I used to hate canned tuna when I was a kid because of the oil; I guess
it was about 15 years ago they started selling it packed in water. As
an adult I've finally learned to appreciate a tuna fish sandwich as I
now buy tuna in water.

Peter Aitken

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
>> When I was younger I think all tuna came in oil. Now it seems to all
>> come in water and the oil stuff is real hard to find. The oil stuff
>> is so much better, but I suppose they are catering to dieters, like
>> most foods now a days, and I am not one that needs to diet. Diet food
>> always tastes like crap.

> Half the tuna at the store where I shop (HEB) has tuna in oil...
> It's not hard to find at all.
>
> Personally, I like the tuna in water. Same flavor but the grease does
> not squish between your teeth. ;-)
>
> Get some tuna in water, drain it, then just add a couple of tablespoons
> of vegetable oil to it, mix it in and let it sit in the refrigerator for
> a few hours to soak. That ought to take care of the issue for you!
> --

Simply being in oil does not make tuna good. You can put cheap tuna in
cottonseed oil and I will agree with you. You need to get good tuna in olive
oil. Unfortunately it is pricey, even the "cheap" stuff, but is vastly
better than the water-soaked tuna. Cento, an Italian brand, makes a pretty
good and widely available tuna in olive oil and I think it's $2-something a
can. If you can find Ortiz El Velero brand "Bonito del Norte en Aceite de
Oliva" you are in for a real treat. From Spain, $10 for an 8.8 ounce can,
but astoundingly good. I eat it with just some pepper and lemon.

--
Peter Aitken

Nancy Young

"Phred" > wrote in message

> The other day I noticed a real classic in the toilet soap section at
> the local Coles: "Contains raspberry, strawberry, and wild berries".
> Jesus wept! I was brought up to use soap to wash those things *off*
> for crissake!

Toilet soap? Sounds ... like something you wouldn't want to use
on yourself.

nancy

Phred

In article >, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>"Phred" > wrote in message
>
>> The other day I noticed a real classic in the toilet soap section at
>> the local Coles: "Contains raspberry, strawberry, and wild berries".
>> Jesus wept! I was brought up to use soap to wash those things *off*
>> for crissake!

>Toilet soap? Sounds ... like something you wouldn't want to use
>on yourself.

G'day Nancy,

Yes. I suffer from something of the same linguistic prejudice too.
But it does seem to be the term used extensively in the retail
industry these days (at least in this part of the world).

FWIW, your comment drove me to look things up (in a Yankee source
too. Found in Merriam-Webster online:

Main Entry: toilet soap
Function: noun
: a mild soap that is often perfumed and colored and stabilized with
preservatives

[ Like I said -- it's full of gunk! ]

As for "toilet":

Main Entry: 1toi·let
Pronunciation: 'toi-l&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French toilette cloth put over the shoulders while
dressing the hair or shaving, diminutive of toile cloth
1 archaic : DRESSING TABLE
2 : the act or process of dressing and grooming oneself
3 a (1) : BATHROOM, LAVATORY 2 (2) : PRIVY b : a fixture that consists
usually of a water-flushed bowl and seat and is used for defecation
and urination
4 : cleansing in preparation for or in association with a medical or
surgical procedure <a pharyngeal toilet>

(Note that 4th entry. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

SportKite1

>From: "Peter Aitken"

>Simply being in oil does not make tuna good.

>You need to get good tuna in olive
>oil. Unfortunately it is pricey, even the "cheap" stuff, but is vastly
>better than the water-soaked tuna.

StarKist Tuna Fillet in Olive Oil is pretty good. Inexpensive too. 1.19 for 6
oz. As it is very densely packed and solid - I can get two fairly good sized
sandwiches [combined with mayo, lemon juice, celery and minced onions] from one
can. Shocking.

Ellen

Gregory Morrow

Sheldon wrote:

> Where I shop I find both tuna in water and tuna in oil. I buy the oil
> pack, only solid white... the chunk light is worse than canned cat
> food, and it's salty. And I don't see the point in choosing the water
> pack to save calories, not if you're going to mix it with globs of
> mayo... mayo is essentially oil, commercial mayo like Hellmans being
> the same soy oil as is used in oil pack tuna, so like really big DUH!

Lol...yep it's a pretty simple concept when you think about. I've had to
explain to several folks why I always buy tuna in oil...when they realize
the sense of it a light bulb goes on over their head.

Yer not addin' it to a glass of water or diet cola, you are adding it to a
salad or something that has plenty of fat already in it. The calorie diff
between water - packed and oil - packed is fairly negligible all things
considering.

> And don't get me started on tuna in a pouch... unless you're training
> to become an astronaut who the Eff wants to eat tuna squeezed from a
> colostomy pouch.

It's N - A - S - T - Y stuff...remember some of the discussions here about
it, it was The New Big Thing, I tried it and couldn't believe how ghastly it
was.

--
Best
Greg

Peter Aitken

"SportKite1" > wrote in message
> >From: "Peter Aitken"

>>Simply being in oil does not make tuna good.

>>You need to get good tuna in olive
>>oil. Unfortunately it is pricey, even the "cheap" stuff, but is vastly
>>better than the water-soaked tuna.

> StarKist Tuna Fillet in Olive Oil is pretty good. Inexpensive too. 1.19
> for 6
> oz. As it is very densely packed and solid - I can get two fairly good
> sized
> sandwiches [combined with mayo, lemon juice, celery and minced onions]
> from one
> can. Shocking.
>
> Ellen

THanks - I will look for that. I would love to find a tasty less expensive
tuna.

--
Peter Aitken

Nancy Young

"Dog3" > wrote in message
> "Gregory Morrow"
> <gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote in
> nk.net:
>
>> Greg remarks on tuna in a pouch:
>>
>> It's N - A - S - T - Y stuff...remember some of the discussions here
>> about it, it was The New Big Thing, I tried it and couldn't believe
>> how ghastly it was.

> I only tried it once and really, really disliked it. I'll never buy it
> again.

DITTO. Yes, I'm yelling. And for the price? Thanks, but no thanks.
Creepy stuff. I'll go back to opening a couple of cans for 2 sandwiches
even if that stuff is like cat food, too.

nancy

Damsel in dis Dress

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:09:29 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>DITTO. Yes, I'm yelling. And for the price? Thanks, but no thanks.
>Creepy stuff. I'll go back to opening a couple of cans for 2 sandwiches
>even if that stuff is like cat food, too.

Nancy, look for solid white albacore in the can. It's the way canned tuna
was when we were kids, except better (I like the milder taste of albacore).
The "chunk" tuna is more like ground tuna these days. ICK!

Carol

George

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Nancy, look for solid white albacore in the can. It's the way canned tuna
> was when we were kids, except better (I like the milder taste of albacore).
> The "chunk" tuna is more like ground tuna these days. ICK!
>
> Carol

You are being too polite. It reminds me of cat food. I wonder what
happened that it is so common.

Albacore is not a good answer for me because I like the stronger tasting
tuna.
George

smithfarms pure kona wrote:

> I don't know if you have this on the mainland US yet, but we have been
> buying in Hawaii "Van Camp's"-Samoa Packing- Chunk Style Wahoo" in the
> can. Makes a yummy sandwich reminiscent of old time tuna. The fish
> is really what we call "ono" in Hawaii, definitely packed in oil and
> very tasty.
>
> aloha,
> Thunder
>
> smithfarms.com
> Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
> & other Great Stuff

Google says that that particular fish is only a small percentage of the
tuna caught and the processed stuff is only found in Hawaii. I found a
picture too and it does look like what you would find in a tuna can when
I was a kid.
Katra

In article >,
wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:58:24 -0600, Katra
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> >> You're going to eat the cat?

> >LOL!
> >That's the way I read that too! ;-D
> >

> Same here
>
> >I'm sure he meant "invited to lunch" and he plans
> >to feed it tuna, but it sure was written funny!

> I hope so..... Kitty will love the tuna.... My cats get that real
> cheap tuna for treats. I wont eat it, but they love it, and it's
> often the same price as cat food.

I buy the cheap tuna in oil for my older kitties to encourage them to
eat more calories. The geriatric cats always seem to get really thin
before they die, even with regular vet care. :-(

Orchid will probably not be with us much longer. <sigh>
And I can't get her to eat the prescription food that would really help
her!
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Katra

In article >,
(Phred) wrote:

> In article >,
> Katra > wrote:
> >In article >,

> >wrote:
> >> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:58:24 -0600, Katra

> [snip]

> >> Same here

> >> I hope so..... Kitty will love the tuna.... My cats get that real
> >> cheap tuna for treats. I wont eat it, but they love it, and it's
> >> often the same price as cat food.

> >I buy the cheap tuna in oil for my older kitties to encourage them to
> >eat more calories. The geriatric cats always seem to get really thin
> >before they die, even with regular vet care. :-(
> >
> >Orchid will probably not be with us much longer. <sigh> And I can't
> >get her to eat the prescription food that would really help her!

> Rellies had an elderly cat some time ago that caught a serious case of
> "cat cold" and wouldn't eat. Vet pointed out cats won't eat what they
> can't smell; so for the best part of a week she dined on excellent
> fresh prawns [shrimps] at about $20/kg.
>

> Cheers, Phred.

Very true...
My vet has sold me a decongestant pill with an appetite stimulant for
kitties in that condition that works very well!
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Katra

In article >,
wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 02:39:33 -0600, Katra
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,

> >wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:58:24 -0600, Katra

> >> Same here

> >> I hope so..... Kitty will love the tuna.... My cats get that real
> >> cheap tuna for treats. I wont eat it, but they love it, and it's
> >> often the same price as cat food.

> >I buy the cheap tuna in oil for my older kitties to encourage them to
> >eat more calories. The geriatric cats always seem to get really thin
> >before they die, even with regular vet care. :-(
> >
> >Orchid will probably not be with us much longer. <sigh>
> >And I can't get her to eat the prescription food that would really help
> >her!

> Does she eat the dry cat food? If yes, pour a little vegetable oil
> over and see if she will eat it. That adds weight. I have done this
> with skinny elderly horses, and it works. Horses do the same thing,
> get real skinny when they are old. I am dealing with a 27 year old
> horse now, and she is looking better. Dont overdo it though or kitty
> will get the runs. I give up to 2 cups per day to the horse. The
> average is horse is 1000lbs This one is probably 750. A average cat
> is 10 to 15 lbs. so that would be 1/75th of 2 cups. I'll let you do
> the math, i am not good at it. However, I'd say a tablespoon would be
> about the maximum per day, start out with half that amount.

She is old with few teeth. She cannot eat dry food.
She is eating fancy feast and friskies canned. She eats ok, just won't
eat the high calorie A&D prescription food. I can try adding a little
oil to her canned food, just don't want to give her diarrhea as that
would make her worse!

> I am not a vet, but I am trained in animal care, both small animals
> and livestock. Hope this helps, and some cats love oil. Plain corn,
> soy or the so called "vegetable oil" is all you need. The oil tuna is
> a good idea too, but cats should not get exclusively sea food. I see
> no reason why you cant mix some oil in canned cat food either.

Yeah, the tuna is just an treat. They cannot live on just that...

> PS. Oil controls hairballs in cats, and gives then a nice coat too !

:-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Dimitri

> wrote in message
> When I was younger I think all tuna came in oil. Now it seems to all
> come in water and the oil stuff is real hard to find. The oil stuff
> is so much better, but I suppose they are catering to dieters, like
> most foods now a days, and I am not one that needs to diet. Diet food
> always tastes like crap.

No problems finding several types chunk, solid etc. in CA.

BTW I do agree, I think the tuna in Water tastes diluted.

Dimitri

Thomas Speer

In article > , Dimitri
> wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > When I was younger I think all tuna came in oil. Now it seems to all
> > come in water and the oil stuff is real hard to find. The oil stuff
> > is so much better, but I suppose they are catering to dieters, like
> > most foods now a days, and I am not one that needs to diet. Diet food
> > always tastes like crap.

> No problems finding several types chunk, solid etc. in CA.
>
> BTW I do agree, I think the tuna in Water tastes diluted.
>
> Dimitri

Might have been mentioned before, but Trader Joe's usually carries a
good Italian tuna in oil.
Jude

Stan Horwitz wrote:

In fact, I have a cat at work which will
> probably be lunch tomorrow.

That's one funny typo!!!

Hard-to-find holiday goodies Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 0 07-12-2011 07:12 PM
Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find? Way Back Jack[_5_] General Cooking 48 01-07-2011 07:29 PM
Benecol. Hard to find? Julie Bove Diabetic 13 23-01-2010 08:07 PM
Hard to Find A Good Zin zinlover Wine 5 14-05-2008 02:35 PM
Hard to find chocolates at the chocolate co-op Clay Gordon Chocolate 1 13-03-2004 09:58 PM