Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gingersnaps

I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.

https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg

Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)

I see one more bag in my near future (next week), and then probably
bot ever again in my lifetime. And NO. I will NOT use any in
sauerbraten. I don't know they were thinking mixing cookies and
beef. Germans, Pbbbt!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-12 4:50 a.m., Sqwertz wrote:
> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>
> Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
> remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)

I love those things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2021 8:36 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-06-12 4:50 a.m., Sqwertz wrote:
>> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>> I saw them at the store last week.Â* It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>> wanted some, and ate two of them.Â* Then pulled out one more.Â* Then 3
>> more.Â* Then 4 more.Â* They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>>
>> Wow, spicy mofos.Â* I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
>> remember the bag designÂ* bag as clear as I remember the bags of
>> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
>> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,lÂ* (haten ;em)

> I love those things.

I'm not a fan of Animal Crackers but I do like Gingersnaps. It's been a
long time since I bought any, though.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2021 4:50 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>
> Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
> remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)
>
> I see one more bag in my near future (next week), and then probably
> bot ever again in my lifetime. And NO. I will NOT use any in
> sauerbraten. I don't know they were thinking mixing cookies and
> beef. Germans, Pbbbt!
>
> -sw

I've never had them store bought, but about a year ago, I made several
batches. I have a tendency to double cooky recipes when I make them,
and the pre-war better homes/gardens recipe didn't disappoint... I
didn't realize how huge the original recipe was. It was rather recently
that the last of my frozen ones were eaten. It is a great cooky to go
along with a cup of coffee in the morning. I might not use the jar of
Molasses again until I decide to make more gingersnaps... lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2021 4:50 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>
> Wow, spicy mofos.

Well done. Stauffer's makes ginger snaps *right*. Forget other brands

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 03:50:50 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
>more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>
>Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
>remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
>horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
>theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)
>
>I see one more bag in my near future (next week), and then probably
>bot ever again in my lifetime. And NO. I will NOT use any in
>sauerbraten. I don't know they were thinking mixing cookies and
>beef. Germans, Pbbbt!
>
>-sw

I can't remember when I last bought them. Maybe I'll get some next
time at the store.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 3:50:57 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>
> Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
> remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)
>
> I see one more bag in my near future (next week), and then probably
> bot ever again in my lifetime. And NO. I will NOT use any in
> sauerbraten. I don't know they were thinking mixing cookies and
> beef. Germans, Pbbbt!
>
> -sw

When Nabisco redesigned their circus box to eliminate the cages, I figured I should buy one last box.

I wasnt a big fan of animal crackers as a child, and thought they might be worse now. Terrible!

Likewise, it had been many years since my last gingersnap.

Bought a sack a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised. Ive bought a few since.

If cookies-n-beef skeeve you out, how about cookies-n-cabbage?

Gingersnaps are an essential ingredient in my favorite deli-style sweet-n-sour cabbage soup.

Not exactly soup weather now, but Ill try to remember in a few months.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2021 10:44 AM, US Janet wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 03:50:50 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
>> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>>
>> Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
>> remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
>> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
>> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)
>>
>> I see one more bag in my near future (next week), and then probably
>> bot ever again in my lifetime. And NO. I will NOT use any in
>> sauerbraten. I don't know they were thinking mixing cookies and
>> beef. Germans, Pbbbt!
>>
>> -sw

> I can't remember when I last bought them. Maybe I'll get some next
> time at the store.
> Janet US

I bought some gingersnaps a couple of years ago. I don't recall the
brand but that bag looks familiar. They were a bit more spicy than I
remembered, too; hadn't had them since I was a kid. I like gingersnaps
because they aren't too terribly sweet. I may pick up a bag if I go
down the cookie aisle the next time I'm at the grocery store.

One type of cookie I *do* like but is a rare indulgence is Danish
Wedding Cookies. I think the brand is Keebler. They are small, they
are covered in powdered sugar... oh, here's a link to a recipe:

https://www.food.com/recipe/i-love-d...cookies-175454

Funny thing. When I got my first job in an office (back when dinosaurs
roamed the earth) the company had a weekly "open house" for potential
clients. I was handed $20 from petty cash and told to go to the grocery
store and buy some "fancy cookies" to go with the coffee and tea. Fancy
to me meant something different from chocolate chip and PB cookies,
lthough I did buy some of those, too (can't fail with old favourites)
The Keebler "Danish Wedding Cookies" were the real hit. I hadn't
thought about them in 40 years. Saw a bag on the shelf a couple of
years ago. Hmmmm. Yes, they are still delicious!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2021 10:51 AM, odlayo wrote:
> Not exactly soup weather now, but Ill try to remember in a few months.

Is there really such a thing as "soup weather"? I live in the deep
south and I make and eat soup year round. Not with gingersnaps, though.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-12 10:04 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/12/2021 8:36 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-06-12 4:50 a.m., Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>>> I saw them at the store last week.Â* It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>>> wanted some, and ate two of them.Â* Then pulled out one more.Â* Then 3
>>> more.Â* Then 4 more.Â* They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>>>
>>> Wow, spicy mofos.Â* I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
>>> remember the bag designÂ* bag as clear as I remember the bags of
>>> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
>>> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,lÂ* (haten ;em)

>> I love those things.
>>

> I'm not a fan of Animal Crackers but I do like Gingersnaps.Â* It's been a
> long time since I bought any, though.

I buy them frequently. They tend to be a little lower in fat and sugar
than other commercial cookies. More important..... I love ginger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 10:04:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On 6/12/2021 8:36 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2021-06-12 4:50 a.m., Sqwertz wrote:
> >> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
> >> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
> >> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
> >> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
> >>
> >> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
> >>
> >> Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
> >> remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
> >> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
> >> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)

> > I love those things.
> >

> I'm not a fan of Animal Crackers but I do like Gingersnaps. It's been a
> long time since I bought any, though.

They along with Chuckles candy and Chicken in a Biscuit crackers are still sold at the dollar store, Dollar Tree, I think.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 10:03:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 6/12/2021 10:51 AM, odlayo wrote:
> > Not exactly soup weather now, but Ill try to remember in a few months.

> Is there really such a thing as "soup weather"? I live in the deep
> south and I make and eat soup year round. Not with gingersnaps, though.

I live in a real 4-season climate, am outside quite a bit, and try to avoid using air conditioning at home.

Today will be around 90F and humid. Im headed out soon for a few hours (without AC).

In my world there is definitely soup weather, and this is definitely not it..

I have access to some very good farmers markets and look forward to topnotch produce this time of year.

I also look forward to the cooler months when local cabbage is plentiful. I like seasonal cooking.

Cabbage soup is the only food I add gingersnaps to (I make many types, rarely sweet-n-sour).

I found a recipe that almost perfectly recreates a favorite soup from a long-gone local delicatessen.

It turns out gingersnaps are an important ingredient. Was a surprise to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 07:51:34 -0700 (PDT), odlayo >
wrote:

>On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 3:50:57 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
>> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>>
>> Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
>> remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
>> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
>> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)
>>
>> I see one more bag in my near future (next week), and then probably
>> bot ever again in my lifetime. And NO. I will NOT use any in
>> sauerbraten. I don't know they were thinking mixing cookies and
>> beef. Germans, Pbbbt!
>>
>> -sw

>When Nabisco redesigned their circus box to eliminate the cages, I figured I should buy one last box.
>
>I wasn’t a big fan of animal crackers as a child, and thought they might be worse now. Terrible!

We buy animal crackers from BJs, a 4 pound plastic jug. I like them
spread with jam.... plain animal crackers are tasteless.

>Likewise, it had been many years since my last gingersnap.
>
>Bought a sack a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised. I’ve bought a few since.
>
>If cookies-n-beef skeeve you out, how about cookies-n-cabbage?
>Gingersnaps are an essential ingredient in my favorite deli-style sweet-n-sour cabbage soup.
>Not exactly soup weather now, but I’ll try to remember in a few months.

You don't need the cookies, powdered ginger works better. For sour
use a fresh lemon, for sweet I use raisons. I make a huge pot of
cabbage soup in the cold weather when my giant cabbages are ready to
harvest... actually it's sweet and sour stuffed cabbage soup... I fill
an 18 qt. pot. Stuffed cabbage and the soup freeze well. The outter
leaves get stuffed, the smaller inner leaves become part of the soup,
nothing wasted. I also like chopped sauted cabbage and wide egg
noodles, buttered.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:03:38 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/12/2021 10:51 AM, odlayo wrote:
>> Not exactly soup weather now, but I’ll try to remember in a few months.

>Is there really such a thing as "soup weather"? I live in the deep
>south and I make and eat soup year round. Not with gingersnaps, though.
>
>Jill

I make soup all year too, but I prefer to eat the ginger snaps as is.
Fall here is good soup time, lots of soup veggies are ready. One of
my favorites is lima bean soup with ham hocks, and winter squash.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:22:51 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 6/12/2021 4:50 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
>> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>>
>> Wow, spicy mofos.

>Well done. Stauffer's makes ginger snaps *right*. Forget other brands

""enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine
mononitrate [vitamin b1], riboflavin [vitamin b2], folic acid), sugar,
palm oil, molasses, ginger, baking soda (for leavening), caramel
color, salt, soy lecithin (an emulsifier), cinnamon, cloves, chili
powder, red pepper"

No xanthan gum!

--
Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 04:47:12 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:22:51 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>On 6/12/2021 4:50 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>>> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>>> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
>>> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>>>
>>> Wow, spicy mofos.

>>Well done. Stauffer's makes ginger snaps *right*. Forget other brands

>""enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine
>mononitrate [vitamin b1], riboflavin [vitamin b2], folic acid), sugar,
>palm oil, molasses, ginger, baking soda (for leavening), caramel
>color, salt, soy lecithin (an emulsifier), cinnamon, cloves, chili
>powder, red pepper"
>
>No xanthan gum!

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 13:13:04 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:03:38 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 6/12/2021 10:51 AM, odlayo wrote:
>>> Not exactly soup weather now, but I’ll try to remember in a few months.

>>Is there really such a thing as "soup weather"? I live in the deep
>>south and I make and eat soup year round. Not with gingersnaps, though.
>>
>>Jill

>I make soup all year too, but I prefer to eat the ginger snaps as is.
>Fall here is good soup time, lots of soup veggies are ready. One of
>my favorites is lima bean soup with ham hocks, and winter squash.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 13:07:55 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 07:51:34 -0700 (PDT), odlayo >
>wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 3:50:57 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>>> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>>> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
>>> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>>>
>>> Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
>>> remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
>>> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
>>> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)
>>>
>>> I see one more bag in my near future (next week), and then probably
>>> bot ever again in my lifetime. And NO. I will NOT use any in
>>> sauerbraten. I don't know they were thinking mixing cookies and
>>> beef. Germans, Pbbbt!
>>>
>>> -sw

>>When Nabisco redesigned their circus box to eliminate the cages, I figured I should buy one last box.
>>
>>I wasn’t a big fan of animal crackers as a child, and thought they might be worse now. Terrible!

>We buy animal crackers from BJs, a 4 pound plastic jug. I like them
>spread with jam.... plain animal crackers are tasteless.
>
>>Likewise, it had been many years since my last gingersnap.
>>
>>Bought a sack a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised. I’ve bought a few since.
>>
>>If cookies-n-beef skeeve you out, how about cookies-n-cabbage?
>>Gingersnaps are an essential ingredient in my favorite deli-style sweet-n-sour cabbage soup.
>>Not exactly soup weather now, but I’ll try to remember in a few months.

>You don't need the cookies, powdered ginger works better. For sour
>use a fresh lemon, for sweet I use raisons. I make a huge pot of
>cabbage soup in the cold weather when my giant cabbages are ready to
>harvest... actually it's sweet and sour stuffed cabbage soup... I fill
>an 18 qt. pot. Stuffed cabbage and the soup freeze well. The outter
>leaves get stuffed, the smaller inner leaves become part of the soup,
>nothing wasted. I also like chopped sauted cabbage and wide egg
>noodles, buttered.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2021 1:13 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:03:38 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/12/2021 10:51 AM, odlayo wrote:
>>> Not exactly soup weather now, but Ill try to remember in a few months.

>> Is there really such a thing as "soup weather"? I live in the deep
>> south and I make and eat soup year round. Not with gingersnaps, though.
>>
>> Jill

> I make soup all year too, but I prefer to eat the ginger snaps as is.
> Fall here is good soup time, lots of soup veggies are ready. One of
> my favorites is lima bean soup with ham hocks, and winter squash.

I made a small pot (about 6 servings) of broccoli-cheese soup earlier
today and have been contemplating getting the ingredients to make some
corn chowder. You'd hate the corn chowder because it calls for crumbled
bacon but I like it a lot.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 08:54:51 -0700 (PDT), odlayo >
wrote:

>On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 10:03:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On 6/12/2021 10:51 AM, odlayo wrote:
>> > Not exactly soup weather now, but I’ll try to remember in a few months.

>> Is there really such a thing as "soup weather"? I live in the deep
>> south and I make and eat soup year round. Not with gingersnaps, though.

>I live in a real 4-season climate, am outside quite a bit, and try to avoid using air conditioning at home.
>
>Today will be around 90F and humid. I’m headed out soon for a few hours (without AC).
>
>In my world there is definitely soup weather, and this is definitely not it.
>
>I have access to some very good farmers markets and look forward to topnotch produce this time of year.
>
>I also look forward to the cooler months when local cabbage is plentiful. I like seasonal cooking.
>
>Cabbage soup is the only food I add gingersnaps to (I make many types, rarely sweet-n-sour).
>
>I found a recipe that almost perfectly recreates a favorite soup from a long-gone local delicatessen.
>
>It turns out gingersnaps are an important ingredient. Was a surprise to me.

Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 08:47:04 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 10:04:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:

>> > I love those things.
>> >

>> I'm not a fan of Animal Crackers but I do like Gingersnaps. It's been a
>> long time since I bought any, though.

>They along with Chuckles candy and Chicken in a Biscuit crackers are still sold at the dollar store, Dollar Tree, I think.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:11:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-12 10:04 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> I love those things.
>>>

>> I'm not a fan of Animal Crackers but I do like Gingersnaps.* It's been a
>> long time since I bought any, though.
>>

>I buy them frequently. They tend to be a little lower in fat and sugar
>than other commercial cookies. More important..... I love ginger.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 6/12/2021 10:51 AM, odlayo wrote:
>> Not exactly soup weather now, but I’ll try to remember in a few months.

>Is there really such a thing as "soup weather"? I live in the deep
>south and I make and eat soup year round. Not with gingersnaps, though.
>
>Jill

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:02:14 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/12/2021 10:44 AM, US Janet wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 03:50:50 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>>> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>>> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
>>> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>>>
>>> Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
>>> remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
>>> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
>>> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)
>>>
>>> I see one more bag in my near future (next week), and then probably
>>> bot ever again in my lifetime. And NO. I will NOT use any in
>>> sauerbraten. I don't know they were thinking mixing cookies and
>>> beef. Germans, Pbbbt!
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I can't remember when I last bought them. Maybe I'll get some next
>> time at the store.
>> Janet US
>>

>I bought some gingersnaps a couple of years ago. I don't recall the
>brand but that bag looks familiar. They were a bit more spicy than I
>remembered, too; hadn't had them since I was a kid. I like gingersnaps
>because they aren't too terribly sweet. I may pick up a bag if I go
>down the cookie aisle the next time I'm at the grocery store.
>
>One type of cookie I *do* like but is a rare indulgence is Danish
>Wedding Cookies. I think the brand is Keebler. They are small, they
>are covered in powdered sugar... oh, here's a link to a recipe:
>
>https://www.food.com/recipe/i-love-d...cookies-175454
>
>Funny thing. When I got my first job in an office (back when dinosaurs
>roamed the earth) the company had a weekly "open house" for potential
>clients. I was handed $20 from petty cash and told to go to the grocery
>store and buy some "fancy cookies" to go with the coffee and tea. Fancy
>to me meant something different from chocolate chip and PB cookies,
>lthough I did buy some of those, too (can't fail with old favourites)
>The Keebler "Danish Wedding Cookies" were the real hit. I hadn't
>thought about them in 40 years. Saw a bag on the shelf a couple of
>years ago. Hmmmm. Yes, they are still delicious!
>
>Jill

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 3:50:57 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
>> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>>
>> Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
>> remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
>> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
>> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)
>>
>> I see one more bag in my near future (next week), and then probably
>> bot ever again in my lifetime. And NO. I will NOT use any in
>> sauerbraten. I don't know they were thinking mixing cookies and
>> beef. Germans, Pbbbt!
>>
>> -sw

>When Nabisco redesigned their circus box to eliminate the cages, I figured I should buy one last box.
>
>I wasn’t a big fan of animal crackers as a child, and thought they might be worse now. Terrible!
>
>Likewise, it had been many years since my last gingersnap.
>
>Bought a sack a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised. I’ve bought a few since.
>
>If cookies-n-beef skeeve you out, how about cookies-n-cabbage?
>
>Gingersnaps are an essential ingredient in my favorite deli-style sweet-n-sour cabbage soup.
>
>Not exactly soup weather now, but I’ll try to remember in a few months.

Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
>more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>
>Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
>remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
>horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
>theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)
>
>I see one more bag in my near future (next week), and then probably
>bot ever again in my lifetime. And NO. I will NOT use any in
>sauerbraten. I don't know they were thinking mixing cookies and
>beef. Germans, Pbbbt!
>
>-sw

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 16:37:56 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

snip
>I made a small pot (about 6 servings) of broccoli-cheese soup earlier
>today and have been contemplating getting the ingredients to make some
>corn chowder. You'd hate the corn chowder because it calls for crumbled
>bacon but I like it a lot.
>
>Jill

could you share the recipe or is it off the top of your head?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 08:36:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-12 4:50 a.m., Sqwertz wrote:
>> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
>> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>>
>> Wow, spicy mofos. I don't remember them being this spicy, but I
>> remember the bag design bag as clear as I remember the bags of
>> horehound candy. Oh, tehy're from Pennsyvania, that's why. And
>> theyr'e the animal cracker people too,l (haten ;em)

>I love those things.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:22:51 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> On 6/12/2021 4:50 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> I haven't had these for probably 30 years but didn't hesitate when
>>> I saw them at the store last week. It took me 6 days to sdecide I
>>> wanted some, and ate two of them. Then pulled out one more. Then 3
>>> more. Then 4 more. They're small, I can do that if I want :-P.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/sXMTzGKS/Gingersnaps.jpg
>>>
>>> Wow, spicy mofos.

>> Well done. Stauffer's makes ginger snaps *right*. Forget other brands

> ""enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine
> mononitrate [vitamin b1], riboflavin [vitamin b2], folic acid), sugar,
> palm oil, molasses, ginger, baking soda (for leavening), caramel
> color, salt, soy lecithin (an emulsifier), cinnamon, cloves, chili
> powder, red pepper"
>
> No xanthan gum!

Ahh, finally the little dutch cockroach has come out of the closet
and posted an ingredient list.

Good to see you back, fart breath.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 16:59:57 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Well done. Stauffer's makes ginger snaps *right*. Forget other brands

>> ""enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine
>> mononitrate [vitamin b1], riboflavin [vitamin b2], folic acid), sugar,
>> palm oil, molasses, ginger, baking soda (for leavening), caramel
>> color, salt, soy lecithin (an emulsifier), cinnamon, cloves, chili
>> powder, red pepper"
>>
>> No xanthan gum!
>>

>Ahh, finally the little dutch cockroach has come out of the closet
>and posted an ingredient list.
>
>Good to see you back, fart breath.

Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 16:59:57 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> ""enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine
>>> mononitrate [vitamin b1], riboflavin [vitamin b2], folic acid), sugar,
>>> palm oil, molasses, ginger, baking soda (for leavening), caramel
>>> color, salt, soy lecithin (an emulsifier), cinnamon, cloves, chili
>>> powder, red pepper"
>>>
>>> No xanthan gum!
>>>

>> Ahh, finally the little dutch cockroach has come out of the closet
>> and posted an ingredient list.
>>
>> Good to see you back, fart breath.
>>

> Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."

And you can stop smelling everyone's ass hole now, master druce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

odlayo wrote:

> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 10:03:46 AM UTC-5,
> wrote:
> > On 6/12/2021 10:51 AM, odlayo wrote:
> > > Not exactly soup weather now, but Ill try to remember in a few
> > > months.

> > Is there really such a thing as "soup weather"? I live in the deep
> > south and I make and eat soup year round. Not with gingersnaps,
> > though.

> I live in a real 4-season climate, am outside quite a bit, and try to
> avoid using air conditioning at home.
>
> Today will be around 90F and humid. Im headed out soon for a few
> hours (without AC).
>
> In my world there is definitely soup weather, and this is definitely
> not it.
>
> I have access to some very good farmers markets and look forward to
> topnotch produce this time of year.
>
> I also look forward to the cooler months when local cabbage is
> plentiful. I like seasonal cooking.
>
> Cabbage soup is the only food I add gingersnaps to (I make many
> types, rarely sweet-n-sour).
>
> I found a recipe that almost perfectly recreates a favorite soup from
> a long-gone local delicatessen.
>
> It turns out gingersnaps are an important ingredient. Was a surprise
> to me.

That reminds me of a simple one I have replicated from a street vendor
in Thailand. It's actually served a bit chilled.

Measurements not exact but close.

1 small peeled beet, sliced thin to 1/2 moons
2 cups cabbage (bottom end of a Napa, chopped small)
3 cups pork broth
3-5 bottom ends of green onion, root removed and sliced to small rounds
Chinese 5-spice (or similar mix) to taste
1-2 tsp sugar

You'd put it in a wide-mouth thermos and sip as you shopped, or have
with lunch. I actually cut the beet to little squares. Slightly
sweet, slightly salty (from the broth), slightly spicy. I don't know
if it has a name.

I got the pork broth out in town in Sasebo. Had a picture of a smiling
pig and a steaming teacup of broth. No 'english lettering' but picture
made it clear to add 1/4 tsp per 3/4 cup water. I made it a bit
stronger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:03:38 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> > On 6/12/2021 10:51 AM, odlayo wrote:
> >> Not exactly soup weather now, but I’ll try to remember in a few

> months.
> >
> > Is there really such a thing as "soup weather"? I live in the deep
> > south and I make and eat soup year round. Not with gingersnaps,
> > though.
> >
> > Jill

> I make soup all year too, but I prefer to eat the ginger snaps as is.
> Fall here is good soup time, lots of soup veggies are ready. One of
> my favorites is lima bean soup with ham hocks, and winter squash.

I like that too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 1:13:11 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:03:38 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
> >On 6/12/2021 10:51 AM, odlayo wrote:
> >> Not exactly soup weather now, but Ill try to remember in a few months.

> >Is there really such a thing as "soup weather"? I live in the deep
> >south and I make and eat soup year round. Not with gingersnaps, though.
> >
> >Jill

> I make soup all year too, but I prefer to eat the ginger snaps as is.
> Fall here is good soup time, lots of soup veggies are ready. One of
> my favorites is lima bean soup with ham hocks, and winter squash.

Adding vodka to tomato soup isn't a bad idea. And to chicken broth, either..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:20:28 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 1:13:11 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:03:38 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >Is there really such a thing as "soup weather"? I live in the deep
>> >south and I make and eat soup year round. Not with gingersnaps, though.
>> >
>> >Jill

>> I make soup all year too, but I prefer to eat the ginger snaps as is.
>> Fall here is good soup time, lots of soup veggies are ready. One of
>> my favorites is lima bean soup with ham hocks, and winter squash.

>Adding vodka to tomato soup isn't a bad idea. And to chicken broth, either.

Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bruce bowser wrote:
> Adding vodka to tomato soup isn't a bad idea. And to chicken broth, either..

?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 8:18:31 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> bruce bowser wrote:
> > Adding vodka to tomato soup isn't a bad idea. And to chicken broth, either..

> ?

Forget it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 7:20:31 PM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
> Adding vodka to tomato soup isn't a bad idea. And to chicken broth, either.

The bullshot -- beef consomme and vodka -- is a legit cocktail. Hot or cold.

I don't see why chicken broth couldn't be substituted for those who wish to avoid red meat.

I've been meaning to try a bullshot for ages, but I rarely have beef consomme or vodka on hand.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...l-drink-recipe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 12:08:02 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> You don't need the cookies, powdered ginger works better. For sour
> use a fresh lemon, for sweet I use raisons. I make a huge pot of
> cabbage soup in the cold weather when my giant cabbages are ready to
> harvest... actually it's sweet and sour stuffed cabbage soup... I fill
> an 18 qt. pot. Stuffed cabbage and the soup freeze well. The outter
> leaves get stuffed, the smaller inner leaves become part of the soup,
> nothing wasted. I also like chopped sauted cabbage and wide egg
> noodles, buttered.

We're talking about two very different soups. Yours sounds good too.

Trying to replicate my long-gone deli soup I tried many things including lemon juice, and dried ginger. Not very close.

Years ago, when I stumbled on a NY Times cabbage soup recipe I was surprised how similar it was.

The key ingredients were ginger snaps, Rokeach sour salt, and (lots of) sugar.

I don't make that version very often, but when I do it brings back pleasant memories of the long-gone deli.

I, too, am a big fan of stuffed cabbage and make it several ways.

My favorite is to wrap the filling in sour cabbage leaves, Balkan style.

I buy a whole head of fermented cabbage (kiseli kupus), like spherical sauerkraut. Good stuff.

Haluski -- cabbage and noodles -- is a satisfying meal, especially when kitchen stocks are low. Was mentioned here recently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 2:10:59 PM UTC-5, odlayo wrote:

> We're talking about two very different soups. Yours sounds good too.
>
> Trying to replicate my long-gone deli soup I tried many things including lemon juice, and dried ginger. Not very close.
>
> Years ago, when I stumbled on a NY Times cabbage soup recipe I was surprised how similar it was.
>
> The key ingredients were ginger snaps, Rokeach sour salt, and (lots of) sugar.
>
> I don't make that version very often, but when I do it brings back pleasant memories of the long-gone deli.
>
> I, too, am a big fan of stuffed cabbage and make it several ways.
>
> My favorite is to wrap the filling in sour cabbage leaves, Balkan style.
>
> I buy a whole head of fermented cabbage (kiseli kupus), like spherical sauerkraut. Good stuff.
>
> Haluski -- cabbage and noodles -- is a satisfying meal, especially when kitchen stocks are low. Was mentioned here recently.

Were you scared by a paragraph as a child?