Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default freeze-dried shallots

I am currently living in a place where shallots are difficult to find (and
quite expensive when one can find them). I prefer to use shallots rather
than onions in things like chicken/tuna salad sandwiches, pico de gallo,
guacamole, etc. so I'm wondering if freeze-dried shallots might be a good
substitute for fresh shallots. I don't expect them to have as much flavour
as fresh, but do they at least have some flavour? Or are they a complete
waste of money? Anyone with experience using these things?

rona

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We had
people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the energy to go
back. We call them Canadians."
---Grover Norquist in Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Emil

What no Wal-Mart? Shallots everyday and not to expensive. Little red bag
near potato and onion section.

--
Emil Luca

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message
>I am currently living in a place where shallots are difficult to find (and
> quite expensive when one can find them). I prefer to use shallots rather
> than onions in things like chicken/tuna salad sandwiches, pico de gallo,
> guacamole, etc. so I'm wondering if freeze-dried shallots might be a good
> substitute for fresh shallots. I don't expect them to have as much
> flavour
> as fresh, but do they at least have some flavour? Or are they a complete
> waste of money? Anyone with experience using these things?
>
> rona
>
> --
> ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***
>
> "[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We
> had
> people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the energy to
> go
> back. We call them Canadians."
> ---Grover Norquist in Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Hahabogus

"Emil" > wrote in
om:

> What no Wal-Mart? Shallots everyday and not to expensive. Little
> red bag near potato and onion section.

I don't think there is a Wal-Mart in Japan, where Rona is presently
living. I could be wrong...but even so, being a totally different culture
it (if it was there) wouldn't stock the same stuff as in North America,
because it wouldn't sell.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Sheldon

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:
> I am currently living in a place where shallots are difficult to find

(and
> quite expensive when one can find them). I prefer to use shallots

rather
> than onions in things like chicken/tuna salad sandwiches, pico de

gallo,
> guacamole, etc. so I'm wondering if freeze-dried shallots might be a

good
> substitute for fresh shallots. I don't expect them to have as much

flavour
> as fresh, but do they at least have some flavour? Or are they a

complete
> waste of money? Anyone with experience using these things?

Shallot essentially embodies a very mild onion flavor with the
slightest hint of garlic. With the vast majority of recipes the white
portion of spring onions/scallions with a bit of garlic will
undetectably suffice. I will occasionally use shallots but only where
used raw, as in salads (tuna/salmon/egg)and in sandwiches (sardine),
and as a garnish for soups, very nice sprinkled atop a steaming bowl of
turtle bean soup.... I think cooking shallot wastes them, certainly a
waste of money. As for freeze dried, I consider all such products
strictly a convenience... as for their flavor worth the cost, only you
can decide, but generally as with all dried herbs their flavor is more
intense than fresh.

Sheldon

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:
> I am currently living in a place where shallots are difficult to find

(and
> quite expensive when one can find them). I prefer to use shallots

rather
> than onions in things like chicken/tuna salad sandwiches, pico de

gallo,
> guacamole, etc. so I'm wondering if freeze-dried shallots might be a

good
> substitute for fresh shallots. I don't expect them to have as much

flavour
> as fresh, but do they at least have some flavour? Or are they a

complete
> waste of money? Anyone with experience using these things?

Shallot essentially embodies a very mild onion flavor with the
slightest hint of garlic. With the vast majority of recipes the white
portion of spring onions/scallions with a bit of garlic will
undetectably suffice. I will occasionally use shallots but only where
used raw, as in salads (tuna/salmon/egg)and in sandwiches (sardine),
and as a garnish for soups, very nice sprinkled atop a steaming bowl of
black turtle bean soup.... I think cooking shallot wastes them,
certainly considering their cost. As for freeze dried, I consider all
such products strictly a convenience, nice to have at hand in the
pantry... as for their flavor worth the cost, only you can decide, but
generally as with all dried herbs their flavor is more intense than
fresh, so a little goes a long way.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Emil wrote:
> What no Wal-Mart? Shallots everyday and not to expensive. Little
> red bag near potato and onion section.

I guess you didn't get to the part where I mention that "I am currently
living in a place where shallots are difficult to find (and quite expensive
when one can find them" (right at the beginning of my post). One would
think that I would know what is available or not available in my area.

As Alan B. replied, I am currently living in Japan. There is exactly one
Wal-mart in this country, but it's about 6 hours by train from my house, not
to mention Y33 000 return (US$300) by train. That would bring up the cost
of the shallots, should they even have them, substantially. Now, if you
would like to send me the money for the train fare, plus perhaps one night's
accomodations (I don't really feel like doing a 12-hour return trip in one
day), I'll be happy to check out the potato and onion section near my
"local" Wal-Mart. Just replace the .com with .ca to e-mail me, and I will
forward you my address. I am awaiting your e-mail and my cheque (although a
bank transfer would be preferable).

rona

__

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We
had people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the
energy to go back. We call them Canadians." ---Grover Norquist in
Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Emil

Well I guess the next best thing is a Burpee catalog for seed a big pot with
dirt in it and a place with moderate heat and sun to grow your own.

--
Emil Luca

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message
> Emil wrote:
>> What no Wal-Mart? Shallots everyday and not to expensive. Little
>> red bag near potato and onion section.
>>

> I guess you didn't get to the part where I mention that "I am currently
> living in a place where shallots are difficult to find (and quite
> expensive
> when one can find them" (right at the beginning of my post). One would
> think that I would know what is available or not available in my area.
>
> As Alan B. replied, I am currently living in Japan. There is exactly one
> Wal-mart in this country, but it's about 6 hours by train from my house,
> not
> to mention Y33 000 return (US$300) by train. That would bring up the cost
> of the shallots, should they even have them, substantially. Now, if you
> would like to send me the money for the train fare, plus perhaps one
> night's
> accomodations (I don't really feel like doing a 12-hour return trip in one
> day), I'll be happy to check out the potato and onion section near my
> "local" Wal-Mart. Just replace the .com with .ca to e-mail me, and I will
> forward you my address. I am awaiting your e-mail and my cheque (although
> bank transfer would be preferable).
>

> rona
>
> __
> ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***
>
> "[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We
> had people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the
> energy to go back. We call them Canadians." ---Grover Norquist in
> Newsweek, November 22, 2004

aem

Emil wrote:
> Well I guess the next best thing is a Burpee catalog for seed a big

pot with
> dirt in it and a place with moderate heat and sun to grow your own.
> --
> Emil Luca

Shallots grow from the bulbs, not from seed. They are not particularly
critical as to soil or climate, and if you plant them in the ground
rather than a pot they are likely to spread. Like garlic, usually
planted in the fall, harvested in the spring. We had a friend in
southern California who used to give away large bunches of them because
he couldn't control how they multiplied. We planted some once and they
did well but didn't come back the next year. I guess we had harvested
too thoroughly.

-aem

Sheldon

aem wrote:
> Emil wrote:
> > Well I guess the next best thing is a Burpee catalog for seed a big

> pot with
> > dirt in it and a place with moderate heat and sun to grow your own.
> > --
> > Emil Luca

> Shallots grow from the bulbs, not from seed. They are not

particularly critical as to soil or climate.

Incorrect on both counts... shallots, as all alliums, can also be grown
from seed... and soil/climate conditions, as with all crops,
significantly affect production. With the high demand for shallots
these days, most is grown from seed (sowing seed is far less labor
intensive).

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5229.html

[excerpt]
"The true shallot (Allium cepa var. aggregatum) is grown primarily for
its bulb although the green tops may also be consumed. Its' bulb is
compound consisting of several cloves (Figure 2) which are ideally
about 30-40 mm in diameter with brown skins and a purplish tinge inside
the bulb. True shallots are used in place of onions as they have a
delicate yet distinctive flavour that persists after cooking.
Traditionally, these have been propagated using bulb material and thus
the intensiveness of production has meant they have only been produced
on a minor scale. More recently with changes in culinary tastes there
is renewed interest in true shallots. Seed companies have now produced
varieties that can be grown directly from seed."

Sheldon

aem

Sheldon wrote:

> Incorrect on both counts... shallots, as all alliums, can also be

grown
> from seed... and soil/climate conditions, as with all crops,
> significantly affect production. With the high demand for shallots
> these days, most is grown from seed (sowing seed is far less labor
> intensive).

You can get pedantic, can't you? Yes, seeds are now available, but
home gardeners nearly always grow onions, garlic and shallots from
bulbs because it's so much easier than getting seeds to sprout. Yes,
commercial operations strew seeds from their machines, but that is not
the default case for rfc-ers. And of course soil and climate always
affect production to some degree just as a gas oven set at 350=B0 bakes
differently from an electric oven set at 347=B0. That said, in
comparison to very many other home garden vegetables, all the alliums
are quite forgiving.

Most of you know this, but Sheldon often needs help distinguishing
between what the books say and what people actually do. =20

-aem

Sheldon

aem wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Incorrect on both counts... shallots, as all alliums, can also be

> grown
> > from seed... and soil/climate conditions, as with all crops,
> > significantly affect production. With the high demand for shallots
> > these days, most is grown from seed (sowing seed is far less labor
> > intensive).

> You can get pedantic, can't you? Yes, seeds are now available, but
> home gardeners nearly always grow onions, garlic and shallots from
> bulbs because it's so much easier than getting seeds to sprout. Yes,
> commercial operations strew seeds from their machines, but that is

not
> the default case for rfc-ers.

What a low IQ idiot, *assuming* rfc'ers grow their own... the vast,
vast majority of all consumers, including rfc'ers, buy commercially
grown produce... very, very few rfc'ers grow anything but mouldy
cheese, you puny pontificating penis!

Katra

In article . com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Incorrect on both counts... shallots, as all alliums, can also be

> grown
> > from seed... and soil/climate conditions, as with all crops,
> > significantly affect production. With the high demand for shallots
> > these days, most is grown from seed (sowing seed is far less labor
> > intensive).

> You can get pedantic, can't you? Yes, seeds are now available, but
> home gardeners nearly always grow onions, garlic and shallots from
> bulbs because it's so much easier than getting seeds to sprout. Yes,
> commercial operations strew seeds from their machines, but that is not
> the default case for rfc-ers. And of course soil and climate always
> affect production to some degree just as a gas oven set at 350° bakes
> differently from an electric oven set at 347°. That said, in
> comparison to very many other home garden vegetables, all the alliums
> are quite forgiving.
>
> Most of you know this, but Sheldon often needs help distinguishing
> between what the books say and what people actually do.
>
> -aem

I dunno...
For the past two years, I've tried growing onions from "sets".
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but none of them are making it. :-(

I'm ready to try onions from seed.......

And Shallots are a favorite of mine! No need to grow them tho' as I can
get all I want from the oriental market in Austin!

To the gal in Japan:

I am willing to ship you some at cost! I do ebay so mail stuff world
wide all the time, and have sent stuff by global priority to Japan, and
it gets there in usually 10 days or less! If I pack these right for you,
they should do well since the weather is cold right now. :-)

Let me know? I get beautiful ones at that Oriental market!!! Nice and
big and flavorful.

I'm learning to almost prefer them to onions! I generally mix the two.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> aem wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> > >
> > > Incorrect on both counts... shallots, as all alliums, can also be

> > grown
> > > from seed... and soil/climate conditions, as with all crops,
> > > significantly affect production. With the high demand for shallots
> > > these days, most is grown from seed (sowing seed is far less labor
> > > intensive).

> > You can get pedantic, can't you? Yes, seeds are now available, but
> > home gardeners nearly always grow onions, garlic and shallots from
> > bulbs because it's so much easier than getting seeds to sprout. Yes,
> > commercial operations strew seeds from their machines, but that is

> not
> > the default case for rfc-ers.

> What a low IQ idiot, *assuming* rfc'ers grow their own... the vast,
> vast majority of all consumers, including rfc'ers, buy commercially
> grown produce... very, very few rfc'ers grow anything but mouldy
> cheese, you puny pontificating penis!

Sheldon dear, serious question!
What are the best soil, water and sun conditions to grow onions from
seed? I'd like to try growing a bunch of white onions this year.

Thanks!
Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Sheldon wrote:

> Shallot essentially embodies a very mild onion flavor with the
> slightest hint of garlic. With the vast majority of recipes the white
> portion of spring onions/scallions with a bit of garlic will
> undetectably suffice. I will occasionally use shallots but only where
> used raw, as in salads (tuna/salmon/egg)and in sandwiches (sardine),
> and as a garnish for soups, very nice sprinkled atop a steaming bowl
> of turtle bean soup.... I think cooking shallot wastes them,
> certainly a waste of money. As for freeze dried, I consider all such
> products strictly a convenience... as for their flavor worth the
> cost, only you can decide, but generally as with all dried herbs
> their flavor is more intense than fresh.

I guess I'll have to take the plunge and buy a pack. That they more be more
intense may be a plus. I was worried about another cilantro incident
(cilantro is also very, very difficult to find in Japan so I brought a big
bag of dried--it's useless!).

Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Katra wrote:

> I am willing to ship you some at cost! I do ebay so mail stuff world
> wide all the time, and have sent stuff by global priority to Japan,
> and it gets there in usually 10 days or less! If I pack these right
> for you, they should do well since the weather is cold right now. :-)
>
> Let me know? I get beautiful ones at that Oriental market!!! Nice and
> big and flavorful.
>
> I'm learning to almost prefer them to onions! I generally mix the two.

Thanks, but I don't think Japan will let them in! Silly customs people have
actually been checking packages, lately, too!

I do prefer shallots to onions. My family has always used a lot of shallots
(my dad's Thai and shallots--or something similar--is frequently used in
Thai cooking) so I've always loved them. That's probably why I miss them so
much now!

Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Katra

In article >,
"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > I am willing to ship you some at cost! I do ebay so mail stuff world
> > wide all the time, and have sent stuff by global priority to Japan,
> > and it gets there in usually 10 days or less! If I pack these right
> > for you, they should do well since the weather is cold right now. :-)
> >
> > Let me know? I get beautiful ones at that Oriental market!!! Nice and
> > big and flavorful.
> >
> > I'm learning to almost prefer them to onions! I generally mix the two.
> >

> Thanks, but I don't think Japan will let them in! Silly customs people have
> actually been checking packages, lately, too!

Yeah... sending veggies as gifts can sometimes be a problem. :-P

> I do prefer shallots to onions. My family has always used a lot of shallots
> (my dad's Thai and shallots--or something similar--is frequently used in
> Thai cooking) so I've always loved them. That's probably why I miss them so
> much now!

Would it be possible to find some for sale on line locally?
Japanese websites? :-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

aem

Katra wrote:

> I dunno...
> For the past two years, I've tried growing onions from "sets".
> I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but none of them are making it.

:-(

> I'm ready to try onions from seed.......

I haven't tried them from seed, but I'll bet the big catalog seed
companies will give you good sprouting directions. As to your past
lack of success all I can offer is some quotes from an old but reliable
USDA pamphlet, "Growing Vegetables in the Home Garden."

"Onions thrive under a wide variety of climatic and soil conditions,
but do best with an abundance of moisture and a temperate climate....In
the South [[U.S.]] the onion thrives in the fall, winter, and spring.
In the North, onions are primarily a spring, summer and fall
crop....Any type of soil will grow onions, but it must be fertile,
moist, and in the highest state of tilth. Both compost and commercial
fertilizer, especially one high in phosphorus and potash, should be
applied to the onion plot...Sets...are usually employed by home
gardeners....The home-garden culture of onions from seed is
satisfactory in the North where the summers are comparatively cool...."

Not quoted but understood is that while a lot of heat is not desirable
they do want plenty of sun.

Dunno if any of that may help you, but I hope you keep trying. Few
foods are as satisfying as those you grow yourself.

-aem

Katra

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > I dunno...
> > For the past two years, I've tried growing onions from "sets".
> > I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but none of them are making it.

> :-(
> >
> > I'm ready to try onions from seed.......
> >

> I haven't tried them from seed, but I'll bet the big catalog seed
> companies will give you good sprouting directions. As to your past
> lack of success all I can offer is some quotes from an old but reliable
> USDA pamphlet, "Growing Vegetables in the Home Garden."
>
> "Onions thrive under a wide variety of climatic and soil conditions,
> but do best with an abundance of moisture and a temperate climate....In
> the South [[U.S.]] the onion thrives in the fall, winter, and spring.
> In the North, onions are primarily a spring, summer and fall
> crop....Any type of soil will grow onions, but it must be fertile,
> moist, and in the highest state of tilth. Both compost and commercial
> fertilizer, especially one high in phosphorus and potash, should be
> applied to the onion plot...Sets...are usually employed by home
> gardeners....The home-garden culture of onions from seed is
> satisfactory in the North where the summers are comparatively cool...."
>
> Not quoted but understood is that while a lot of heat is not desirable
> they do want plenty of sun.
>
> Dunno if any of that may help you, but I hope you keep trying. Few
> foods are as satisfying as those you grow yourself.
>
> -aem

Direct sun and plenty of moisture... Too much moisture! We've been
getting an unusual amount of rainfall for the past couple of years!

All my onions rotted in the ground before they got larger than 1"
across. <sigh>

Even my tomato vines met an early demise from blight due to the overly
wet weather last year, and I usually have grand tomatoes! I am trying
them inside the greenhouse this year where they will be protected from
too much rain. :-)

Thanks!
Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Phred

In article >,
Katra > wrote:
[snip]
>Even my tomato vines met an early demise from blight due to the overly
>wet weather last year, and I usually have grand tomatoes! I am trying
>them inside the greenhouse this year where they will be protected from
>too much rain. :-)

Murphy will ensure there is not enough rain this year; and plants in
greenhouses will go grey! ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Dan Abel

In article >, Katra
> wrote:

> Even my tomato vines met an early demise from blight due to the overly
> wet weather last year, and I usually have grand tomatoes! I am trying
> them inside the greenhouse this year where they will be protected from
> too much rain. :-)

Weird. It doesn't rain here in the summer. The average rainfall for July
is .01 inch.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel

In article >, Katra
> wrote:

> I have three tomatoe vines in greenhouse #3 that have done well all
> winter. I planted them in there last November when they were itty bitty.
> They have very lush foliage and are blooming now but have not set yet. I
> need to hand-fertilize the flowers at the right stage.

Good luck. If your plants don't set fruit, there is a spray that will
help. I'm not sure that hand-pollination is enough.

We have really nice weather where I live. In the summer, it gets warm
during the day, and then the breeze off the ocean comes in mid-afternoon
and cools things off.

When we bought our house 30 years ago, I was really looking forward to a
garden, and especially tomatoes. I put in the garden and planted like two
Early Girl tomatoes and four Big Girls. I wanted to get tomatoes early,
but I was really looking forward to the big ones. Well, I never got
them. The plants grew but didn't set fruit until summer was almost over.
It was well into the fall before there were any ripe tomatoes from the Big
Girl plants. They were barely bigger than the Early Girls and they looked
terrible. The skin was all blemished. The Early Girls were beautiful and
produced lots of tomatoes over a long period. They were a little small
but usable for anything.

Some time later we went to the county fair, where they were handing out
booklets on how to grow stuff in our county. For tomatoes, they advised
that you couldn't grow them here (I think they meant commercially) because
it was too cool at night to set fruit reliably, except for the far north
part of the county.

So, this is nice weather for people, but not tomatoes. So we pretty much
stick to Early Girls now (and cherry tomatoes).

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Rona Y.

Katra wrote:

> Would it be possible to find some for sale on line locally?
> Japanese websites? :-)

I can buy some in Osaka at a Thai grocery store that is quite out of the
way. They store them in the refrigerator, though, and that troubles me. It
was my understanding that shallots, onions, and such should not be stored in
the fridge. But I did buy them once. They got mouldy very quickly and
given their price, I couldn't justify buying them again. So freeze-dried it
will be! There's no harm in trying, anyway!

Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Katra

In article >,
"Rona Y." > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > Would it be possible to find some for sale on line locally?
> > Japanese websites? :-)
> >

> I can buy some in Osaka at a Thai grocery store that is quite out of the
> way. They store them in the refrigerator, though, and that troubles me. It
> was my understanding that shallots, onions, and such should not be stored in
> the fridge. But I did buy them once. They got mouldy very quickly and
> given their price, I couldn't justify buying them again. So freeze-dried it
> will be! There's no harm in trying, anyway!
>
> rona

Cool. Let us know how it turns out!

I get my shallots fresh from a bin at the oriental market, and I DO
refrigerate them. Onions too. It drastically extends the shelf life!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Sheldon

Katra wrote:

> I get my shallots fresh from a bin at the oriental market, and I DO
> refrigerate them. Onions too.

Actually those are not "fresh", they're *dry*.
Fresh means just picked with tops still green... dry shallot/onion from
the market have been out of the ground for months, tastes nothing like
fresh. Btw, neither should be refrigerated, they should be stored like
garlic, in a cool (not cold), dark, well ventilated place.

Katra

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > I get my shallots fresh from a bin at the oriental market, and I DO
> > refrigerate them. Onions too.

> Actually those are not "fresh", they're *dry*.

Ok Mr. picky! <lol>

> Fresh means just picked with tops still green... dry shallot/onion from
> the market have been out of the ground for months, tastes nothing like
> fresh. Btw, neither should be refrigerated, they should be stored like
> garlic, in a cool (not cold), dark, well ventilated place.

Can't. It's too humid here.

Every time I try just storing onions, garlic or shallots in a wood bin,
even with paper lining, they get moldy within about a week. Tried
storing them in the dark in a cardboard box too. Same result.

Refrigeration keeps them good for up to 6 weeks if they last that long
which is rare. I use a wicker basket in the big 40 cubic ft. Hobart and
put paper towels on the bottom of that.

I've never had them damaged/frozen as they are up in front near the
glass doors.

What is supposed to be wrong with refrigeration as long as they don't
get frozen??? Does not seem to change or hurt them any!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Dan Abel

In article >, Katra
> wrote:

> What is supposed to be wrong with refrigeration as long as they don't
> get frozen??? Does not seem to change or hurt them any!

Makes your fridge smell?

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Rona Y.

Katra wrote:

> What is supposed to be wrong with refrigeration as long as they don't
> get frozen??? Does not seem to change or hurt them any!

It is my understanding that refrigeration does alter the flavour--it lessens
it substantially. But that may be just for onions that have already been
sliced.

Newsweek, November 22, 2004