Ken

Default arborio rice in rice pudding?

I saw some arborio rice and decided to buy it on a whim. I was
thinking that it was the right rice to use in rice pudding, short grain
and creamy. But when I just went on-line for recipes, most called for
just plain rice, which would be long grain, or they specifically said
long grain white rice. Was I wrong in thinking that arborio was the
traditional for rice pudding? What would happen if I substituted the
arborio for long grain white rice in a pudding recipe?

The easiest solution is to just find a recipe that calls for arborio
and follow that. It's just that I was surprised because I thought most
of the recipes would call for arborio. One thing I did notice is that
the long grain puddings are baked and not made on the stove.

Any traditionalists out there want to clue me in?

TIA,

Ken

Dave Smith

Ken wrote:

> I saw some arborio rice and decided to buy it on a whim. I was
> thinking that it was the right rice to use in rice pudding, short grain
> and creamy. But when I just went on-line for recipes, most called for
> just plain rice, which would be long grain, or they specifically said
> long grain white rice. Was I wrong in thinking that arborio was the
> traditional for rice pudding? What would happen if I substituted the
> arborio for long grain white rice in a pudding recipe?
>
> The easiest solution is to just find a recipe that calls for arborio
> and follow that. It's just that I was surprised because I thought most
> of the recipes would call for arborio. One thing I did notice is that
> the long grain puddings are baked and not made on the stove.
>
> Any traditionalists out there want to clue me in?

Arborio rice is my preference for rice pudding. You have to boil the rice
in a bit of water for 5-10 minutes then add scalded milk and the sugar and
simmer it for about 40 minutes until the rice is tender, then temper the
eggs and add to the milk and rice. Add raisins if you want them in it.
Then you have to stir constantly for about 15 minutes over low heat until
it starts to thicken. The result is a wonderful, creamy rice pudding. It is
a lot more labour intensive than a baked rice pudding but well worth the
effort.

Ken

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Your reply is pretty much along the lines of
what I was thinking. I'm guessing the baked version will be more like
a sweet, rice quiche, and the stove top method will be much more like
rice pudding.

Thanks again,

Ken

Goomba38

Ken wrote:
> I saw some arborio rice and decided to buy it on a whim. I was
> thinking that it was the right rice to use in rice pudding, short grain
> and creamy. But when I just went on-line for recipes, most called for
> just plain rice, which would be long grain, or they specifically said
> long grain white rice. Was I wrong in thinking that arborio was the
> traditional for rice pudding? What would happen if I substituted the
> arborio for long grain white rice in a pudding recipe?
>
> The easiest solution is to just find a recipe that calls for arborio
> and follow that. It's just that I was surprised because I thought most
> of the recipes would call for arborio. One thing I did notice is that
> the long grain puddings are baked and not made on the stove.

It works great. Here is one recipe I enjoyed very
much:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._25491,00.html
and another that just sounds good too:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._27073,00.html

Siobhan Perricone

On 16 Feb 2005 20:08:35 -0800, "Ken" > wrote:

>I saw some arborio rice and decided to buy it on a whim. I was
>thinking that it was the right rice to use in rice pudding, short grain
>and creamy. But when I just went on-line for recipes, most called for
>just plain rice, which would be long grain, or they specifically said
>long grain white rice. Was I wrong in thinking that arborio was the
>traditional for rice pudding? What would happen if I substituted the
>arborio for long grain white rice in a pudding recipe?

Alton Brown did an episode on rice and talked about the different uses for
different types. I think his rice pudding recipe uses something like
arborio but I could be wrong. Search for it at foodtv.com.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

Dave Smith

Ken wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Your reply is pretty much along the lines of
> what I was thinking. I'm guessing the baked version will be more like
> a sweet, rice quiche, and the stove top method will be much more like
> rice pudding.

There was a thread about this just a week or two ago. Some people like the
baked rice pudding and some prefer the stove top. Having cooked and eaten
both I will say that the baked method is infinitely easier but the stove
top is infinitely better. But there is a disclaimer. In order to make it
really good you really do have to spend the time to cook it over low heat
and stir it constantly. It cannot be rushed.

Ken

wrote:

> >I saw some arborio rice and decided to buy it on a whim. I was
> >thinking that it was the right rice to use in rice pudding, short

grain
> >and creamy. But when I just went on-line for recipes, most called

for
> >just plain rice, which would be long grain, or they specifically

said
> >long grain white rice. Was I wrong in thinking that arborio was the
> >traditional for rice pudding? What would happen if I substituted

the
> >arborio for long grain white rice in a pudding recipe?

> Alton Brown did an episode on rice and talked about the different

uses for
> different types. I think his rice pudding recipe uses something like
> arborio but I could be wrong. Search for it at foodtv.com.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone
> Humans wrote the bible,
> God wrote the rocks
> -- Word of God by Kathy Mar

Dave, Goomba, and Siobhan,

Thanks for the replies. I did a search on this group for rice pudding
and there was two different threads in the last few months. I had no
idea it was such a popular topic. I just saw the rice and thought I'd
make some pudding. I have a three day weekend coming up and I could
spend a little time making a wonderful old-fashioned dessert.

Thanks,

Ken

Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

>I saw some arborio rice and decided to buy it on a whim. I was
>thinking that it was the right rice to use in rice pudding, short grain
>and creamy. But when I just went on-line for recipes, most called for
>just plain rice, which would be long grain, or they specifically said
>long grain white rice. Was I wrong in thinking that arborio was the
>traditional for rice pudding? What would happen if I substituted the
>arborio for long grain white rice in a pudding recipe?
>
>The easiest solution is to just find a recipe that calls for arborio
>and follow that. It's just that I was surprised because I thought most
>of the recipes would call for arborio. One thing I did notice is that
>the long grain puddings are baked and not made on the stove.
>
>Any traditionalists out there want to clue me in?

Not exactly what you asked, but if I wanted to make a dessert with
arborio, I would treat it like making risotto, but use dessert-type
fluids instead of stock. Fruit juices, maple syrup, purpose-made
syrups, cream.

I don't know what a traditional rice pudding has in it, but risotto
made with arborio is certainly pleasingly creamy, even with no cream
in it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again
zxcvbob

Ken wrote:
> I saw some arborio rice and decided to buy it on a whim. I was
> thinking that it was the right rice to use in rice pudding, short grain
> and creamy. But when I just went on-line for recipes, most called for
> just plain rice, which would be long grain, or they specifically said
> long grain white rice. Was I wrong in thinking that arborio was the
> traditional for rice pudding? What would happen if I substituted the
> arborio for long grain white rice in a pudding recipe?
>
> The easiest solution is to just find a recipe that calls for arborio
> and follow that. It's just that I was surprised because I thought most
> of the recipes would call for arborio. One thing I did notice is that
> the long grain puddings are baked and not made on the stove.
>
> Any traditionalists out there want to clue me in?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ken

I made some very good rice pudding last week using oriental "sweet
rice". It was by far the best I've ever made. Here's what I did:

1/2 cup sweet rice, uncooked
4 cups lowfat milk, divided
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs

Cook the rice in 2 cups of the milk, covered, over *extremely* low heat
until it makes a gooey mess. Stir occasionally so it doesn't burn. Add
the remaining 2 cups of milk, sugar, butter, and salt. Cook over low
heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Allow to cool to
about 120°. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Continue beating at low
speed with electric mixer over low heat until it almost reaches a
simmer. Pour into bowls and refigerate, or grate nutmeg over the top
and serve hot.

* * *

I think it can be simplified quite a bit next time by soaking the rice
in the milk overnight (in the refrigerator.) Then combine everything
except the eggs and vanilla and cook over low heat until the rice is
soft and the milk is thickened. Temper the eggs, add the vanilla, and
mix back into the hot mixture. Beat at low speed over low heat until
it's done.

Best regards,
Bob
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 08:34:42p, zxcvbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Ken wrote:
>> I saw some arborio rice and decided to buy it on a whim. I was
>> thinking that it was the right rice to use in rice pudding, short grain
>> and creamy. But when I just went on-line for recipes, most called for
>> just plain rice, which would be long grain, or they specifically said
>> long grain white rice. Was I wrong in thinking that arborio was the
>> traditional for rice pudding? What would happen if I substituted the
>> arborio for long grain white rice in a pudding recipe?
>>
>> The easiest solution is to just find a recipe that calls for arborio
>> and follow that. It's just that I was surprised because I thought most
>> of the recipes would call for arborio. One thing I did notice is that
>> the long grain puddings are baked and not made on the stove.
>>
>> Any traditionalists out there want to clue me in?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Ken
>>

> I made some very good rice pudding last week using oriental "sweet
> rice". It was by far the best I've ever made. Here's what I did:
>
> 1/2 cup sweet rice, uncooked
> 4 cups lowfat milk, divided
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
> 1/8 tsp salt
> 2 tsp vanilla extract
> 3 eggs
>
> Cook the rice in 2 cups of the milk, covered, over *extremely* low heat
> until it makes a gooey mess. Stir occasionally so it doesn't burn. Add
> the remaining 2 cups of milk, sugar, butter, and salt. Cook over low
> heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Allow to cool to
> about 120°. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Continue beating at low
> speed with electric mixer over low heat until it almost reaches a
> simmer. Pour into bowls and refigerate, or grate nutmeg over the top
> and serve hot.
>
> * * *
>
> I think it can be simplified quite a bit next time by soaking the rice
> in the milk overnight (in the refrigerator.) Then combine everything
> except the eggs and vanilla and cook over low heat until the rice is
> soft and the milk is thickened. Temper the eggs, add the vanilla, and
> mix back into the hot mixture. Beat at low speed over low heat until
> it's done.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I hate to say this, Bob, but this sounds like rice "slop"! What could
possibly be left of the rice after all that cooking and beating except goo.

Sorry, but I like "rice" in my rice pudding, regardless of what kind of
rice is used.

Cheers,
Wayne

zxcvbob

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 17 Feb 2005 08:34:42p, zxcvbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>>Ken wrote:
>>
>>>I saw some arborio rice and decided to buy it on a whim. I was
>>>thinking that it was the right rice to use in rice pudding, short grain
>>>and creamy. But when I just went on-line for recipes, most called for
>>>just plain rice, which would be long grain, or they specifically said
>>>long grain white rice. Was I wrong in thinking that arborio was the
>>>traditional for rice pudding? What would happen if I substituted the
>>>arborio for long grain white rice in a pudding recipe?
>>>
>>>The easiest solution is to just find a recipe that calls for arborio
>>>and follow that. It's just that I was surprised because I thought most
>>>of the recipes would call for arborio. One thing I did notice is that
>>>the long grain puddings are baked and not made on the stove.
>>>
>>>Any traditionalists out there want to clue me in?
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>
>>>Ken
>>>

>>I made some very good rice pudding last week using oriental "sweet
>>rice". It was by far the best I've ever made. Here's what I did:
>>
>>1/2 cup sweet rice, uncooked
>>4 cups lowfat milk, divided
>>3/4 cup sugar
>>1 Tbsp butter or margarine
>>1/8 tsp salt
>>2 tsp vanilla extract
>>3 eggs
>>
>>Cook the rice in 2 cups of the milk, covered, over *extremely* low heat
>>until it makes a gooey mess. Stir occasionally so it doesn't burn. Add
>>the remaining 2 cups of milk, sugar, butter, and salt. Cook over low
>>heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Allow to cool to
>>about 120°. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Continue beating at low
>>speed with electric mixer over low heat until it almost reaches a
>>simmer. Pour into bowls and refigerate, or grate nutmeg over the top
>>and serve hot.
>>
>>* * *
>>
>>I think it can be simplified quite a bit next time by soaking the rice
>>in the milk overnight (in the refrigerator.) Then combine everything
>>except the eggs and vanilla and cook over low heat until the rice is
>>soft and the milk is thickened. Temper the eggs, add the vanilla, and
>>mix back into the hot mixture. Beat at low speed over low heat until
>>it's done.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob
>>

> I hate to say this, Bob, but this sounds like rice "slop"! What could
> possibly be left of the rice after all that cooking and beating except goo.
>
> Sorry, but I like "rice" in my rice pudding, regardless of what kind of
> rice is used.
>
> Cheers,
> Wayne

The rice was cooked to pieces, although it was definitely still
noticable in the pudding as little "bits". Even after all that cooking,
the bits of rice were still a bit hard in the middle until it spent the
night in the fridge. The actually pudding part was wonderful.

I think by soaking the rice in the milk next time, I won't have to
overcook the rice to get it done all the way thru. That's the problem I
always have with short-grain rice -- I can't get it done in the middle
without overcooking it. Soaking should fix that, plus it will simplify
the recipe. That's my theory anyway; I will test it this weekend.

Best regards,
Bob
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 08:48:52p, zxcvbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>>I made some very good rice pudding last week using oriental "sweet
>>>rice". It was by far the best I've ever made. Here's what I did:
>>>
>>>1/2 cup sweet rice, uncooked
>>>4 cups lowfat milk, divided
>>>3/4 cup sugar
>>>1 Tbsp butter or margarine
>>>1/8 tsp salt
>>>2 tsp vanilla extract
>>>3 eggs
>>>
>>>Cook the rice in 2 cups of the milk, covered, over *extremely* low heat
>>>until it makes a gooey mess. Stir occasionally so it doesn't burn.
>>>Add the remaining 2 cups of milk, sugar, butter, and salt. Cook over
>>>low heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Allow to cool
>>>to about 120°. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Continue beating at low
>>>speed with electric mixer over low heat until it almost reaches a
>>>simmer. Pour into bowls and refigerate, or grate nutmeg over the top
>>>and serve hot.
>>>
>>>* * *
>>>
>>>I think it can be simplified quite a bit next time by soaking the rice
>>>in the milk overnight (in the refrigerator.) Then combine everything
>>>except the eggs and vanilla and cook over low heat until the rice is
>>>soft and the milk is thickened. Temper the eggs, add the vanilla, and
>>>mix back into the hot mixture. Beat at low speed over low heat until
>>>it's done.
>>>
>>>Best regards,
>>>Bob
>>>

>> I hate to say this, Bob, but this sounds like rice "slop"! What could
>> possibly be left of the rice after all that cooking and beating except
>> goo.
>>
>> Sorry, but I like "rice" in my rice pudding, regardless of what kind of
>> rice is used.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wayne

> The rice was cooked to pieces, although it was definitely still
> noticable in the pudding as little "bits". Even after all that cooking,
> the bits of rice were still a bit hard in the middle until it spent the
> night in the fridge. The actually pudding part was wonderful.
>
> I think by soaking the rice in the milk next time, I won't have to
> overcook the rice to get it done all the way thru. That's the problem I
> always have with short-grain rice -- I can't get it done in the middle
> without overcooking it. Soaking should fix that, plus it will simplify
> the recipe. That's my theory anyway; I will test it this weekend.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I don't seem to have that problem with short grain rice, although perhaps I
like more of a bite to it. Soaking overnight should make a huge difference
and, hopefully, prevent the need to cook it to bits.

Please post your results, and good luck!

Cheers,
Wayne

Miche

In article .com>,
"Ken" > wrote:

> I saw some arborio rice and decided to buy it on a whim. I was
> thinking that it was the right rice to use in rice pudding, short grain
> and creamy. But when I just went on-line for recipes, most called for
> just plain rice, which would be long grain, or they specifically said
> long grain white rice. Was I wrong in thinking that arborio was the
> traditional for rice pudding? What would happen if I substituted the
> arborio for long grain white rice in a pudding recipe?
>
> The easiest solution is to just find a recipe that calls for arborio
> and follow that. It's just that I was surprised because I thought most
> of the recipes would call for arborio. One thing I did notice is that
> the long grain puddings are baked and not made on the stove.
>
> Any traditionalists out there want to clue me in?

I always use arborio rice for rice pudding. It comes out divinely
creamy and still al dente.

Per serving:
2 Tablespoons arborio rice
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon butter
1 cup milk
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla

Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the rice and stir it around
for a minute or so until it's opaque. Heat the milk till just at a
simmer. Pour over the rice. Add the sugar. Stir over medium-high heat
until the rice is cooked and the milk is absorbed. The rice should be
al dente and the pudding should be thick and creamy. Remove from the
heat, stir in the vanilla and serve.

Enjoy!

Miche

--
WWMVD?
Ken

Miche,

Thanks, that's about as simple as it can get.

Somebody gave me a link to a recipe with raisins soaked in port,
although I'd use sherry. I see a brilliant brainstorm coming: Your
recipe with what we used to call "drunk raisins" added.

I like your WWMVD. (Isn't the 'net great? I did a search and found
the meaning.) I had a friend who would wear a WWJD? t-shirt. And
right below the WWJD was a blurry and very cracked painting that looked
like it was right out of an ancient fresco. It was of a bearded man
who fit right into the theme. Except on closer examination it was
Jerry Garcia. I've half-heartedly searched for one of those special
WWJD t-shirts ever since and never found one. The demise of Jerry
Garcia may have meant the demise of that particular t-shirt.

Anyway, keep on WWMVD-ing.

Ken

sf

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:35:08 +1300, Miche
> wrote:

> I always use arborio rice for rice pudding. It comes out divinely
> creamy and still al dente.
>
> Per serving:
> 2 Tablespoons arborio rice

only 2 Tablespoons of rice to
> 1 cup milk

???

Sounds more like tapioca to me.

sf

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 19 Feb 2005 11:18:04p, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:35:08 +1300, Miche
> > wrote:
>
>> I always use arborio rice for rice pudding. It comes out divinely
>> creamy and still al dente.
>>
>> Per serving:
>> 2 Tablespoons arborio rice

> only 2 Tablespoons of rice to
>> 1 cup milk

> ???
>
> Sounds more like tapioca to me.
>
> sf

Colonial baked rice puddings contain only 1/4-1/3 cup of uncooked rice per
quart of milk. Rice, milk, and sugar were combined and baked in a very
slow oven for several hours, stirred occasionally, until rice was done and
consistency was cream. No eggs.

Most modern rice puddings are actually rice custards with a high ratio of
cooked rice suspended in a baked custard.

Wayne

Miche

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:35:08 +1300, Miche
> > wrote:
>
> > I always use arborio rice for rice pudding. It comes out divinely
> > creamy and still al dente.
> >
> > Per serving:
> > 2 Tablespoons arborio rice

> only 2 Tablespoons of rice to
> > 1 cup milk

> ???
>
> Sounds more like tapioca to me.

It's basically an adaptation of a traditional NZ baked rice pudding. It
works -- try it and see.

Miche

--
WWMVD?
Miche

In article .com>,
"Ken" > wrote:

> Miche,
>
> Thanks, that's about as simple as it can get.

Yep. That's part of the appeal -- it's basically a sweet risotto.

> Somebody gave me a link to a recipe with raisins soaked in port,
> although I'd use sherry. I see a brilliant brainstorm coming: Your
> recipe with what we used to call "drunk raisins" added.

Oh yum!

> I like your WWMVD. (Isn't the 'net great? I did a search and found
> the meaning.) I had a friend who would wear a WWJD? t-shirt. And
> right below the WWJD was a blurry and very cracked painting that looked
> like it was right out of an ancient fresco. It was of a bearded man
> who fit right into the theme. Except on closer examination it was
> Jerry Garcia. I've half-heartedly searched for one of those special
> WWJD t-shirts ever since and never found one. The demise of Jerry
> Garcia may have meant the demise of that particular t-shirt.

Oh, that's _wonderful_!

> Anyway, keep on WWMVD-ing.

Hah. As if I could stop now.

Miche

--
WWMVD?
Dave Smith

sf wrote:

> only 2 Tablespoons of rice to
> > 1 cup milk

> ???
>
> Sounds more like tapioca to me.

It sounds about right to me. My recipe calls for only 1/3 cup arborio and
four cups of milk.