Cherrybounce

Default You must must try this apple martini from the Four Seasons

I have had apple martinis before and never thought them a big deal, but
my husband and I stayed in the Four Seasons in Houston recently and
theirs is to die for. My husband said it is the best "lady's drink"
he's ever had.

This is the recipe the bartender gave me:

2 parts Citadelle apple vodka (you must use this brand)
2 parts Midori melon liqueur (don't be put off by this)
1 part Triple Sec
1 or 2 parts homemade sweet and sour mix (they use lemon juice, lime
juice, and a little orange juice he said and probably simple syrup -
but I don't know for sure the measurements - you can probably wing it a
little)

Unusual and scrumptious.

Dave Smith

Cherrybounce wrote:

> I have had apple martinis before and never thought them a big deal, but
> my husband and I stayed in the Four Seasons in Houston recently and
> theirs is to die for. My husband said it is the best "lady's drink"
> he's ever had.
>
> This is the recipe the bartender gave me:
>
> 2 parts Citadelle apple vodka (you must use this brand)
> 2 parts Midori melon liqueur (don't be put off by this)
> 1 part Triple Sec
> 1 or 2 parts homemade sweet and sour mix (they use lemon juice, lime
> juice, and a little orange juice he said and probably simple syrup -
> but I don't know for sure the measurements - you can probably wing it a
> little)

Your husband it right. It does sound like a ladies drink. Why do they call
it a martini?

Peter Aitken

"Cherrybounce" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have had apple martinis before and never thought them a big deal, but
> my husband and I stayed in the Four Seasons in Houston recently and
> theirs is to die for. My husband said it is the best "lady's drink"
> he's ever had.
>
> This is the recipe the bartender gave me:
>
> 2 parts Citadelle apple vodka (you must use this brand)
> 2 parts Midori melon liqueur (don't be put off by this)
> 1 part Triple Sec
> 1 or 2 parts homemade sweet and sour mix (they use lemon juice, lime
> juice, and a little orange juice he said and probably simple syrup -
> but I don't know for sure the measurements - you can probably wing it a
> little)
>

> Unusual and scrumptious.

I am about to holler so you may want to cover your ears.

FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT CALL THIS A MARTINI!! A MARTINI IS GIN AND VERMOUTH
AND IS DRY AND THIS CONTAINS NEITHER AND IS SWEET SO WHY CALL IT A MARTINI?

End of hollering.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Cherrybounce" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have had apple martinis before and never thought them a big deal, but
> my husband and I stayed in the Four Seasons in Houston recently and
> theirs is to die for. My husband said it is the best "lady's drink"
> he's ever had.
>
> This is the recipe the bartender gave me:
>
> 2 parts Citadelle apple vodka (you must use this brand)
> 2 parts Midori melon liqueur (don't be put off by this)
> 1 part Triple Sec
> 1 or 2 parts homemade sweet and sour mix (they use lemon juice, lime
> juice, and a little orange juice he said and probably simple syrup -
> but I don't know for sure the measurements - you can probably wing it a
> little)
>

> Unusual and scrumptious.

I am about to holler so you may want to cover your ears.

FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT CALL THIS A MARTINI!! A MARTINI IS GIN AND VERMOUTH
AND IS DRY AND THIS CONTAINS NEITHER AND IS SWEET SO WHY CALL IT A MARTINI?

End of hollering.

--
Peter Aitken

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 03:20:23p, Cherrybounce tittered and giggled, and
giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> I have had apple martinis before and never thought them a big deal, but
> my husband and I stayed in the Four Seasons in Houston recently and
> theirs is to die for. My husband said it is the best "lady's drink"
> he's ever had.
>
> This is the recipe the bartender gave me:
>
> 2 parts Citadelle apple vodka (you must use this brand)
> 2 parts Midori melon liqueur (don't be put off by this)
> 1 part Triple Sec
> 1 or 2 parts homemade sweet and sour mix (they use lemon juice, lime
> juice, and a little orange juice he said and probably simple syrup -
> but I don't know for sure the measurements - you can probably wing it a
> little)
>

> Unusual and scrumptious.

Unusual and scrumptious, maybe, but _not_ a martini. There should be a law
governing what can be called a martini. I'm not even sure vodka should
qualify! <G>

What you had was a fruit punch, pure and simple.

Wayne

notbob

On 2005-01-13, Dave Smith > wrote:

> It does sound like a ladies drink. Why do they call
> it a martini?

Gen X'rs hijacked the term because "frou-frou candy-ass cocktail"
doesn't sound cool.

nb
notbob

On 2005-01-13, Dave Smith > wrote:

> It does sound like a ladies drink. Why do they call
> it a martini?

Gen X'rs hijacked the term because "frou-frou candy-ass cocktail"
doesn't sound cool.

nb
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 04:06:37p, notbob tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 2005-01-13, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> It does sound like a ladies drink. Why do they call it a martini?

> Gen X'rs hijacked the term because "frou-frou candy-ass cocktail"
> doesn't sound cool.
>
> nb

Too, bad...it suits them!

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 04:06:37p, notbob tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 2005-01-13, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> It does sound like a ladies drink. Why do they call it a martini?

> Gen X'rs hijacked the term because "frou-frou candy-ass cocktail"
> doesn't sound cool.
>
> nb

Too, bad...it suits them!

Wayne
rmg

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> Unusual and scrumptious, maybe, but _not_ a martini. There should be a
> law
> governing what can be called a martini. I'm not even sure vodka should
> qualify! <G>
>
> What you had was a fruit punch, pure and simple.

I have a friend who makes something like this and he calls it an
"Apple-tini" which I think is a cute name.

I think more than one of those would have me hurling though.

sign me,

out of shape

rmg

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> Unusual and scrumptious, maybe, but _not_ a martini. There should be a
> law
> governing what can be called a martini. I'm not even sure vodka should
> qualify! <G>
>
> What you had was a fruit punch, pure and simple.

I have a friend who makes something like this and he calls it an
"Apple-tini" which I think is a cute name.

I think more than one of those would have me hurling though.

sign me,

out of shape

Jessica V.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 04:06:37p, notbob tittered and giggled, and giggled and
> tittered, and finally blurted out...
>

>>On 2005-01-13, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>

>>>It does sound like a ladies drink. Why do they call it a martini?

>>Gen X'rs hijacked the term because "frou-frou candy-ass cocktail"
>>doesn't sound cool.
>>
>>nb
>>

> Too, bad...it suits them!
>
> Wayne

If it's served in a cocktail glass it's a martini, them's the rules now.
A lot of old shots are "martini's" now, go figure. Now to go fix
myself a crown royal martini.

Jessica
Jessica V.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 04:06:37p, notbob tittered and giggled, and giggled and
> tittered, and finally blurted out...
>

>>On 2005-01-13, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>

>>>It does sound like a ladies drink. Why do they call it a martini?

>>Gen X'rs hijacked the term because "frou-frou candy-ass cocktail"
>>doesn't sound cool.
>>
>>nb
>>

> Too, bad...it suits them!
>
> Wayne

If it's served in a cocktail glass it's a martini, them's the rules now.
A lot of old shots are "martini's" now, go figure. Now to go fix
myself a crown royal martini.

Jessica
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 06:46:15p, Jessica V. tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 04:06:37p, notbob tittered and giggled, and giggled
>> and tittered, and finally blurted out...

>>>Gen X'rs hijacked the term because "frou-frou candy-ass cocktail"
>>>doesn't sound cool.
>>>
>>>nb
>>>

>> Too, bad...it suits them!
>>
>> Wayne

> If it's served in a cocktail glass it's a martini, them's the rules now.
> A lot of old shots are "martini's" now, go figure. Now to go fix
> myself a crown royal martini.
>
> Jessica

Mebbe so, but it's a sad statement on our times! :-( In our house, or
places we frequent, a martini is gin and vermouth...period.

I'll never be guilty of patronizing one of the new "martini bars". :-)

Wayne
zxcvbob

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Unusual and scrumptious, maybe, but _not_ a martini. There should be a law
> governing what can be called a martini. I'm not even sure vodka should
> qualify! <G>

Vodka is OK if you call it a "vokda martini". No other spirits are
allowed to use the work "martini", not even white rum (and vermouth.)
If you wanna get creative, you use different garnishes.

Bob

Peter Aitken

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-01-13, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> It does sound like a ladies drink. Why do they call
>> it a martini?

> Gen X'rs hijacked the term because "frou-frou candy-ass cocktail"
> doesn't sound cool.
>
> nb

LOL! Remember a while back someone was pushing a "martini" that had
chocolate in it?

--
Peter Aitken

notbob

On 2005-01-14, Jessica V. > wrote:

> If it's served in a cocktail glass it's a martini, them's the rules now.

Not so. A cocktail is a mixed drink. There are all kinds of cocktail
glasses. Margarita, highball, collins, old fashioned, colada, whiskey sour,
etc. Granted, the cone shaped martini glass has been associated with a few
other drinks, but they've all been typically variations of the gin martini,
like the gibson, gimlet, vodka martini. Obviously, things have evolved. In
the last 10 years, everything from grasshoppers to chocolate milkshakes are
being served in a martini glass. As a geezer, I deplore it. Shows no class
....no glass class. But, I be damned if I'll lose any sleep over it. Think
I'll have a brandy and water in a whiskey glass, instead.

nb

notbob

On 2005-01-14, Jessica V. > wrote:

> If it's served in a cocktail glass it's a martini, them's the rules now.

Not so. A cocktail is a mixed drink. There are all kinds of cocktail
glasses. Margarita, highball, collins, old fashioned, colada, whiskey sour,
etc. Granted, the cone shaped martini glass has been associated with a few
other drinks, but they've all been typically variations of the gin martini,
like the gibson, gimlet, vodka martini. Obviously, things have evolved. In
the last 10 years, everything from grasshoppers to chocolate milkshakes are
being served in a martini glass. As a geezer, I deplore it. Shows no class
....no glass class. But, I be damned if I'll lose any sleep over it. Think
I'll have a brandy and water in a whiskey glass, instead.

nb

Dave Smith

"Jessica V." wrote:

> If it's served in a cocktail glass it's a martini, them's the rules now.
> A lot of old shots are "martini's" now, go figure. Now to go fix
> myself a crown royal martini.

How about a Budweiser martini? Bud in a martini glass :-)

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:05:36p, zxcvbob tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Unusual and scrumptious, maybe, but _not_ a martini. There should be a
>> law governing what can be called a martini. I'm not even sure vodka
>> should qualify! <G>
>>

> Vodka is OK if you call it a "vokda martini". No other spirits are
> allowed to use the work "martini", not even white rum (and vermouth.)
> If you wanna get creative, you use different garnishes.
>
> Bob

Okay, I'll give you that. I just happen to not like vodka...for anything.
Must be genetic, but it all tastes terrible to me, regardless of brand or
quality.

My favorite martinis? Gin (various brands), of course, and either with
olives or as a gibson with onions.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:24:58p, notbob tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 2005-01-14, Jessica V. > wrote:
>
>> If it's served in a cocktail glass it's a martini, them's the rules
>> now.

> Not so. A cocktail is a mixed drink. There are all kinds of cocktail
> glasses. Margarita, highball, collins, old fashioned, colada, whiskey
> sour, etc. Granted, the cone shaped martini glass has been associated
> with a few other drinks, but they've all been typically variations of
> the gin martini, like the gibson, gimlet, vodka martini. Obviously,
> things have evolved. In the last 10 years, everything from grasshoppers
> to chocolate milkshakes are being served in a martini glass. As a
> geezer, I deplore it. Shows no class ...no glass class. But, I be
> damned if I'll lose any sleep over it. Think I'll have a brandy and
> water in a whiskey glass, instead.
>
> nb

I won't lose sleep over it, either. I prefer my martini or gibson in a
double old-fashioned over rocks. I'd like the taste straight up, but it
just doesn't stay cold enough for me.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:24:58p, notbob tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 2005-01-14, Jessica V. > wrote:
>
>> If it's served in a cocktail glass it's a martini, them's the rules
>> now.

> Not so. A cocktail is a mixed drink. There are all kinds of cocktail
> glasses. Margarita, highball, collins, old fashioned, colada, whiskey
> sour, etc. Granted, the cone shaped martini glass has been associated
> with a few other drinks, but they've all been typically variations of
> the gin martini, like the gibson, gimlet, vodka martini. Obviously,
> things have evolved. In the last 10 years, everything from grasshoppers
> to chocolate milkshakes are being served in a martini glass. As a
> geezer, I deplore it. Shows no class ...no glass class. But, I be
> damned if I'll lose any sleep over it. Think I'll have a brandy and
> water in a whiskey glass, instead.
>
> nb

I won't lose sleep over it, either. I prefer my martini or gibson in a
double old-fashioned over rocks. I'd like the taste straight up, but it
just doesn't stay cold enough for me.

Wayne

zxcvbob

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:05:36p, zxcvbob tittered and giggled, and giggled
> and tittered, and finally blurted out...
>

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>>Unusual and scrumptious, maybe, but _not_ a martini. There should be a
>>>law governing what can be called a martini. I'm not even sure vodka
>>>should qualify! <G>
>>>

>>Vodka is OK if you call it a "vokda martini". No other spirits are
>>allowed to use the work "martini", not even white rum (and vermouth.)
>>If you wanna get creative, you use different garnishes.
>>
>>Bob
>>

> Okay, I'll give you that. I just happen to not like vodka...for anything.
> Must be genetic, but it all tastes terrible to me, regardless of brand or
> quality.
>
> My favorite martinis? Gin (various brands), of course, and either with
> olives or as a gibson with onions.
>
> Wayne

I don't like martinis at all. That's not the point.

There's some kind of Russian (maybe Polish) vodka I bought a few years
ago in a ridiculously tall bottle, onion shaped like a Russian Orthodox
church dome. That vodka tasted very good as straight shots if you
stored the bottle in the deep freezer (or outside tonight cuz it's gonna
drop to -15 F.)

Cheap vodka is kind of harsh even when it's super-chilled.

Vodka is so highly distilled I don't understand why it doesn't all taste
the same.

My spirit of choice lately is Seagram's gin, mixed with tonic or Fresca,
but I might have a brandy or a whiskey tonight because it's so cold.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:05:36p, zxcvbob tittered and giggled, and giggled
> and tittered, and finally blurted out...
>

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>>Unusual and scrumptious, maybe, but _not_ a martini. There should be a
>>>law governing what can be called a martini. I'm not even sure vodka
>>>should qualify! <G>
>>>

>>Vodka is OK if you call it a "vokda martini". No other spirits are
>>allowed to use the work "martini", not even white rum (and vermouth.)
>>If you wanna get creative, you use different garnishes.
>>
>>Bob
>>

> Okay, I'll give you that. I just happen to not like vodka...for anything.
> Must be genetic, but it all tastes terrible to me, regardless of brand or
> quality.
>
> My favorite martinis? Gin (various brands), of course, and either with
> olives or as a gibson with onions.
>
> Wayne

I don't like martinis at all. That's not the point.

There's some kind of Russian (maybe Polish) vodka I bought a few years
ago in a ridiculously tall bottle, onion shaped like a Russian Orthodox
church dome. That vodka tasted very good as straight shots if you
stored the bottle in the deep freezer (or outside tonight cuz it's gonna
drop to -15 F.)

Cheap vodka is kind of harsh even when it's super-chilled.

Vodka is so highly distilled I don't understand why it doesn't all taste
the same.

My spirit of choice lately is Seagram's gin, mixed with tonic or Fresca,
but I might have a brandy or a whiskey tonight because it's so cold.

Best regards,
Bob
Goomba38

Jessica V. wrote:

> If it's served in a cocktail glass it's a martini, them's the rules now.
> A lot of old shots are "martini's" now, go figure. Now to go fix
> myself a crown royal martini.
>
> Jessica

That sounds so "affected". As new money can be
nouveau riche... highjacking classic names for new
drinks sounds sort of... nouveau low class. IMO.
Goomba

Goomba38

Jessica V. wrote:

> If it's served in a cocktail glass it's a martini, them's the rules now.
> A lot of old shots are "martini's" now, go figure. Now to go fix
> myself a crown royal martini.
>
> Jessica

That sounds so "affected". As new money can be
nouveau riche... highjacking classic names for new
drinks sounds sort of... nouveau low class. IMO.
Goomba

Goomba38

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Okay, I'll give you that. I just happen to not like vodka...for anything.
> Must be genetic, but it all tastes terrible to me, regardless of brand or
> quality.
>
> My favorite martinis? Gin (various brands), of course, and either with
> olives or as a gibson with onions.
>
> Wayne

Oooh.. I just had some great chocolates filled
with Finlandia Vodka that the hubster picked up at
the commissary (they sell liquor filled chocolates
every christmas season. Merry! Merry!)
They had a nice kick to 'em. I shared some at work
(heheheheheheh) I liked that vodka very much
Goomba

Goomba38

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Okay, I'll give you that. I just happen to not like vodka...for anything.
> Must be genetic, but it all tastes terrible to me, regardless of brand or
> quality.
>
> My favorite martinis? Gin (various brands), of course, and either with
> olives or as a gibson with onions.
>
> Wayne

Oooh.. I just had some great chocolates filled
with Finlandia Vodka that the hubster picked up at
the commissary (they sell liquor filled chocolates
every christmas season. Merry! Merry!)
They had a nice kick to 'em. I shared some at work
(heheheheheheh) I liked that vodka very much
Goomba

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 08:38:41p, Goomba38 tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'll give you that. I just happen to not like vodka...for
>> anything. Must be genetic, but it all tastes terrible to me,
>> regardless of brand or quality.
>>
>> My favorite martinis? Gin (various brands), of course, and either with
>> olives or as a gibson with onions.
>>
>> Wayne

> Oooh.. I just had some great chocolates filled
> with Finlandia Vodka that the hubster picked up at
> the commissary (they sell liquor filled chocolates
> every christmas season. Merry! Merry!)
> They had a nice kick to 'em. I shared some at work
> (heheheheheheh) I liked that vodka very much
> Goomba

The idea sounds good. As I said, houwever, I think I must be genetically
predisposed to vodka tasting terrible, something like how some people think
fresh coriander leaves taste like soap.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 08:38:41p, Goomba38 tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'll give you that. I just happen to not like vodka...for
>> anything. Must be genetic, but it all tastes terrible to me,
>> regardless of brand or quality.
>>
>> My favorite martinis? Gin (various brands), of course, and either with
>> olives or as a gibson with onions.
>>
>> Wayne

> Oooh.. I just had some great chocolates filled
> with Finlandia Vodka that the hubster picked up at
> the commissary (they sell liquor filled chocolates
> every christmas season. Merry! Merry!)
> They had a nice kick to 'em. I shared some at work
> (heheheheheheh) I liked that vodka very much
> Goomba

The idea sounds good. As I said, houwever, I think I must be genetically
predisposed to vodka tasting terrible, something like how some people think
fresh coriander leaves taste like soap.

Wayne

Dave Smith

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > Oooh.. I just had some great chocolates filled
> > with Finlandia Vodka that the hubster picked up at
> > the commissary (they sell liquor filled chocolates
> > every christmas season. Merry! Merry!)
> > They had a nice kick to 'em. I shared some at work
> > (heheheheheheh) I liked that vodka very much
> > Goomba
> >

> The idea sounds good. As I said, houwever, I think I must be genetically
> predisposed to vodka tasting terrible,

Vodka is not bad straight out of the freezer.

> something like how some people think
> fresh coriander leaves taste like soap.

Soap? I think it tastes more like copper. I like it in small doses, but my
wife hates it.

-L.

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-01-13, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > It does sound like a ladies drink. Why do they call
> > it a martini?

> Gen X'rs hijacked the term because "frou-frou candy-ass cocktail"
> doesn't sound cool.
>
> nb

Kinda ****es off us REAL martini drinkers.
-L.
(Tanqueray, straight up, extra dry, two olives)

-L.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I won't lose sleep over it, either. I prefer my martini or gibson in

> double old-fashioned over rocks. I'd like the taste straight up, but

it
> just doesn't stay cold enough for me.
>
> Wayne

Pre-chill the glass and the shaker with ice and soda water for a few
minutes.

-L.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 10:38:44p, -L. tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I won't lose sleep over it, either. I prefer my martini or gibson in
>> a double old-fashioned over rocks. I'd like the taste straight up,
>> but it just doesn't stay cold enough for me.
>>
>> Wayne

> Pre-chill the glass and the shaker with ice and soda water for a few
> minutes.
>
> -L.

I have, on occasion, put the glass and shaker the freezer, and the gin, and
vermouth in the refrigerator before mixing. Works pretty well. But I tend
to sip, and then it warms up. Guess I need to drink faster! <G>

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 10:38:44p, -L. tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I won't lose sleep over it, either. I prefer my martini or gibson in
>> a double old-fashioned over rocks. I'd like the taste straight up,
>> but it just doesn't stay cold enough for me.
>>
>> Wayne

> Pre-chill the glass and the shaker with ice and soda water for a few
> minutes.
>
> -L.

I have, on occasion, put the glass and shaker the freezer, and the gin, and
vermouth in the refrigerator before mixing. Works pretty well. But I tend
to sip, and then it warms up. Guess I need to drink faster! <G>

Wayne

-L.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 10:38:44p, -L. tittered and giggled, and giggled

and
> tittered, and finally blurted out...

> I have, on occasion, put the glass and shaker the freezer, and the

gin, and
> vermouth in the refrigerator before mixing. Works pretty well. But

I tend
> to sip, and then it warms up. Guess I need to drink faster! <G>
>
> Wayne

Not a problem for me, LOL...but they *have to be* ice cold.

-L.

-L.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 10:38:44p, -L. tittered and giggled, and giggled

and
> tittered, and finally blurted out...

> I have, on occasion, put the glass and shaker the freezer, and the

gin, and
> vermouth in the refrigerator before mixing. Works pretty well. But

I tend
> to sip, and then it warms up. Guess I need to drink faster! <G>
>
> Wayne

Not a problem for me, LOL...but they *have to be* ice cold.

-L.

notbob

On 2005-01-14, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Vodka is not bad straight out of the freezer.

Everything is "not bad" straight out of the freezer. The colder it is, the
less flavor it has. It's like:

"Gee, let's buy the smoothest most expensive least flavorful vodka we can
afford and freeze it till our highly developed taste buds are deadened into
inaction and can no longer taste the difference between water and lighter
fluid and then sit around and brag about drinking good vodka!"

Duh!

It's like the new generation of drinkers have absolutely no desire to taste
the fundamental nature of the spirit the claim to enjoy. I can understand
this to a point. As a pup, I too tended towards the less intense cocktail,
watered down with a variety of dilutes. But, I think the main difference
between my generation and the latest is, I didn't spend insane amounts of
money on a high end brand name spirits just to mix/modify it into a drink
that is less than what I am spending all that money on. IOW, if you're
going to put out the $$$, taste what the Hell you are buying!

my 2¢
nb
notbob

On 2005-01-14, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Vodka is not bad straight out of the freezer.

Everything is "not bad" straight out of the freezer. The colder it is, the
less flavor it has. It's like:

"Gee, let's buy the smoothest most expensive least flavorful vodka we can
afford and freeze it till our highly developed taste buds are deadened into
inaction and can no longer taste the difference between water and lighter
fluid and then sit around and brag about drinking good vodka!"

Duh!

It's like the new generation of drinkers have absolutely no desire to taste
the fundamental nature of the spirit the claim to enjoy. I can understand
this to a point. As a pup, I too tended towards the less intense cocktail,
watered down with a variety of dilutes. But, I think the main difference
between my generation and the latest is, I didn't spend insane amounts of
money on a high end brand name spirits just to mix/modify it into a drink
that is less than what I am spending all that money on. IOW, if you're
going to put out the $$$, taste what the Hell you are buying!

my 2¢
nb
notbob

On 2005-01-14, -L. > wrote:

> (Tanqueray, straight up, extra dry, two olives)

Winston Churchill would've loved you. As I heard it, his idea of the
perfect martini was 3 shots of Tanq while looking at a bottle of Vermouth
from across the room.

nb