SequoiaGiganti

Default Brussel Sprouts

Hi again, how are you all doing?

In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack pepper.
Roast until lightly browned.

Wayne
C. James Strutz

"SequoiaGiganti" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

Clean and slice in half. Steam with a little beer in a covered pan. Uncover
and let the brussel sprouts brown in the pan, stirring to brown evenly.
Remove from heat, toss with carraway seeds, salt, and a little lemon juice.

Rick & Cyndi

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>>
>> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
>> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
>> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
>> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
>> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
>> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
>> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

> Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack pepper.
> Roast until lightly browned.
>
> Wayne

=================

Wwaaayyyynnnneeeee.... you *forgot* the garlic!!! Rosemary and garlic are
AMAZING on brussel sprouts! Another way we like them are with onion, fresh
lemon juice with a little bit of lemon zest and fresh dill weed!

Cyndi

Beaker

On 10 Feb 2005 04:28:31 -0800, SequoiaGiganti quoth:

> I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

Why saute? And in butter?? The less preparation they get, the crisper
they'll be and the better they'll taste. Heh, just steam a little and
sprinkle on some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and/or pepper. Steam some
broccoli or carrot spears as well. Anything more than that and you
have to wait too long to eat them.

bkr

Steve Calvin

Beaker wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2005 04:28:31 -0800, SequoiaGiganti quoth:
>
>> I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
>>salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
>>I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

> Why saute? And in butter?? The less preparation they get, the crisper
> they'll be and the better they'll taste. Heh, just steam a little and
> sprinkle on some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and/or pepper. Steam some
> broccoli or carrot spears as well. Anything more than that and you
> have to wait too long to eat them.
>
> bkr

Yup, the vinegar is a nice change. You can have white, balsamic, cider,
malt, etc .... whatever ya like.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Dimitri

"SequoiaGiganti" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

Cut in half and steam till crisp

(blanch and shock the whole bag.)

Reheat or sauté in:

Burnt butter
or

Butter/olive oil and lemon juice

They are also nice cut into quarters and tossed in a salad dressing and
served on top, of a salad.

Dimitri

Dimitri

jmcquown

SequoiaGiganti wrote:
> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big
> bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

Not exactly "low fat" but they are great when cut in half, very lightly
steamed, placed in a small baking dish. Pour a medium white sauce over the
top, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and bake about 30-35 minutes. You
could also sprinkle over some grated Parmesan with the bread crumbs.

Jill

Lena B Katz

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, jmcquown wrote:

> SequoiaGiganti wrote:
>> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>>
>> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
>> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
>> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big
>> bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
>> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
>> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
>> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

> Not exactly "low fat" but they are great when cut in half, very lightly
> steamed, placed in a small baking dish. Pour a medium white sauce over the
> top, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and bake about 30-35 minutes. You
> could also sprinkle over some grated Parmesan with the bread crumbs.

Eating brussel sprouts is not healthy. (35 calories in 100g? come on!) It
is merely a device to fool your
body into believing that you've been fed (an appetite suppressant, in
other words).

Lena
Pierre

If you have one of those ceramic garlic/potato/chestnut roasters, put
the brussels sprouts in it; spray on some olive oil, S/P, and sprinkle
on some of your favorite herb. (or 2nd favorite herb.)

Cover and roast until done to the way you like your veggies.

Pierre

Marcella Peek

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> SequoiaGiganti wrote:
> > Hi again, how are you all doing?
> >
> > In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> > to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> > sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big
> > bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> > handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> > salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> > I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

> Not exactly "low fat" but they are great when cut in half, very lightly
> steamed, placed in a small baking dish. Pour a medium white sauce over the
> top, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and bake about 30-35 minutes. You
> could also sprinkle over some grated Parmesan with the bread crumbs.
>
> Jill

Try roasting them. Cut in half. Toss with a little olive oil and salt
and roast at 450 until edges are golden.

marcella
Michael Odom

wrote:

>Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
>In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
>to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
>sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
>of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
>handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
>salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
>I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

I toss trimmed B sprouts with olive oil and Dijon mustard and roast
them in a 375F oven till they're somewhat browned on the outside and
lightly done on the inside.

You can also grill them if you have a grill topper.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

>Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
>In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
>to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
>sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
>of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
>handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
>salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
>I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

Pan roasted with smoked bacon. Bad Bad Bad YUMMY

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opinionated old geezer

Brutal dictators are routinely reelected by 90+%
margins. Only in a truly advanced democracy can
one win an election by a negative 600,000 votes.
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Feb 2005 06:39:54a, Rick & Cyndi wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>>>
>>> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
>>> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
>>> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big
>>> bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
>>> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
>>> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
>>> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

>> Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack
>> pepper. Roast until lightly browned.
>>
>> Wayne

> =================
>
> Wwaaayyyynnnneeeee.... you *forgot* the garlic!!! Rosemary and garlic
> are AMAZING on brussel sprouts! Another way we like them are with
> onion, fresh lemon juice with a little bit of lemon zest and fresh dill
> weed!
>
> Cyndi

Yep, I did forget, but I always use it.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Feb 2005 07:32:39a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in
>>> rec.food.cooking:

>>> Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack
>>> pepper. Roast until lightly browned.
>>>
>>> Wayne

>> =================
>>
>> Wwaaayyyynnnneeeee.... you *forgot* the garlic!!! Rosemary and garlic
>> are AMAZING on brussel sprouts! Another way we like them are with
>> onion, fresh lemon juice with a little bit of lemon zest and fresh
>> dill weed!
>>
>> Cyndi

> Thanks Cyndi. I was just about to give Wayne hell over the garlic
>
> Michael

LOL, can't live without garlic!

Wayne

Sylvia Rocha

staples not stables

jmcquown

Sylvia Rocha wrote:
> staples not stables

Great. We have yet another poster who not only can't quote part of what
she's replying to so anyone has a reference, she doesn't even reply to the
original poster who typed "stables". So, typo/spelling police as well.
(HUGE SIGH)

Jill

C. James Strutz

"Lena B Katz" > wrote in message

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> SequoiaGiganti wrote:
>>> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>>>
>>> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
>>> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
>>> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big
>>> bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
>>> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
>>> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
>>> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

>> Not exactly "low fat" but they are great when cut in half, very lightly
>> steamed, placed in a small baking dish. Pour a medium white sauce over
>> the
>> top, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and bake about 30-35 minutes.
>> You
>> could also sprinkle over some grated Parmesan with the bread crumbs.

> Eating brussel sprouts is not healthy. (35 calories in 100g? come on!) It
> is merely a device to fool your body into believing that you've been fed
> (an appetite suppressant, in other words).

Eating brussel sprouts IS healthy. They're high in indoles (the same cancer
fighting compount found in other cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower and
broccoli) and vitamin C. They are also good sources of potassium, folate,
vitamin K, and beta-carotine. One cup of cooked brussel sprouts contains: 61
calories (31% of the calories come from protein), 0.8g total fat (0.4g
saturated fat), 4.1 g fiber, 4 g protein, 14 carbs, and 0 cholesterol.

Kswck

"SequoiaGiganti" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vegetables: Brussels Sprouts Braised With Vinegar & Dill

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables

3 pounds Brussel Sprouts
1/4 cup chopped freseh dill
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
fresh ground black peper

Trim sprouts. In a large pot of boiling water, cook sprouts about 8 minutes
or until barely tender.
Drain, refresh under cold running water and drain agin.

In well-greased 13x9 inch casserole, combine sprouts, dill, vinegar and salt
& pepper to taste; mix well.

Bake, covered in 350deg oven for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes
more.

Kswck

"SequoiaGiganti" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vegetables: Brussels Sprouts And Onions With Dill

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables

1 1/2 tblsp oil
6 small white onions, about 1 inch in diameter --
peeled & quartered
12 Brussels sprouts, trimmed -- quartered lengthwise
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon minced fresh dill & 2 sprigs for garnish

In a heavy 10 inch skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but
not smoking and saute onions and Brussel sprouts, stirring until onions
begin to turn golden, about 1 1/2 minutes.

Add water, sugar and salt & pepper to taste and cook, covered, over
moderately low heat until veggies are just tender, about 3 minutes. If any
liquid remains, boil mixture until nearly all liquid is evaporated and stir
in minced dill.

Garnish with dill sprigs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kswck

"SequoiaGiganti" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vegetables: Brussels Sprouts With Bacon

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

4 slices thick cut bacon
1 medium onion -- sliced in strips
1/2 teaspoon garlic -- minced
1 pound brussels sprouts -- quartered

Cut bacon to 1/4-1/2" strips. Place bacon & minced garlic in fry pan and fry
until bacon is done.

Add onion and saute for a couple of minutes. Add sprouts; cook on med/low
heat, add some butter cut into patties and stir to coat.

Cover and cook about 5 minutes, stir. Repeat until sprouts are just done.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kswck

"SequoiaGiganti" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

The best way to buy Brussels Sprouts is to buy a stalk. They are about 24-30
inches long-assuming the leaves have been trimmed off them and should have
30 or so sprouts on each plant. Twist them to get them off the stalk. You
want to look for smaller sprouts than larger ones, they are sweeter. Then
trim and pull off any yellow leaves.
Some farmers markets sell them already pulled from the stalk.
I posted 3 recipes involving the sprouts, I have others if you want them.
Growing season, at least on Long Island, is late. They are available the
most starting on late October on. They are a winter veggie.
They are relatively versatile in that they can be boiled, braised, pan
fried, steamed, etc.

These may help as well.

http://www.mrs.umn.edu/pyg/tips/vege.../tip_905.shtml

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies...ssprouts1.html

Dave Smith

Kswck wrote:

> The best way to buy Brussels Sprouts is to buy a stalk. They are about 24-30
> inches long-assuming the leaves have been trimmed off them and should have
> 30 or so sprouts on each plant. Twist them to get them off the stalk. You
> want to look for smaller sprouts than larger ones, they are sweeter. Then
> trim and pull off any yellow leaves.

We have been buying the small frozen Brussels sprouts and just boiling them
until they still have a bit of crunch to them. They're not bad, much better than
I expected from a frozen product.

Kswck

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Kswck wrote:
>

>> The best way to buy Brussels Sprouts is to buy a stalk. They are about
>> 24-30
>> inches long-assuming the leaves have been trimmed off them and should
>> have
>> 30 or so sprouts on each plant. Twist them to get them off the stalk. You
>> want to look for smaller sprouts than larger ones, they are sweeter. Then
>> trim and pull off any yellow leaves.

> We have been buying the small frozen Brussels sprouts and just boiling
> them
> until they still have a bit of crunch to them. They're not bad, much
> better than
> I expected from a frozen product.

They do freeze well.

Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:47:27 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Sylvia Rocha wrote:
>> staples not stables

>Great. We have yet another poster who not only can't quote part of what
>she's replying to so anyone has a reference, she doesn't even reply to the
>original poster who typed "stables". So, typo/spelling police as well.
>(HUGE SIGH)

That's okay. She's gonna be surrounded by a spinach-green cloud for hours,
and won't be able to post.

Carol

MareCat

"SequoiaGiganti" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

Parboil 'em and then saute in butter and olive oil seasoned with s/p and a
touch of nutmeg.

Mary

Boron Elgar

wrote:

>Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
>In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
>to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
>sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
>of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
>handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
>salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
>I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

I cut them in half, the slice finely - a chiffonade - and saute them
in butter with pine nuts.

Boron
Cubanpole

Kswck wrote:
> "SequoiaGiganti" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Hi again, how are you all doing?
>>
>>In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
>>to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
>>sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
>>of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
>>handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
>>salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
>>I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.
>>

> *

Simmer in half and half or heavy cream, with a nice pop of freshly
ground nutmeg, until done. A bit of salt on top as needed.
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:08:28 -0500, Boron Elgar >
wrote:

>I cut them in half, the slice finely - a chiffonade - and saute them
>in butter with pine nuts.

Wow. That sounds good! I've never cooked brussels sprouts, but I surely
intend to try this!

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

On 10 Feb 2005 04:28:31 -0800, "SequoiaGiganti" > wrote:

>Hi again, how are you all doing?

Hiya, Michael! I *did* receive your e-mail (you look great with a beard).
I'll try to actually respond to it in the next couple of days.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually going to cook brussels sprouts
because of this thread. See how you lead me astray?

Carol

Rick & Cyndi

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On 10 Feb 2005 04:28:31 -0800, "SequoiaGiganti" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hi again, how are you all doing?

> Hiya, Michael! I *did* receive your e-mail (you look great with a beard).
> I'll try to actually respond to it in the next couple of days.
>
> Never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually going to cook brussels
> sprouts
> because of this thread. See how you lead me astray?
>
> Carol
> ==============

Okay, so what's the deal Dams... everyone sends you pictures of themselves!!

Cyndi

Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:57:40 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi" >
wrote:

>Okay, so what's the deal Dams... everyone sends you pictures of themselves!!

Well, none of them are nude ... what's the problem? LOL!

Carol, secretly forwarding a copy of Archon's picture to Cyndi ... shhhhh!

Norm Soley

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>>
>> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am
>> trying to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as
>> brussel sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want
>> a big bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple
>> of handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and
>> sautee in salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious
>> method, though. I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare
>> them.

> Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack
> pepper. Roast until lightly browned.

Lightly? This is one of the rare occasions in the kitchen where overcooked
is that way to go, let them roast until they are thoroughly browned, they
develop a deeper flavour as the sugars carmelize.
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Feb 2005 08:00:14p, Norm Soley wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>>>
>>> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am
>>> trying to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as
>>> brussel sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want
>>> a big bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple
>>> of handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and
>>> sautee in salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious
>>> method, though. I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare
>>> them.

>> Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack
>> pepper. Roast until lightly browned.

> Lightly? This is one of the rare occasions in the kitchen where
> overcooked is that way to go, let them roast until they are thoroughly
> browned, they develop a deeper flavour as the sugars carmelize.

Well, uh, actually that's how mine usually turn out. I was afraid folks
might think they were burnt.

Wayne

Ranee Mueller

In article .com>,
"SequoiaGiganti" > wrote:

> I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though. I'm looking for
> inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

Cut them in half, or not, pour some olive oil in a baking pan, roll
them around in it, sprinkle with salt and pepper, bake at 375 for about
15-20 minutes.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Ranee Mueller

Oh, also I like them shredded and sauteed with garlic. Add some
lemon juice, and it's perfect.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Marc Wolfe

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> Oh, also I like them shredded and sauteed with garlic. Add some
> lemon juice, and it's perfect.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

IIRC Sheldon posted a nice brussel sprouts slaw recipe about 2 years ago. I
saved it, tried it, liked it. Then the computer I stored it on had a
massive HD failure.

Thanks for reminding me, guess it's time to hit google.

Marc

SequoiaGiganti

Inspired by the thread in general I cut them in half, preboiled them a
bit and burnt them on the pan on olive oil and lemon until caramelized.
Served them with some xtra lemon and olive oil. That was very good, but
next time I might skip the preboiling, as they got too soft.

SequoiaGiganti

Hmm, I think I asked for inspiration on how to prepare and serve them,
not "what's your personal opinion/definition of 'healthy'".