Stark

Default Impulse purchase

Bought a small marrow bone surrounded by a pound of meat. Very
attractive packaging, but what to do with it?

I'm guessing a base for vegetable soup. Anything else?

And if I brown the meat, should I also brown the bone or just toss it
in the pot?
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Jan 2005 05:55:09a, Stark wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Bought a small marrow bone surrounded by a pound of meat. Very
> attractive packaging, but what to do with it?
>
> I'm guessing a base for vegetable soup. Anything else?
>
> And if I brown the meat, should I also brown the bone or just toss it
> in the pot?

I would brown the bone as well.

Wayne
Steve Calvin

Stark wrote:
> Bought a small marrow bone surrounded by a pound of meat. Very
> attractive packaging, but what to do with it?
>
> I'm guessing a base for vegetable soup. Anything else?
>
> And if I brown the meat, should I also brown the bone or just toss it
> in the pot?

Yup, sounds like you scored an old time soup bone. Personally I think
that the best use for it would be to brown it well on all sides with the
bone and do a veggie/beef soup.

hmmm... I haven't done that for a while... <ding, on goes the light ;-) >

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Katra

In article >, Stark >
wrote:

> Bought a small marrow bone surrounded by a pound of meat. Very
> attractive packaging, but what to do with it?
>
> I'm guessing a base for vegetable soup. Anything else?
>
> And if I brown the meat, should I also brown the bone or just toss it
> in the pot?

I'd roast it prior to making soup......
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Stark >
wrote:

> Bought a small marrow bone surrounded by a pound of meat. Very
> attractive packaging, but what to do with it?
>
> I'm guessing a base for vegetable soup. Anything else?
>
> And if I brown the meat, should I also brown the bone or just toss it
> in the pot?

I also brown the whole piece (bone intact) and cook it intact for the
broth. Then I slip the marrow onto a piece of bread and schmear it
around and maybe sprinkle a little salt on it before eating.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.

Peter Aitken

"Stark" > wrote in message
> Bought a small marrow bone surrounded by a pound of meat. Very
> attractive packaging, but what to do with it?
>
> I'm guessing a base for vegetable soup. Anything else?
>
> And if I brown the meat, should I also brown the bone or just toss it
> in the pot?

If it's a real marrow bone then the goal is to eat the marrow, which is a
real treat. I suggest browning the whole thing, using it for soup as you
suggest, then taking it out and eating the marrow.

--
Peter Aitken

Bob

Peter wrote:

> If it's a real marrow bone then the goal is to eat the marrow, which is a
> real treat. I suggest browning the whole thing, using it for soup as you
> suggest, then taking it out and eating the marrow.

A week from tonight, I'll be going to dinner in San Francisco. The
restaurant's menu is online, so I looked it over and decided that the entree
I intend to order is "Bone Marrow Crusted Black Cod, with hedgehogs, black
truffles, sauce de poisson." I love bone marrow, but I never would have
thought about using it in that way. It sounds really good,though. (BTW,
anybody know what they might mean by "hedgehogs"?)

Bob

Trisha Toyota

On 27 Jan 2005 00:23:15 -0600, "Bob" >
wrote:

>Peter wrote:
>
>> If it's a real marrow bone then the goal is to eat the marrow, which is a
>> real treat. I suggest browning the whole thing, using it for soup as you
>> suggest, then taking it out and eating the marrow.

>A week from tonight, I'll be going to dinner in San Francisco. The
>restaurant's menu is online, so I looked it over and decided that the entree
>I intend to order is "Bone Marrow Crusted Black Cod, with hedgehogs, black
>truffles, sauce de poisson." I love bone marrow, but I never would have
>thought about using it in that way. It sounds really good,though. (BTW,
>anybody know what they might mean by "hedgehogs"?)
>
>Bob

<delurk>

Could be hedgehog mushrooms.

http://www.mssf.org/cookbook/hedgehog.html

</delurk>

Bob

Trisha wrote:

>> "Bone Marrow Crusted Black Cod, with hedgehogs, black truffles, sauce de
>> poisson."

<snip>
>>(BTW, anybody know what they might mean by "hedgehogs"?)

> <delurk>
>
> Could be hedgehog mushrooms.
>
> http://www.mssf.org/cookbook/hedgehog.html
>
> </delurk>

"The hedgehog mushroom has been described by some as having a mild
chanterelle flavor"

Reading the description on the web page you provided, I *hope* that's what
the menu meant!

Thanks, Trisha!

Bob