Dieter Zakas

Default Oatmeal and spice Question

Hi, group!

First, let me ask: is there an FAQ for this group, and where can I find it?

Second, I have a question about spices.

I like oatmeal with raisins and spice, though I'll frequently add more
raisins to the dish when making it. Now, I'd like to make my own version of
that at home, but all the ingredient lists of the commercially-prepared
products simply say "spices," and do not elaborate. Question is, what
spice(s) are used in these preparations? While it's likely each brand has
its own blend, I'd at least like a starting point so I know which spices to
get.

TIA for your help.

Dieter Zakas
--
Christmas is just plain weird. What other time of year do you sit in front
of a dead tree in the living room and eat candy out of your socks?

kalanamak

Dieter Zakas wrote:

> Hi, group!
>
> First, let me ask: is there an FAQ for this group, and where can I find it?
>
> Second, I have a question about spices.
>
> I like oatmeal with raisins and spice, though I'll frequently add more
> raisins to the dish when making it. Now, I'd like to make my own version of
> that at home, but all the ingredient lists of the commercially-prepared
> products simply say "spices," and do not elaborate. Question is, what
> spice(s) are used in these preparations? While it's likely each brand has
> its own blend, I'd at least like a starting point so I know which spices to
> get.

Cinnamon and nutmeg to begin with. Perhaps a very tiny hint of clove.
Perhaps allspice.
Try dicing up a crisp, tart apple when you cook it, and throwing in some
walnuts or shredded coconut. Oatmeal is a great foil.
I've seen people eat it with salt, pepper and butter, rather than milk,
sugar and spices.
blacksalt
kalanamak

Dieter Zakas wrote:

> Hi, group!
>
> First, let me ask: is there an FAQ for this group, and where can I find it?
>
> Second, I have a question about spices.
>
> I like oatmeal with raisins and spice, though I'll frequently add more
> raisins to the dish when making it. Now, I'd like to make my own version of
> that at home, but all the ingredient lists of the commercially-prepared
> products simply say "spices," and do not elaborate. Question is, what
> spice(s) are used in these preparations? While it's likely each brand has
> its own blend, I'd at least like a starting point so I know which spices to
> get.

Cinnamon and nutmeg to begin with. Perhaps a very tiny hint of clove.
Perhaps allspice.
Try dicing up a crisp, tart apple when you cook it, and throwing in some
walnuts or shredded coconut. Oatmeal is a great foil.
I've seen people eat it with salt, pepper and butter, rather than milk,
sugar and spices.
blacksalt
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:32:46 GMT, Dieter Zakas >
wrote:

>I like oatmeal with raisins and spice, though I'll frequently add more
>raisins to the dish when making it. Now, I'd like to make my own version of
>that at home, but all the ingredient lists of the commercially-prepared
>products simply say "spices," and do not elaborate. Question is, what
>spice(s) are used in these preparations? While it's likely each brand has
>its own blend, I'd at least like a starting point so I know which spices to
>get.

Definitely cinnamon. I also add a little vanilla. Depending on your
personal preferences, additional spices can include clove, nutmeg, or
ginger.

I once made "gingersnap" oatmeal, with molasses and ginger. There may have
been some other spices, but I only made it once, and didn't keep track. It
was very good, as a special treat.

Carol

Barbtail

>From: Dieter Zakas

(snipped first part cuz I don't know about the faq)

>Second, I have a question about spices.
>
>I like oatmeal with raisins and spice, though I'll frequently add more
>raisins to the dish when making it. Now, I'd like to make my own version of
>that at home, but all the ingredient lists of the commercially-prepared
>products simply say "spices," and do not elaborate. Question is, what
>spice(s) are used in these preparations? While it's likely each brand has
>its own blend, I'd at least like a starting point so I know which spices to
>get.
>
>TIA for your help.
>
>Dieter Zakas
>--
>Christmas is just plain weird. What other time of year do you sit in front
>of a dead tree in the living room and eat candy out of your socks?
>--"Maxine"

Prolly the most common spice in oatmeal cookies is cinnamon but a lil clove,
nutmeg and ginger is good too. I'd keep cinnamon as the predominant spice
though. You can also use pumpkin pie spice as it is usually mostly cinnamon
with clove, ginger, nutmeg and allspice.

hope this helped

Barb Ane

Barbtail

>From: Dieter Zakas

(snipped first part cuz I don't know about the faq)

>Second, I have a question about spices.
>
>I like oatmeal with raisins and spice, though I'll frequently add more
>raisins to the dish when making it. Now, I'd like to make my own version of
>that at home, but all the ingredient lists of the commercially-prepared
>products simply say "spices," and do not elaborate. Question is, what
>spice(s) are used in these preparations? While it's likely each brand has
>its own blend, I'd at least like a starting point so I know which spices to
>get.
>
>TIA for your help.
>
>Dieter Zakas
>--
>Christmas is just plain weird. What other time of year do you sit in front
>of a dead tree in the living room and eat candy out of your socks?
>--"Maxine"

Prolly the most common spice in oatmeal cookies is cinnamon but a lil clove,
nutmeg and ginger is good too. I'd keep cinnamon as the predominant spice
though. You can also use pumpkin pie spice as it is usually mostly cinnamon
with clove, ginger, nutmeg and allspice.

hope this helped

Barb Ane

BOB

Dieter Zakas wrote:
> Hi, group!
>
> First, let me ask: is there an FAQ for this group, and where can I
> find it?

http://vsack.bei.t-online.de/rfc_faq.html

Dieter Zakas

in article , Barbtail at
wrote on 12/23/04 9:36:

>> From: Dieter Zakas

> (snipped first part cuz I don't know about the faq)
>
>> Second, I have a question about spices.
>>
>> I like oatmeal with raisins and spice, though I'll frequently add more
>> raisins to the dish when making it. Now, I'd like to make my own version of
>> that at home, but all the ingredient lists of the commercially-prepared
>> products simply say "spices," and do not elaborate. Question is, what
>> spice(s) are used in these preparations? While it's likely each brand has
>> its own blend, I'd at least like a starting point so I know which spices to
>> get.
>>
>> TIA for your help.
>>
>> Dieter Zakas
>> --
>> Christmas is just plain weird. What other time of year do you sit in front
>> of a dead tree in the living room and eat candy out of your socks?
>> --"Maxine"
>>

> Prolly the most common spice in oatmeal cookies is cinnamon but a lil clove,
> nutmeg and ginger is good too. I'd keep cinnamon as the predominant spice
> though. You can also use pumpkin pie spice as it is usually mostly cinnamon
> with clove, ginger, nutmeg and allspice.
>
> hope this helped
>
> Barb Ane

Barb, et al,

Thank you!

At least I now have a starting point for concocting my own oatmeal spice
mixture, in the proportions to suit my taste.

One problem about using pumpkin pie spice as Barb has suggested is that its
ingredients' proportions are fixed. However, that's good to know.

Again, thanks for your replies!

Dieter Zakas
--
Christmas is just plain weird. What other time of year do you sit in front
of a dead tree in the living room and eat candy out of your socks?
--"Maxine"

Ken

Dieter,

People have already answered your question as to what to use for
holiday/pumpkin/oatmeal spices, so instead, here's what I do most
mornings:

I cook my oatmeal, throw in a spoonful of brown sugar, several good
shakes of cinnamon, and about half of a good size fruit. Pear is
delicious, also banana or apple or persimmon or any seasonal fruit you
like. To vary things, I add to it on occasion some ginger or nutmeg or
both, some chopped almonds, or sunflower seeds if I'm late for work and
want to save one minute in chopping time. The ginger is the most
frequent addition. (I've been told it sounds weird until you try it.)
Also maple syrup can be used as the sweetener. And I only use real,
old-fashioned rolled oats, not that instant stuff, (I know, flame away
about the Irish steel cut oats. But I do have to cook this before I
leave for work in the morning.) and always use milk instead of water.
Some people love butter added, I don't. Oatmeal is pretty forgiving
stuff, just add what you like, and if it's not good, it's less than a
$1 U.S. in the trash and don't do that again.

To be a real outcast, I cook mine in the microwave so I don't have to
watch it and can do other things while it's cooking. I have a
microwave that actually has different power levels, not just on and off
for half time or whatever. So I put the milk and oatmeal 2:1 in a
large pasta/soup bowl so it won't boil over, two minutes on high to get
it boiling, and about 2 minutes 45 seconds on 4 out of 10, so it's
cooking about five minutes in the micro plus some time on the counter.
This works well for the brand I get, your mileage may vary.

On the weekends, if I make a breakfast out of many different grains, I
do it on the stove.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Dieter Zakas

in article , Ken at
wrote on 12/23/04 17:24:

> Dieter,
>
> People have already answered your question as to what to use for
> holiday/pumpkin/oatmeal spices, so instead, here's what I do most
> mornings:
>
> I cook my oatmeal, throw in a spoonful of brown sugar, several good
> shakes of cinnamon, and about half of a good size fruit. Pear is
> delicious, also banana or apple or persimmon or any seasonal fruit you
> like. To vary things, I add to it on occasion some ginger or nutmeg or
> both, some chopped almonds, or sunflower seeds if I'm late for work and
> want to save one minute in chopping time. The ginger is the most
> frequent addition. (I've been told it sounds weird until you try it.)
> Also maple syrup can be used as the sweetener. And I only use real,
> old-fashioned rolled oats, not that instant stuff, (I know, flame away
> about the Irish steel cut oats. But I do have to cook this before I
> leave for work in the morning.) and always use milk instead of water.
> Some people love butter added, I don't. Oatmeal is pretty forgiving
> stuff, just add what you like, and if it's not good, it's less than a
> $1 U.S. in the trash and don't do that again.
>
> To be a real outcast, I cook mine in the microwave so I don't have to
> watch it and can do other things while it's cooking. I have a
> microwave that actually has different power levels, not just on and off
> for half time or whatever. So I put the milk and oatmeal 2:1 in a
> large pasta/soup bowl so it won't boil over, two minutes on high to get
> it boiling, and about 2 minutes 45 seconds on 4 out of 10, so it's
> cooking about five minutes in the micro plus some time on the counter.
> This works well for the brand I get, your mileage may vary.
>
> On the weekends, if I make a breakfast out of many different grains, I
> do it on the stove.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Ken

Ken,

Wow...I don't know what to say. I guess "thanks" would work.

Basically, I was looking for info on what spices might logically be found in
commercial instant oatmeal products, like Quaker's Raisin & Spice, because I
wanted to do the same thing (I already add extra raisins). My problem was
that the spices appear in the ingredient list simply as "spices." Big help
that is.

Again, thanks for your suggestions; I've save them to disk.

Dieter Zakas