Josh Zerin

Default Eggs - Good for how long?

I'm in my third year of college, and I finally got my own apartment.
Goodie. So now I've gotta start making my own food.

A couple of weeks ago, I got back from a 3-week break to find a few
eggs left in my fridge. The sell-by date was last December, but I
figured what the hey. I hard-boiled a couple of them, and they tasted
just fine.

I'm still here typing this, so I'm assuming there was nothing wrong with them.

How long are eggs good for?

aem

Josh Zerin wrote:
[snip]
> How long are eggs good for?

Here's link to a website with more info than you wanted:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/eggs.htm

Generally, fresh eggs should be good for at least 3 weeks in the
'fridge, and probably longer than that.

-aem

Damsel in dis Dress

Josh Zerin >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>How long are eggs good for?

I use them until they float in a container of water. I will probably die
because of this practice.

Carol

Puester

Josh Zerin wrote:
> I'm in my third year of college, and I finally got my own apartment.
> Goodie. So now I've gotta start making my own food.
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I got back from a 3-week break to find a few eggs
> left in my fridge. The sell-by date was last December, but I figured
> what the hey. I hard-boiled a couple of them, and they tasted just fine.
>
> I'm still here typing this, so I'm assuming there was nothing wrong with
> them.
>
> How long are eggs good for?

When they go bad, you'll smell the difference.

gloria p
L, not -L

On 20-Feb-2005, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Josh Zerin >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >How long are eggs good for?

> I use them until they float in a container of water. I will probably die
> because of this practice.

The method you use is the one recommended by food scientist Shirley Corriher
in her wonderful book "Cookwise".

"If it floats, look out..."

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Neil

Eggs don't go bad quickly, unless they have punctures (however small)
in them, although the viscosity of the whites may deteriorate, such
that they will not rate at as high a grade. It is probably even
unnecessary to refrigerate them.

Three weeks . . . four weeks . . . two months . . . ?? . . . I've never
thrown an egg out due to age.

Neil

Sheldon

Josh Zerin wrote:
> I'm in my third year of college, and I finally got my own apartment.

> Goodie. So now I've gotta start making my own food.
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I got back from a 3-week break to find a few
> eggs left in my fridge. The sell-by date was last December, but I
> figured what the hey. I hard-boiled a couple of them, and they

tasted
> just fine.
>
> I'm still here typing this, so I'm assuming there was nothing wrong

with them.

> How long are eggs good for?

That would depend mostly on how eggs are stored.

To learn more about eggs than you ever wanted to know go he
http://www.aeb.org

Sheldon

Kenneth

On 20 Feb 2005 16:15:50 -0800, "Neil" >
wrote:

>Eggs don't go bad quickly, unless they have punctures (however small)
>in them, although the viscosity of the whites may deteriorate, such
>that they will not rate at as high a grade. It is probably even
>unnecessary to refrigerate them.
>
>Three weeks . . . four weeks . . . two months . . . ?? . . . I've never
>thrown an egg out due to age.
>
>Neil

Howdy,

Well, it all depends on what we mean by "good."

They may still be reasonably healthful, but they certainly
won't have the delicious taste of fresh eggs.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Damsel in dis Dress

"L, not -L" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>On 20-Feb-2005, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> I use them until they float in a container of water. I will probably die
>> because of this practice.

>The method you use is the one recommended by food scientist Shirley Corriher
>in her wonderful book "Cookwise".
>
> "If it floats, look out..."

Cool! My life *isn't* in danger! LOL!

Thanks,
Carol

Maverick

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Tony P." > wrote in message
> . ..
>> In article .com>,
>> says...
>> > Eggs don't go bad quickly, unless they have punctures (however small)
>> > in them, although the viscosity of the whites may deteriorate, such
>> > that they will not rate at as high a grade. It is probably even
>> > unnecessary to refrigerate them.
>> >
>> > Three weeks . . . four weeks . . . two months . . . ?? . . . I've never
>> > thrown an egg out due to age.

>> Eggs around here are usually used before the expiration date.
>>
>> What really killed me is when the SO brought home fresh eggs and placed
>> them on the top shelf of the fridge.
>>
>> The problem is that top shelf gets VERY cold, as in freezing point cold.
>> The damned eggs were all cracked and very frozen.

> The top shelf in a side-by-side refrigerator is the warmest area in the
> refrigerator. I try to avoid putting meat and eggs there, and instead
> keep
> them near the bottom where it is the coldest.

I'm glad someone brought this question up.

I have the opportunity to buy fresh eggs where I'm currently living. I've
kind of refrained from it because a) I don't know how long they are good
for; b) I didn't know if there was a way to test for freshness; c) Would
have to come up with some way to track how long I've had each batch of eggs
(ok, minor deal) and d) I've always purchased eggs in the cardboard crates
from the store. Wait, there's an e) as well; We don't use all that many
eggs. We go through periods where we'll use several dozen eggs one week and
then not use a single egg for a month or so.

Any thoughts on this people?

TIA,
Bret

SequoiaGiganti

> How long are eggs good for?

Until they are brownish and/or smell nasty.

Kenneth

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:17:24 -0700, "Maverick"
> wrote:

>Any thoughts on this people?
>
>TIA,
>Bret

Hi Bret,

Let me get this right...

You avoid buying eggs that you know to be fresh because you
don't know how long they will last.

But, instead, you buy eggs that you know to be older when
you purchase?

Help me out... Please.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Siobhan Perricone

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:17:24 -0700, "Maverick"
> wrote:

>I'm glad someone brought this question up.
>
>I have the opportunity to buy fresh eggs where I'm currently living. I've
>kind of refrained from it because a) I don't know how long they are good
>for; b) I didn't know if there was a way to test for freshness; c) Would
>have to come up with some way to track how long I've had each batch of eggs
>(ok, minor deal) and d) I've always purchased eggs in the cardboard crates
>from the store. Wait, there's an e) as well; We don't use all that many
>eggs. We go through periods where we'll use several dozen eggs one week and
>then not use a single egg for a month or so.

If you're getting actual fresh eggs from a decent, clean flock, and you
store them at the proper temperature (which is below 40 degrees) they
should last for weeks and weeks and weeks. I buy eggs from Costco in large
batches, and I'm still using them several weeks past the "use by" date.

You don't need a fancy system for keeping track of dates here. You fill a
deep bowl with cold water and gently place an egg on the bottom of the
bowl (don't drop it in, actually place it on the bottom of the bowl) if the
egg floats to the top don't use it. If it turns up on end but touches the
bottom you can still use it. I usually don't use them if no part of the
shell touches the bottom of the bowl.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

aem

Maverick wrote:

> I have the opportunity to buy fresh eggs where I'm currently living.

I've
> kind of refrained from it because a) I don't know how long they are

good
> for; b) I didn't know if there was a way to test for freshness; c)

Would
> have to come up with some way to track how long I've had each batch

of eggs
> (ok, minor deal) and d) I've always purchased eggs in the cardboard

crates
> from the store. Wait, there's an e) as well; We don't use all that

many
> eggs. We go through periods where we'll use several dozen eggs one

week and
> then not use a single egg for a month or so.

I'm going to assume you mean you can get eggs from a non-commericial
grower. If that means the chickens are allowed to roam around the
ground and eat more than commercial chicken feed, you should definitely
go for it. These could be the best eggs you've ever had: bright,
vividly colored yolks that stand high, richer tasting. If the farmer
has a mix of chicken varieties the eggshells could be white, brown, or
green, and the sizes could vary from smaller than you've seen in a
store to quite large. Fun.

a: now you know they keep well.
b: ask the farmer how fresh they are; tall-standing yolks mean really
fresh; placed in cold water, the freshest eggs will lie down, older
ones will want to let one end rise.
c: or, hard cook the oldest ones
d: save the carton the next time you buy eggs from the store
e: you may eat more when you find out how big the difference is.

-aem

Kenneth

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:02 GMT, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:

>If you're getting actual fresh eggs from a decent, clean flock, and you
>store them at the proper temperature (which is below 40 degrees) they
>should last for weeks and weeks and weeks.

....but they will certainly not taste like fresh eggs.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:13:39 -0500, Tony P.
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:02 GMT, Siobhan Perricone
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >If you're getting actual fresh eggs from a decent, clean flock, and you
>> >store them at the proper temperature (which is below 40 degrees) they
>> >should last for weeks and weeks and weeks.

>> ...but they will certainly not taste like fresh eggs.
>>
>> All the best,

>It's funny but I don't notice any difference between the store bought
>eggs and the fresh ones that were brought home.
>
>Probably because we New Englanders pretty much insist that our eggs be
>brown, well more tan than brown. But still, white eggs look funny to us.
>
>Most of those brown eggs come from local vendors. Matter of fact, I have
>one carton of eggs in the fridge right now that was packed in Foster, RI
>about a week ago. Can't get too much better than that.

Howdy,

I, too, am from New England (NH), and would love to know:

How did you determine when your eggs were packed?

Also, other than the influence of advertising, what do you
take to be the advantage of brown eggs?

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

Maverick

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:17:24 -0700, "Maverick"
> > wrote:
>
>>Any thoughts on this people?
>>
>>TIA,
>>Bret

> Hi Bret,
>
> Let me get this right...
>
> You avoid buying eggs that you know to be fresh because you
> don't know how long they will last.
>
> But, instead, you buy eggs that you know to be older when
> you purchase?
>
> Help me out... Please.
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Kenneth

*shamefully* It's pretty simple really. The store bought eggs come in the
cardboard crates with expiration/best by/use by/whatever-the-hell-it-is
date. Once the eggs go past that date, they're in the trash. Of course,
they are way past that date before I get around to checking them if we
haven't been using eggs a whole lot.

Maverick

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:17:24 -0700, "Maverick"
> > wrote:
>
>>I'm glad someone brought this question up.
>>
>>I have the opportunity to buy fresh eggs where I'm currently living. I've
>>kind of refrained from it because a) I don't know how long they are good
>>for; b) I didn't know if there was a way to test for freshness; c) Would
>>have to come up with some way to track how long I've had each batch of
>>eggs
>>(ok, minor deal) and d) I've always purchased eggs in the cardboard crates
>>from the store. Wait, there's an e) as well; We don't use all that many
>>eggs. We go through periods where we'll use several dozen eggs one week
>>and
>>then not use a single egg for a month or so.

> If you're getting actual fresh eggs from a decent, clean flock, and you
> store them at the proper temperature (which is below 40 degrees) they
> should last for weeks and weeks and weeks. I buy eggs from Costco in large
> batches, and I'm still using them several weeks past the "use by" date.
>
> You don't need a fancy system for keeping track of dates here. You fill a
> deep bowl with cold water and gently place an egg on the bottom of the
> bowl (don't drop it in, actually place it on the bottom of the bowl) if
> the
> egg floats to the top don't use it. If it turns up on end but touches the
> bottom you can still use it. I usually don't use them if no part of the
> shell touches the bottom of the bowl.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone

Thanks so much! This will let me have fresh eggs all the time now.

Bret
<now needs to save some egg cartons...>

Maverick

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Maverick wrote:
>>
>> I have the opportunity to buy fresh eggs where I'm currently living.

> I've
>> kind of refrained from it because a) I don't know how long they are

> good
>> for; b) I didn't know if there was a way to test for freshness; c)

> Would
>> have to come up with some way to track how long I've had each batch

> of eggs
>> (ok, minor deal) and d) I've always purchased eggs in the cardboard

> crates
>> from the store. Wait, there's an e) as well; We don't use all that

> many
>> eggs. We go through periods where we'll use several dozen eggs one

> week and
>> then not use a single egg for a month or so.
>>

> I'm going to assume you mean you can get eggs from a non-commericial
> grower. If that means the chickens are allowed to roam around the
> ground and eat more than commercial chicken feed, you should definitely
> go for it. These could be the best eggs you've ever had: bright,
> vividly colored yolks that stand high, richer tasting. If the farmer
> has a mix of chicken varieties the eggshells could be white, brown, or
> green, and the sizes could vary from smaller than you've seen in a
> store to quite large. Fun.
>
> a: now you know they keep well.
> b: ask the farmer how fresh they are; tall-standing yolks mean really
> fresh; placed in cold water, the freshest eggs will lie down, older
> ones will want to let one end rise.
> c: or, hard cook the oldest ones
> d: save the carton the next time you buy eggs from the store
> e: you may eat more when you find out how big the difference is.
>
> -aem

Thanks, aem! These are non-commercial people. Hell, four of them are
co-workers. They sell a lot of eggs though to other co-workers but being a
big city born and raised guy I have no idea what the "shelf-life" is for an
egg so the date on the carton was my guide. Now that I have a way to test
them, I can act accordingly and not just throw them away.

Thanks again All!

Bret

Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:21:29 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:02 GMT, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:
>
>>If you're getting actual fresh eggs from a decent, clean flock, and you
>>store them at the proper temperature (which is below 40 degrees) they
>>should last for weeks and weeks and weeks.

>...but they will certainly not taste like fresh eggs.

They are fine for cooking or baking. The OP wasn't asking "can I keep eggs
that taste fresh indefinitely". Just "how long can I store eggs".

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:03:37 -0700, "Maverick"
> wrote:

>*shamefully* It's pretty simple really. The store bought eggs come in the
>cardboard crates with expiration/best by/use by/whatever-the-hell-it-is
>date. Once the eggs go past that date, they're in the trash. Of course,
>they are way past that date before I get around to checking them if we
>haven't been using eggs a whole lot.

You must waste a lot of eggs that way. I use the water test, it works fine
and I don't have to give in to the supermarket paranoia and waste eggs.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
The Cook

"Maverick" > wrote:

>I'm glad someone brought this question up.
>
>I have the opportunity to buy fresh eggs where I'm currently living. I've
>kind of refrained from it because a) I don't know how long they are good
>for; b) I didn't know if there was a way to test for freshness; c) Would
>have to come up with some way to track how long I've had each batch of eggs
>(ok, minor deal) and d) I've always purchased eggs in the cardboard crates
>from the store. Wait, there's an e) as well; We don't use all that many
>eggs. We go through periods where we'll use several dozen eggs one week and
>then not use a single egg for a month or so.

I just looked at a couple of egg cartons sitting here. There is a 3
digit code which is the day of the year that the eggs were packed.
Then there is the use by date. On one box the code is 003 (January 3)
and the use by is Feb.. 16. The is about 6 weeks. All the cartons
had about the same "good" period. The code is on all egg cartons.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Tony P.

In article >,
says...
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:13:39 -0500, Tony P.
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> says...
> >> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:02 GMT, Siobhan Perricone

> >> ...but they will certainly not taste like fresh eggs.
> >>
> >> All the best,

> >It's funny but I don't notice any difference between the store bought
> >eggs and the fresh ones that were brought home.
> >
> >Probably because we New Englanders pretty much insist that our eggs be
> >brown, well more tan than brown. But still, white eggs look funny to us.
> >
> >Most of those brown eggs come from local vendors. Matter of fact, I have
> >one carton of eggs in the fridge right now that was packed in Foster, RI
> >about a week ago. Can't get too much better than that.

> Howdy,
>
> I, too, am from New England (NH), and would love to know:
>
> How did you determine when your eggs were packed?

There's a Julian date code on the package that says when it got packed.

> Also, other than the influence of advertising, what do you
> take to be the advantage of brown eggs?

Probably the campaign several years ago that the egg producers of New
England put out.

"Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh."

New England is a relatively compact area so it's not inconceivable that
the browns will be fresher. Yes, they do produce the white variety too
but brown is a New England thing.

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 22 Feb 2005 06:31:22a, Tony P. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> says...
>> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:13:39 -0500, Tony P.
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >In article >,
>> says...

>> >It's funny but I don't notice any difference between the store bought
>> >eggs and the fresh ones that were brought home.
>> >
>> >Probably because we New Englanders pretty much insist that our eggs be
>> >brown, well more tan than brown. But still, white eggs look funny to
>> >us.
>> >
>> >Most of those brown eggs come from local vendors. Matter of fact, I
>> >have one carton of eggs in the fridge right now that was packed in
>> >Foster, RI about a week ago. Can't get too much better than that.

>> Howdy,
>>
>> I, too, am from New England (NH), and would love to know:
>>
>> How did you determine when your eggs were packed?

> There's a Julian date code on the package that says when it got packed.
>
>> Also, other than the influence of advertising, what do you take to be
>> the advantage of brown eggs?

> Probably the campaign several years ago that the egg producers of New
> England put out.
>
> "Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh."
>
> New England is a relatively compact area so it's not inconceivable that
> the browns will be fresher. Yes, they do produce the white variety too
> but brown is a New England thing.

Funny, how brown eggs show up in Arizona, too.

Wayne
TheAlligator

Siobhan Perricone > wrote:
>You don't need a fancy system for keeping track of dates here. You fill a
>deep bowl with cold water and gently place an egg on the bottom of the
>bowl (don't drop it in, actually place it on the bottom of the bowl) if the
>egg floats to the top don't use it. If it turns up on end but touches the
>bottom you can still use it. I usually don't use them if no part of the
>shell touches the bottom of the bowl.

Any idea of the mechanism involved? As in - why DOES this work.

Nancy Young

"TheAlligator" > wrote in message
> Siobhan Perricone > wrote:
>>You don't need a fancy system for keeping track of dates here. You fill a
>>deep bowl with cold water and gently place an egg on the bottom of the
>>bowl (don't drop it in, actually place it on the bottom of the bowl) if
>>the
>>egg floats to the top don't use it. If it turns up on end but touches the
>>bottom you can still use it. I usually don't use them if no part of the
>>shell touches the bottom of the bowl.
>>

> Any idea of the mechanism involved? As in - why DOES this work.

The older it gets, the egg insides shrink, and there is more air inside the
shell, hence the floating. I'm sure someone can provide a more technical
answer, but that is the general idea.

nancy

TheAlligator

"Nancy Young" > wrote:
>The older it gets, the egg insides shrink, and there is more air inside the
>shell, hence the floating. I'm sure someone can provide a more technical
>answer, but that is the general idea.
>
>nancy

Thanks, Nancy - makes sense.

Bob Myers

"Tony P." > wrote in message
. ..

> Probably the campaign several years ago that the egg producers of New
> England put out.
>
> "Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh."

OK, but that's based on an incorrect assumption - there is zero
reason to believe that just because an egg is brown, it's "local."
Brown chickens tend to produce brown eggs, just as white chickens
tend to produce white eggs, and they do not care at all where they
are when they do that. As Alton Brown is fond of pointing out, ALL
of the inherent difference between a brown egg and a white egg can
be removed by subjecting the former to a light sandpapering. (This
is not to say that a given brown egg won't taste different from a given
white egg, but the difference is NOT correlated to the color.)

Bob M.

aem

Bob Myers wrote:
> [snip] ...ALL
> of the inherent difference between a brown egg and a white egg can
> be removed by subjecting the former to a light sandpapering. (This
> is not to say that a given brown egg won't taste different from a

given
> white egg, but the difference is NOT correlated to the color.)

Exactly right. I always buy white ones because it's easier to see the
little pieces of eggshell I've dropped in the whatever. But I had a
lady in the supermarket (shopper, not clerk) tell me once that brown
eggs were "more natural" than white ones. I gave her a very big smile
and walked away. Her basket was probably full of "organic" this and
that, too. Or low-fat bacon. Or low-carb bread.

-aem

Tony P.

In article >, says...
> On Tue 22 Feb 2005 06:31:22a, Tony P. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,

says...
> >> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:13:39 -0500, Tony P.

> >> says...

> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> I, too, am from New England (NH), and would love to know:
> >>
> >> How did you determine when your eggs were packed?

> > There's a Julian date code on the package that says when it got packed.
> >
> >> Also, other than the influence of advertising, what do you take to be
> >> the advantage of brown eggs?

> > Probably the campaign several years ago that the egg producers of New
> > England put out.
> >
> > "Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh."
> >
> > New England is a relatively compact area so it's not inconceivable that
> > the browns will be fresher. Yes, they do produce the white variety too
> > but brown is a New England thing.

> Funny, how brown eggs show up in Arizona, too.

There are two possibilities. The first is that New England produces an
excess of eggs and ships them west. More likely though is that you have
the types of birds that lay brown eggs in that area.

I know the Rhode Island Red is one of the birds that lays brown eggs. So
what're the chances that the farm in Foster, RI has Rhode Island Red
chickens? I'd say they're pretty damned good.
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 22 Feb 2005 12:58:59p, Tony P. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, says...
>> On Tue 22 Feb 2005 06:31:22a, Tony P. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > In article >,

says...

>> > There's a Julian date code on the package that says when it got
>> > packed.

>> > Probably the campaign several years ago that the egg producers of New
>> > England put out.
>> >
>> > "Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh."
>> >
>> > New England is a relatively compact area so it's not inconceivable
>> > that the browns will be fresher. Yes, they do produce the white
>> > variety too but brown is a New England thing.

>> Funny, how brown eggs show up in Arizona, too.

> There are two possibilities. The first is that New England produces an
> excess of eggs and ships them west. More likely though is that you have
> the types of birds that lay brown eggs in that area.

Yes, they are locally produced. There are numerous chicken farms and egg
production facilities in the area. I have purchased direct a few times and
they had brown eggs. I think I recall seeing Rhode Island reds.

> I know the Rhode Island Red is one of the birds that lays brown eggs. So
> what're the chances that the farm in Foster, RI has Rhode Island Red
> chickens? I'd say they're pretty damned good.

Kenneth

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:56:27 GMT, "Emil"
> wrote:

>I have always been told the "tighter" the white holds to the yolk the
>fresher the egg.

Howdy,

That's correct...

I suspect that many of the folks who tell us they can't tell
the difference in the taste after eggs "age" for weeks have
simply never tasted a fresh egg.

The difference is remarkable, and a joy for those lucky
enough to have access to eggs that are truly fresh.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Karen AKA Kajikit

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:02:18 GMT, Josh Zerin >
wrote:

>I'm in my third year of college, and I finally got my own apartment.
>Goodie. So now I've gotta start making my own food.
>
>A couple of weeks ago, I got back from a 3-week break to find a few
>eggs left in my fridge. The sell-by date was last December, but I
>figured what the hey. I hard-boiled a couple of them, and they tasted
>just fine.
>
>I'm still here typing this, so I'm assuming there was nothing wrong with them.
>
>How long are eggs good for?

Eggs are good until they stink... when they go off, believe me you'll
know it! Even hardboiled - once you peeled it it would stink to high
heaven and possibly be green instead of white.

We haven't had a lot of trouble with eggs going off... but when we
were using freerange eggs from the healthfood shop quite a few of them
were dodgy. If in doubt, break each egg individually into a bowl
before you use them - that way you can toss out anything fishy without
ruining a whole recipe or meal. I learnt THAT the hard way!
~Karen aka Kajikit
Lover of fine chocolate, fun crafts, and furry felines
http://www.kajikitscorner.com
*remove 'nospam' to reply
Maverick

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:03:37 -0700, "Maverick"
> > wrote:
>
>>*shamefully* It's pretty simple really. The store bought eggs come in the
>>cardboard crates with expiration/best by/use by/whatever-the-hell-it-is
>>date. Once the eggs go past that date, they're in the trash. Of course,
>>they are way past that date before I get around to checking them if we
>>haven't been using eggs a whole lot.

> You must waste a lot of eggs that way. I use the water test, it works fine
> and I don't have to give in to the supermarket paranoia and waste eggs.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone

Yeah, I sure have wasted a lot of eggs. I wish I had a book of these little
food "tips". I wouldn't waste so much food. I gave up buying milk for
everyday use. Nobody in the house drinks it. Now, if I'm going to make
something that needs milk, I buy the smallest size I can that will give me
double what the recipe calls for in case I do something stupid like drop the
only cup of milk I had *inno* and then had to run to the store real quick
like...

Dan Goodman

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:05:35 -0700, Maverick wrote:

> "Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:03:37 -0700, "Maverick"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>*shamefully* It's pretty simple really. The store bought eggs come in the
>>>cardboard crates with expiration/best by/use by/whatever-the-hell-it-is
>>>date. Once the eggs go past that date, they're in the trash. Of course,
>>>they are way past that date before I get around to checking them if we
>>>haven't been using eggs a whole lot.

>> You must waste a lot of eggs that way. I use the water test, it works fine
>> and I don't have to give in to the supermarket paranoia and waste eggs.
>>

> Yeah, I sure have wasted a lot of eggs. I wish I had a book of these little
> food "tips". I wouldn't waste so much food. I gave up buying milk for
> everyday use. Nobody in the house drinks it. Now, if I'm going to make
> something that needs milk, I buy the smallest size I can that will give me
> double what the recipe calls for in case I do something stupid like drop the
> only cup of milk I had *inno* and then had to run to the store real quick
> like...

I use dried milk.

--
Dan Goodman