Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Benecol. Hard to find?

First let me say I do not think I need this stuff to lower my cholesterol,
but... It's the only soft spread I can find (in this area) that doesn't
contain dairy. I also buy Nucoa but it's in a stick and I like this to use
on Angela's sandwiches. I noticed that Albertson's didn't seem to carry it
and now it seems that Safeway doesn't have it. Could have sworn that they
used to.

Is anyone else having trouble finding it? I hate having to go to all these
different stores for various things. We were buying a liquid margarine
(actually almost more of a gel) at QFC until I discovered the Benecol. I
like the texture of it better, although the price is worse.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tahini spread is a nice substitute. Check out the nut butters especially at
the health food store. There may be one made from something she can
tolerate.

Julie Bove wrote:
> First let me say I do not think I need this stuff to lower my
> cholesterol, but... It's the only soft spread I can find (in this
> area) that doesn't contain dairy. I also buy Nucoa but it's in a
> stick and I like this to use on Angela's sandwiches. I noticed that
> Albertson's didn't seem to carry it and now it seems that Safeway
> doesn't have it. Could have sworn that they used to.
>
> Is anyone else having trouble finding it? I hate having to go to all
> these different stores for various things. We were buying a liquid
> margarine (actually almost more of a gel) at QFC until I discovered
> the Benecol. I like the texture of it better, although the price is
> worse.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> First let me say I do not think I need this stuff to lower my cholesterol,
> but... It's the only soft spread I can find (in this area) that doesn't
> contain dairy. I also buy Nucoa but it's in a stick and I like this to use
> on Angela's sandwiches. I noticed that Albertson's didn't seem to carry it
> and now it seems that Safeway doesn't have it. Could have sworn that they
> used to.
>
> Is anyone else having trouble finding it? I hate having to go to all these
> different stores for various things. We were buying a liquid margarine
> (actually almost more of a gel) at QFC until I discovered the Benecol. I
> like the texture of it better, although the price is worse.

Here is their web site. http://www.benecol.com/home2.jhtml

Fleischman's makes a dairy-free corn oil based margarine. Look for any
margarine that has the notation "Pareve" on it. That means that it has
been inspected and certified to be dairy-free. Observant Jews do not
have any dairy with their meat meals. "Pareve" means that it has no
dairy or meat. Sort of a neutral.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: First let me say I do not think I need this stuff to lower my cholesterol,
: but... It's the only soft spread I can find (in this area) that doesn't
: contain dairy. I also buy Nucoa but it's in a stick and I like this to use
: on Angela's sandwiches. I noticed that Albertson's didn't seem to carry it
: and now it seems that Safeway doesn't have it. Could have sworn that they
: used to.

: Is anyone else having trouble finding it? I hate having to go to all these
: different stores for various things. We were buying a liquid margarine
: (actually almost more of a gel) at QFC until I discovered the Benecol. I
: like the texture of it better, although the price is worse.

Some of the Smart Balances have no dairy. Look for the ones with a little
u inside an o with no little D next to it. The D stands for dairy so if
it is not there there is no dairy in it. They are not all alike, but I
get the smart balance light in 8 oz tubs, not in the big 16 oz tub so I
can use it for meat or milk meals.

If a store stops carrying something have you tried asking the manager to
get some?

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Tahini spread is a nice substitute. Check out the nut butters especially
> at the health food store. There may be one made from something she can
> tolerate.

We have nut allergies. Don't particularly like tahini, but we do like
hummus.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> First let me say I do not think I need this stuff to lower my
>> cholesterol, but... It's the only soft spread I can find (in this area)
>> that doesn't contain dairy. I also buy Nucoa but it's in a stick and I
>> like this to use on Angela's sandwiches. I noticed that Albertson's
>> didn't seem to carry it and now it seems that Safeway doesn't have it.
>> Could have sworn that they used to.
>>
>> Is anyone else having trouble finding it? I hate having to go to all
>> these different stores for various things. We were buying a liquid
>> margarine (actually almost more of a gel) at QFC until I discovered the
>> Benecol. I like the texture of it better, although the price is worse.

> Here is their web site. http://www.benecol.com/home2.jhtml

I know.

> Fleischman's makes a dairy-free corn oil based margarine. Look for any
> margarine that has the notation "Pareve" on it. That means that it has
> been inspected and certified to be dairy-free. Observant Jews do not have
> any dairy with their meat meals. "Pareve" means that it has no dairy or
> meat. Sort of a neutral.

I know they make it but it is not sold at any stores here. We also need
something that is soy protein free. I'd prefer it to be free of soybean oil
as well, but apparently that is too much to ask. AFAIK, there aren't many
Jewish people here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : First let me say I do not think I need this stuff to lower my
> cholesterol,
> : but... It's the only soft spread I can find (in this area) that doesn't
> : contain dairy. I also buy Nucoa but it's in a stick and I like this to
> use
> : on Angela's sandwiches. I noticed that Albertson's didn't seem to carry
> it
> : and now it seems that Safeway doesn't have it. Could have sworn that
> they
> : used to.
>
> : Is anyone else having trouble finding it? I hate having to go to all
> these
> : different stores for various things. We were buying a liquid margarine
> : (actually almost more of a gel) at QFC until I discovered the Benecol.
> : like the texture of it better, although the price is worse.
>
> Some of the Smart Balances have no dairy. Look for the ones with a little
> u inside an o with no little D next to it. The D stands for dairy so if
> it is not there there is no dairy in it. They are not all alike, but I
> get the smart balance light in 8 oz tubs, not in the big 16 oz tub so I
> can use it for meat or milk meals.

They might have soy and/or peas in them. Also allergens. I will look, but
AFAIK I haven't seen any of that brand that we can have.

> If a store stops carrying something have you tried asking the manager to
> get some?

No. Having worked in retail for most of my life I know there is almost
always a reason when a store stops carrying something. I do not think
Benecol is a big seller, but I could be wrong.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 23/01/2010 10:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> First let me say I do not think I need this stuff to lower my cholesterol,
> but... It's the only soft spread I can find (in this area) that doesn't
> contain dairy. I also buy Nucoa but it's in a stick and I like this to use
> on Angela's sandwiches. I noticed that Albertson's didn't seem to carry it
> and now it seems that Safeway doesn't have it. Could have sworn that they
> used to.
>
> Is anyone else having trouble finding it? I hate having to go to all these
> different stores for various things. We were buying a liquid margarine
> (actually almost more of a gel) at QFC until I discovered the Benecol. I
> like the texture of it better, although the price is worse.

Tried it once thought it tasted terrible ... never again

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 23/01/2010 10:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> First let me say I do not think I need this stuff to lower my
>> cholesterol,
>> but... It's the only soft spread I can find (in this area) that doesn't
>> contain dairy. I also buy Nucoa but it's in a stick and I like this to
>> use
>> on Angela's sandwiches. I noticed that Albertson's didn't seem to carry
>> it
>> and now it seems that Safeway doesn't have it. Could have sworn that
>> they
>> used to.
>>
>> Is anyone else having trouble finding it? I hate having to go to all
>> these
>> different stores for various things. We were buying a liquid margarine
>> (actually almost more of a gel) at QFC until I discovered the Benecol. I
>> like the texture of it better, although the price is worse.
>>

> Tried it once thought it tasted terrible ... never again

Really? I think it tastes okay.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Tahini spread is a nice substitute. Check out the nut butters
>> especially at the health food store. There may be one made from
>> something she can tolerate.

> We have nut allergies. Don't particularly like tahini, but we do like
> hummus.

I like a bit of hommus or avocado as a spead. In the past have also used
mayo or cream cheese. Tahini is something I like lightly spread, not too
thick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS wrote:
> On 23/01/2010 10:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> First let me say I do not think I need this stuff to lower my
>> cholesterol, but... It's the only soft spread I can find (in this
>> area) that doesn't contain dairy. I also buy Nucoa but it's in a
>> stick and I like this to use on Angela's sandwiches. I noticed that
>> Albertson's didn't seem to carry it and now it seems that Safeway
>> doesn't have it. Could have sworn that they used to.
>>
>> Is anyone else having trouble finding it? I hate having to go to
>> all these different stores for various things. We were buying a
>> liquid margarine (actually almost more of a gel) at QFC until I
>> discovered the Benecol. I like the texture of it better, although
>> the price is worse.

> Tried it once thought it tasted terrible ... never again

I love proactiv.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Tahini spread is a nice substitute. Check out the nut butters especially
: > at the health food store. There may be one made from something she can
: > tolerate.

: We have nut allergies. Don't particularly like tahini, but we do like
: hummus.

FYI Tahini is maid form sesame seeds, not nuts.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> RodS wrote:
>> On 23/01/2010 10:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> First let me say I do not think I need this stuff to lower my
>>> cholesterol, but... It's the only soft spread I can find (in this
>>> area) that doesn't contain dairy. I also buy Nucoa but it's in a
>>> stick and I like this to use on Angela's sandwiches. I noticed that
>>> Albertson's didn't seem to carry it and now it seems that Safeway
>>> doesn't have it. Could have sworn that they used to.
>>>
>>> Is anyone else having trouble finding it? I hate having to go to
>>> all these different stores for various things. We were buying a
>>> liquid margarine (actually almost more of a gel) at QFC until I
>>> discovered the Benecol. I like the texture of it better, although
>>> the price is worse.

>> Tried it once thought it tasted terrible ... never again

> I love proactiv.

I think here that is a yogurt.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Tahini spread is a nice substitute. Check out the nut butters
> especially
> : > at the health food store. There may be one made from something she can
> : > tolerate.
>
> : We have nut allergies. Don't particularly like tahini, but we do like
> : hummus.
>

> FYI Tahini is maid form sesame seeds, not nuts.

I know. But she also mentioned nut butters.

Hard-to-find holiday goodies Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 0 07-12-2011 07:12 PM
Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find? Way Back Jack[_5_] General Cooking 48 01-07-2011 07:29 PM
Exotic fruits, why hard to find? [email protected] General Cooking 20 01-06-2009 09:26 PM
Hard to Find A Good Zin zinlover Wine 5 14-05-2008 02:35 PM
Tuna in oil - hard to find Katra General Cooking 32 03-02-2005 02:16 AM