Denise~*

Default What foodie gift did you get for Christmas?

DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!

http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl

I can fry again!

Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
the list goes on. *smile*

Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.

Whoo hoo!
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Denise~* > said:

> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>
> I can fry again!
>
> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*
>
> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
> Whoo hoo!

Congrats! That looks cool, and would be a nice replacement for the
deep fryer I just gave away. DH and I didn't exchange presents this
year, but my birthday *is* coming up in January, hmmm...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Denise~* > said:

> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>
> I can fry again!
>
> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*
>
> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
> Whoo hoo!

Congrats! That looks cool, and would be a nice replacement for the
deep fryer I just gave away. DH and I didn't exchange presents this
year, but my birthday *is* coming up in January, hmmm...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Lucy

I got a bread machine.. my first, and I'm excited about it.. so please feel
free to share any recipes for them you all may have..
Thanks,
lucy

"Gal Called J.J." > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, Denise~* > said:
>
>> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>>
>> I can fry again!
>>
>> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
>> the list goes on. *smile*
>>
>> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
>> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
>> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>>
>> Whoo hoo!

> Congrats! That looks cool, and would be a nice replacement for the
> deep fryer I just gave away. DH and I didn't exchange presents this
> year, but my birthday *is* coming up in January, hmmm...
>

> --
> J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
> "I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

Pete Romfh

Gal Called J.J. wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Denise~* > said:
>
>> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>> I can fry again!
>>
>> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried
>> Chicken... the list goes on. *smile*
>>
>> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat
>> fryer of mine that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam
>> again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker! Never again will I
>> have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>>
>> Whoo hoo!

> Congrats! That looks cool, and would be a nice
> replacement for the deep fryer I just gave away. DH and I
> didn't exchange presents this year, but my birthday *is*
> coming up in January, hmmm...

No new gadgets here but daughter bought me a Chef's coat and hat. It looked
really cool as I carved and served the smoked turkey.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Bigbazza

"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>
> I can fry again!
>
> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*
>
> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
> Whoo hoo!

Well...I did just a little 'better than that Denise....My dishwasher gave up
some 18 yrs ago...I was always going to have it fixed..but after my Late
wife passed away 16 yrs ago...I never bothered !...My Son and Daughter gave
me a new one for Christmas...It is sitting in the middle of my kitchen floor
, along with the old one !...The tap fittings were different and also
situated in the wrong position so I have to have it 'installed' in the new
year !...My Son was so disappointed as he will still have to help with the
dishes until it is ready ! :-)

Also among a number of other gifts..I received a 1 kg 'Gluten' free
Christmas pudding from one of my 'younger' Grandkids...I was 'shocked' to
see the price ticket that was left on it ...$40 !!...What a rip off ..But I
will enjoy it so much more I suppose..Like 'gold' <g>.... By the way..I am
not permitted 'Gluten'....so I miss out on most of the Sweet stuff !

--
Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz

Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:48:22 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>No new gadgets here but daughter bought me a Chef's coat and hat. It looked
>really cool as I carved and served the smoked turkey.

Fun! Your daughter sounds cool.

Carol

Jarkat2002

>DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>
>http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>
>I can fry again!
>
>Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
>the list goes on. *smile*
>
>Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
>that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
>Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
>Whoo hoo!

I don't know what I did for Santa to bring me such a good haul ... but

Kitchen Aid Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer, Commercial 5 Series
Man, are my legs tired .. I'm STILL jumping for joy!

~Kat

Janet Bostwick

"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>
> I can fry again!
>
> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*
>
> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
> Whoo hoo!

My grandson gifted me with Alton Brown's official "Sodium Chloride
Containment Unit." (that's what it says on the box) Love it. My daughter
got me a brand new canister set in polished stainless steel. One friend got
me the 12 inch skillet that goes with my new cookware. Another friend got
me a thingy made by Oxo--think of an upside down pepper mill. You put a
mixture of whole spices in it to grind over meat to season for grilling.
And, bless him, my husband got me a new Bosch, stainless steel tub
dishwasher. The picture of it was hanging on the tree. Oh, and a neighbor
gave me a festive set of red and green oven mitts, dish towels and cloths.
All in all, quite a haul. I guess giving out samples of my cooking and
baking pays off. ;o} happy, happy
Janet

Jessica V.

Denise~* wrote:

> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>
> I can fry again!
>
> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*
>
> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
> Whoo hoo!

I got a microplane and two $40 gift certificates to my favorite cooking
store. I think I have plans for tomorrow morning, after I make some
blueberry muffins with a bit of lemon zest and some freshly grated
nutmeg. I think I'm going to like this new toy.

Jessica

Scott

In article >,
Denise~* > wrote:

> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*

It's deep enough to fry chicken? Deep-fried, or pan-fried?

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article >,
Denise~* > wrote:

> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*

It's deep enough to fry chicken? Deep-fried, or pan-fried?

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
sf

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 16:11:05 -0800, Denise~*
> wrote:

> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>
> I can fry again!
>
> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*
>
> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
> Whoo hoo!

I didn't "get" one, but I gave truffle oil to DD's BF and my
daughter gave her brother a Fry Daddy.

sf
Tony P.

In article >,
says...

> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!

http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl

> I can fry again!
>
> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*
>
> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
> Whoo hoo!

I got a $25 gift card for Costantino's Venda Ravioli & Pasta Fresca.

http://www.vendaravioli.com

Tony P.

In article >,
says...

> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!

http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl

> I can fry again!
>
> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*
>
> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
> Whoo hoo!

I got a $25 gift card for Costantino's Venda Ravioli & Pasta Fresca.

http://www.vendaravioli.com

Tony P.

In article >,
says...

> "Denise~*" > wrote in message
> >
> > DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!

http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl

> > I can fry again!
> >
> > Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> > the list goes on. *smile*
> >
> > Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
> > that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
> > Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
> >
> > Whoo hoo!

> My grandson gifted me with Alton Brown's official "Sodium Chloride
> Containment Unit." (that's what it says on the box) Love it. My daughter
> got me a brand new canister set in polished stainless steel. One friend got
> me the 12 inch skillet that goes with my new cookware. Another friend got
> me a thingy made by Oxo--think of an upside down pepper mill. You put a
> mixture of whole spices in it to grind over meat to season for grilling.
> And, bless him, my husband got me a new Bosch, stainless steel tub
> dishwasher. The picture of it was hanging on the tree. Oh, and a neighbor
> gave me a festive set of red and green oven mitts, dish towels and cloths.
> All in all, quite a haul. I guess giving out samples of my cooking and
> baking pays off. ;o} happy, happy
> Janet

Yeah - you get the prize so far for the most foodie related gifts. Enjoy
em'.

BOB

Denise~* wrote:
> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>
> I can fry again!
>
> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*
>
> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of
> mine that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a
> multi-tasker! Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is
> JUST a deep fat fryer.
> Whoo hoo!

I got a bunch of boxes of (lump char)COAL. Santa must have liked the way
I lived in 2004.

BOB

Rich

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Denise~*" > wrote in message
>>
>> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>>
>> I can fry again!
>>
>> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
>> the list goes on. *smile*
>>
>> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
>> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
>> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>>
>> Whoo hoo!

> My grandson gifted me with Alton Brown's official "Sodium Chloride
> Containment Unit." (that's what it says on the box) Love it.

That thing looks cool on Alton's TV show. Unfortunately, any salt stored in
a container that is not air tight quickly turns to a solid mass in Hawaii's
tropical climate.

--Rich

Blair P. Houghton

A revolving spice rack.

Big, steel wire construction; grey-and-white granite revolving base.

Spice jars with chrome caps with black flip-up covers for sifting
and pouring (but I won't be getting a spoon in there...)

The caps have permanent labelling with what's in them. Most
are your usual suspects: oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley, etc.
And then there's "Italian seasoning," for those of us who can't
mix oregano, basil, rosemary, and parsley...

I can't tell whether it's hideously tacky, or impressively useful.

It worked fine when I was grilling a steak yesterday and wanted
to up the bammage on the oil/salt/pepper rub I usually use.

If nothing else, it's a decent bunch of spice jars I can empty out
when I finally get addicted to Penzey's.

--Blair
"Now I have dried oregano older than me."
Rich

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 16:11:05 -0800, Denise~*
> > wrote:
>

>> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>>
>> I can fry again!
>>
>> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
>> the list goes on. *smile*
>>
>> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
>> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
>> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>>
>> Whoo hoo!

> I didn't "get" one, but I gave truffle oil to DD's BF and my
> daughter gave her brother a Fry Daddy.

I got a Fry Daddy too, from my secret Santa at work. That's the only foodie
gift unless you count the bottle of whiskey from the neighbors upstairs.

--Rich

Blair P. Houghton

I posted the one I got (I also got a box of hot-sauces, but
they're so wretched I don't count them as food).

How about the ones we gave?

At work we sponsored a single-parent family (Mom plus kids
8F, 4M, and 3M) through the local Department of Economic
Security, and one of the things on the Mom's list was
"kitchen utensils."

So I raided the local BB&Beyond:

18-piece high-temperature plastic cooking tools (spoons,
spatulas, etc.; saved me ten minutes collecting all them up)

10-pack of chip clips

4-sided grater

Can opener

Angled-scale measuring cup

Oven mitt

3-piece locking tongs set (you can never have too many tongs)

5-piece never-sharpen knife set (I know, I know; but think functionality)

Cutting board

50-piece servin'-saver container set (counting the lids; chiselers)

Ice cream scoop with floating cows in handle

Someone else signed off on the pots&pans.

Then we went over to Toys'R'Us and took care of the tykes.
Due to a snafu (gee, how did that happen?) the 8-year-old
ended up with three Bratz dolls.

--Blair
"Ho ho ho. I got a big honking bag
of cheer in my stocking this year."
Blair P. Houghton

One I gave myself:

My first whole steak in 5 months.

16 ounces of thick-cut strip I've been eyeing in the freezer
since I started working out.

I hit my goals (single-digit BFP and 185 lbs or less by xmas)
right on time, so I spent three days not toeing the line.

Friday was a real Mexican dinner.

Saturday was the whole steak.

Sunday was BBQ ribs and brisket.

And even after all that time without using my grill for
serious, I nailed the steak. Perfect quarter-inch pink,
purple in the middle, and with those fat, crunchy cast-iron
grill marks on the outside.

--Blair
"Tomorrow: back to the spreadsheet. I got
new goals to be set and knocked off."

Grismalkin

Denise wrote:

>DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>
>http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>
>I can fry again!
>
>Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
>the list goes on. *smile*
>
>Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
>that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
>Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
>Whoo hoo!

I wanted Jacques Pepin's autobiography but got some sort of fast food cookbook
by him instead. I've leafed through it and it hasn't inspired me yet.

The other book was Chronicles Volume 1.
Either you love Bob Dylan or hate him. I couldn't put the book down. He wrote
as a songwriter, and, as I was in a music "scene" in Detroit in the 70's with a
boyfriend who played in it there were many things that hit home. The bf
doesn't write songs anymore and would rather work with his hands by building
instruments.

Also, two boxes of chocolates.

Happy New Years!
Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:57:35 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>How about the ones we gave?

The only thing we either received or gave was a tin of pistachios, in the
shell, to my stepdaughter. It's become a tradition over the past several
years, and she, Crash and I have all come to expect pistachios to be part
of her Christmas.

Crash and I both miss certain family traditions, so we're creating our own.
All are special in different ways.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:57:35 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>How about the ones we gave?

The only thing we either received or gave was a tin of pistachios, in the
shell, to my stepdaughter. It's become a tradition over the past several
years, and she, Crash and I have all come to expect pistachios to be part
of her Christmas.

Crash and I both miss certain family traditions, so we're creating our own.
All are special in different ways.

Carol

Denise~*

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> Denise~* > wrote:
>

>>Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
>>the list goes on. *smile*

> It's deep enough to fry chicken? Deep-fried, or pan-fried?

Sorta like the size of a deep cast iron skillet, but with a temperature
regulator, for those who cannot cook chicken without getting the oil too
hot & burning it.
Charles Gifford

"Denise~*" > wrote in message

I got a Black and Decker electric Jar Opener. It is a real blessing for
those of us who have trouble opening some jar lids. It really does a great
job! I've been opening a lot of jars!

Charlie

silentking

Since I am new to Baking, I recieved my first Digital Scale! Woo Hoo!
Now I can start using my "real" cookbooks, lol.

Denise~* wrote:

> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>
> I can fry again!
>
> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*
>
> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
> Whoo hoo!

Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:46:14 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>I got a Black and Decker electric Jar Opener. It is a real blessing for
>those of us who have trouble opening some jar lids. It really does a great
>job! I've been opening a lot of jars!

Have you needed to open the jars, or are you just playing with your new
toy? <G> I'm glad to hear feedback on it. Crash has been wanting one,
and we hadn't talked to anyone who actually owned on.

Thanks!
Carol

Dee Randall

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message

> "Denise~*" > wrote in message
>>
>> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>>
>> I can fry again!
>>
>> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
>> the list goes on. *smile*
>>
>> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
>> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
>> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>>
>> Whoo hoo!

> Well...I did just a little 'better than that Denise....My dishwasher gave
> up some 18 yrs ago...I was always going to have it fixed..but after my
> Late wife passed away 16 yrs ago...I never bothered !...My Son and
> Daughter gave me a new one for Christmas...It is sitting in the middle of
> my kitchen floor , along with the old one !...The tap fittings were
> different and also situated in the wrong position so I have to have it
> 'installed' in the new year !...My Son was so disappointed as he will
> still have to help with the dishes until it is ready ! :-)
>
> Also among a number of other gifts..I received a 1 kg 'Gluten' free
> Christmas pudding from one of my 'younger' Grandkids...I was 'shocked' to
> see the price ticket that was left on it ...$40 !!...What a rip off ..But
> I will enjoy it so much more I suppose..Like 'gold' <g>.... By the way..I
> am not permitted 'Gluten'....so I miss out on most of the Sweet stuff !
>
> --
> Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz

My husband says to be sure to use flexible hoses. They are much easier to
connect and they are most common in hooking up dishwashers. You won't have
to fool with soldering copper tubing.

Nice present!
Dee

Janet Bostwick

"Rich" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

snip
>> My grandson gifted me with Alton Brown's official "Sodium Chloride
>> Containment Unit." (that's what it says on the box) Love it.

> That thing looks cool on Alton's TV show. Unfortunately, any salt stored
> in a container that is not air tight quickly turns to a solid mass in
> Hawaii's tropical climate.
>
> --Rich

It's nice to have a 'covered' dish that holds the Kosher salt. That said,
the device is shockingly, badly made. It is in no way air tight. The lid
'drapes' at an angle from the weld on the hand grip down to the top of the
glass dish. I told my husband it looked like a Junior Achievement project,
and then realized that JA usually puts out a more polished product. The
posts that hold the glass cup in place aren't straight, the handle isn't
smoothly bent and the beginning and end of the polish marks around the lid
thumb flipper are abrupt. Generally, things made in China these days are
well done--this isn't one of them. But it is the giver's thought that
counts and I love it for that.
Janet

The Ranger

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:57:35 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
[snip]
> How about the ones we gave?

I gave whole peppercorns, greens and whites, reds and blacks, with
mini-grinders to friends that I know like to cook. Others, that I
know have a love of baking, I gave vanilla, lemon, and orange
extracts. The final round of foodie gifts I gave to a friend was a
variety pack of cocoa, cinnamon sticks, and four porcelain cups. No
tools this year, though; people were still scratching their
collective heads over the items last year.
Bob Westcott

A few of our foodie friends got together and gave us a gift box full of
foodie stuff:

Olive paste
Balsamic Vinegar
a couple of wild dried pastas
Chipotle rub
Rosemary flatbreads
etc
etc

A most remarkable and varied selection. I asked them if they found this
somewhere or what... nope... hit three different stores finding stuff they
thought I'd find interesting to have. God bless em. A lot of experimental
food coming up this month....

"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>
> I can fry again!
>
> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
> the list goes on. *smile*
>
> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of mine
> that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a multi-tasker!
> Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST a deep fat fryer.
>
> Whoo hoo!

jmcquown

Rich wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Denise~*" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>>>
>>> I can fry again!
>>> Whoo hoo!

>> My grandson gifted me with Alton Brown's official "Sodium Chloride
>> Containment Unit." (that's what it says on the box) Love it.

> That thing looks cool on Alton's TV show. Unfortunately, any salt
> stored in a container that is not air tight quickly turns to a solid
> mass in Hawaii's tropical climate.
>
> --Rich

Add grains of raw rice. It absorbs the excess moisture to keep the salt
from clumping.

Jill

jmcquown

Rich wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Denise~*" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>>>
>>> I can fry again!
>>> Whoo hoo!

>> My grandson gifted me with Alton Brown's official "Sodium Chloride
>> Containment Unit." (that's what it says on the box) Love it.

> That thing looks cool on Alton's TV show. Unfortunately, any salt
> stored in a container that is not air tight quickly turns to a solid
> mass in Hawaii's tropical climate.
>
> --Rich

Add grains of raw rice. It absorbs the excess moisture to keep the salt
from clumping.

Jill

jmcquown

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "Rich" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>>

> snip
>>> My grandson gifted me with Alton Brown's official "Sodium Chloride
>>> Containment Unit." (that's what it says on the box) Love it.

>> That thing looks cool on Alton's TV show.
>>
>> --Rich

> It's nice to have a 'covered' dish that holds the Kosher salt. That
> said, the device is shockingly, badly made. It is in no way air
> tight. The lid 'drapes' at an angle from the weld on the hand grip
> down to the top of the glass dish. I told my husband it looked like
> a Junior Achievement project, and then realized that JA usually puts
> out a more polished product. The posts that hold the glass cup in
> place aren't straight, the handle isn't smoothly bent and the
> beginning and end of the polish marks around the lid thumb flipper
> are abrupt. Generally, things made in China these days are well
> done--this isn't one of them. But it is the giver's thought that
> counts and I love it for that.
> Janet

Excellent attitude! You can always find another salt cellar (I think that's
what they are called) and bring that one out when the grandkid visits

Jill

jmcquown

Bob Westcott wrote:
> A few of our foodie friends got together and gave us a gift box full
> of foodie stuff:
>
> a couple of wild dried pastas

As opposed to domestically raised and dried pastas? <G>

Jill

> "Denise~*" > wrote in message
>>
>> DH got me a Presto Electric Skillet!
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5lzxl
>>
>> I can fry again!
>>
>> Rosettes, Doughnuts, Funnell cake, Fries, Fried Chicken...
>> the list goes on. *smile*
>>
>> Not only does it get hotter than the 3 year old deep fat fryer of
>> mine that broke (I'm never buying Sunbeam again!!!) but it's a
>> multi-tasker! Never again will I have a deep fat fryer, that is JUST
>> a deep fat fryer.
>>
>> Whoo hoo!

Matt

"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> Whoo hoo!

I was lucky enough to receive several food(ie) items this Christmas:
King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion
A chocolate themed cookbook
One of those flexible oxo spatulas
A nice, fine-mesh skimmer
A couple of silicone hot pads
More pyrex measuring cups and bowls
One of those nifty rabbit-type wine openers
Ooh, and a pedestal cake plate

All-in-all a very nice Christmas.

-Matt

Marge

I got a new teapot, a tart tin, a springform pan, a box of Penzey's
baking spices, with the cinnamon, cocoa, vanilla and baking spice mix
(I loved that). Penzey's puts nutmegs, bay leaves and cinnamon sticks
in the box too. My bil gave me an assortment of teas (went well with
the teapot!). My dad sent me a knife set (thanks, dad!). My other bil
and his wife gave us a handmixer. I guess people know I like to cook
;-).