Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gingersnaps

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 13:32:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 2:10:59 PM UTC-5, odlayo wrote:
>>
>> We're talking about two very different soups. Yours sounds good too.
>>
>> Trying to replicate my long-gone deli soup I tried many things including lemon juice, and dried ginger. Not very close.
>>
>> Years ago, when I stumbled on a NY Times cabbage soup recipe I was surprised how similar it was.
>>
>> The key ingredients were ginger snaps, Rokeach sour salt, and (lots of) sugar.
>>
>> I don't make that version very often, but when I do it brings back pleasant memories of the long-gone deli.
>>
>> I, too, am a big fan of stuffed cabbage and make it several ways.
>>
>> My favorite is to wrap the filling in sour cabbage leaves, Balkan style.
>>
>> I buy a whole head of fermented cabbage (kiseli kupus), like spherical sauerkraut. Good stuff.
>>
>> Haluski -- cabbage and noodles -- is a satisfying meal, especially when kitchen stocks are low. Was mentioned here recently.
>>

>Were you scared by a paragraph as a child?

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 1:57:40 PM UTC-4, odlayo wrote:
> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 7:20:31 PM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
> > Adding vodka to tomato soup isn't a bad idea. And to chicken broth, either.

> The bullshot -- beef consomme and vodka -- is a legit cocktail. Hot or cold.
>
> I don't see why chicken broth couldn't be substituted for those who wish to avoid red meat.
>
> I've been meaning to try a bullshot for ages, but I rarely have beef consomme or vodka on hand.

I'd say that when ordering the groceries to the house don't forget to add it, but listen... I find that mixed drinks and wine are too addictive. Beer is so much more manageable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 15:13:22 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 1:57:40 PM UTC-4, odlayo wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 7:20:31 PM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
>> > Adding vodka to tomato soup isn't a bad idea. And to chicken broth, either.

>> The bullshot -- beef consomme and vodka -- is a legit cocktail. Hot or cold.
>>
>> I don't see why chicken broth couldn't be substituted for those who wish to avoid red meat.
>>
>> I've been meaning to try a bullshot for ages, but I rarely have beef consomme or vodka on hand.

>I'd say that when ordering the groceries to the house don't forget to add it, but listen... I find that mixed drinks and wine are too addictive. Beer is so much more manageable.

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 6:13:25 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 1:57:40 PM UTC-4, odlayo wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 7:20:31 PM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
> > > Adding vodka to tomato soup isn't a bad idea. And to chicken broth, either.

> > The bullshot -- beef consomme and vodka -- is a legit cocktail. Hot or cold.
> >
> > I don't see why chicken broth couldn't be substituted for those who wish to avoid red meat.
> >
> > I've been meaning to try a bullshot for ages, but I rarely have beef consomme or vodka on hand.

> I'd say that when ordering the groceries to the house don't forget to add it, but listen... I find that mixed drinks and wine are too addictive. Beer is so much more manageable.

Then _you_ should avoid mixed drinks and wine. Not everybody has your problems.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-14 4:42 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 6:13:25 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
>>> The bullshot -- beef consomme and vodka -- is a legit cocktail. Hot or cold.
>>>
>>> I don't see why chicken broth couldn't be substituted for those who wish to avoid red meat.
>>>
>>> I've been meaning to try a bullshot for ages, but I rarely have beef consomme or vodka on hand.

>> I'd say that when ordering the groceries to the house don't forget to add it, but listen... I find that mixed drinks and wine are too addictive. Beer is so much more manageable.

> Then _you_ should avoid mixed drinks and wine. Not everybody has your problems.

He reminds me of my neighbour. He doesn't drink liquor because he will
get really runk really fast. The guy drinks lite beer..... by the case.
He starts by mid morning and sits in front of his house drinking all
day. He is rarely falling down drunk, but by mid afternoon he is
loaded. Frankly, I doubt that his BAC would ever be low enough that he
could drive legally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:40:28 AM UTC-10, odlayo wrote:
> On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 3:32:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>
> > Were you scared by a paragraph as a child?

> No, Ive been scared as an adult by long, unbroken blocks of text here on rfc. Some of it is a chore to read.
>
> As a new Google Groups user, but not new to usenet, Im not quite sure yet how it handles this and decided to err on the side of readability..
>
> I hadnt expected to post anything that long until I was a little more familiar with GG.

Thank you for joining the Forces of the Dark Side. You'll be receiving your orientation package in the mail soon.

The Emperor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAf0QnLFS7Q
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:53:11 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:40:28 AM UTC-10, odlayo wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 3:32:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > > Were you scared by a paragraph as a child?

> > No, Ive been scared as an adult by long, unbroken blocks of text here on rfc. Some of it is a chore to read.
> >
> > As a new Google Groups user, but not new to usenet, Im not quite sure yet how it handles this and decided to err on the side of readability.
> >
> > I hadnt expected to post anything that long until I was a little more familiar with GG.

> Thank you for joining the Forces of the Dark Side. You'll be receiving your orientation package in the mail soon.

I hope you don't think that there's a "good" corporation out there. Do you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 04:21:35 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:53:11 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

>> > No, Ive been scared as an adult by long, unbroken blocks of text here on rfc. Some of it is a chore to read.
>> >
>> > As a new Google Groups user, but not new to usenet, Im not quite sure yet how it handles this and decided to err on the side of readability.
>> >
>> > I hadnt expected to post anything that long until I was a little more familiar with GG.

>> Thank you for joining the Forces of the Dark Side. You'll be receiving your orientation package in the mail soon.

>I hope you don't think that there's a "good" corporation out there. Do you?

Hey, you make sense! Just when I had given up hope! Congrats!

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 4:42:31 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 6:13:25 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
> > > The bullshot -- beef consomme and vodka -- is a legit cocktail. Hot or cold.
> > >
> > > I don't see why chicken broth couldn't be substituted for those who wish to avoid red meat.
> > >
> > > I've been meaning to try a bullshot for ages, but I rarely have beef consomme or vodka on hand.

> > I'd say that when ordering the groceries to the house don't forget to add it, but listen... I find that mixed drinks and wine are too addictive. Beer is so much more manageable.

> Then _you_ should avoid mixed drinks and wine. Not everybody has your problems.

You don't know that. You are assuming.

Posted to rec.food.cooking