Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

Default PING: RFC---idiots are us!

Well, lovely non-cooking Lucy really had us going didn't she? She said she
has a Phd, but she never answered as to what; her answer was that that she
had an MD in general surgery. (say what?!)

IMHO, ditzy Lucy just ran a number on this newsgroup. Dang, I fell for it.
What about y'all?

Pam

Damsel

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 07:53:26 GMT, "Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby" <pjjehg
@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>Well, lovely non-cooking Lucy really had us going didn't she? She said she
>has a Phd, but she never answered as to what; her answer was that that she
>had an MD in general surgery. (say what?!)

I missed that one! LOL!

>IMHO, ditzy Lucy just ran a number on this newsgroup. Dang, I fell for it.
>What about y'all?

I think that "Lucy" is intelligent, possibly well-educated, but definitely
a troll and troublemaker. I think you need more sleep, Pam.

Carol

Bob

Pam wrote:

> IMHO, ditzy Lucy just ran a number on this newsgroup. Dang, I fell for
> it. What about y'all?

How about we all get back to talking about COOKING? Here, I'll start:

Two boxes of Harry & David's "Royal Riviera" pears showed up on my doorstep
today. They're firmer than I expected them to be. Although I know they'll
soften over the next week or so, I want to cook with some of them now. I
*used* to have a recipe for ribs with pears, but I never made it, and now I
can't find the recipe.

Any suggestions on what to do with these while they're still crunchy?
They're pretty big, about as big as a softball, and I've got lots of them.
(I'm going to give some to my girlfriend, but she'll probably only eat one
or two.)

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Jan 2005 12:53:26a, Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Well, lovely non-cooking Lucy really had us going didn't she? She said
> she has a Phd, but she never answered as to what; her answer was that
> that she had an MD in general surgery. (say what?!)
>
> IMHO, ditzy Lucy just ran a number on this newsgroup. Dang, I fell for
> it. What about y'all?
>
> Pam

I wouldn't know. Lucy became a celebrated member of my killfile after her
2nd post.

Wayne

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

"Wayne Boatwright wrote in message
> On Sun 30 Jan 2005 12:53:26a, Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Well, lovely non-cooking Lucy really had us going didn't she? She said
>> she has a Phd, but she never answered as to what; her answer was that
>> that she had an MD in general surgery. (say what?!)
>>
>> IMHO, ditzy Lucy just ran a number on this newsgroup. Dang, I fell for
>> it. What about y'all?
>>
>> Pam

> I wouldn't know. Lucy became a celebrated member of my killfile after her
> 2nd post.
>
> Wayne

Dang, I feel so used, know what I mean? Obviously, I've not been abused
enough! Seriously, why did you all play along with that piece of c&*p?

I'm just asking for my own edification. I've not been posting for some
years, and I need to be brought up to date so I don't continue to act like
an idiot.

OK, I'll probably act like an idiot generally. I'd just like to have a
chance---ya, know!?

Pam

Damsel

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:37:18 GMT, "Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby" <pjjehg
@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>Dang, I feel so used, know what I mean? Obviously, I've not been abused
>enough! Seriously, why did you all play along with that piece of c&*p?
>
>I'm just asking for my own edification. I've not been posting for some
>years, and I need to be brought up to date so I don't continue to act like
>an idiot.
>
>OK, I'll probably act like an idiot generally. I'd just like to have a
>chance---ya, know!?

It took me awhile, too. It's okay. Everyone has their own special point
of no return. You just have a bigger heart than some of us.

Carol

Nancy Young

"Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby" <pjjehg @frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Well, lovely non-cooking Lucy really had us going didn't she? She said
> she has a Phd, but she never answered as to what; her answer was that that
> she had an MD in general surgery. (say what?!)
>
> IMHO, ditzy Lucy just ran a number on this newsgroup. Dang, I fell for
> it. What about y'all?

For whatever reason, she set off my troll warning from her first post. I
can't
put my finger on it, I just watched to see if I was wrong. Whatcha gonna
do,
you have to take people at face value sometimes, it's not your fault. But I
did miss the Phd thing.

nancy

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Ed Grabau and Pam
Jacoby" <pjjehg @frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Well, lovely non-cooking Lucy really had us going didn't she? She
> said she has a Phd, but she never answered as to what; her answer was
> that that she had an MD in general surgery. (say what?!)
>
> IMHO, ditzy Lucy just ran a number on this newsgroup. Dang, I fell
> for it. What about y'all?

> Pam

I believed it for a while. My antenna flew up when it didn't know what
a pound sign is. They lit up when it talked about posting for some huge
number ofyears. I'm thinking that its attitude about posting any way it
jolly well pleases just didn't jibe with posting for a bunch of years.

Re the MD thing: Are you sure, Pam. She said, "It is really quite
pathetic that- a gal with a post graduate degree cannot seem to get
three simple dishes -all done at the same time! ". I said Rob has a
PhD in Engineering. I said she should approach the whole cooking thing
the way she approached getting a Master's Degree. She said, "Medicine,
from UAMS. General surgery. Yes, I'm an Arkansan, -and a cut-up.
(Pun intended). " I wouldn't let it break a blister on me -- general
surgery - ri-i-i-ight. Those quotes are not necessarily in order and
I may have missed what you're saying she said.)

I hope it won the bet it had with whomever. I was hoping one of the
geeks on board could come up with some identification.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Winter Carnival ice sculpture pics
added 1-30-05.

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright wrote in message
> > On Sun 30 Jan 2005 12:53:26a, Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby wrote in
> > rec.food.cooking:

> >> IMHO, ditzy Lucy just ran a number on this newsgroup. Dang, I

fell for
> >> it. What about y'all?
> >>
> >> Dang, I feel so used, know what I mean? Obviously, I've not been

abused
> enough! Seriously, why did you all play along with that piece of

c&*p?

I don't post much at all so it wasn't difficult not to respond to Lucy.
:-)
Seriously, tho, I suspected Lucy was a troll from the first post.
Underlying her posts were a pretty fierce hostility and what struck me
as a deliberate attempt to mock and antagonize regular rfc posters. I
guess my general posture is "wait and see" if someone, male or female,
swashbuckles into the newsgroup.

Mac

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Jan 2005 06:00:40p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby wrote:
>> "Wayne Boatwright wrote in message
>> > On Sun 30 Jan 2005 12:53:26a, Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby wrote in
>> > rec.food.cooking:

> I don't post much at all so it wasn't difficult not to respond to Lucy.
>:-)
> Seriously, tho, I suspected Lucy was a troll from the first post.
> Underlying her posts were a pretty fierce hostility and what struck me
> as a deliberate attempt to mock and antagonize regular rfc posters. I
> guess my general posture is "wait and see" if someone, male or female,
> swashbuckles into the newsgroup.
>
> Mac

It immediately seemed odd to me that a new poster would literally flood the
newsgroup with posts and replies, neither knowing anyone here nor caring to
become acquainted. It struck me as diarrhea of the mouth.

Wayne

zxcvbob

Rhonda Anderson wrote:

> I've never seen any symbol used here to denote pounds.

£

HTH, :-)
Bob
Leila

I missed something -- the threads got too long. What decided everybody
that "Lucy" was troll, not just an exuberant, arrogant MD as claimed?
What was this about the Ph.D?

Ob Food:

The birthday party for the 5 year old went off well, although we had
too much food. (This isn't a problem). I made potato salad from
scratch, using a recipe. I'm out of practice with potato salad and
wanted to get it right - always did it by instinct before, but the last
time I made American style potato salad was sometime in the 80s. Adding
mustard to the mayo was presented as an option in the recipe, and in
the frenzy I just forgot it. Missed the flavor. Hubby asked why not add
it in after but you really have to get a small bit of mustard well
mixed into the large quantity of mayo. It was still pretty darned good
potato salad. Think I'll get me some right now.

COld cuts were hormone & antibiotic free roast turkey, roast beef and
ham. (Thank you, Niman Ranch and Diestel!) Also a large selection of
cheeses. My dad brought tabbouli and a new dip that's like baba
ghanoush but made with cauliflower, not eggplant. The dip was a big
hit, even with the picky 3 year old. I'll try to get a recipe.
One of the moms is Indian and brought an enormous tray, basically a
foil roasting pan, filled with a lovely saffron rice that had peas,
carrots, tiny chilis, cumin seed and other flavorings. She assured me
we could freeze the leftovers, which we did after distributing
quantities to all the relatives. MIL made green goddess and blue cheese
dips for the mounds of crudites. I served up vegetarian chili beans
adapted from a Deborah Madison recipe - these were extraneous, really,
but folks took lots home. Grandma made applesauce cake with cream
cheese icing, Marion Cunningham recipe. In all, a simple but delicious
and variegated menu.

Leila

Rhonda Anderson

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, Rhonda
> Anderson > wrote:
>

>> I've never seen any symbol used here to denote pounds. Of course
>> labelling etc. is in metric. However, even in old recipes I've always
>> just seen "lb" used.

>> Rhonda Anderson
>> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

> Rhonda, when I call my bank -- or darned near anyplace else that uses
> an automated phone system -- the instructions for navigating the
> system will almost always include "followed by the pound sign". It's
> onall the phones. Sorry, luv, but it is inconceivable to me that it
> doesn't know what a pound sign is. Does not compute.

Aah, now I can see why you would expect someone in the US to know that
was a pound sign. Here, the automated phone systems say "followed by the
hash key". That's the only name I've ever heard that key/symbol called
by.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Rhonda Anderson

zxcvbob > wrote in :

> Rhonda Anderson wrote:
>
>> I've never seen any symbol used here to denote pounds.

> £
>
> HTH, :-)
> Bob

Very funny, smartypants <g>

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Michael Odom

On 31 Jan 2005 01:56:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>It immediately seemed odd to me that a new poster would literally flood the
>newsgroup with posts and replies, neither knowing anyone here nor caring to
>become acquainted. It struck me as diarrhea of the mouth.
>
>Wayne

Did you ever read _The Laszlo Letters_? There are certain parallels.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Damsel in dis Dress

On 30 Jan 2005 21:04:24 -0800, "Leila" > wrote:

>I made potato salad from
>scratch, using a recipe. I'm out of practice with potato salad and
>wanted to get it right - always did it by instinct before, but the last
>time I made American style potato salad was sometime in the 80s.

My memory isn't what it used to be, and there are a lot of things I just
toss together. A few years ago, I decided to put my "little of this and
little of that" stuff into bona fide recipe formats in MasterCook. This
includes vegetable beef soup, dilled potato salad, even tuna sandwiches. I
want to make sure that if I'm first to kick off, Crash can still make "my"
food. It also helps me already, because I'm not always able to remember
how I accomplished things in the past.

Does anyone else do this?

Carol

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Jan 2005 11:06:36p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> On 30 Jan 2005 21:04:24 -0800, "Leila" >
> wrote:
>
>>I made potato salad from
>>scratch, using a recipe. I'm out of practice with potato salad and
>>wanted to get it right - always did it by instinct before, but the last
>>time I made American style potato salad was sometime in the 80s.

> My memory isn't what it used to be, and there are a lot of things I just
> toss together. A few years ago, I decided to put my "little of this and
> little of that" stuff into bona fide recipe formats in MasterCook. This
> includes vegetable beef soup, dilled potato salad, even tuna sandwiches.
> I want to make sure that if I'm first to kick off, Crash can still make
> "my" food. It also helps me already, because I'm not always able to
> remember how I accomplished things in the past.
>
> Does anyone else do this?
>
> Carol

Yep, I started doing that a couple of years ago. As I would make
something I liked and refined it to specifics, I entered it into
MasterCook. I've also tried to do that with things my mom "told" me how
to make. Lest I forget why something tasted the way it used to taste, I
can back to the basics.

Wayne
Damsel in dis Dress

On 31 Jan 2005 06:18:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>Yep, I started doing that a couple of years ago. As I would make
>something I liked and refined it to specifics, I entered it into
>MasterCook. I've also tried to do that with things my mom "told" me how
>to make. Lest I forget why something tasted the way it used to taste, I
>can back to the basics.

It's very frustrating when you can't remember, and there's actually a sense
of loss. I'm glad you're benefitting from this practice, too. You're one
of my favorite people.

Carol

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Jan 2005 11:26:27p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 31 Jan 2005 06:18:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>Yep, I started doing that a couple of years ago. As I would make
>>something I liked and refined it to specifics, I entered it into
>>MasterCook. I've also tried to do that with things my mom "told" me how
>>to make. Lest I forget why something tasted the way it used to taste, I
>>can back to the basics.

> It's very frustrating when you can't remember, and there's actually a sense
> of loss. I'm glad you're benefitting from this practice, too. You're one
> of my favorite people.
>
> Carol

As you are one of mine!

Wayne
Damsel in dis Dress

On 31 Jan 2005 06:29:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Sun 30 Jan 2005 11:26:27p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> It's very frustrating when you can't remember, and there's actually a sense
>> of loss. I'm glad you're benefitting from this practice, too. You're one
>> of my favorite people.

>As you are one of mine!

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTCH!
Carol

Hahabogus

Rhonda Anderson > wrote in
.5:

> Aah, now I can see why you would expect someone in the US to know
> that was a pound sign. Here, the automated phone systems say
> "followed by the hash key". That's the only name I've ever heard
> that key/symbol called by.
>
> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

In America the # (Octothorpe) is the shift 3 key combo. In the UK the
shift 3 key combo is the stylized L pound symbol (£). Octothorpe isn't a
comfortable or well known word, hence the name pound sign was invented.
Then somebody said " pound sign ? I guess it's short for lb".

(I made the stuff in the last sentence up.)

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:29:23 GMT, Hahabogus > wrote:

>In America the # (Octothorpe) is the shift 3 key combo. In the UK the
>shift 3 key combo is the stylized L pound symbol (£). Octothorpe isn't a
>comfortable or well known word, hence the name pound sign was invented.
>Then somebody said " pound sign ? I guess it's short for lb".
>
>(I made the stuff in the last sentence up.)

LOL! Yeah, you sure did! <G>

Many of my mother's and grandmother's recipes called for 1# butter, etc.

Anyone have a good recipe for # Cake?

Carol

Janet Bostwick

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sun 30 Jan 2005 11:06:36p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:

snip
.. A few years ago, I decided to put my "little of this and
>> little of that" stuff into bona fide recipe formats in MasterCook. This
>> includes vegetable beef soup, dilled potato salad, even tuna sandwiches.
>> I want to make sure that if I'm first to kick off, Crash can still make
>> "my" food. It also helps me already, because I'm not always able to
>> remember how I accomplished things in the past.
>>
>> Does anyone else do this?
>>
>> Carol

> Yep, I started doing that a couple of years ago. As I would make
> something I liked and refined it to specifics, I entered it into
> MasterCook. I've also tried to do that with things my mom "told" me how
> to make. Lest I forget why something tasted the way it used to taste, I
> can back to the basics.
>
> Wayne

I never thought to write these things up for myself, but it is a brilliant
idea for just the reasons stated.

When I first got married, my mother would send me recipes for "her food" a
couple of times a month. The mailings are really neat stuff. They are
dated, typed on stationery from my dad's business and obviously hunt and
peck typing. It is the housewifely hints that are fun. She recommends
shopping for produce late on Saturday afternoon because the prices will be
marked down on bananas, peaches etc. Prices were marked down because all
stores were closed from 6 p.m. Saturday until 8 am. Monday and the produce
would spoil during that time. She references things like 'get a ten-cent
soup bone.' I've used these recipes off and on for 40 years and finally
this winter I put them all in sheet protectors.

My married daughter has most of 'my food,' as a result of requests over the
years. The format is email, so it won't be as fun for her to think back.

Thanks for the idea about writing stuff down.

Janet

Rhonda Anderson

Hahabogus > wrote in
:

> Rhonda Anderson > wrote in
> .5:
>
>> Aah, now I can see why you would expect someone in the US to know
>> that was a pound sign. Here, the automated phone systems say
>> "followed by the hash key". That's the only name I've ever heard
>> that key/symbol called by.
>>
>> Rhonda Anderson
>> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
>>

> In America the # (Octothorpe) is the shift 3 key combo. In the UK the
> shift 3 key combo is the stylized L pound symbol (£). Octothorpe isn't
> a comfortable or well known word,

"Please enter your credit card number followed by the octothorpe key.."
mmm, guess it doesn't flow quite as well, does it? It's the shift 3 key
combo on our keyboards too.

Thanks for the info.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Dee Randall

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Sun 30 Jan 2005 11:06:36p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:

> snip
> . A few years ago, I decided to put my "little of this and
>>> little of that" stuff into bona fide recipe formats in MasterCook. This
>>> includes vegetable beef soup, dilled potato salad, even tuna sandwiches.
>>> I want to make sure that if I'm first to kick off, Crash can still make
>>> "my" food. It also helps me already, because I'm not always able to
>>> remember how I accomplished things in the past.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else do this?
>>>
>>> Carol

>> Yep, I started doing that a couple of years ago. As I would make
>> something I liked and refined it to specifics, I entered it into
>> MasterCook. I've also tried to do that with things my mom "told" me how
>> to make. Lest I forget why something tasted the way it used to taste, I
>> can back to the basics.
>>
>> Wayne

> I never thought to write these things up for myself, but it is a brilliant
> idea for just the reasons stated.
>
> When I first got married, my mother would send me recipes for "her food" a
> couple of times a month. The mailings are really neat stuff. They are
> dated, typed on stationery from my dad's business and obviously hunt and
> peck typing. It is the housewifely hints that are fun. She recommends
> shopping for produce late on Saturday afternoon because the prices will be
> marked down on bananas, peaches etc. Prices were marked down because all
> stores were closed from 6 p.m. Saturday until 8 am. Monday and the produce
> would spoil during that time. She references things like 'get a ten-cent
> soup bone.' I've used these recipes off and on for 40 years and finally
> this winter I put them all in sheet protectors.
>
> My married daughter has most of 'my food,' as a result of requests over
> the years. The format is email, so it won't be as fun for her to think
> back.
>
> Thanks for the idea about writing stuff down.
>
> Janet

Janet, my husband received 3 hand-written recipe books of his grandmother's
(b. 1885). The recipes have different names, like "Mrs. Cherry's New
England Chowder," etc. He is scanning/has scanned these and saving in two
formats. One format: in a .pdf file and one source on a DVD. At Christmas
time we sent CD's to cousins. The CDs contained photos, marriage
certificates, important papers in their lives, and recipes. The cousins
loved them. This is a good way to preserve recipes, sending a CD of the
recipes to various members of the family.
Dee

Janet Bostwick

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
snip>
> Janet, my husband received 3 hand-written recipe books of his
> grandmother's (b. 1885). The recipes have different names, like "Mrs.
> Cherry's New England Chowder," etc. He is scanning/has scanned these and
> saving in two formats. One format: in a .pdf file and one source on a
> DVD. At Christmas time we sent CD's to cousins. The CDs contained photos,
> marriage certificates, important papers in their lives, and recipes. The
> cousins loved them. This is a good way to preserve recipes, sending a CD
> of the recipes to various members of the family.
> Dee

Good idea, Dee. I'd considered scanning but hadn't thought far enough ahead
to sharing.
Thanks
Janet

Goomba38

Dee Randall wrote:
He is scanning/has scanned these and saving in
two
> formats. One format: in a .pdf file and one source on a DVD. At Christmas
> time we sent CD's to cousins. The CDs contained photos, marriage
> certificates, important papers in their lives, and recipes. The cousins
> loved them. This is a good way to preserve recipes, sending a CD of the
> recipes to various members of the family.
> Dee

From what I've been hearing, CD's aren't a very
good long term storage medium. I heard or read
something saying the coating degrades or
something. Anyone know for sure??
Goomba

kilikini

Goomba38 wrote:
> Dee Randall wrote:
> He is scanning/has scanned these and saving in
> two
>> formats. One format: in a .pdf file and one source on a DVD. At
>> Christmas time we sent CD's to cousins. The CDs contained photos,
>> marriage certificates, important papers in their lives, and recipes.
>> The cousins loved them. This is a good way to preserve recipes,
>> sending a CD of the recipes to various members of the family.
>> Dee

> From what I've been hearing, CD's aren't a very
> good long term storage medium. I heard or read
> something saying the coating degrades or
> something. Anyone know for sure??
> Goomba

Yep, the coating does come off, but particularly in humid climates. It
starts by a black round shape on the top of the CD, which then peels off and
spreads. You end up with a see-thru CD. It's really weird!

kili

Dee Randall

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
> He is scanning/has scanned these and saving in two
>> formats. One format: in a .pdf file and one source on a DVD. At
>> Christmas time we sent CD's to cousins. The CDs contained photos,
>> marriage certificates, important papers in their lives, and recipes. The
>> cousins loved them. This is a good way to preserve recipes, sending a CD
>> of the recipes to various members of the family.
>> Dee

> From what I've been hearing, CD's aren't a very good long term storage
> medium. I heard or read something saying the coating degrades or
> something. Anyone know for sure??
> Goomba

Dee Randall

"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>> He is scanning/has scanned these and saving in
>> two
>>> formats. One format: in a .pdf file and one source on a DVD. At
>>> Christmas time we sent CD's to cousins. The CDs contained photos,
>>> marriage certificates, important papers in their lives, and recipes.
>>> The cousins loved them. This is a good way to preserve recipes,
>>> sending a CD of the recipes to various members of the family.
>>> Dee

>> From what I've been hearing, CD's aren't a very
>> good long term storage medium. I heard or read
>> something saying the coating degrades or
>> something. Anyone know for sure??
>> Goomba

> Yep, the coating does come off, but particularly in humid climates. It
> starts by a black round shape on the top of the CD, which then peels off
> and
> spreads. You end up with a see-thru CD. It's really weird!
>
> kili

There still is much controversy about this, just as there is about using a
marker to mark on the CD.
One thing about distributing CD's to various members of the family, there
are some members that believe in hard copies and will print things out, thus
keeping things in the family longer; and then round-robin, when the next
archival technology comes along, that member or their descendants might
copy it to whatever technology is currently available. All is not lost. I
find that not doing anything is worse. CD's might not be the best way, but
when people's estates get settled, many descendants who inherit are glad to
get rid of papers, computer archival material and whatever. But there will
be a couple here and there that find the value in keeping their ancestors'
papers widely distributed.
Dee

Janet Bostwick

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
> He is scanning/has scanned these and saving in two
>> formats. One format: in a .pdf file and one source on a DVD. At
>> Christmas time we sent CD's to cousins. The CDs contained photos,
>> marriage certificates, important papers in their lives, and recipes. The
>> cousins loved them. This is a good way to preserve recipes, sending a CD
>> of the recipes to various members of the family.
>> Dee

> From what I've been hearing, CD's aren't a very good long term storage
> medium. I heard or read something saying the coating degrades or
> something. Anyone know for sure??
> Goomba

I think I also read that they can get a "crackled" surface due to humidity
or changing humidity(move from one place to another.)
Janet

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:06:36 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>My memory isn't what it used to be, and there are a lot of things I just
>toss together. A few years ago, I decided to put my "little of this and
>little of that" stuff into bona fide recipe formats in MasterCook. This
>includes vegetable beef soup, dilled potato salad, even tuna sandwiches. I
>want to make sure that if I'm first to kick off, Crash can still make "my"
>food. It also helps me already, because I'm not always able to remember
>how I accomplished things in the past.
>
>Does anyone else do this?

Yesandno. I initially labored long and hard to cull my library of
recipes - including the old standbys from cookbooks - of the recipes
my family loved, inputting them into MasterCook. I then "published"
them into a booklet for my nuclear family. Since then, I've just kept
adding to the cookbook as I find "keepers." And I've graduated to Now
You're Cooking! which I like better than MC - has a great screen
import feature that makes importing online recipes a snap.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Sunrat

@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Well, lovely non-cooking Lucy really had us going didn't she?

Nope. She landed in my kf early on. She essentially stated that anyone who
takes the time to put together a good meal is lacking something in life. IME,
good food & drink, shared with good company, is one of the many pleasures of
life. Here's hoping Lucy will learn this as she approaches adulthood.

> She said she has a Phd, but she never answered as to what; her answer was
> that that she had an MD in general surgery. (say what?!)

Red flag. Whenever a noob starts in with his/her supposed level of education,
put-downs of others are sure to follow. Even more amusing, said noob will
usually write at an elementary level, and exhibit childishly rebellious
behavior when politely advised of certain protocols -- in this case, why
top-posting is inappropriate. Lucy, obviously, is not a product of higher
education.

Kinda reminds me of "Laura - the Happy Wife" (and I'd append 'Lyman' to that)
who also became belligerent over something similar, and declared herself an
engineer who knew so much more that the rest of us. When an actual software
engineer responded, she was outta here.

> IMHO, ditzy Lucy just ran a number on this newsgroup. Dang, I fell for it.
> What about y'all?

Please don't be so hard on yourself. You were just trying to be a good netizen.
It is appreciated.

sf

On 30 Jan 2005 21:04:24 -0800, "Leila"
> wrote:

> What decided everybody
> that "Lucy" was troll, not just an exuberant, arrogant MD as claimed?
> What was this about the Ph.D?

Jeeze, you read a lot more "Lucy" than than I did... I
didn't read she claimed to be a surgeon - I only read when
someone else said she claimed it.

sf
sf

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:25:14 GMT, Rhonda Anderson
> wrote:

> Aah, now I can see why you would expect someone in the US to know that
> was a pound sign. Here, the automated phone systems say "followed by the
> hash key". That's the only name I've ever heard that key/symbol called
> by.

We call it a "hash" mark too. It depends on the situation.

sf