Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For the vegetarians

I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing astounding. I
like to have it handy all the time and it comes from my desire to
reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North Americans are
known for.

Today's blend was exceptional.

*Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.

Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip ends
and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some corn that
got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of asparagus ends!
Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was trying to find room and
tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be blanched first).

I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
making a broth with them. If you get fresh asparagus often and chop
the ends off that may be woody, save those.

This time I had so many veggies in there, I got only about 2 quarts
after straining out all the veggies, but it's one of the better mixes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

cshenk wrote:

> I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing astounding. I
> like to have it handy all the time and it comes from my desire to
> reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North Americans are
> known for.
>
> Today's blend was exceptional.
>
> *Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
> peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.
>
> Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip ends
> and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some corn that
> got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of asparagus ends!
> Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was trying to find room and
> tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be blanched first).
>
> I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
> Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
> flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
> making a broth with them. If you get fresh asparagus often and chop
> the ends off that may be woody, save those.
>
> This time I had so many veggies in there, I got only about 2 quarts
> after straining out all the veggies, but it's one of the better mixes.

"garbage ingredients" = "garbage broth"

Sounds like some shit a cartoon 1930's hobo would make in a tin can over an open fire...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 6:23:17 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
>
> > I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing astounding. I
> > like to have it handy all the time and it comes from my desire to
> > reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North Americans are
> > known for.
> >
> > Today's blend was exceptional.
> >
> > *Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
> > peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.
> >
> > Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip ends
> > and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some corn that
> > got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of asparagus ends!
> > Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was trying to find room and
> > tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be blanched first).
> >
> > I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
> > Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
> > flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
> > making a broth with them. If you get fresh asparagus often and chop
> > the ends off that may be woody, save those.
> >
> > This time I had so many veggies in there, I got only about 2 quarts
> > after straining out all the veggies, but it's one of the better mixes.

> "garbage ingredients" = "garbage broth"
>
> Sounds like some shit a cartoon 1930's hobo would make in a tin can over an open fire...

Hey, I wouldn't want anything to do with it, but if they enjoy it it is
certainly both virtuous and healthful.

> --
> Best
> Greg

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 16:33:42 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 6:23:17 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:

>> "garbage ingredients" = "garbage broth"
>>
>> Sounds like some shit a cartoon 1930's hobo would make in a tin can over an open fire...
>>

>Hey, I wouldn't want anything to do with it, but if they enjoy it it is
>certainly both virtuous and healthful.

Vegetarianism is indeed virtuous. Carnivores actually hate vegetarians
for their moral superiority.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:
> On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 6:23:17 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:
> > cshenk wrote:
> >
> > > I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing astounding. I
> > > like to have it handy all the time and it comes from my desire to
> > > reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North Americans are
> > > known for.
> > >
> > > Today's blend was exceptional.
> > >
> > > *Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
> > > peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.
> > >
> > > Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip ends
> > > and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some corn that
> > > got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of asparagus ends!
> > > Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was trying to find room and
> > > tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be blanched first).
> > >
> > > I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
> > > Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
> > > flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
> > > making a broth with them. If you get fresh asparagus often and chop
> > > the ends off that may be woody, save those.
> > >
> > > This time I had so many veggies in there, I got only about 2 quarts
> > > after straining out all the veggies, but it's one of the better mixes.

> > "garbage ingredients" = "garbage broth"
> >
> > Sounds like some shit a cartoon 1930's hobo would make in a tin can over an open fire...
> >

> Hey, I wouldn't want anything to do with it, but if they enjoy it it is
> certainly both virtuous and healthful.

Why would anyone make a broth - or *anything* - out of garbage pail scrapings...same as peeps making "chicken broth" outta chicken backs, etc....and then post it on a public forum...UCK...!!!

Ca - wole's "recipe" is "exceptional" alright -- "exceptional" in its *woefulness*...she'd be better off using a cheap bullion cube...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 17:53:16 -0600, cshenk wrote:

> ...it was turnip ends... asparagus ends... fair amount of Broccoli ...

I smell farts.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 22:08:48 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 17:53:16 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
>> ...it was turnip ends... asparagus ends... fair amount of Broccoli ...

>I smell farts.

Open a window.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Master Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 22:08:48 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 17:53:16 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> ...it was turnip ends... asparagus ends... fair amount of Broccoli ...

>> I smell farts.

> Open a window.

Why? You love dutch ovens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 10:58:40 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Master Bruce wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 22:08:48 -0600, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:

> >> I smell farts.

> > Open a window.
> >

> Why? You love dutch ovens.

Wiki:

"A Dutch oven is a slang term for lying in bed with another person and pulling the covers over the person's head while flatulating, thereby creating an unpleasant situation in an enclosed space. This is done as a prank or by accident to one's sleeping partner..."

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021 Jan 9, , Master Bruce wrote
(in >):

> Vegetarianism is indeed virtuous. Carnivores actually hate vegetarians
> for their moral superiority.

You are confusing hate with indifference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 00:10:04 -0800, Leo >
wrote:

>On 2021 Jan 9, , Master Bruce wrote
>(in >):
>
>> Vegetarianism is indeed virtuous. Carnivores actually hate vegetarians
>> for their moral superiority.

>You are confusing hate with indifference.

I think I can tell the difference. It's kind of hard to miss in RFC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 7:57:32 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:

> Why would anyone make a broth - or *anything* - out of garbage pail scrapings...same as peeps making "chicken broth" outta chicken backs, etc....and then post it on a public forum...UCK...!!!

Let's analyze this a moment. I have a stalk of asparagus. I cut off the bottom and
save it in the refrigerator to make stock. I steam the rest and have it right away.
What's the difference between the area above the cut and below the cut?
As far as I can see: tenderness.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 2:18:55 AM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 00:10:04 -0800, Leo >
> wrote:
> >On 2021 Jan 9, , Master Bruce wrote
> >(in >):
> >
> >> Vegetarianism is indeed virtuous. Carnivores actually hate vegetarians
> >> for their moral superiority.

> >You are confusing hate with indifference.

> I think I can tell the difference. It's kind of hard to miss in RFC

Folks might dislike *preachy* vegetarians.

Winter's best friend is vegetarian. You should read my book.

************
On the drive back, they detoured in Columbia, Missouri's big university town,
and stopped at a pizza parlor. "Let's get the Masterpiece," said Winter. Chloe
said she thought that sounded great. "I'm so relieved," said Winter, "because
you always worry when a new person comes into the family, that there's
going to be something really weird about them, and vegetarian is weird."

"Don't listen to her, Chloe," said Eric. "Her best friend is a vegetarian."
************

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 17:53:16 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing astounding. I
>like to have it handy all the time and it comes from my desire to
>reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North Americans are
>known for.
>
>Today's blend was exceptional.
>
>*Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
>peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.
>
>Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip ends
>and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some corn that
>got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of asparagus ends!
>Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was trying to find room and
>tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be blanched first).
>
>I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
>Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
>flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
>making a broth with them.

Brocccoli stems are excellent peeled and diced into a salad, no
cooking required.
The woody ends of asparagus should be snapped off at the produce
department before weighing at the checkout.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 17:53:16 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > ...it was turnip ends... asparagus ends... fair amount of Broccoli

> I smell farts.
>
> -sw

LOL, not from broth.

As usual, GM tries to insinuate it's garbage veggies when it's not.
It's just root ends, ends of asparagus, peels from fresh veggies and a
mistakenly frozen broccoli (pre-blanching).

This sort of simple non-waste is good for the environment. Many of us
don't live where we have livestock to feed or room for a real compost
setup. Nor can we willy-nilly toss it out the window for the deer and
critters to eat, or just rot away.

Anyway, I rarely have mistreated broccoli or aspargus ends so added a
post that they make good additions for those who discard the stems.

If it's not clear, here is what happens.

Those same veggies I used, have the ends and peels put to the side and
then gathered as sent via diesel truck to another facility where they
are boiled and strained, then boxed and put on a truck to be delivered
eventually to your store where you buy it feeling all virtuous as you
toss out the fresher better _same_ peels in your trash.... and eat from
a lesser quality box you could have better made (and healthier) at home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 16:33:42 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 6:23:17 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:
>> cshenk wrote:
>>
>> > I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing astounding. I
>> > like to have it handy all the time and it comes from my desire to
>> > reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North Americans are
>> > known for.
>> >
>> > Today's blend was exceptional.
>> >
>> > *Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
>> > peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.
>> >
>> > Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip ends
>> > and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some corn that
>> > got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of asparagus ends!
>> > Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was trying to find room and
>> > tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be blanched first).
>> >
>> > I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
>> > Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
>> > flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
>> > making a broth with them. If you get fresh asparagus often and chop
>> > the ends off that may be woody, save those.
>> >
>> > This time I had so many veggies in there, I got only about 2 quarts
>> > after straining out all the veggies, but it's one of the better mixes.

>> "garbage ingredients" = "garbage broth"
>>
>> Sounds like some shit a cartoon 1930's hobo would make in a tin can over an open fire...
>>

>Hey, I wouldn't want anything to do with it, but if they enjoy it it is
>certainly both virtuous and healthful.
>>
>> --
>> Best
>> Greg

>--Bryan

Makes far more sense tossing those trimmings out my window for the
critters... always gone before sunrise... none wasted, all expertly
composted by Bambi's mom. It's inane to waste fuel cooking the
nutrition out of those tough fiberous scraps, heat destroys vitamins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 11:50:22 +1100, Master Bruce
> wrote:

>On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 16:33:42 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 6:23:17 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:

>>> "garbage ingredients" = "garbage broth"
>>>
>>> Sounds like some shit a cartoon 1930's hobo would make in a tin can over an open fire...
>>>

>>Hey, I wouldn't want anything to do with it, but if they enjoy it it is
>>certainly both virtuous and healthful.

>Vegetarianism is indeed virtuous. Carnivores actually hate vegetarians
>for their moral superiority.

What's virtuous are the canneries donating all those scraps to the pig
farmers... larger eateries do likewise. Farmers here who raise Black
Angus make the rounds to the eateries after hours with their pick up
trucks, they collect all the leavings from the bread baskets too, and
also day old donuts from Dunkin. Hospitals, prisons and other
commissaries also donate leftover foods to livestock farmers. Swine
aren't too proud to dine on potato and carrot peels. I toss veggie
peelings out my office window, deer arrive several times a day to
dumpster dive. Meat trimmings get tossed off my deck for the birds,
all that fat is what gets them through the winter. Skimmed fat from
soups go in cardboard milk containers in our freezer, mixed with some
bird seed makes a treat for the birds that winter over.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 17:53:16 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> ...it was turnip ends... asparagus ends... fair amount of Broccoli

>> I smell farts.
>>
>> -sw

> LOL, not from broth.
>
> As usual, GM tries to insinuate it's garbage veggies when it's not.
> It's just root ends, ends of asparagus, peels from fresh veggies and a
> mistakenly frozen broccoli (pre-blanching).
>
> This sort of simple non-waste is good for the environment. Many of us
> don't live where we have livestock to feed or room for a real compost
> setup. Nor can we willy-nilly toss it out the window for the deer and
> critters to eat, or just rot away.

I always save my veggie scraps in a freezer bag. I add them to a pot
when making chicken stock. Made another batch the other day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 16:57:28 -0800 (PST), GM

>> > "garbage ingredients" = "garbage broth"
>> >
>> > Sounds like some shit a cartoon 1930's hobo would make in a tin can over an open fire...
>> >

>> Hey, I wouldn't want anything to do with it, but if they enjoy it it is
>> certainly both virtuous and healthful.

>Why would anyone make a broth - or *anything* - out of garbage pail scrapings...same
> as peeps making "chicken broth" outta chicken backs, etc....and then post it on a
>public forum...UCK...!!!

First thing I do when quartering a chicken is to cut out the spine and
feed it to the crows, I'm not into spinal fluid broth.

>Ca - wole's "recipe" is "exceptional" alright -- "exceptional" in its *woefulness*...she'd be
>better off using a cheap bullion cube...

I don't make broth to save money, I use whole chickens minus their
spines, and I skim off the fat... chickens are cheap. I don't mind
making chicken salad from simmered chicken meat... actually quite good
diced and mixed with mayo, herbs, and spices. Mayo is made with
vegetable fat, much more healthful than chicken fat. The chicken fat
gets mixed with bird seed, frozen with other meat fat and fed to the
wintering birds. Skimmed fat from chicken broth is not schmaltz,
schmaltz is the pan drippings from roasted chicken. Fat skimmed from
simmering/boiling water hasn't reached a nearly high enough
temperature, and even if heated in a pan will taste awful because all
the flavor is in the cooking water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 8:07:47 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> The woody ends of asparagus should be snapped off at the produce
> department before weighing at the checkout.

That is, essentially, theft, but everyone knows that you're a person of
shitty character.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 02:25:29 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 7:57:32 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>
>> Why would anyone make a broth - or *anything* - out of garbage pail scrapings...same as peeps making "chicken broth" outta chicken backs, etc....and then post it on a public forum...UCK...!!!

>Let's analyze this a moment. I have a stalk of asparagus. I cut off the bottom and
>save it in the refrigerator to make stock. I steam the rest and have it right away.
>What's the difference between the area above the cut and below the cut?
>As far as I can see: tenderness.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The tough woody part at the bottom end of asparagus is not nearly as
flavorful as the tender portion of the stalk... may as well make apple
juice from apple tree prunings. Asparagus bunches are typically held
together with a wide rubberband, I move that ruberbad a bit closer to
the asparagus tips and with one fell swoop I slice all those bottoms
off at once. I save the bottoms and enjoy nibbling the last of the
tender part remaining. When I get to the tough woody flavorless
portion I toss those into the composter. I keep a very nice looking
SS compost bucket on my kitchen counter, when full I carry it out to
one of or composters, we have two, one by the veggie garden for what
remains after the growing season, the other is near our back door for
kitchen trimmings. A lot of greenery and trimmings from the veggie
garden gets tossed over the fence for the critters, like outer cabbage
leaves. Somehow critters know which vegetable plants are toxic and
leave those, like tomato, eggplant, those in the nightshade family.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> First thing I do when quartering a chicken is to cut out the spine and
> feed it to the crows, I'm not into spinal fluid broth.

lol...you baby. The crows are smarter than you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 17:53:16 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing astounding. I
> >like to have it handy all the time and it comes from my desire to
> >reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North Americans are
> >known for.
> >
> >Today's blend was exceptional.
> >
> >*Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
> >peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.
> >
> >Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip ends
> >and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some corn that
> >got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of asparagus ends!
> >Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was trying to find room and
> >tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be blanched first).
> >
> >I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
> >Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
> >flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
> >making a broth with them.

> Brocccoli stems are excellent peeled and diced into a salad, no
> cooking required.
> The woody ends of asparagus should be snapped off at the produce
> department before weighing at the checkout.

Cshenkie wouldn't know a woody asparagus stem from her hubbie's knobby old penis, lol...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 10:24:15 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > First thing I do when quartering a chicken is to cut out the spine and
> > feed it to the crows, I'm not into spinal fluid broth.

> lol...you baby. The crows are smarter than you.

He knows enough to know that the spinal cord really does introduce a
slight off flavor, but not enough to figure out how to pull it out. I too
throw away the portion of the spine between the breasts, as there's
almost no meat on it, but I pull the spinal cord out of the neck, and
throw it in the pot.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

cshenk wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 17:53:16 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> ...it was turnip ends... asparagus ends... fair amount of Broccoli

>> I smell farts.
>>
>> -sw

> LOL, not from broth.
>
> As usual, GM tries to insinuate it's garbage veggies when it's not.
> It's just root ends, ends of asparagus, peels from fresh veggies and a
> mistakenly frozen broccoli (pre-blanching).
>
> This sort of simple non-waste is good for the environment. Many of us
> don't live where we have livestock to feed or room for a real compost
> setup. Nor can we willy-nilly toss it out the window for the deer and
> critters to eat, or just rot away.

I always save my veggie scraps in a freezer bag. I add them to a pot
when making chicken stock. Made another batch the other day.

======

===

Do you do it with potato peel too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2021 11:42 AM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 10:24:15 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>> First thing I do when quartering a chicken is to cut out the spine and
>>> feed it to the crows, I'm not into spinal fluid broth.

>> lol...you baby. The crows are smarter than you.

> He knows enough to know that the spinal cord really does introduce a
> slight off flavor, but not enough to figure out how to pull it out. I too
> throw away the portion of the spine between the breasts, as there's
> almost no meat on it, but I pull the spinal cord out of the neck, and
> throw it in the pot.
>
> --Bryan

If I grill a whole chicken I spatchcock it and toss the spine. IMO, it
is the best way to cook a chicken. Easy and good results every time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 02:25:29 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 7:57:32 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>>
>>> Why would anyone make a broth - or *anything* - out of garbage pail scrapings...same as peeps making "chicken broth" outta chicken backs, etc....and then post it on a public forum...UCK...!!!

>> Let's analyze this a moment. I have a stalk of asparagus. I cut off the bottom and
>> save it in the refrigerator to make stock. I steam the rest and have it right away.
>> What's the difference between the area above the cut and below the cut?
>> As far as I can see: tenderness.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> The tough woody part at the bottom end of asparagus is not nearly as
> flavorful as the tender portion of the stalk... may as well make apple
> juice from apple tree prunings. Asparagus bunches are typically held
> together with a wide rubberband, I move that ruberbad a bit closer to
> the asparagus tips and with one fell swoop I slice all those bottoms
> off at once. I save the bottoms and enjoy nibbling the last of the
> tender part remaining. When I get to the tough woody flavorless
> portion I toss those into the composter. I keep a very nice looking
> SS compost bucket on my kitchen counter, when full I carry it out to
> one of or composters, we have two, one by the veggie garden for what
> remains after the growing season, the other is near our back door for
> kitchen trimmings. A lot of greenery and trimmings from the veggie
> garden gets tossed over the fence for the critters, like outer cabbage
> leaves. Somehow critters know which vegetable plants are toxic and
> leave those, like tomato, eggplant, those in the nightshade family.

The finest garbage system in the universe Popeye!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 09:07:40 -0500, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Brocccoli stems are excellent peeled and diced into a salad, no
> cooking required.
> The woody ends of asparagus should be snapped off at the produce
> department before weighing at the checkout.

Do you peel the oranges, too?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > > I smell farts.
> > >
> > > -sw

> > LOL, not from broth.
> >
> > As usual, GM tries to insinuate it's garbage veggies when it's not.
> > It's just root ends, ends of asparagus, peels from fresh veggies
> > and a mistakenly frozen broccoli (pre-blanching).
> >
> > This sort of simple non-waste is good for the environment. Many of
> > us don't live where we have livestock to feed or room for a real
> > compost setup. Nor can we willy-nilly toss it out the window for
> > the deer and critters to eat, or just rot away.

> I always save my veggie scraps in a freezer bag. I add them to a pot
> when making chicken stock. Made another batch the other day.

Same concept. I just make veggie broth but no reason why they wouldn't
enhance a meat stock or bone stock!

I had intended to give a whirl at it with the chicken bones but Don's
so used to tossing fresh bones out fast (due to our dogs, got taken out
right away) that he didn't think of it.

Meantime, I'd made a rather nice meaty crockpot chicken and vegetable
stew yesterday so the trimmings went to the veggie broth along with the
other things mentioned.

I am out of fresh poultry stock now other than my Knorrs powdered and
some 'emergency supplies' of boxed. It tastes fairly good but is
higher in sodium than I like for Don. Has a lot of stabilizers and
stuff too but so much of what we make now is scratch, a little here and
there of such won't hurt us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
> cshenk wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > > I smell farts.
> > >
> > > -sw

> > LOL, not from broth.
> >
> > As usual, GM tries to insinuate it's garbage veggies when it's not.
> > It's just root ends, ends of asparagus, peels from fresh veggies
> > and a mistakenly frozen broccoli (pre-blanching).
> >
> > This sort of simple non-waste is good for the environment. Many of
> > us don't live where we have livestock to feed or room for a real
> > compost setup. Nor can we willy-nilly toss it out the window for
> > the deer and critters to eat, or just rot away.

> I always save my veggie scraps in a freezer bag. I add them to a pot
> when making chicken stock. Made another batch the other day.
>
> ======
>
> ===
>
> Do you do it with potato peel too?

I don't because I like a clear broth, but I imagine it would work
(scrub them well first of course!).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 17:53:16 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing
> > astounding. I like to have it handy all the time and it comes from
> > my desire to reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North
> > Americans are known for.
> >
> > Today's blend was exceptional.
> >
> > *Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
> > peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.
> >
> > Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip
> > ends and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some
> > corn that got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of
> > asparagus ends! Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was
> > trying to find room and tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be
> > blanched first).
> >
> > I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
> > Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
> > flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
> > making a broth with them.

> Brocccoli stems are excellent peeled and diced into a salad, no
> cooking required.
> The woody ends of asparagus should be snapped off at the produce
> department before weighing at the checkout.

Oh I love them. It's only this bunch got frozen as is. Frozen
broccoli doesn't appeal to me or Don. I gather blanch first before
freezing but definately not frozen unbagged for 2 weeks.

LOL, I love Don but he has to be watched when stowing groceries
sometimes.

As to snapping off the ends of asparagus here, it's sold by the bunch,
not weight. They don't appreciate people making a mess like that
except for 1 item:

Corn in husk will have a bin so you can at least partly peel to check
it. Some will quickly husk it all right there. Sold by the ear, not
weight. If you were going to steam or boil it right away, it's
reasonable to do it that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 14:35:44 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 09:07:40 -0500, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> Brocccoli stems are excellent peeled and diced into a salad, no
>> cooking required.
>> The woody ends of asparagus should be snapped off at the produce
>> department before weighing at the checkout.

>Do you peel the oranges, too?
>
>-sw

Citrus isn't usually sold by weight. Although lemons are often sold
by weight here, in 2 1/2 pound bags.
Still I break off the bottoms of asparagus before they're weighed.
leafy vegetables like cabbage is sold by weight here but I break off
the outter leaves. Why should I pay for the inedible parts. Those
outer leaves are fed to livestock. Same as from my veggie garden,
deer don't feel slighted by eating the parts of plants that we don't
eat, they'll eat all the cabbage leaves that I toss over the fence.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 8:07:47 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > The woody ends of asparagus should be snapped off at the produce
> > department before weighing at the checkout.

> That is, essentially, theft, but everyone knows that you're a person
> of shitty character.
>
> --Bryan

It is if that it sold by weight. Here, it's sold by 'bunch' so
wouldn't matter except no one wants to have to move someone elses mess
out of the way to get at the vegetables. That's just rude to the other
customers and the store people to make them have to clean it up after
him.

Then again, it's dangerous to walk under his windows since he tosses
what he calls garbage out them onto his porch and yard. Love to get
hit by a flying raw chicken back eh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 14:35:44 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 09:07:40 -0500, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Brocccoli stems are excellent peeled and diced into a salad, no
>>> cooking required.
>>> The woody ends of asparagus should be snapped off at the produce
>>> department before weighing at the checkout.

>> Do you peel the oranges, too?
>>
>> -sw

> Citrus isn't usually sold by weight. Although lemons are often sold
> by weight here, in 2 1/2 pound bags.
> Still I break off the bottoms of asparagus before they're weighed.
> leafy vegetables like cabbage is sold by weight here but I break off
> the outter leaves. Why should I pay for the inedible parts. Those
> outer leaves are fed to livestock. Same as from my veggie garden,
> deer don't feel slighted by eating the parts of plants that we don't
> eat, they'll eat all the cabbage leaves that I toss over the fence.

Popeye, when yoose do all this peeling and whacking up produce in
the stores, do yoose just throw all the garbage on the floor? Or do
you take it to their window and trow it out?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 19:31:23 -0500, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 14:35:44 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 09:07:40 -0500, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Brocccoli stems are excellent peeled and diced into a salad, no
>>> cooking required.
>>> The woody ends of asparagus should be snapped off at the produce
>>> department before weighing at the checkout.

>>Do you peel the oranges, too?
>>
>>-sw

> Citrus isn't usually sold by weight.

Oranges are sold by weight 88% of the time. Lemons and limes, no.

You're a cheapskate snake.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
> cshenk wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > > I smell farts.
> > >
> > > -sw

> > LOL, not from broth.
> >
> > As usual, GM tries to insinuate it's garbage veggies when it's not.
> > It's just root ends, ends of asparagus, peels from fresh veggies
> > and a mistakenly frozen broccoli (pre-blanching).
> >
> > This sort of simple non-waste is good for the environment. Many of
> > us don't live where we have livestock to feed or room for a real
> > compost setup. Nor can we willy-nilly toss it out the window for
> > the deer and critters to eat, or just rot away.

> I always save my veggie scraps in a freezer bag. I add them to a pot
> when making chicken stock. Made another batch the other day.
>
> ======
>
> ===
>
> Do you do it with potato peel too?

I don't because I like a clear broth, but I imagine it would work
(scrub them well first of course!).

====

Yes, thank you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> I always save my veggie scraps in a freezer bag. I add them to a pot
> when making chicken stock. Made another batch the other day.
>
> ======
>
> ===
>
> Do you do it with potato peel too?

Not potato peels. I never peel potatoes. I eat them whole.

Veggie scraps are usually onion ends, carrot ends, the occasional tomato
end or a whole tomato if it starts going soft. Usually add a few whole
carrots too. Celery roots and leafy ends too. Some other veggie parts
too as used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> I always save my veggie scraps in a freezer bag. I add them to a pot
> when making chicken stock. Made another batch the other day.
>
> ======
>
> ===
>
> Do you do it with potato peel too?

Not potato peels. I never peel potatoes. I eat them whole.

===

Hmm I have started to do that too!!! They are good

Veggie scraps are usually onion ends, carrot ends, the occasional tomato
end or a whole tomato if it starts going soft. Usually add a few whole
carrots too. Celery roots and leafy ends too. Some other veggie parts
too as used.

====

Thanks)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Thanks)

except you don't want to use or eat green potato peels.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 10:19:54 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"cshenk" wrote in message
>
>Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>> cshenk wrote:

>> > LOL, not from broth.
>> >
>> > As usual, GM tries to insinuate it's garbage veggies when it's not.
>> > It's just root ends, ends of asparagus, peels from fresh veggies
>> > and a mistakenly frozen broccoli (pre-blanching).
>> >
>> > This sort of simple non-waste is good for the environment. Many of
>> > us don't live where we have livestock to feed or room for a real
>> > compost setup. Nor can we willy-nilly toss it out the window for
>> > the deer and critters to eat, or just rot away.

>> I always save my veggie scraps in a freezer bag. I add them to a pot
>> when making chicken stock. Made another batch the other day.
>>
>> ======
>>
>> Do you do it with potato peel too?

>I don't because I like a clear broth, but I imagine it would work
>(scrub them well first of course!).
>
>====
>
> Yes, thank you!

If you had herds of deer you'd think differently.