Bob H.

Default Cookware

If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What would they be?
Phyllis

"Bob H." > wrote in message
om...
> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What would
> they be?

cast iron and a sauce pan of some kind

Phyllis

"Bob H." > wrote in message
om...
> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What would
> they be?

cast iron and a sauce pan of some kind

Sam D.

"Bob H." > wrote in message
om...
> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What

would they be?

1. Stainless steel w/ copper-plated bottoms.
2. Cast Iron.

Sam D.

"Bob H." > wrote in message
om...
> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What

would they be?

1. Stainless steel w/ copper-plated bottoms.
2. Cast Iron.

C. James Strutz

"Bob H." > wrote in message
om...

> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your
> kitchen. What would they be?

Okay, I don't think you're asking about brands so I won't tell you
that All Clad is my favorite. :^) So I think you mean shape and/or
function. On that basis, I'd say a pot and a skillet. Don't forget the
lids.

Alex Rast

at Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:07:53 GMT in >,
(Sam D.) wrote :

>> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What

>would they be?
>
>1. Stainless steel w/ copper-plated bottoms.
>2. Cast Iron.

Unfortunately, Type 1 seems no longer to be available. I personally would
indeed prefer a modification of Type 1 : Stainless steel with full copper
core (i.e. the entire pot is a sandwich: stainless on outside and inside,
copper in the middle.)

But All-Clad has done an excellent job of marketing. They've managed to
convey the impression, true or not, that they're the "high-end" pots and
pans - the ones everyone should emulate. And, fundamentally, All-Clad is an
*aluminum* manufacturer. Needless to say, wanting to use their product
(and, to be fair, their core competency), their pots and pans replaced the
copper core with an aluminum core. And because they managed to occupy the
high-end position in peoples' minds, all the other manufacturers felt
compelled to follow suit. Actually, it wasn't that difficult. Aluminum is
considerably cheaper than copper, and so once the other manufacturers
recognised that the typical consumer would gladly accept the somewhat
lower-conductivity aluminum core without considering it lower-end, they
didn't need much convincing to switch.

Now, *I* am someone who would by contrast gladly pay more for a full-copper
core. But unfortunately that appears to be too small of a market at this
point for the manufacturers to support, at least not when they can get by
with using a cheaper product and either lowering the price (thus getting
more customers), or increasing the profit margin.

A thousand curses on All-Clad.

--
Alex Rast

Paracelsus

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 05:22:33 -0700, Bob H. wrote:

> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What would they be?

I personally would like a complete set of heavy cast iron cookware
but to start with only two, the following should suffice.

18-20 inch cast iron skillet
large (over 12 quart) cast iron dutch oven with lid.

You can cook small in a big pot but not the other way around!
Jessica V.

Bob H. wrote:
> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What would they be?

1) 16 inch cast iron skillet with lid
2) 20 quart stainless steel stock pot

Jessica
Sam D.

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:07:53 GMT in

>,
> (Sam D.) wrote :
>
> >> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen.

What
> >would they be?
> >
> >1. Stainless steel w/ copper-plated bottoms.
> >2. Cast Iron.

> Unfortunately, Type 1 seems no longer to be available. I personally

would
> indeed prefer a modification of Type 1 : Stainless steel with full

copper
> core (i.e. the entire pot is a sandwich: stainless on outside and

inside,
> copper in the middle.)
>
> But All-Clad has done an excellent job of marketing. They've managed

> convey the impression, true or not, that they're the "high-end" pots

and
> pans - the ones everyone should emulate. And, fundamentally,

All-Clad is an
> *aluminum* manufacturer. Needless to say, wanting to use their

product
> (and, to be fair, their core competency), their pots and pans

replaced the
> copper core with an aluminum core. And because they managed to

occupy the
> high-end position in peoples' minds, all the other manufacturers

felt
> compelled to follow suit. Actually, it wasn't that difficult.

Aluminum is
> considerably cheaper than copper, and so once the other

manufacturers
> recognised that the typical consumer would gladly accept the

somewhat
> lower-conductivity aluminum core without considering it lower-end,

they
> didn't need much convincing to switch.
>
> Now, *I* am someone who would by contrast gladly pay more for a

full-copper
> core. But unfortunately that appears to be too small of a market at

this
> point for the manufacturers to support, at least not when they can

get by
> with using a cheaper product and either lowering the price (thus

getting
> more customers), or increasing the profit margin.

Good points. I have some Revere Ware that has endured for 40 years.
After so many years a couple pieces' handles had broken and then one
piece got horribly scorched as a result of my own carelessness. So I
replaced some pieces about 5 years ago and the new stuff seems just as
good as the old. About a year ago I added a 16-qt. stockpot (made in
China) which I got at a close-out. I also bought a second one for one
of my daughters. I observed that the quality had sipped a bit. The
finish is not as well polished and the lid doesn't fit as well as it
could. But still, both have served their purpose well. Sauces can be
simmered in them for hours without any fear of burning the bottom.

Doug Freyburger

Bob H. wrote:

> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in
> your kitchen. What would they be?

Do you mean what material? I live in the wrong century to
want any cookware that doesn't go in the dishwasher, so
my answer is:

1) Stainless clad with a core of copper if possible else
aluminum. Stainless outside for dishwasher safe, high
conductivity inside for fast response. Heck, if someone
carried a line of stainless lined silver I would consider
buying a piece from that line every couple of years.

2) Nonstick coated cheap stuff.

All of the stuff that isn't dishwasher safe is nice enough
for assorted reasons, and I am not the only one cooking so
we have some. Also I don't *have* to only pick two. Give
me a chance to be the only one purchasing stuff for the
kitchen, though, and everything that I buy would be
dishwasher safe.

Do you mean shape?

1) Frying pan shape.

2) Saucepan shape.

That one is easier to answer since almost 90% of the cooking
down in my kitchen is with one of those two shapes.
Specialty pans are nice, but nearly everything *can* be
done with a big enough frying pan or saucepan as long as it
also fits in the oven and has oven safe handles. Again,
I'm not limited to two shapes so there are more shapes in
my kitchen at the moment. Those others are not used with
anywhere near the frequency, though.
Ellie C

Paracelsus wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 05:22:33 -0700, Bob H. wrote:
>

>>If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What would they be?

> I personally would like a complete set of heavy cast iron cookware
> but to start with only two, the following should suffice.
>
> 18-20 inch cast iron skillet
> large (over 12 quart) cast iron dutch oven with lid.
>
> You can cook small in a big pot but not the other way around!

I use only two kinds of pots - cast iron frying pans and heavy,
tin-lined copper pots. I have lots of others but it seems both my
husband and I end up using these all the time. Good heavy copper
cookware is cheap in France - as long as you buy it at places like
supermarkets rather than specialty stores. THe cast iron pots came from
the US with us.
Ellie C

Paracelsus wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 05:22:33 -0700, Bob H. wrote:
>

>>If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What would they be?

> I personally would like a complete set of heavy cast iron cookware
> but to start with only two, the following should suffice.
>
> 18-20 inch cast iron skillet
> large (over 12 quart) cast iron dutch oven with lid.
>
> You can cook small in a big pot but not the other way around!

I use only two kinds of pots - cast iron frying pans and heavy,
tin-lined copper pots. I have lots of others but it seems both my
husband and I end up using these all the time. Good heavy copper
cookware is cheap in France - as long as you buy it at places like
supermarkets rather than specialty stores. THe cast iron pots came from
the US with us.
Charles Gifford

"Bob H." > wrote in message
om...
> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What would

they be?

I have no idea what you are asking. I'll take a stab at what comes to my
mind first.

1. Everything All-Clad makes in their Stainless finish.
2. All Circulon non-stick frying pans, sauté pans, and wok.

To go further, I like All-Clad. It is great if you can afford it. If not,
then I recommend Farberware Classic. The only non-stick one needs are
frypans. I recommend the cheapest available at your grocery store. When it
wears out, as they all will, they are cheap to replace.

Revere Ware copper-bottom cookware is shit. It is worthless. It has no
benefit from it's light copper coating on the thin stainless steel. I know
that a lot of people like it, poor souls, but it is crap. It does last a
long time, but it only prolongs bad cooking. The Farberware Classic lasts as
long and is great at cooking. Cookware is only good if it has a thick bottom
at the minimum. It is better if it has a thick aluminum or copper core all
around the cooking pot/pan.

Still, All-Clad is superb. It is a genuine pleasure to use. Expensive, sure.
Worth it? Yes if you can afford it.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Bob H." > wrote in message
om...
> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What would

they be?

I have no idea what you are asking. I'll take a stab at what comes to my
mind first.

1. Everything All-Clad makes in their Stainless finish.
2. All Circulon non-stick frying pans, sauté pans, and wok.

To go further, I like All-Clad. It is great if you can afford it. If not,
then I recommend Farberware Classic. The only non-stick one needs are
frypans. I recommend the cheapest available at your grocery store. When it
wears out, as they all will, they are cheap to replace.

Revere Ware copper-bottom cookware is shit. It is worthless. It has no
benefit from it's light copper coating on the thin stainless steel. I know
that a lot of people like it, poor souls, but it is crap. It does last a
long time, but it only prolongs bad cooking. The Farberware Classic lasts as
long and is great at cooking. Cookware is only good if it has a thick bottom
at the minimum. It is better if it has a thick aluminum or copper core all
around the cooking pot/pan.

Still, All-Clad is superb. It is a genuine pleasure to use. Expensive, sure.
Worth it? Yes if you can afford it.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Bob H." > wrote in message
om...
> If you could only have two kind(style) of pans in your kitchen. What would

they be?

I have no idea what you are asking. I'll take a stab at what comes to my
mind first.

1. Everything All-Clad makes in their Stainless finish.
2. All Circulon non-stick frying pans, sauté pans, and wok.

To go further, I like All-Clad. It is great if you can afford it. If not,
then I recommend Farberware Classic. The only non-stick one needs are
frypans. I recommend the cheapest available at your grocery store. When it
wears out, as they all will, they are cheap to replace.

Revere Ware copper-bottom cookware is shit. It is worthless. It has no
benefit from it's light copper coating on the thin stainless steel. I know
that a lot of people like it, poor souls, but it is crap. It does last a
long time, but it only prolongs bad cooking. The Farberware Classic lasts as
long and is great at cooking. Cookware is only good if it has a thick bottom
at the minimum. It is better if it has a thick aluminum or copper core all
around the cooking pot/pan.

Still, All-Clad is superb. It is a genuine pleasure to use. Expensive, sure.
Worth it? Yes if you can afford it.

Charlie

I need new cookware sf[_9_] General Cooking 88 19-11-2010 05:09 PM
New Cookware! gloria.p General Cooking 0 21-08-2010 12:03 AM
Cookware Ed Pawlowski Cooking Equipment 5 27-08-2008 03:31 AM
Cookware Lillly General Cooking 11 27-11-2004 12:15 AM
Has Anyone Tried this Cookware? Gini Cooking Equipment 4 05-12-2003 10:23 PM