Lillly

Default Cookware

I am buying some good cookware for my 25 year old daughter. She cooks a lot
but is not a professional.

1) What opinion do you all have about the various brands of upper level
cookware (All Clad, Calaphion, Viking, Cuisinart etc.)?

2) What opinion do you all have about types of material (anodized aluminum,
multi-clad, cast iron +/- porceleinc.)?

3) Where is the best place to shop?

Thanks

Kent

I have used Cuisinart copper clad cookware for the last 25 years. It is in
like new condition after daily usage and banging around. We are probably up
to 25 pots and pans at present. We wouldn't have anything else. The
"everyday stainless" is closest to the original Cuisinart cookware; it has
the copper plate in the bottom between two layers of stainless. The others
seem to have an aluminum plate. Get the copper, strangely at a better price.

Look at:
http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....c005 7*519529
All of the others, calphalon, all clad, etc. lack something including
weight, lack of pouring lip, most of all price.
Get this set, or something from this set and you won't be unhappy. This
seems to be an unusually good deal, at $139, especially considering what you
are paying for some of the other brand products.
Kent

"Lillly" > wrote in message
>I am buying some good cookware for my 25 year old daughter. She cooks a
>lot but is not a professional.
>
> 1) What opinion do you all have about the various brands of upper level
> cookware (All Clad, Calaphion, Viking, Cuisinart etc.)?
>
> 2) What opinion do you all have about types of material (anodized
> aluminum, multi-clad, cast iron +/- porceleinc.)?
>
> 3) Where is the best place to shop?
>
> Thanks

Kent

"Lillly" > wrote in message
>I am buying some good cookware for my 25 year old daughter. She cooks a
>lot but is not a professional.
>
> 1) What opinion do you all have about the various brands of upper level
> cookware (All Clad, Calaphion, Viking, Cuisinart etc.)?
>
> 2) What opinion do you all have about types of material (anodized
> aluminum, multi-clad, cast iron +/- porceleinc.)?
>
> 3) Where is the best place to shop?
>
> Thanks

The Cook

"Lillly" > wrote:

>I am buying some good cookware for my 25 year old daughter. She cooks a lot
>but is not a professional.
>
>1) What opinion do you all have about the various brands of upper level
>cookware (All Clad, Calaphion, Viking, Cuisinart etc.)?
>
>2) What opinion do you all have about types of material (anodized aluminum,
>multi-clad, cast iron +/- porceleinc.)?
>
>3) Where is the best place to shop?
>
>Thanks

Don't try to select it for her. Either ask her what she would like or
go shopping together. You will discover that there are a lot of
different opinions about cookware.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Ida Slapter

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 05:14:33 GMT, "Lillly" >
wrote:

>I am buying some good cookware for my 25 year old daughter. She cooks a lot
>but is not a professional.
>
>1) What opinion do you all have about the various brands of upper level
>cookware (All Clad, Calaphion, Viking, Cuisinart etc.)?

There is no manufacturer of cookware that makes a set for every
purpose. Different cookiing procedures require different pots and
pans.

This is very interesting and informative. Check out Fine Cooking
article: http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00007.asp

Ida Slapter

wrote:

>I am buying some good cookware for my 25 year old daughter. She cooks a lot
>but is not a professional.
>
>1) What opinion do you all have about the various brands of upper level
>cookware (All Clad, Calaphion, Viking, Cuisinart etc.)?

There is no manufacturer of cookware that makes a set for every
purpose. Different cookiing procedures require different pots and
pans.

This is very interesting and informative. Check out Fine Cooking
article: http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00007.asp

Ida Slapter

wrote:

>I am buying some good cookware for my 25 year old daughter. She cooks a lot
>but is not a professional.
>
>1) What opinion do you all have about the various brands of upper level
>cookware (All Clad, Calaphion, Viking, Cuisinart etc.)?

There is no manufacturer of cookware that makes a set for every
purpose. Different cookiing procedures require different pots and
pans.

This is very interesting and informative. Check out Fine Cooking
article: http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00007.asp

bill

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 05:14:33 +0000, Lillly wrote:

> I am buying some good cookware for my 25 year old daughter. She cooks a lot
> but is not a professional.
>
> 1) What opinion do you all have about the various brands of upper level
> cookware (All Clad, Calaphion, Viking, Cuisinart etc.)?
>
> 2) What opinion do you all have about types of material (anodized aluminum,
> multi-clad, cast iron +/- porceleinc.)?
>
> 3) Where is the best place to shop?
>
> Thanks

If money is no object get the Viking. Best design, brushed stainless
exterior. They took the All Clad design and improved it. Nicest stuff on
the market. Non of the cookwear you listed is what a professional would
buy. These lines are for the pretty kitchen cook.
bill

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 05:14:33 +0000, Lillly wrote:

> I am buying some good cookware for my 25 year old daughter. She cooks a lot
> but is not a professional.
>
> 1) What opinion do you all have about the various brands of upper level
> cookware (All Clad, Calaphion, Viking, Cuisinart etc.)?
>
> 2) What opinion do you all have about types of material (anodized aluminum,
> multi-clad, cast iron +/- porceleinc.)?
>
> 3) Where is the best place to shop?
>
> Thanks

If money is no object get the Viking. Best design, brushed stainless
exterior. They took the All Clad design and improved it. Nicest stuff on
the market. Non of the cookwear you listed is what a professional would
buy. These lines are for the pretty kitchen cook.
Charles Gifford

"Lillly" > wrote in message
> I am buying some good cookware for my 25 year old daughter. She cooks a

lot
> but is not a professional.
>
> 1) What opinion do you all have about the various brands of upper level
> cookware (All Clad, Calaphion, Viking, Cuisinart etc.)?
>
> 2) What opinion do you all have about types of material (anodized

aluminum,
> multi-clad, cast iron +/- porceleinc.)?
>
> 3) Where is the best place to shop?
>
> Thanks

If money is not a problem, All Clad Stainless is the best cook ware
available, IMO. I have been cooking for many years and I have not met any
cookware better. It is expensive, but well worth the price.

You have stainless steel outside and inside the pans. Between these layers
is a layer of aluminum that goes from the bottom to the top of the pans. The
evenness of heat is excellent. The lids and handles are excellent.

If you want to spend less, I highly recommend the inexpensive Farberware
"Classic" cookware. It is all that a cook needs. All Clad is for the person
who is a very enthusiastic cook or a professional. The difference is there,
but not really noticeable to anyone except a very experienced cook.
Farberware "Classic" is all that most folks would ever need.

Some recommend to NOT get sets of a cookware. That is often valid. However,
if the recipient's current cookware is of poor quality, a complete set of a
quality cookware is a good idea.

The reason put forward for not getting a set is that individual cooking
utensils depend on the cook's use. True, but flawed. A decent cook needs:

1) An excellent basic set of cookware.
2) A set of inexpensive (easily replaceable) non-stick frypans, mostly for
eggs.
3) A small selection of enameled cast iron "Dutch Ovens" (I recommend
LeCruset). I say small, but I recommend as many as you can afford and have
space for. From 3/4 qt. to 6 qt. is essential for me.

You also asked about anodized cookware. I have several pieces of anodized. I
detest it. It is impossible to get a clear look at the contents because of
the darkness of the interior. It is unpleasant to use. Nasty useless
stuff!!! (I don't like it <giggle>)

Charlie

I need new cookware sf[_9_] General Cooking 88 19-11-2010 05:09 PM
New Cookware! gloria.p General Cooking 0 21-08-2010 12:03 AM
Cookware Ed Pawlowski Cooking Equipment 5 27-08-2008 03:31 AM
Cookware Bob H. General Cooking 15 17-10-2004 02:44 AM
Has Anyone Tried this Cookware? Gini Cooking Equipment 4 05-12-2003 10:23 PM