Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Countertop appliances

In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2021 8:53 AM, Snag wrote:
> Â* In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
> Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

Look at the Baratza. Works well, easy to change the grind if needed. I
did some research before buying it a few years back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2021 9:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/11/2021 8:53 AM, Snag wrote:
>> Â*Â* In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
>> Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises
>> occasionally .

> Look at the Baratza.Â* Works well, easy to change the grind if needed.Â* I
> did some research before buying it a few years back.

Reviews are great , but I'm not quite ready to drop 140 bucks for a
grinder . I think this B&D I'm using was around 40 bucks when I got it ,
I expect the same quality unit will be more than that now but not quite
that much higher .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
We shot them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 12:22:37 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:
> On 3/11/2021 9:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 3/11/2021 8:53 AM, Snag wrote:
> >> In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
> >> Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises
> >> occasionally .

> > Look at the Baratza. Works well, easy to change the grind if needed. I
> > did some research before buying it a few years back.

> Reviews are great , but I'm not quite ready to drop 140 bucks for a
> grinder . I think this B&D I'm using was around 40 bucks when I got it ,
> I expect the same quality unit will be more than that now but not quite
> that much higher .

I've got a Cuisinart that behaves pretty well.

<https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8-Supreme-Grind-Automatic/dp/B00018RRRK>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2021 11:56 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 12:22:37 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:
>>>

>>> Look at the Baratza. Works well, easy to change the grind if needed. I
>>> did some research before buying it a few years back.

>> Reviews are great , but I'm not quite ready to drop 140 bucks for a
>> grinder . I think this B&D I'm using was around 40 bucks when I got it ,
>> I expect the same quality unit will be more than that now but not quite
>> that much higher .

> I've got a Cuisinart that behaves pretty well.
>
> <https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8-Supreme-Grind-Automatic/dp/B00018RRRK>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That one's on the short list . Thanks !
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
We shot them

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2021 2:35 PM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 11:22:05 -0600
> in Message-ID: >
> Snag wrote :
>
>> Reviews are great , but I'm not quite ready to drop 140 bucks for a
>> grinder . I think this B&D I'm using was around 40 bucks when I got it ,
>> I expect the same quality unit will be more than that now but not quite
>> that much higher .

> As a DIYer, you know the false economy of buying/using less than top
> notch tools - and quality ain't cheap. Amortise US$140 over daily use
> every day of one year and that coffee grinder doesn't look exorbitantly
> expensive.
>
> As a rule, manual grinders are less expensive than electric. Is a
> manual grinder "good enough"?
>
> Red Herring - maybe your coffee grinder just needs a good cleaning.

Yeah , I know all about amortization ... still hesitate to spend that
on a coffee grinder . As to this one , it's not dirty , it's worn about
out . There's a certain noise that sleeve bearings make when they get
loose , and I've been hearing it more often lately .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
We shot them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:07:25 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 3/11/2021 8:53 AM, Snag wrote:
>> * In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
>> Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

>Look at the Baratza. Works well, easy to change the grind if needed. I
>did some research before buying it a few years back.

All great minds.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2021 4:14 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:07:25 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 3/11/2021 8:53 AM, Snag wrote:
>>> Â* In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
>>> Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

>> Look at the Baratza. Works well, easy to change the grind if needed. I
>> did some research before buying it a few years back.

> All great minds.....

Yes, thank you. My wife enjoyed good coffee and I bought her the best
grounds from around the world and used the best equipment to brew it.
It was my treat to her.

I did some research on various forums and such and Baratza seemed to be
the best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 16:57:16 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 3/11/2021 4:14 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> Look at the Baratza. Works well, easy to change the grind if needed. I
>>> did some research before buying it a few years back.

>> All great minds.....
>>

>Yes, thank you. My wife enjoyed good coffee and I bought her the best
>grounds from around the world and used the best equipment to brew it.
>It was my treat to her.

A great kindness.

Local coffees are a great souvenir.I recall the first time I did that,
too. Got some great beans and a French press, in of all
places...Paris.

>I did some research on various forums and such and Baratza seemed to be
>the best.

I have had mine long enough that I do not recall how I first heard of
it. I often seek info from Sweet Maria's.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 07:53:59 -0600, Snag > wrote:

> In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
>Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.

If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2021 9:57 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 07:53:59 -0600, Snag > wrote:
>
>> In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
>> Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

> Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.
>
> If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.

See my response to Ed . I'm not quite ready to spend that much ...
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
We shot them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 11:23:42 -0600, Snag > wrote:

>On 3/11/2021 9:57 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 07:53:59 -0600, Snag > wrote:
>>
>>> In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
>>> Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

>> Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.
>>
>> If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.
>>

> See my response to Ed . I'm not quite ready to spend that much ...

Understood.

Barzata sells refurbs on its website. Still not inexpensive, though.

https://www.baratza.com/shop/refurb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:57:51 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 07:53:59 -0600, Snag > wrote:
>
>> In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
>>Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

>Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.
>
>If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.

People who grind their coffee don't grind their meat. DUH

It makes far more sense to have the store where one buys coffee beans
to do the grinding with REAL grinders instead of those Toys R Us
grinders with fancy schmancy Italian names... Italy has never grown
even one bean. A&P has real coffee grinders.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 14:47:47 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:57:51 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 07:53:59 -0600, Snag > wrote:
>>
>>> In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
>>>Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

>>Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.
>>
>>If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.

>People who grind their coffee don't grind their meat. DUH
>
>It makes far more sense to have the store where one buys coffee beans
>to do the grinding with REAL grinders instead of those Toys R Us
>grinders with fancy schmancy Italian names... Italy has never grown
>even one bean. A&P has real coffee grinders.

Considering you're into nursing home food, I bet the coffee you make
resembles strong tea.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 14:47:47 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:57:51 -0500, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

>>> Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.
>>>
>>> If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.

>> People who grind their coffee don't grind their meat. DUH
>>
>> It makes far more sense to have the store where one buys coffee beans
>> to do the grinding with REAL grinders instead of those Toys R Us
>> grinders with fancy schmancy Italian names... Italy has never grown
>> even one bean. A&P has real coffee grinders.

> Considering you're into nursing home food, I bet the coffee you make
> resembles strong tea.

Nobody can sniff an asshole like you, master druce. ... Rock on dude.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 2:47:53 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:57:51 -0500, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 07:53:59 -0600, Snag > wrote:
> >
> >> In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
> >>Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

> >Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.
> >
> >If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.

> People who grind their coffee don't grind their meat. DUH
>
> It makes far more sense to have the store where one buys coffee beans
> to do the grinding with REAL grinders instead of those Toys R Us
> grinders with fancy schmancy Italian names... Italy has never grown
> even one bean. A&P has real coffee grinders.

There's no A&P here. Every grocery store with a grinder was self-serve.
If any in-store coffee grinders have survived the pandemic (most self-serve
things have been shut down), I still don't want to grind my coffee at
the store because of jackwagons who grind flavored coffee there.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 11:57:22 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 2:47:53 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:57:51 -0500, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

>> >Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.
>> >
>> >If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.

>> People who grind their coffee don't grind their meat. DUH
>>
>> It makes far more sense to have the store where one buys coffee beans
>> to do the grinding with REAL grinders instead of those Toys R Us
>> grinders with fancy schmancy Italian names... Italy has never grown
>> even one bean. A&P has real coffee grinders.

>There's no A&P here. Every grocery store with a grinder was self-serve.
>If any in-store coffee grinders have survived the pandemic (most self-serve
>things have been shut down), I still don't want to grind my coffee at
>the store because of jackwagons who grind flavored coffee there.

Slang term derived from the Freight or Chow wagons used in the late
19th century. These were often the last wagons in a wagon train,
making them the least favorable to drive due to the dust, waste, and
debris from the front of the train.

When used as in insult it refers to one's lack of intelligence,
implying the insultee is capable of no more than operating a Chow
wagon.
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Jack%20wagon>

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 2:57:25 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 2:47:53 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:57:51 -0500, Boron Elgar
> > > wrote:

> > >Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.
> > >
> > >If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.

> > People who grind their coffee don't grind their meat. DUH
> >
> > It makes far more sense to have the store where one buys coffee beans
> > to do the grinding with REAL grinders instead of those Toys R Us
> > grinders with fancy schmancy Italian names... Italy has never grown
> > even one bean. A&P has real coffee grinders.

> There's no A&P here. Every grocery store with a grinder was self-serve.
> If any in-store coffee grinders have survived the pandemic (most self-serve
> things have been shut down), I still don't want to grind my coffee at
> the store because of jackwagons who grind flavored coffee there.

Several COSTCO's that i've been in have coffee grinders that you can use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 15:12:14 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 2:57:25 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 2:47:53 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> > On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:57:51 -0500, Boron Elgar

>> > People who grind their coffee don't grind their meat. DUH
>> >
>> > It makes far more sense to have the store where one buys coffee beans
>> > to do the grinding with REAL grinders instead of those Toys R Us
>> > grinders with fancy schmancy Italian names... Italy has never grown
>> > even one bean. A&P has real coffee grinders.

>> There's no A&P here. Every grocery store with a grinder was self-serve.
>> If any in-store coffee grinders have survived the pandemic (most self-serve
>> things have been shut down), I still don't want to grind my coffee at
>> the store because of jackwagons who grind flavored coffee there.

>Several COSTCO's that i've been in have coffee grinders that you can use.

Pre-pandemic- the local ones no longer have them, though I suppose
that might vary.

15 or so years ago, the Torrance Costco had a huge roaster in-store.
The coffee was roasted decently, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-11 2:47 p.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:57:51 -0500, Boron Elgar
>
>>> In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
>>> Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

>> Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.
>>
>> If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.

> People who grind their coffee don't grind their meat. DUH
>
> It makes far more sense to have the store where one buys coffee beans
> to do the grinding with REAL grinders instead of those Toys R Us
> grinders with fancy schmancy Italian names... Italy has never grown
> even one bean. A&P has real coffee grinders.

Coffee tends to be much better when freshly ground. I used to use the
store grinders but had too many bags of beans ruined because someone who
used it before me had ground flavoured beans. It doesn't take much
residue to taint a whole of beans. I use my Delonghi for a medium fine
grind for drip coffee and coarse ground, but I get my espresso beans at
the corner bakery and have them grind it. They don't use theirs for
flavoured beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-11 12:59 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-03-11 2:47 p.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:57:51 -0500, Boron Elgar

>>> Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.
>>>
>>> If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.

>> People who grind their coffee don't grind their meat. DUH
>>
>> It makes far more sense to have the store where one buys coffee beans
>> to do the grinding with REAL grinders instead of those Toys R Us
>> grinders with fancy schmancy Italian names... Italy has never grown
>> even one bean.Â* A&P has real coffee grinders.
>>

> Coffee tends to be much better when freshly ground. I used to use the
> store grinders but had too many bags of beans ruined because someone who
> used it before me had ground flavoured beans.Â* It doesn't take much
> residue to taint a whole of beans. I use my Delonghi for a medium fine
> grind for drip coffee and coarse ground, but I get my espresso beans at
> the corner bakery and have them grind it. They don't use theirs for
> flavoured beans.

Should have read this before replying to Boron.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 17:28:45 -0700, Graham > wrote:

>On 2021-03-11 12:59 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-03-11 2:47 p.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:57:51 -0500, Boron Elgar

>>> People who grind their coffee don't grind their meat. DUH
>>>
>>> It makes far more sense to have the store where one buys coffee beans
>>> to do the grinding with REAL grinders instead of those Toys R Us
>>> grinders with fancy schmancy Italian names... Italy has never grown
>>> even one bean.* A&P has real coffee grinders.
>>>

>> Coffee tends to be much better when freshly ground. I used to use the
>> store grinders but had too many bags of beans ruined because someone who
>> used it before me had ground flavoured beans.* It doesn't take much
>> residue to taint a whole of beans. I use my Delonghi for a medium fine
>> grind for drip coffee and coarse ground, but I get my espresso beans at
>> the corner bakery and have them grind it. They don't use theirs for
>> flavoured beans.

>Should have read this before replying to Boron.

We all seem to be of the same opinion on this.

Flavored coffees are quite popular. I don't understand them the way I
don't understand what Domino sells as being pizza, but huge swathes of
shelves seem occupied with flavored coffees..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2021 2:59 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Coffee tends to be much better when freshly ground.

I've never noticed a difference between fresh ground each morning vs
grind a whole bag at the store grinder to last a week or two.

Flashback to my early married years. Wife bought a new bag of beans and
ground some each morning. That seems like just more time to wait for
your morning cup. Why do that.

So one day she was out somewhere and I decided to be the "helpful
husband" and I ground the entire bag of beans at one time and put the
grounds in a sealed canister.

Once she got home, I proudly showed her what I had done. I was expecting
high praise for being so helpful.

Boy, was that a mistake. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2021 10:31 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 3/11/2021 2:59 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Coffee tends to be much better when freshly ground.

> I've never noticed a difference between fresh ground each morning vs
> grind a whole bag at the store grinder to last a week or two.
>
> Flashback to my early married years. Wife bought a new bag of beans and
> ground some each morning. That seems like just more time to wait for
> your morning cup. Why do that.
>
> So one day she was out somewhere and I decided to be the "helpful
> husband" and I ground the entire bag of beans at one time and put the
> grounds in a sealed canister.
>
> Once she got home, I proudly showed her what I had done. I was expecting
> high praise for being so helpful.
>
> Boy, was that a mistake. lol

I have never been a coffee maven. I used to drink a couple of cups of
coffee before I went to work. I'm talking years ago. I had a Mr.
Coffee drip machine. No biggie. I do recall I liked the taste of
Folgers better than Maxwell House. Special beans? Freshly ground? Nope.

Once upon a time I belonged to a coffee club. Gevalia Kafe. They sent
me a really nice free drip coffee-maker for signing up. I sampled a few
coffees from around the globe. They tasted fine but I found out I
really don't care about coffee so I cancelled the membership. Got to
keep the coffee maker and a bonus nice stainless steel thermos.

I wish snag luck in finding a coffee grinder that suits him.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:31:32 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>On 3/11/2021 2:59 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Coffee tends to be much better when freshly ground.

>I've never noticed a difference between fresh ground each morning vs
>grind a whole bag at the store grinder to last a week or two.
>
>Flashback to my early married years. Wife bought a new bag of beans and
>ground some each morning. That seems like just more time to wait for
>your morning cup. Why do that.

You seem to be quality intolerant.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 9:31:43 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> On 3/11/2021 2:59 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Coffee tends to be much better when freshly ground.

Absolutely.

> I've never noticed a difference between fresh ground each morning vs
> grind a whole bag at the store grinder to last a week or two.

Dead taste buds.

> Flashback to my early married years. Wife bought a new bag of beans and
> ground some each morning. That seems like just more time to wait for
> your morning cup. Why do that.

It takes mere s.e.c.o.n.d.s. to grind what is needed each morning. Seconds.

> So one day she was out somewhere and I decided to be the "helpful
> husband" and I ground the entire bag of beans at one time and put the
> grounds in a sealed canister.
>
> Once she got home, I proudly showed her what I had done. I was expecting
> high praise for being so helpful.
>
> Boy, was that a mistake. lol

Smart woman. She knew you didn't have a clue about ground daily coffee beans
vs. coffee sitting in a bag or in a canister at home on the counter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:57:51 -0500, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 07:53:59 -0600, Snag > wrote:
>>
>>> In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
>>> Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

>> Encore by Baratza. I use mine daily.
>>
>> If you want to go fancier, go for the Vitruoso+ by Baratza.

> People who grind their coffee don't grind their meat. DUH
>
> It makes far more sense to have the store where one buys coffee beans
> to do the grinding with REAL grinders instead of those Toys R Us
> grinders with fancy schmancy Italian names... Italy has never grown
> even one bean. A&P has real coffee grinders.

I remember when cathy ****ed that dago last year. He shit when he
found out she wasn't a 100% negro.

Good you paid him that $200.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-11 8:53 a.m., Snag wrote:
> Â* In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
> Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

I have had a DeLonghi burr grinder for at least 5 years. It works fine.
It is easy enough to clean out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 07:53:59 -0600, Snag > wrote:

> In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
>Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .

Maybe search for Bill Burr on Grindr?

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 7:54:02 AM UTC-6, Snag wrote:

> In my case , I'm looking for a decent conical burr coffee grinder .
> Mine's about 15 years old and starting to make funny noises occasionally .
> --
> Snag

Well, I was going to recommend the Bodum Bistro, but good heavens! They've
shot through the roof in price considering what I bought mine for about a hundred
years ago.

If and when this one bites the dust, I'll take a closer look at that Cuisinart that
Cindy recommended.