> >
> >Jack Clamzo

> Six-Pac Flabs Clamato Beer
>
> Ingredients:
> Clamato
> 1/4 Beer
> Tabasco sauce
> Lemon juice
>
> Preparation:
>
> Rim beer glass with salt and chili powder, include ice, Tabasco sauce as

you
> like and the lemon juice. To finish serve a quarter of beer and CLAMATO

until
> the top of your glass add salt and that´s it!
> ---

another good one! Clamato rulez!

Jack Motts

Mark Shaw

In article <LI68c.65998$JL2.905992@attbi_s03>,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>Mark Shaw wrote:
>
>> Ever had Rhode Island clam chowder? Think of New England style
>> with some tomatoes in it. It's actually pretty damn good.

>Noooo! I think you can get arrested for that up here. You're not
>allowed to have ketchup on the table when serving New England clam
>chowder. There are hidden microphones to make sure no one utters
>forbidden words of "tomato" or "red sauce." Violaters Will Be Prosecuted.

Heh. Come to the Dark Side, Lia....

It's actually quite good. I happen to agree with James Beard
on Manhattan style (as I recall, "an abomination; it's as though
some clams were accidentally dumped into a pot of vegetable soup"),
but Rhode Island style is delightful.

Still, New England style rules.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"Grown men are not comfortable explaining why they want to use the sniper
Mark Shaw

Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>Mark Shaw wrote:
>
>> Ever had Rhode Island clam chowder? Think of New England style
>> with some tomatoes in it. It's actually pretty damn good.

>Noooo! I think you can get arrested for that up here. You're not
>allowed to have ketchup on the table when serving New England clam
>chowder. There are hidden microphones to make sure no one utters
>forbidden words of "tomato" or "red sauce." Violaters Will Be Prosecuted.

Heh. Come to the Dark Side, Lia....

It's actually quite good. I happen to agree with James Beard
on Manhattan style (as I recall, "an abomination; it's as though
some clams were accidentally dumped into a pot of vegetable soup"),
but Rhode Island style is delightful.

Still, New England style rules.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"Grown men are not comfortable explaining why they want to use the sniper
rifle on fictional dogs with speech impediments." -James Lileks

Conch chowder Cindy Fuller General Cooking 5 22-07-2007 10:25 PM
Fish Chowder ? jmcquown General Cooking 20 10-02-2005 12:04 AM
Chowder Mike Avery Sourdough 2 10-11-2003 03:11 PM
Chowder Horusman Sourdough 1 10-11-2003 02:55 PM