Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How long are condiment packets good for?

The thread about soy sauce and mustard sauce condiment packets got me
to thinking how long they are good for? I would guess Mayonnaise
packets aren't good for very long. Mustard and Ketchup packets
probably last longer due to the acidic nature of them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael O'Connor wrote:

> The thread about soy sauce and mustard sauce condiment packets got me
> to thinking how long they are good for? I would guess Mayonnaise
> packets aren't good for very long. Mustard and Ketchup packets
> probably last longer due to the acidic nature of them.

I saw 100 packetx boxes of mayo and ketchup in a nearby store and I remember
checking the "best before" date on the ketchup box: it read some month in
2011.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> Michael O'Connor wrote:
>
>> The thread about soy sauce and mustard sauce condiment packets got me
>> to thinking how long they are good for? I would guess Mayonnaise
>> packets aren't good for very long. Mustard and Ketchup packets
>> probably last longer due to the acidic nature of them.

> I saw 100 packetx boxes of mayo and ketchup in a nearby store and I remember
> checking the "best before" date on the ketchup box: it read some month in
> 2011.

Interesting subject. We get to go to a LOT of clearing sales catering
and other auctions

I just looked at some use by dates from salad dressing sachets
bought from a defunct airline caterers use by date says 11/2000

We use them all the time and so far no nothing untoward.

If any look a bit suss (such as swollen etc) they go to the worm
farms. Not sure how the worms feel about the acidity but they are still
fat and healthy as well.
We had to turf (oz speak for throw out ) a few pallets of Juices
however, Tomato and Orange the Tomato juices seemed to be the ones that
went off first .

However a pallet of juice that is over a 100 KGs of product one had to
put his hand up at $5.00 a PALLET . Providing you took 20 pallets

Getting back to use by dates lots of stuff we buy on average
is still good for a minimum of up to two years after the expiry date
so far .

The only other dud lot we got was again tomato based
small 75 gram tins of tomato paste

about 60% of the small tins looked dented or swollen so they got opened
and fed to the pigs and worms .

No no longer take the risk on Pastas and flours nearly always full of
weevils and crawly things but again protein for the worms and some
stock and the chooks .

Think common sense and an early taste test of most products
except dairy etc one is safe for at least 6 months after expiry date
some times decades

Example teas and Instant coffee powder
One Large tin of Maxwell house that got opened the other day (and fresh
I reckon it is garbage ) is dated 11/1994 It looked and tasted no
different to the current blend .

Opened a can of Butter the other day that had been rattling about in
the sponson of the old a Land rover from an Army Ration pack left overs
that was probably there since 1975 dated 1952 It went into the
Jaffle iron and every one survived . Although I did not partake of of
that particular gastronomic feast myself (Baked beans tinned ham &
cheese Jaffles )
Although wonder dog was it appears greatfull for a hot meal at 0200 in
the cold windy rainy morning

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 3:04*pm, "Michael O'Connor" > wrote:
> The thread about soy sauce and mustard sauce condiment packets got me
> to thinking how long they are good for? *I would guess Mayonnaise
> packets aren't good for very long. *Mustard and Ketchup packets
> probably last longer due to the acidic nature of them.

This is what I found out when I asked the Heinz Group:

Our coding information for these items is stamped on the outer cases
that are shipped to restaurants. Shelf life is based on the
production code. For best quality, we recommend that the following
items be used by the end of the shelf life shown:

Product Shelf Life

Single Serve Ketchup 7 months
Single Serve Chopped Onions 7 months
Single Serve Mayonnaise 8 months
Single Serve Relish 9 months
Single Serve Taco Sauce 9 months
Single Serve Tartar Sauce 8 months
Single Serve Yellow Mustard 9 months

Without code information, we are unable to determine the age of the
packet. If the packet appears puffy, bulging that could be an
indication of an old packet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lealasdad wrote on Sat, 22 Aug 2009 07:53:29 -0700 (PDT):

> On Jul 12, 3:04 pm, "Michael O'Connor" > wrote:
>> The thread about soy sauce and mustard sauce condiment
>> packets got me to thinking how long they are good for? I
>> would guess Mayonnaise packets aren't good for very long.
>> Mustard and Ketchup packets probably last longer due to the
>> acidic nature of them.

> This is what I found out when I asked the Heinz Group:

> Our coding information for these items is stamped on the outer
> cases that are shipped to restaurants. Shelf life is based on
> the production code. For best quality, we recommend that the
> following items be used by the end of the shelf life shown:

> Product Shelf Life

> Single Serve Ketchup 7 months
> Single Serve Chopped Onions 7 months
> Single Serve Mayonnaise 8 months
> Single Serve Relish 9 months
> Single Serve Taco Sauce 9 months
> Single Serve Tartar Sauce 8 months
> Single Serve Yellow Mustard 9 months

Those lifetimes look very reliable.Actually, about the only packets that
I keep around the car are salt and pepper.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> lealasdad wrote on Sat, 22 Aug 2009 07:53:29 -0700 (PDT):
>
>> On Jul 12, 3:04 pm, "Michael O'Connor" > wrote:
>>> The thread about soy sauce and mustard sauce condiment
>>> packets got me to thinking how long they are good for? I
>>> would guess Mayonnaise packets aren't good for very long.
>>> Mustard and Ketchup packets probably last longer due to the
>>> acidic nature of them.

>> This is what I found out when I asked the Heinz Group:

>> Our coding information for these items is stamped on the outer
>> cases that are shipped to restaurants. Shelf life is based on
>> the production code. For best quality, we recommend that the
>> following items be used by the end of the shelf life shown:

>> Product Shelf Life

>> Single Serve Ketchup 7 months
>> Single Serve Chopped Onions 7 months
>> Single Serve Mayonnaise 8 months
>> Single Serve Relish 9 months
>> Single Serve Taco Sauce 9 months
>> Single Serve Tartar Sauce 8 months
>> Single Serve Yellow Mustard 9 months

> Those lifetimes look very reliable.Actually, about the only packets that I
> keep around the car are salt and pepper.

The salt is good forever. But preground pepper is like 20% ground cockroach
parts and rodent hair.