Default stovetop wok adapter?

In the article linked below (good read, too) they mention a new adapter
for western gas ranges which allows a wok to rest closer to the flames.
i assume it is a substitute pot grate which is shaped to support a
round bottomed wok. does anyone know anything about this product, and
if it can be purchased online?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/09/dining/09wok.html?

zuuum

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> In the article linked below (good read, too) they mention a new adapter
> for western gas ranges which allows a wok to rest closer to the flames.
> i assume it is a substitute pot grate which is shaped to support a
> round bottomed wok. does anyone know anything about this product, and
> if it can be purchased online?
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/09/dining/09wok.html?

The link requires a user login. Unless it is referring to something newm it
could be referring to a wok ring (flared circular ring with vent-holes).
They used to be much more common than they seem to be lately. Not only do
they make the round bottom stable, they also reduce heat dissipation. I
believe there was something about flipping them to reverse the flare if you
use an electric burner.

Michael Odom

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 04:37:59 GMT, "zuuum" > wrote:

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> In the article linked below (good read, too) they mention a new adapter
>> for western gas ranges which allows a wok to rest closer to the flames.
>> i assume it is a substitute pot grate which is shaped to support a
>> round bottomed wok. does anyone know anything about this product, and
>> if it can be purchased online?
>>

>> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/09/dining/09wok.html?
>>

>The link requires a user login. Unless it is referring to something newm it
>could be referring to a wok ring (flared circular ring with vent-holes).
>They used to be much more common than they seem to be lately. Not only do
>they make the round bottom stable, they also reduce heat dissipation. I
>believe there was something about flipping them to reverse the flare if you
>use an electric burner.

As noted by Bubbabob, it's not a ring, but some other adapter
mentioned in the article. (I'd recommend registering with the Times,
by the way -- it's free.)

My new-ish gas range came with instructions not to use a standard
round-bottomed wok on it, but an Americanized flat-bottomed one. The
Times article appears to agree: "The flat-bottom wok is totally
unknown in China" she said. "But it's absolutely the right choice
here."

modom

Only superficial people don't judge by appearances.
-- Oscar Wilde

For electric range users I found a jenn air wok burner on ebay. It
fits most if not all electric ranges and it is great. High
concentrated heat. uses standard wok.

aem

Michael Odom wrote:
> My new-ish gas range came with instructions not to use a standard
> round-bottomed wok on it, but an Americanized flat-bottomed one. The
> Times article appears to agree: "The flat-bottom wok is totally
> unknown in China" she said. "But it's absolutely the right choice
> here."
>
> modom

As I understand it, the point of the round bottom is to facilitate
moving the food around, as well as to create temperature zones -- the
higher up the sides of the wok, the lower the temp. The only drawback
to a round bottom is that it might tip if not supported well, as on a
ring. Presumably, that's why the "expert" says the flat bottom is okay
here.

I disagree. In decades of cooking with round bottomed woks on all
manner of gas and electric stoves, I have never used a ring except when
making soup. The rest of the time, the wok has been placed as directly
on the heat source as possible without any interference, in order to
maximize heat. The secret to not spilling food out of a tipping wok?
Hold onto it with one hand. BFD.

-aem

kalanamak

Michael Odom wrote:

> My new-ish gas range came with instructions not to use a standard
> round-bottomed wok on it, but an Americanized flat-bottomed one. The
> Times article appears to agree: "The flat-bottom wok is totally
> unknown in China" she said. "But it's absolutely the right choice
> here."

I bought one in SF's Chinatown, circa 1998, and it was called a Peking
Pan. The store was run by Chinese, for Chinese, albeit for Chinese
living in SF's Chinatown.
blacksalt
kalanamak

Bubbabob wrote:

> > In the article linked below (good read, too) they mention a new adapter
> > for western gas ranges which allows a wok to rest closer to the flames.
> > i assume it is a substitute pot grate which is shaped to support a
> > round bottomed wok.

I think the Viking has one you can get for extra. One of the upper end
stovetops I priced circa 1998 did.
I don't use it. I crank the big burner on my Viking up very high, get
everything ready, get the veggies going in at room temp, make sure any
water or broth going in is HOT, and off I go. I don't use any ring, and
never have had a significant spillage.
blacksalt

OT I was looking for an adapter for my battery drill and found this Metspitzer General Cooking 4 25-07-2011 06:48 PM
Itouchless AC adapter for 18 and 22 gallon Trash Can [email protected] Wine 0 22-05-2009 03:02 AM
Stovetop Smoker Louis Cohen Cooking Equipment 6 23-02-2008 05:04 AM
Freezer to stovetop A Preserving 8 02-08-2005 04:43 PM
Phone adapter Joe Yudelson Winemaking 0 09-12-2004 05:59 AM