Dimitri

Default High blood pressure

"Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message
> Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:

>> Actually, quiting smoking is not likely to have any effect on reducing
>> the blood pressure.

> Strange.... I thought smoking caused blood vessels to constrict which
> would
> in turn raise blood pressure.
>
> Can you cite a source for quitting smoking NOT having any effect on
> reducing
> blood pressure?

He's an asshole.
Dimitri

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...315/24742.html

Stop smoking. Not only will this help keep your blood pressure in line,
you'll also diminish your risk of cancer and cardiovascular diseases.

NIH

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/factors/smoke.htm

Does Smoking Tobacco Cause High Blood Pressure?

No. However, it can temporarily raise blood pressure, and it DOES increase
the risk of heart and blood vessel diseases.
Smoking and Heart Health
Smoking injures blood vessel walls and speeds up the process of hardening of
the arteries. So even though it does not cause high blood pressure, smoking
is bad for anyone, especially those with high blood pressure. If you smoke,
quit. If you don't smoke, don't start. Once you quit, your risk of having a
heart attack is reduced after the first year. So you have a lot to gain by
quitting.

One mo

http://familydoctor.org/092.xml

How do tobacco products affect blood pressure?
The nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products causes your blood
vessels to constrict and your heart to beat faster, which temporarily raises
your blood pressure. If you quit smoking or using other tobacco products,
you can significantly lower your risk of heart disease and heart attack, as
well as help lower your blood pressure.

Steve Calvin

Dimitri wrote:

> "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message
>
>>Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:

>>>Actually, quiting smoking is not likely to have any effect on reducing
>>>the blood pressure.

>>Strange.... I thought smoking caused blood vessels to constrict which
>>would
>>in turn raise blood pressure.
>>
>>Can you cite a source for quitting smoking NOT having any effect on
>>reducing
>>blood pressure?

> He's an asshole.
> Dimitri

<snip>

My Dr. has yelled at me for years to quit. Now, he had nothing to do
with it but on February 3 of this year I just decided that enough was
enough and quit cold turkey after smoking for 41 years. No patches,
gums, patches, nothin'. Believe it or not, it wasn't really all that
bad! I guess that I was just ready.

--
Steve

Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...
Dimitri

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:

>>>Strange.... I thought smoking caused blood vessels to constrict which
>>>would
>>>in turn raise blood pressure.
>>>
>>>Can you cite a source for quitting smoking NOT having any effect on
>>>reducing
>>>blood pressure?

>> He's an asshole.
>> Dimitri
>>

> <snip>
>
> My Dr. has yelled at me for years to quit. Now, he had nothing to do with
> it but on February 3 of this year I just decided that enough was enough
> and quit cold turkey after smoking for 41 years. No patches, gums,
> patches, nothin'. Believe it or not, it wasn't really all that bad! I
> guess that I was just ready.
>
> --
> Steve

If you think you ever need reinforcement got the silkquit meter at
www.silkquit.org

Don't let the other half see it - They will want to spend the money you've
saved.

As you can see I quit too No patches, no nothing for me it was nasty for
about 2 weeks.

Dimitri

Three years, nine months, one week, two days, 23 hours, 26 minutes and 52
seconds. 48404 cigarettes not smoked, saving $9,069.49. Life saved: 24
weeks, 1 hour, 40 minutes.

Steve Calvin

Dimitri wrote:

> If you think you ever need reinforcement got the silkquit meter at=20
> www.silkquit.org
>=20
> Don't let the other half see it - They will want to spend the money you=

've=20
> saved.
>=20
> As you can see I quit too No patches, no nothing for me it was nasty f=

or=20
> about 2 weeks.
>=20
> Dimitri
>=20

Thanks for the link Dimitri but I don't think that I need it.=20
Appearently, I was just plain "ready".

Congratulations on you're quitting too! It really was no problem for=20
me. Dunno why and I'm not questioning it! ;-)

As for the $ savings, I just tonight treated myself to a system=20
upgrade. ;-) Should be here in a week or so. I'm gonna use my A31 as=20
a linux test platform and then migrate the new one over as well. This=20
WinDoZe crud sux!

Pentium=AE M processor 1.70GHz
IBM a/b/g WiFi
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Bluetooth wireless9 (who cares?)
15.0" UXGA-IPS (1600x1200) Display
128MB ATI=AE Mobility=99 FireGL=99 T2 Graphics
1GB DDR SDRAM
400Mhz Front Side Bus
60GB Ultra HS HDD (7200 rpm)
UltrabayTM Enhanced Multi-Burner
Lithium battery - up to 5.5 hour battery life

--=20
Steve

Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...
Dave W.

In article > ,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

<snip>

> > My Dr. has yelled at me for years to quit. Now, he had nothing to do with
> > it but on February 3 of this year I just decided that enough was enough
> > and quit cold turkey after smoking for 41 years. No patches, gums,
> > patches, nothin'. Believe it or not, it wasn't really all that bad! I
> > guess that I was just ready.
> >
> > --
> > Steve

> If you think you ever need reinforcement got the silkquit meter at
> www.silkquit.org
>
> Don't let the other half see it - They will want to spend the money you've
> saved.
>
> As you can see I quit too No patches, no nothing for me it was nasty for
> about 2 weeks.
>
> Dimitri
>

> Three years, nine months, one week, two days, 23 hours, 26 minutes and 52
> seconds. 48404 cigarettes not smoked, saving $9,069.49. Life saved: 24
> weeks, 1 hour, 40 minutes.

I don't understand long term smokers who simply quit without using any
crutches. I used pills (zyban), patches, and frequent visits to the
smoking support group. My blood pressure went through the roof within a
couple of months of my quit date. That certainly wasn't because I
stopped smoking ... I think is was because I started hanging around RFC
too much! ;^)

Dave W.

Quit Date: 2/14/99
Quit Time: 6:29 AM
Time since last smoke: 6Y 0M 0W 3D 0H 49Mns

--
Living in the Ozarks
For email, edu will do.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
becomes a revolutionary act. - George Orwell, (1903-1950)

Cindy Hamilton

Dave W. wrote:

> I don't understand long term smokers who simply quit without using

any
> crutches. I used pills (zyban), patches, and frequent visits to the
> smoking support group. My blood pressure went through the roof within

> couple of months of my quit date. That certainly wasn't because I
> stopped smoking ... I think is was because I started hanging around

RFC
> too much! ;^)

My mother smoked for over 40 years. She tried to quit any number of
times, using various means, including hypnosis.

In her late 50s, she started having chest pains. The doctor handed her
some nitroglycerin tablets. At that point, her previous cigarette was
her last. She simply never lit up again. She never talked about it
being
difficult, but then again she had strong motivation.

Cindy Hamilton

Dimitri

"Dave W." > wrote in message news:dwesten-

> I don't understand long term smokers who simply quit without using any
> crutches. I used pills (zyban), patches, and frequent visits to the
> smoking support group. My blood pressure went through the roof within a
> couple of months of my quit date. That certainly wasn't because I
> stopped smoking ... I think is was because I started hanging around RFC
> too much! ;^)
>
> Dave W.

IMHO

I think there is/are 2 motivations that are absolutely necessary.

First I believe you have to be ready.

Second and for me most important I think there is an absolute need to
understand how the smoking will negatively effect "YOUR PERSONAL" health

With those 2 elements the physical withdrawal becomes at the very least
bearable. Of course the habitual nature is also an important element bit at
the very least that portion of the addiction is not physically painful.

Dimitri

Dave W.

In article .com>,
"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote:

> Dave W. wrote:
>
> > I don't understand long term smokers who simply quit without using

> any
> > crutches. I used pills (zyban), patches, and frequent visits to the
> > smoking support group. My blood pressure went through the roof within

> > couple of months of my quit date. That certainly wasn't because I
> > stopped smoking ... I think is was because I started hanging around

> RFC
> > too much! ;^)

> My mother smoked for over 40 years. She tried to quit any number of
> times, using various means, including hypnosis.
>
> In her late 50s, she started having chest pains. The doctor handed her
> some nitroglycerin tablets. At that point, her previous cigarette was
> her last. She simply never lit up again. She never talked about it
> being
> difficult, but then again she had strong motivation.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Yeah, the most important ingredient for a successful quit is attitude. I
carry nitro pills and I've got that zipper down my chest ... I guess I
was about three years off the smokes before that heart stuff happened.
What is interesting is the folks who have heart surgery and then can't
wait to get out of the hospital so they can have a smoke! Really!

Regards,
Dave

--
Living in the Ozarks
For email, edu will do.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
becomes a revolutionary act. - George Orwell, (1903-1950)
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:33:09 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>IMHO
>
>I think there is/are 2 motivations that are absolutely necessary.
>
>First I believe you have to be ready.

I read someplace that it takes most smokers who want to quit multiple
times before they really quit for good, but you're absolutely right
about having to be ready. No one can talk a smoker into quitting any
more than one can talk a fat person into losing weight.

>Second and for me most important I think there is an absolute need to
>understand how the smoking will negatively effect "YOUR PERSONAL" health

Oddly enough, the main motivator for me 13 years ago was social: it
was getting to the point that I couldn't smoke anywhere in a social
setting without exiling myself with the pariahs on the
porch/deck/driveway/backyard/parking lot. And there were long plane
rides, car rides, elevator rides...okay, maybe I was okay in elevators
:-) But I got fed UP being in withdrawal a significant portion of the
day. Tried to quit 3 times before I really did it. I've never been a
heroin addict, but can't imagine heroin withdrawal to be worse.

>With those 2 elements the physical withdrawal becomes at the very least
>bearable. Of course the habitual nature is also an important element bit at
>the very least that portion of the addiction is not physically painful.

Absolutely, Dimitri. I'd talk on the phone, light a cigarette; drink
coffee, light a cigarette; turn on the car ignition, light a
cigarette; finish a meal, light a cigarette. It was this sort of habit
that was hardest to break. And I know a lot of people say, after
quitting for a significant number of years, that they still crave
cigarettes, but I have absolutely no desire to smoke again. Ever.
OTOH, I *am* addicted to Big Red gum...

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines