Default AVOCADO ?

I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.

But avocados have me puzzled.
A spoonful of avocado tastes like
a spoonful of lard.....
Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.

Is this one of these totally neutral items
that only supplies color and texture
to the other ingredients ?

Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
the "avocado tastebuds" ?

<rj>
Dee Randall

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.
>
> But avocados have me puzzled.
> A spoonful of avocado tastes like
> a spoonful of lard.....
> Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.
>
> Is this one of these totally neutral items
> that only supplies color and texture
> to the other ingredients ?
>
> Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
> the "avocado tastebuds" ?

Dear RJ,
Funny, but I just finished an hour ago spooning out an avocado, even
without salt shaker handy. I, too, couldn't understand the fuss when I
first was gifted with a peck of them by a friend some 30 years ago. They
went to waste and I always will regret that.
Just find a good recipe for guacamole -- keep it simple for one avocado.
Mash it up, add a small clove of garlic, a little lime juice, a teensy
cherry tomato, and if you like a tiny amount of a jalepeno. Any of these
additions will add to your beginning to like this. If you are a potato chip
eater, mix those ingredients together with a little sour cream so that you
can scoop it up, or just spoon it into your mouth. I'm sure you will begin
to like it. Avocados are very good for you, as well as putting on the
weight.
Dee

Dwayne

I have to make sure they are ripe before I enjoy them. They have to be
soft (not mushy) to the touch. I like them sliced into salads or mashed and
put on a piece of buttered bread. A little salt helps to bring out the
flavor.

Please try them again. Sometimes they wont taste good no matter what you
do, depending on what type they are.

Butter avocados taste like what you described. The butter avocados I have
eaten seemed to be more yellow inside. I don't know what the other type is
called, but they seem to be a little smaller and light green inside. I like
the second one much better than the butter avocados.

Dwayne

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
>>
>> I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.
>>
>> But avocados have me puzzled.
>> A spoonful of avocado tastes like
>> a spoonful of lard.....
>> Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.
>>
>> Is this one of these totally neutral items
>> that only supplies color and texture
>> to the other ingredients ?
>>
>> Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
>> the "avocado tastebuds" ?
>>

> Dear RJ,
> Funny, but I just finished an hour ago spooning out an avocado, even
> without salt shaker handy. I, too, couldn't understand the fuss when I
> first was gifted with a peck of them by a friend some 30 years ago. They
> went to waste and I always will regret that.
> Just find a good recipe for guacamole -- keep it simple for one avocado.
> Mash it up, add a small clove of garlic, a little lime juice, a teensy
> cherry tomato, and if you like a tiny amount of a jalepeno. Any of these
> additions will add to your beginning to like this. If you are a potato
> chip eater, mix those ingredients together with a little sour cream so
> that you can scoop it up, or just spoon it into your mouth. I'm sure you
> will begin to like it. Avocados are very good for you, as well as putting
> on the weight.
> Dee

Charles Gifford

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.
>
> But avocados have me puzzled.
> A spoonful of avocado tastes like
> a spoonful of lard.....
> Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.
>
> Is this one of these totally neutral items
> that only supplies color and texture
> to the other ingredients ?
>
> Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
> the "avocado tastebuds" ?
>

> <rj>

Avocados have a "buttery" texture and mouth-feel. The flavor is of avocado.
I do not remember if you have said where you are, but that will make a
difference. Avocados are not Tex-Mex. They are a native of Mexico. Outside
of Mexico they have been grown commercially in San Diego County for well
over 100 years. If not Mexican cuisine, avocados are Cal-Mex. In California
they have also been part of the "normal all-American" cuisine. Growing up in
San Diego, avocados were as common as oranges or apples for me. Today, the
main growers in the U.S. are in California, Florida and Hawaii. By far the
major producer is California and 70% of California avocados come from San
Diego. Not too many years ago, 80% of all U.S. grown avocados came from San
Diego. Mexican avocados used to be banned because of insect fears. Now all
states allow Mexican avocados to be imported except for California, Florida,
and Hawaii. This is going to end soon (NAFTA crap) and Mexican avocados will
be sold in those states too. Inevitably the San Diego avocado market will be
undersold by imported fruit. There are many varieties of avocados sold. They
differ in taste and fat levels. Most folks prefer the Hass which came from a
single mutation in one tree in Orange County, just north of San Diego. The
tree died about a year ago. A sad end of a miracle tree. A variety of
Hawaiian grown avocado are rightly valued because of their large size,
flavor and fat content. Avocados are notoriously noted for their growing
needs. The slightest bad weather can ruin a crop as can shipping and how
they are handled. I have eaten avocados from Florida, Mexico, Hawaii and
Israel. All were good and bad depending on the particular avocado. Avocados
are a crap shoot. There is often no way to tell if an avocado is good or
not until you taste it. Often they are watery and tasteless rather than
buttery and rich. This can be caused by a number of factors. Perhaps your
avocado had a difficult childhood. Too much water or a cold night, etc. You
might have opened it before it was perfectly ripe (which is better than
opening it too late).

They are temperamental, but they are definitely not Tex-Mex. <grin>

Charlie

Arri London

"" wrote:

> I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.
>
> But avocados have me puzzled.
> A spoonful of avocado tastes like
> a spoonful of lard.....
> Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.
>
> Is this one of these totally neutral items
> that only supplies color and texture
> to the other ingredients ?
>
> Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
> the "avocado tastebuds" ?
>
> <rj>

You may not have a good avocado; it may not be ripe; you may not have
avocado tastebuds

A ripe avocado has a very distinctive flavour. If you try a few more and
still can't taste anything save your money. There's plenty else to eat
in the world.

smithfarms pure kona

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:27:03 -0700, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.
>
>But avocados have me puzzled.
>A spoonful of avocado tastes like
>a spoonful of lard.....
>Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.
>
>Is this one of these totally neutral items
>that only supplies color and texture
>to the other ingredients ?
>
>Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
>the "avocado tastebuds" ?
>

><rj>

I think you did not have a good tasting avocado. Just try another
type if offered you. I personally think Kahaluu tastes like
heavenand I don't know if it is available to you, but don't give up
yet. Frankly in the land of avocados, as Kona is, I only make
guacamole if I think the avocado tastes good enough.

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
pennyaline

<RJ> wrote:
> I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.
>
> But avocados have me puzzled.
> A spoonful of avocado tastes like
> a spoonful of lard.....
> Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.
>
> Is this one of these totally neutral items
> that only supplies color and texture
> to the other ingredients ?
>
> Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
> the "avocado tastebuds" ?

I first tasted avocado more than twenty years ago. It looked lovely inside
and out, and I was desperately disappointed that eating it was like eating
Crisco from the can with a spoon. I have eaten avocado since, seasoned and
jazzed up into guacamole and so on, but I can't shake my first experience.
To me, it is and will always be bleeeeehhhhhh.

notbob

On 2005-02-27, Charles Gifford > wrote:

> are a crap shoot. There is often no way to tell if an avocado is good or
> not until you taste it. Often they are watery and tasteless rather than
> buttery and rich.

Too late! The genetic cloneboys have taken the avocado the same way
as tomatoes, onions, etc, and have made even the buttery and rich
completely tasteless. I've noticed this from the Chilean Hass
avocados. Great texture, no flavor, just like US tomatoes. So sad.

nb
Damsel in dis Dress

"Charles Gifford" >, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>I have eaten avocados from Florida, Mexico, Hawaii and Israel.

I had some from Chile recently. The Haas avocados we were getting at that
time had weird brown spots and veins near the seeds. They weren't bruises.
The Chilean avocados were just fantastic. Wish I could remember the name
of the variety.

Carol

-L.

<RJ> wrote:
> I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.
>
> But avocados have me puzzled.
> A spoonful of avocado tastes like
> a spoonful of lard.....
> Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.
>
> Is this one of these totally neutral items
> that only supplies color and texture
> to the other ingredients ?
>
> Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
> the "avocado tastebuds" ?
>

> <rj>

They have a distinct flavor to me. But they also act as a flavor
enhancer as well...why not mix in some salsa, garlic, pepper and a
little lime and make yourself some guac?

-L.

Andy

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> I had some from Chile recently. The Haas avocados we were getting at
> that time had weird brown spots and veins near the seeds. They
> weren't bruises. The Chilean avocados were just fantastic. Wish I
> could remember the name of the variety.
>
> Carol

When you buy avos, make sure you pick the ones with the hard nib on top.
If it's missing, the air lets the avo rot rather than ripen.

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)
Sandi

We have about 7 varieties of avocados here where I live in Central
America. Every one of them has a slightly different taste. We even have
one that has slight overtones of anise/licorice.

All have the=A8"buttery" taste and mouthfeel that Charlie Gifford
described in his post. I like them mashed with a little bit of salt to
bring out the flavor (I spread this on sandwhiches). I will also chop
them into chunks and add to salads or use in Guacamole.

Sandi

Sheldon

Andy wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
> :
>
> > I had some from Chile recently. The Haas avocados we were getting

at
> > that time had weird brown spots and veins near the seeds. They
> > weren't bruises. The Chilean avocados were just fantastic. Wish I
> > could remember the name of the variety.
> >
> > Carol

> When you buy avos, make sure you pick the ones with the hard nib on

top.
> If it's missing, the air lets the avo rot rather than ripen.
>
> Andy

Yo, Andy Boy, get back over to the broccoli, eh.

Sheldon

Charles Gifford wrote:
> [...]

how
> they are handled. I have eaten avocados from Florida, Mexico, Hawaii

and
> Israel. All were good and bad depending on the particular avocado.

Avocados
> are a crap shoot. There is often no way to tell if an avocado is

good or
> not until you taste it. Often they are watery and tasteless rather

than
> buttery and rich. This can be caused by a number of factors. Perhaps

your
> avocado had a difficult childhood. Too much water or a cold night,

etc. You
> might have opened it before it was perfectly ripe (which is better

than
> opening it too late).
>
> They are temperamental, but they are definitely not Tex-Mex. <grin>

Go he http://www.avocado.org

Sheldon

CaptCook

"pennyaline" wrote ...
> I first tasted avocado more than twenty years ago. It looked lovely

inside
> and out, and I was desperately disappointed that eating it was like

eating
> Crisco from the can with a spoon. I have eaten avocado since,

seasoned and
> jazzed up into guacamole and so on, but I can't shake my first

experience.
> To me, it is and will always be bleeeeehhhhhh.

My experience was similar. Avocados seem to be nature's tofu. But
they are a great base for many other foods.

Andy

"Sheldon" > wrote in news:1109513043.384683.59140
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Andy wrote:
>> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > I had some from Chile recently. The Haas avocados we were getting

> at
>> > that time had weird brown spots and veins near the seeds. They
>> > weren't bruises. The Chilean avocados were just fantastic. Wish I
>> > could remember the name of the variety.
>> >
>> > Carol

>> When you buy avos, make sure you pick the ones with the hard nib on

> top.
>> If it's missing, the air lets the avo rot rather than ripen.
>>
>> Andy

> Yo, Andy Boy, get back over to the broccoli, eh.

WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

Leave me alone, MORON!

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)
Dave Smith

"" wrote:

> I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.
>
> But avocados have me puzzled.
> A spoonful of avocado tastes like
> a spoonful of lard.....
> Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.
>
> Is this one of these totally neutral items
> that only supplies color and texture
> to the other ingredients ?
>
> Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
> the "avocado tastebuds" ?

I can take them or leave them. I am sure that if I lived in an
area where they were grown and had access to tree ripened
fruit I would appreciate them a lot more. I admit that I
developed a taste for them slowly, my first exposure being a
shrimp (or crab?) salad with avocado that I later learned was
much too hard and nutty tasting to be used for that salad.

I would also love to live some place where I could have things
like tree/plant ripened pineapple or mangoes. Maybe I will
just have to be content with the local seasonal fruits. My
neighbours grow strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, sweet
cherries, sour cherries, apricots, pears, peaches, rhubarb.
Maybe I am better off with access to that stuff fresh than to
risk it all for a few mangoes and avocados.

Sheldon

Andy wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in news:1109513043.384683.59140
> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>

> > Andy wrote:
> >> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
> >> :

getting
> > at

> >> When you buy avos, make sure you pick the ones with the hard nib

on
> > top.
> >> If it's missing, the air lets the avo rot rather than ripen.
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Yo, Andy Boy, get back over to the broccoli, eh.
> >

> WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

Why I be your daddy... now go eat your broccoli... Andy Boy.

Damsel in dis Dress

"CaptCook" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>My experience was similar. Avocados seem to be nature's tofu. But
>they are a great base for many other foods.

Avocados are so creamy, smooth, and luscious. I eat them right out of the
skin, as a dessert. I'm not sure if I've ever used them any other way.

As for flavor, at the very minimum, they should have a little chlorophyll
flavor.

Carol

Zathras

wrote:

>But avocados have me puzzled.
>A spoonful of avocado tastes like
>a spoonful of lard.....
>Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.

Add a clove of garlic to some soy sauce and let it sit for a while,
then dip a piece of avocado in. Yum!
Sheldon

Zathras wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:27:03 -0700, "<RJ>" >
> wrote:
>
> >But avocados have me puzzled.
> >A spoonful of avocado tastes like
> >a spoonful of lard.....
> >Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.

> Add a clove of garlic to some soy sauce and let it sit for a while,
> then dip a piece of avocado in. Yum!

Or the low caloric version...

Add a clove of garlic to some soy sauce and let it sit for a while,
> then dip a piece of TOFU in. Yum!

Flavor-wise avocado is little more than high fat tofu.

The culinary value of avocado is mostly a textural(and color)
thingie... hey, remember avocado kitchens... well, the new "bisque"
appliances are actually *tofu*, but then who'd buy that.

Btw, there are low fat guacamole recipes where tofu is substituted for
avocado... but asparagus guacamole is much better.

Asparagus Guacamole

http://www.calasparagus.com/index.htm

INGREDIENTS:
4 Cups (1 lb.) cut, trimmed, fresh Asparagus (or)
4 Cups (2pkg. 10 oz. Each) frozen, cut Asparagus
1 small garlic clove, minced
2 tsps. Lime juice
1/4 Cup canned, chopped green chiles
1/2 tsp. Salt; 1/2 tsp. Cumin
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1/2 Cup chopped, seeded tomato

Cook Asparagus in small amount of water until tender. Drain well and
cool.

In a food processor, process asparagus and next five ingredients until
mixture is smooth (30 seconds). Scrape bowl frequently. Remove from
food processor and stir in onion and tomato.

Chill thoroughly before serving with tortilla chips, cut vegetables,
chicken or seafood.

Serves 4

ENJOY!

Nutrients per serving: Calories 43; Protein 2.9 grams; Fat 0.2 grams;
Calories from Fat 3%; Carbohydrate 7.8 grams; Cholesterol 0 mg; Fiber 3
grams; Sodium 312 mg.

serene

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:38:03 -0800, Sheldon wrote
(in article . com>):

> Flavor-wise avocado is little more than high fat tofu.

Oh, wow, I couldn't disagree more. Avocados taste heavenly to me.
Not that I dislike tofu, but avocados are not the neutral, bland
thing I've seen described here.

serene

Katra

In article et>,
serene > wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:38:03 -0800, Sheldon wrote
> (in article . com>):
>
> > Flavor-wise avocado is little more than high fat tofu.

> Oh, wow, I couldn't disagree more. Avocados taste heavenly to me.
> Not that I dislike tofu, but avocados are not the neutral, bland
> thing I've seen described here.
>
> serene

I agree... They have a wonderful rich flavor all their own! :-)
Not the least bit bland......
--
K.
Scott Peterson

"Charles Gifford" > wrote:

>They are a native of Mexico.

The green skinned ones are varieties of Mexican Ancestry. The harder
black skinned ones are from Guatamalan stock.

Often when people complain that an avocado has no flavor it's either
because the avocado was picked to green, isn't ripe or they have
gotten one of the junk varieties like Zutanos that have flavor
approximating old cardboard. Get a better variety like a Fuerte or
Haas and you'll have a better idea what an avocado should taste like.

Scott Peterson

--
You know how dumb the average
person is? Well, by definition,

220/611

Phred

In article >, Katra > wrote:
>In article et>,
> serene > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:38:03 -0800, Sheldon wrote
>> (in article . com>):
>>
>> > Flavor-wise avocado is little more than high fat tofu.

>> Oh, wow, I couldn't disagree more. Avocados taste heavenly to me.
>> Not that I dislike tofu, but avocados are not the neutral, bland
>> thing I've seen described here.

>I agree... They have a wonderful rich flavor all their own! :-)
>Not the least bit bland......

Avocados are at least edible, tofu is Yuck!

(It must be admitted, there are some quite marked differences in
the flavour of avo varieties, and maturity at harvest is important!)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Peter Aitken

"serene" > wrote in message
al.net...
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:38:03 -0800, Sheldon wrote
> (in article . com>):
>
>> Flavor-wise avocado is little more than high fat tofu.

> Oh, wow, I couldn't disagree more. Avocados taste heavenly to me.
> Not that I dislike tofu, but avocados are not the neutral, bland
> thing I've seen described here.
>
> serene

For bad avocados this is a good description, and usually the large ones
(from Florida I believe) fit this pretty well. But a good California
avocado, properly ripened, has a unique and delicious taste that is like
nothing else.

--
Peter Aitken

serene

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 05:52:16 -0800, Phred wrote
(in article >):

> Avocados are at least edible, tofu is Yuck!

*shrug* I became a vegetarian when tofu was considered nearly
mandatory (more than twenty years ago), so I developed a taste for
it. I like it.

serene

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.
>
> But avocados have me puzzled.
> A spoonful of avocado tastes like
> a spoonful of lard.....
> Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.
>
> Is this one of these totally neutral items
> that only supplies color and texture
> to the other ingredients ?
>
> Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
> the "avocado tastebuds" ?

an unripe avacado is indeed almost like spoon of hard lard, not worth
anything but hiding under dressing.

a ripe avacado is a complex set of flavors that vary as the variety and the
soil and conditions in which they were grown and the degree of ripeness-
some have a garlic flavor, some have a sweet flavor, some have a rich
background aroma that fills the sinuses like cognac does.

an avacado is ripe a day or two after you get it home from the store, when
you can touch it on the sides with your fingers and the flesh under the skin
just slightly gives. The riper it gets, the different the flavors.

Use a sharp knife to halve it lengthwise to the pit, then turn one side
against the other and remove the side without the pit.
Holding the other half in your palm, pit up, use the knife edge to tap
once into the pit, and turn the pit and take it out. (Kudos to the
senora who showed me that trick)

The skin of a ripe avacado will peel off very easily from the big end sort
of turning inside out. or from the small end kind of sliding out as the skin
peels back.

Once ripe, avacados seem to change flavors as they ripen, until they start
to grey and really mush up. The ones we got now get more garlicky the riper
they are.

fwiw

Charles Gifford

"Scott Peterson" > wrote in message
> "Charles Gifford" > wrote:
>
> >They are a native of Mexico.

> The green skinned ones are varieties of Mexican Ancestry. The harder
> black skinned ones are from Guatamalan stock.

<snip>

It ain't quite that cut-n-dried, but you are correct. I did not address the
C.A. avocados because I was contrasting the original posters use of
"Tex-Mex" with Mexican.

Charlie

Sheldon

"Charles Gifford" wrote:

> > >They are a native of Mexico.

> > The green skinned ones are varieties of Mexican Ancestry. The

harder
> > black skinned ones are from Guatamalan stock.

> <snip>
>
> It ain't quite that cut-n-dried, but you are correct. I did not

address the
> C.A. avocados because I was contrasting the original posters use of
> "Tex-Mex" with Mexican.

I'm not quite sure of the above attributions, so bite me.

Someone is going to have validate the claim about which color skinned
avocado originated where with citations... personally I think,
considering the avocado is known to have originated some 5-6 Thousand
years BC, with no mention of any color skin whatsoever, the above claim
is a lotta hooey.

This is the best I can find:
http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts...do-history.php

I tend to think the original avocado was light-ish green smooth
skinned, the dark pebbly skinned ie. Hass-ish being a very recent
example.

Sheldon

Phred

In article et>, serene > wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 05:52:16 -0800, Phred wrote
>(in article >):
>
>> Avocados are at least edible, tofu is Yuck!

>*shrug* I became a vegetarian when tofu was considered nearly
>mandatory (more than twenty years ago), so I developed a taste for
>it. I like it.

Fair enough. I know people who like strange things too. ;-)

Anyway, perhaps it's in the preparation? My mother completely
buggered up her one and only attempt at cooking brains when I was a
kid and I haven't been able to eat the bloody things ever since!
(I suspect it put the old man off them for life too.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

ScratchMonkey

"--" > wrote in
:

> The skin of a ripe avacado will peel off very easily from the big
> end sort
> of turning inside out. or from the small end kind of sliding out as
> the skin peels back.

I like the dark green flesh close to the skin, so I take a large spoon and
scoop the flesh out, hugging the inside surface of the skin with the edge
of the spoon. And then go back and scrape any of the green good stuff I
miss.
Sheldon

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "--" > wrote in
> :
>
> > The skin of a ripe avacado will peel off very easily from the big
> > end sort
> > of turning inside out. or from the small end kind of sliding out as
> > the skin peels back.

> I like the dark green flesh close to the skin, so I take a large

spoon and
> scoop the flesh out, hugging the inside surface of the skin with the

edge
> of the spoon. And then go back and scrape any of the green good stuff

> miss.

I think the Avocado Commission calls that good stuff the Smegma.

Doug Freyburger

<RJ> wrote:

> I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.
>
> But avocados have me puzzled.
> A spoonful of avocado tastes like
> a spoonful of lard.....
> Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.
>
> Is this one of these totally neutral items
> that only supplies color and texture
> to the other ingredients ?

Nope. For th eones who can detect the specific
chemical(s) involved they have a distinctive
flavor.

> Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
> the "avocado tastebuds" ?

Definitely genetic. To me they may as well be
green crayons. Avocados are wasted on me because
I can not appreciate them. I don't mind them as
I find them nearly flavorless, but better give
them to the folks who can detect the flavor.

Other genetic flavor detection stuff:

People with enough Hungarian blood to have the
gene find paprika to be hot. Most other folks
think it is pretty red and it has a slight mild
pleasant flavor but is not hot.

After eating asparagus some people can smell the
tang when they ****, other can't.

In junior high school chemistry class I recall
a test with a strip of some reagent. Some found
it bitter, some could not taste it.

Arri London

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> <RJ> wrote:
> >
> > I'm still trying to acclimate to the Tex-Mex eating style.
> >
> > But avocados have me puzzled.
> > A spoonful of avocado tastes like
> > a spoonful of lard.....
> > Try as I may, there's no discernable flavor.
> >
> > Is this one of these totally neutral items
> > that only supplies color and texture
> > to the other ingredients ?

> Nope. For th eones who can detect the specific
> chemical(s) involved they have a distinctive
> flavor.
>
> > Or am I one of the 10% that is missing
> > the "avocado tastebuds" ?

> Definitely genetic. To me they may as well be
> green crayons. Avocados are wasted on me because
> I can not appreciate them. I don't mind them as
> I find them nearly flavorless, but better give
> them to the folks who can detect the flavor.
>
> Other genetic flavor detection stuff:
>
> People with enough Hungarian blood to have the
> gene find paprika to be hot. Most other folks
> think it is pretty red and it has a slight mild
> pleasant flavor but is not hot.

Paprika does come in mild and hot forms. It's not all just mild.

<snip>
Charles Gifford

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> > > The green skinned ones are varieties of Mexican Ancestry. The

> harder
> > > black skinned ones are from Guatamalan stock.

> > <snip>
> >
> > It ain't quite that cut-n-dried, but you are correct. I did not

> address the
> > C.A. avocados because I was contrasting the original posters use of
> > "Tex-Mex" with Mexican.

> I'm not quite sure of the above attributions, so bite me.
>
> Someone is going to have validate the claim about which color skinned
> avocado originated where with citations... personally I think,
> considering the avocado is known to have originated some 5-6 Thousand
> years BC, with no mention of any color skin whatsoever, the above claim
> is a lotta hooey.
>
> This is the best I can find:
> http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts...do-history.php
>
> I tend to think the original avocado was light-ish green smooth
> skinned, the dark pebbly skinned ie. Hass-ish being a very recent
> example.
>
> Sheldon

I left all the attributions in my post as it is confusing enough as it is.
My contribution to this thread was just to say that I did not say anything
about Central American avocados and explained, very quickly, why. I did not
comment on any other part of the previous poster's statements. In fact, I do
not know much about the avocados history other than the fact that their
ancestor almost certainly came from Central America and Southern Mexico. I
think your thoughts on the subject are correct. Just relying on my memory of
what I've heard over the years, are that the first avocados were not edible
as we now know them. They were small with less flesh and progressing from
hard-proceeding-to-rotten. As mar as I know, all the smooth skinned and
pebbly skinned avocados are modern varieties. In San Diego, the Fuerte was
the most common. Now it is 1. hass, 2. bacon, 3. fuerte and 4. a few other
varieties.

Charlie

Phred

In article et>,
"Charles Gifford" > wrote:
>"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

[ Snipped to avoid further confusion ]
>> I'm not quite sure of the above attributions, so bite me.

No thanks. I doubt that you're edible.

>> Someone is going to have validate the claim about which color skinned
>> avocado originated where with citations... personally I think,
>> considering the avocado is known to have originated some 5-6 Thousand
>> years BC, with no mention of any color skin whatsoever, the above claim
>> is a lotta hooey.
>>
>> This is the best I can find:
>> http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts...do-history.php
>>
>> I tend to think the original avocado was light-ish green smooth
>> skinned, the dark pebbly skinned ie. Hass-ish being a very recent
>> example.

>I left all the attributions in my post as it is confusing enough as it is.
>My contribution to this thread was just to say that I did not say anything
>about Central American avocados and explained, very quickly, why. I did not
>comment on any other part of the previous poster's statements. In fact, I do
>not know much about the avocados history other than the fact that their
>ancestor almost certainly came from Central America and Southern Mexico. I
>think your thoughts on the subject are correct. Just relying on my memory of
>what I've heard over the years, are that the first avocados were not edible
>as we now know them. They were small with less flesh and progressing from
>hard-proceeding-to-rotten. As mar as I know, all the smooth skinned and
>pebbly skinned avocados are modern varieties. In San Diego, the Fuerte was
>the most common. Now it is 1. hass, 2. bacon, 3. fuerte and 4. a few other
>varieties.

I have raised several trees from seed (I know, I know... I'm old
enough to know better %-) and can confirm that there's bugger all
chance of getting half decent fruit from seedling trees of even
*modern* varieties . Charlie's "hard-proceeding-to-rotten" describes
their quality quite well. ;-)

Probably more detail than you ever wanted to know about avos at
University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
<http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG213>
See especially their Table 2 for characteristics of the three
ecological races (Mexican, Guatemalan, and West Indian).

And if that's not enough, try:
<http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/avocado_ars.html>
which is "reprinted" from the late Julia Morton's book "Fruits of Warm
Climates" -- a bible of its genre.
There you'll find lots of stuff on origin and subsequent distribution,
descriptions of varieties, marketing and storage ... Oh, there's even
a section on Food Uses. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

avocado Richard K. General Cooking 9 16-11-2012 12:08 PM
What is the best way to eat Avocado's Mocking Malicious Mike General Cooking 0 18-07-2009 09:30 PM
Avocado Oil Julie Bove General Cooking 17 02-03-2008 07:09 PM
Avocado oil Bubba General Cooking 1 27-05-2005 02:50 PM
avocado oil elaine General Cooking 8 25-03-2005 07:37 AM