Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pandemic Dinner

On 2020-12-15 10:24 a.m., Graham wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 10:19:11 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> While I disparage the run of the mill Italian restaurants I have
>> experienced I have to say that I had an outstanding meal at a place in
>> Newport Beach CA. I had shrimp risotto and it was incredible. Everyone
>> else loved their meals.One of our party was Italian and he was impressed
>> as the rest of us.

> I once went to an Italian restaurant that had a good reputation. The
> risotto I had was made with long-grain rice! I never went back and it
> closed not long afterwards.

It's pretty sad that Italian restaurants usually have such low standards
that they can get away with something like that. Even worse..... They
can do that sort of thing and still have a good reputation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:46:40 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2020-12-15 10:24 a.m., Graham wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 10:19:11 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>>> While I disparage the run of the mill Italian restaurants I have
>>> experienced I have to say that I had an outstanding meal at a place in
>>> Newport Beach CA. I had shrimp risotto and it was incredible. Everyone
>>> else loved their meals.One of our party was Italian and he was impressed
>>> as the rest of us.

>> I once went to an Italian restaurant that had a good reputation. The
>> risotto I had was made with long-grain rice! I never went back and it
>> closed not long afterwards.
>>

>It's pretty sad that Italian restaurants usually have such low standards
>that they can get away with something like that. Even worse..... They
>can do that sort of thing and still have a good reputation.

McDonalds has a good reputation too. At least with people like Gary,
but Gary's the average American so he represents a lot of people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 11:46:46 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-12-15 10:24 a.m., Graham wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 10:19:11 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> >> While I disparage the run of the mill Italian restaurants I have
> >> experienced I have to say that I had an outstanding meal at a place in
> >> Newport Beach CA. I had shrimp risotto and it was incredible. Everyone
> >> else loved their meals.One of our party was Italian and he was impressed
> >> as the rest of us.

> > I once went to an Italian restaurant that had a good reputation. The
> > risotto I had was made with long-grain rice! I never went back and it
> > closed not long afterwards.
> >

> It's pretty sad that Italian restaurants usually have such low standards
> that they can get away with something like that. Even worse..... They
> can do that sort of thing and still have a good reputation.

Long grain is ridiculous. They might have gotten away with using broken
rice, and that's cheap. I use it for chicken rice soup.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 12:03:10 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:46:40 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >> I once went to an Italian restaurant that had a good reputation. The
> >> risotto I had was made with long-grain rice! I never went back and it
> >> closed not long afterwards.
> >>

> >It's pretty sad that Italian restaurants usually have such low standards
> >that they can get away with something like that. Even worse..... They
> >can do that sort of thing and still have a good reputation.

> McDonalds has a good reputation too. At least with people like Gary,
> but Gary's the average American so he represents a lot of people.

I almost never eat McD's unless I'm on the road, but I like their food.
It's fast, predictable, and you can eat it at 75MPH on the highway.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 20:31:57 -0500, songbird >
> wrote:
>
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> OK, I see why you did not like them. Neither turkey nor coconut flour
>>> should be in the same room as a meatball.

>> heh, we agree on this!
>>

>>> Ground beef is good, better is 50% beef, 25% each of pork and veal
>>> Egg
>>> Stale Italian bread (breadcrumbs in a pinch)
>>> Salt and pepper
>>> Oregano
>>> Optional is grated cheese.
>>>
>>> Mix, make into balls. Fry to get a little crust on the outside, toss
>>> into the sauce for a couple of hours.

>> no garlic or parsley? those two are common in ours.
>> also an onion put through the blender, we like onion
>> in about everything one way or another.
>>
>> when we make them we usually are making a few hundred
>> at a time. we have five large pots going for the sauce
>> to cook them in once they have been browned.
>>
>> songbird

> Now I doubt you own a pot.

Or a 50 gallon steam kettle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:
> Nahhh i don't believe that!

what's wrong with cooking? isn't this rfc?

*shrug*

i read, write, and do other things, this is off season
now so i'm not gardening as much as i am when it is warmer
outside.

there's about an acre of gardens and decorations here to
keep up so that's where i'm at most of the time.

if you want to check out the pics, you can look at the
website at the dot com in my e-mail address.

songbird

===

I would love to see them) Not sure how to get them from your email
address btw

I have been interested in all the things you cook and for whom) Good
for you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message news
cshenk wrote:
> I'm a bit like that and have some like minded friends. Maria beings me
> Enchiladas. I bring her bread.

my SIL has a new connection for tamalis. she
is from New Mexico and cooks a lot of Mexican style
foods, but not tamalis. she has a large family out
there still and they ship chili to us when it is in
season. yum.

my own cooking in this style was learned from my
sister's mother-in-law in Santa Fe and her son who
was married to my sister for some years. mole's,
enchiladas, chilis, pasole, etc. Mom being a wimp
for spices i don't cook any of this very often now.
just a simple red chili is a welcome blast to the
sinuses once in a while.

songbird

===

Oi!! Leave your Mom alone. I don't like spices either)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> I would love to see them) Not sure how to get them from your email
> address btw

take out the spaces w w w . a n t h i v e . c o m

> I have been interested in all the things you cook and for whom) Good
> for you

it keeps her busy and then it keeps me busy. i'm
absolutely not a morning person and here i was yesterday
at oh dark thirty in the morning bagging things up. we
got it all put together and then she had to do the
deliveries so she took off with the sinks and counters
full of a mess. i told her it was going to be there
when she came home, but as soon as she left i cleaned up
everything. and then i took a nap.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Oi!! Leave your Mom alone. I don't like spices either)

no, i don't razz her about any of this nor would
i sneak anything in her food. she has bad reactions
to some things so it would be abusive if i were to
do that.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "songbird" wrote:
>>> OG is blah... i can cook better than that in my sleep.

>> I can too. Back in the '80s I had ravioli there that was good. Since
>> then, I've never had anything edible. The salad's not even that good.

> LOL, you two! If you both can cook better than Olive Garden in your
> sleep, it's because you both dreamed that you could.
>
> They make a fortune on their food and franchises. Neither of you do.

I don't want to cook for a living. I have had people pay me for food. It's
just not something I'd want to do all day every day. I just checked the
website and the average meal there is around $20 for this area. You get a
plate of pasta or in some cases meat and veg, soup or salad and breadsticks.
Breadsticks are no longer unlimited. I can get pasta for $1 at Dollar Tree.
It isn't the best, but neither is theirs. I can get really good pasta at
Walmart. Sauce is cheap. For $20 I can easily feed 4 people and give them
good pasta, good soup, good salad, good breadsticks and maybe even a
dessert! Plus here you can only get takeout now. So by the time you get it
home, it's like leftovers.

I remember the flatbread appetizer I got around 10 years ago. It was like
unsalted crackers with canned tomatoes and a bit of cheese. It arrived at my
table, cold and soggy. I could even pick up the pieces. They fell apart in
my hand. IIRC it was $8.95. The taste was totally bland. No thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan Simmons" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 7:04:12 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > I can too. Back in the '80s I had ravioli there that was good. Since
>> > then, I've never had anything edible. The salad's not even that good.

>> LOL, you two! If you both can cook better than Olive Garden in your
>> sleep, it's because you both dreamed that you could.
>>
>> They make a fortune on their food and franchises. Neither of you do.

> Gary, try substituting Sonic for Olive Garden, and you might find a flaw
> in your logic.

We have some in this state now. Angela tried them twice. Said the food was
horrible. I can't understand the appeal of McDonalds either. I do hear that
the coffee is good. And come years back, they had a salad that I liked. Not
a meal. Just a vegetable salad with spinach and Swiss chard. They don't even
sell salad now.

But there are many places around here where people happily eat the food.
It's mediocre food that comes frozen and reheated. Places like Applebees I
just don't het it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2020-12-15 9:00 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>>> They make a fortune on their food and franchises. Neither of you do.

>> Making a fortune is not identical to cooking quality food.
>>
>> In practice, the inverse is usually true. Quality food requires good
>> ingredients and skillful preparation, which isn't cheap.
>>
>> Add enough salt, sugar, and fat, and a mediocre restaurant can make
>> a ton of money.
>>

> I get a kick out of people who rave about various restaurants, including
> chains, for having great food. Most of them get their food from Sysco or
> similar places. The macaroni and cheese or lasagna that you get at most
> of those places all come from the same place.

Yes! We have a chain here called Blazing Onion. Someone raved about their
apple dessert with a cutesy name. We tried the place. Everyone else loved
their meals, but Angela and I did not. Just burgers and fries. Took and hour
and 20 min. to arrive, cold. Meat burned on the outside, raw inside. The
fries were supposed to be unlimited so we asked for more, hoping they would
not be the same cold, soggy ones. They never arrived. The apple dessert did.
It was the same apple dumplings that they served at K Mart. Came frozen. I
will admit, they were good but this place acted like they invented them.

Thing is, the people who rave about such food, do not cook. I have been
shocked recently at how many people in my city do not cook. There's a local
food group and people are always asking where to get prepared foods. A
pregnant woman wanted mashed potatoes. Someone else wanted a green salad or
chicken soup. They all want takeout. Some of these people post pics every
day. Takeout for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don't know how they can
afford it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 08:04:01 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I can too. Back in the '80s I had ravioli there that was good. Since
>>> then, I've never had anything edible. The salad's not even that good.

>>LOL, you two! If you both can cook better than Olive Garden in your
>>sleep, it's because you both dreamed that you could.
>>
>>They make a fortune on their food and franchises. Neither of you do.

> That doesn't mean it's good food.

True. I learned that on our many cross country moves.

One place we stayed at had an indoor water park and there was a big room
next to it with tables and chairs. A family whipped out some things that
they'd bought at a grocery store and proceeded to make vegetarian tostadas.
Granted some of what they ate would have been better if heated, but there
was no microwave.

I told the mother how good the food looked. She seemed embarrassed and said
they were forced to eat this way because it was hard to find gluten free
food at a restaurant.

After that, I looked for grocery stores more than restaurants. Prepared
hummus with pita and raw veggies is better than mediocre restaurant food and
that's often all you'll find along the highway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon Martin" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 18:00:36 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"dsi1" > wrote in message
>>On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 3:01:49 PM UTC-10,
>>wrote:

>>> One of the few good food things about St. Louis is Italian restaurants.
>>> There
>>> are no pre-made meatballs. We seldom eat at Italian restaurants here
>>> because
>>> they are pricey. Our favorite Italian restaurant is in an unlikely
>>> locale,
>>> Eureka
>>> Springs, Arkansas. https://ermilios.com/ It's easier to justify
>>> expensive
>>> meals
>>> when one is on vacation. Eureka Springs is touristy, but not cheesy like
>>> Branson, MO, more like a toy town, and they have a neat old hotel.
>>> https://www.crescent-hotel.com/
>>> There are trolleys, little overpriced boutique shops, and it's all very
>>> laid back.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>>The big news here is that The Olive Garden has opened up in Honolulu.
>>We've
>>never had one of these famous restaurants on da rock. I have gone to an
>>Olive Garden once when I was at a seminar on the mainland. The instructor
>>took the class out for lunch. I can't recall if it was in CA, MN, or FL.
>>Like most restaurants, it was nothing special. I suppose it could have
>>been
>>special if I liked Italian food but I don't.
>>
>>---
>>
>>Wouldn't you think with a name like that, they would feature olives? And
>>yet? They don't. Ask for extra olives on the salad and you get two. I
>>don't
>>understand the appeal of that place at all.

> I've never been. I no longer go to any Italian restaurant, they all
> stopped serving real Italian food some 30 years ago. They don't even
> serve real Italian bread, it's all generic... very few even remember
> semolina bread. Most all ethnic restaurant owners are now pushing up
> daisies and their children became educated so are now doctors,
> lawyers, and accountants. Try to remember the last time you saw a
> garden decorated with scungili shells, that was when the last real
> Italian restaurant went out of business. I seriously doubt any Olive
> Garden employs any Italians... yoose got a better chance of finding
> Italian cooks in Pizza Hut... all pimple faced kids who don't know
> their mother's ethnicity or even know who's their daddy.

I looked up the history of meatballs last night. They're not Italian.
They're Italian American.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
> On 12/15/2020 6:48 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "songbird" wrote in message ...
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> OK, I see why you did not like them. Neither turkey nor coconut flour
>>> should be in the same room as a meatball.

>> heh, we agree on this!
>>

>>> Ground beef is good, better is 50% beef, 25% each of pork and veal
>>> Egg
>>> Stale Italian bread (breadcrumbs in a pinch)
>>> Salt and pepper
>>> Oregano
>>> Optional is grated cheese.
>>>
>>> Mix, make into balls. Fry to get a little crust on the outside, toss
>>> into the sauce for a couple of hours.

>> no garlic or parsley? those two are common in ours.
>> also an onion put through the blender, we like onion
>> in about everything one way or another.
>>
>> when we make them we usually are making a few hundred
>> at a time. we have five large pots going for the sauce
>> to cook them in once they have been browned.
>>

>> songbird
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Why do you cook such massive amounts??
>>

> Don't forget the 700 cookies in one day too. Evidently, nothing better to
> do..

I used to do that when I worked. I'd bring food to work. Or when I visited
my in-laws. People would just stop by to eat. Have to be careful not not to
cook too much. And I rarely bake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
> On 12/15/2020 6:48 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "songbird" wrote in message ...
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> OK, I see why you did not like them. Neither turkey nor coconut flour
>>> should be in the same room as a meatball.

>> heh, we agree on this!
>>

>>> Ground beef is good, better is 50% beef, 25% each of pork and veal
>>> Egg
>>> Stale Italian bread (breadcrumbs in a pinch)
>>> Salt and pepper
>>> Oregano
>>> Optional is grated cheese.
>>>
>>> Mix, make into balls. Fry to get a little crust on the outside, toss
>>> into the sauce for a couple of hours.

>> no garlic or parsley? those two are common in ours.
>> also an onion put through the blender, we like onion
>> in about everything one way or another.
>>
>> when we make them we usually are making a few hundred
>> at a time. we have five large pots going for the sauce
>> to cook them in once they have been browned.
>>

>> songbird
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Why do you cook such massive amounts??
>>

> Don't forget the 700 cookies in one day too. Evidently, nothing better to
> do..
>
> ====
>
> Nahhh i don't believe that!

I used to do that. I made cookies for Christmas. I usually spend a good 48
hours baking with a few breaks for meals or sleep. I liked to get everything
done at once. I'd be on my feet so long that they'd swell. I only did it
once a year though. I made two or more big platters for work but I brought
in extra to refill. I also wrapped some carefully to send to my in-laws.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2020-12-15 6:28 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 8:30:47 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>> On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 3:01:49 PM UTC-10,

>> food things about St. Louis is Italian

>>> The big news here is that The Olive Garden has opened up in
>>> Honolulu. We've never had one of these famous restaurants on da
>>> rock. I have gone to an Olive Garden once when I was at a seminar
>>> on the mainland. The instructor took the class out for lunch. I
>>> can't recall if it was in CA, MN, or FL. Like most restaurants, it
>>> was nothing special. I suppose it could have been special if I
>>> liked Italian food but I don't.

>> Olive Garden has shitty Italian food. If you want good Italian food
>> you have to go to a restaurant where the cooking staff actually knows
>> something about what they're doing and the food is made on the
>> premises, not defrosted or dispensed from 55-gallon drums.
>>
>> Only an idiot judges a cuisine by the output of a chain restaurant.

> I have had more Italian food in independently run restaurants than in
> chains. There is the occasional "upscale" Italian restaurant where the
> food is pretty good, but in most places around here, Italian restaurants
> sell various shapes of pasta with variations of red sauce, chicken
> parmesan and pizza.
>
> While I disparage the run of the mill Italian restaurants I have
> experienced I have to say that I had an outstanding meal at a place in
> Newport Beach CA. I had shrimp risotto and it was incredible. Everyone
> else loved their meals.One of our party was Italian and he was impressed
> as the rest of us.

I too have eaten at a wonderful place there but I can't remember the name.
The meal came with a salad. The salad was out of this world! All kinds of
veggies, cheese, beans, olives and red onions sliced so thin, I don't know
how they did it.

The problem for me was that the salad was so filling, I couldn't eat a meal.
Angela was just a toddler then. The two of us would share one meal but we
couldn't come close to finishing it. She loved the salad too. Normally my
husband would finish whatever food we didn't eat, but the portions were so
large, he could only eat a bite of two of our food. We lived too far away to
take the food home safely. Otherwise, we would have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2020-12-15 10:24 a.m., Graham wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 10:19:11 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>>> While I disparage the run of the mill Italian restaurants I have
>>> experienced I have to say that I had an outstanding meal at a place in
>>> Newport Beach CA. I had shrimp risotto and it was incredible. Everyone
>>> else loved their meals.One of our party was Italian and he was impressed
>>> as the rest of us.

>> I once went to an Italian restaurant that had a good reputation. The
>> risotto I had was made with long-grain rice! I never went back and it
>> closed not long afterwards.
>>

> It's pretty sad that Italian restaurants usually have such low standards
> that they can get away with something like that. Even worse..... They can
> do that sort of thing and still have a good reputation.

They can do it here because we don't have a lot of Italians here. A woman
posted to our local; food group. She posted a pic of a pizza on an elevated
stand. Underneath was the red and white checkered tablecloth and a shaker of
powdered Parmesan. She said, "Where can I get authentic Italian pizza like
this here?" She was serious! What a lot of ribbing she got for that.

The Easter Pie recipe that I make calls for Capicola. I could get that
anywhere in PA or NY. Here, only Whole Foods sold it. And that was prior to
Amazon taking it over. Not sure they still do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> After that, I looked for grocery stores more than restaurants. Prepared
> hummus with pita and raw veggies is better than mediocre restaurant food and
> that's often all you'll find along the highway.

a bag of carrots, peanut butter and jelly and some good
bread will go a long ways.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > I'm a bit like that and have some like minded friends. Maria
> > beings me Enchiladas. I bring her bread.

> my SIL has a new connection for tamalis. she
> is from New Mexico and cooks a lot of Mexican style
> foods, but not tamalis. she has a large family out
> there still and they ship chili to us when it is in
> season. yum.
>
> my own cooking in this style was learned from my
> sister's mother-in-law in Santa Fe and her son who
> was married to my sister for some years. mole's,
> enchiladas, chilis, pasole, etc. Mom being a wimp
> for spices i don't cook any of this very often now.
> just a simple red chili is a welcome blast to the
> sinuses once in a while.
>

> songbird

Works for me! BTW, Maria comes from South America. I think she said
Panama but I'll have to ask. I remeber mostly she moved here as an
early teen (12 or so?).

She's quite a varied cook and does several 'Mexican' recipes and some
other stuff I have no name for. We all have certain staples we use a
lot. Rice and white flour for me, Corn meals (several types) and limes
for her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> After that, I looked for grocery stores more than restaurants. Prepared
>> hummus with pita and raw veggies is better than mediocre restaurant food
>> and
>> that's often all you'll find along the highway.

> a bag of carrots, peanut butter and jelly and some good
> bread will go a long ways.

Carrots? Fine. Can do without the rest. Would rather ear veggies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:
> I would love to see them) Not sure how to get them from your email
> address btw

take out the spaces w w w . a n t h i v e . c o m

Thank you I will have a good
look this afternoon))

> I have been interested in all the things you cook and for whom) Good
> for you

it keeps her busy and then it keeps me busy. i'm
absolutely not a morning person and here i was yesterday
at oh dark thirty in the morning bagging things up. we
got it all put together and then she had to do the
deliveries so she took off with the sinks and counters
full of a mess. i told her it was going to be there
when she came home, but as soon as she left i cleaned up
everything. and then i took a nap.

songbird

=====

Awww good for you))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:
> Oi!! Leave your Mom alone. I don't like spices either)

no, i don't razz her about any of this nor would
i sneak anything in her food. she has bad reactions
to some things so it would be abusive if i were to
do that.

songbird

===

Good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 20:51:00 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"songbird" wrote in message news >
> my SIL has a new connection for tamalis. she
>is from New Mexico and cooks a lot of Mexican style
>foods, but not tamalis. she has a large family out
>there still and they ship chili to us when it is in
>season. yum.
>
> my own cooking in this style was learned from my
>sister's mother-in-law in Santa Fe and her son who
>was married to my sister for some years. mole's,
>enchiladas, chilis, pasole, etc. Mom being a wimp
>for spices i don't cook any of this very often now.
>just a simple red chili is a welcome blast to the
>sinuses once in a while.
>
>===
>
> Oi!! Leave your Mom alone. I don't like spices either)

Do you also mean herbs like parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme? Or just
spices like cinnamon, cloves and cumin? Or hot stuff like Thai
chillies? Or the blooming lot of them?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"songbird" wrote in message news >
> my SIL has a new connection for tamalis. she
>is from New Mexico and cooks a lot of Mexican style
>foods, but not tamalis. she has a large family out
>there still and they ship chili to us when it is in
>season. yum.
>
> my own cooking in this style was learned from my
>sister's mother-in-law in Santa Fe and her son who
>was married to my sister for some years. mole's,
>enchiladas, chilis, pasole, etc. Mom being a wimp
>for spices i don't cook any of this very often now.
>just a simple red chili is a welcome blast to the
>sinuses once in a while.
>
>===
>
> Oi!! Leave your Mom alone. I don't like spices either)

Do you also mean herbs like parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme? Or just
spices like cinnamon, cloves and cumin? Or hot stuff like Thai
chillies? Or the blooming lot of them?

====

No, not all herbs) Just spices like you describe. I don't like them
either so we are well matched)

Love the new nick btw <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 12:03:10 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> McDonalds has a good reputation too. At least with people like Gary,
> but Gary's the average American so he represents a lot of people.

The prettiest McD's is in Australia.
https://ar.pinterest.com/pin/840062136731410327/

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:59:27 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Master Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 20:51:00 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"songbird" wrote in message news >>
>> my SIL has a new connection for tamalis. she
>>is from New Mexico and cooks a lot of Mexican style
>>foods, but not tamalis. she has a large family out
>>there still and they ship chili to us when it is in
>>season. yum.
>>
>> my own cooking in this style was learned from my
>>sister's mother-in-law in Santa Fe and her son who
>>was married to my sister for some years. mole's,
>>enchiladas, chilis, pasole, etc. Mom being a wimp
>>for spices i don't cook any of this very often now.
>>just a simple red chili is a welcome blast to the
>>sinuses once in a while.
>>
>>===
>>
>> Oi!! Leave your Mom alone. I don't like spices either)

>Do you also mean herbs like parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme? Or just
>spices like cinnamon, cloves and cumin? Or hot stuff like Thai
>chillies? Or the blooming lot of them?
>
>====
>
> No, not all herbs) Just spices like you describe. I don't like them
>either so we are well matched)

Oh, ok.

>Love the new nick btw <g>

Thanks, I'll keep it for now then
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Master Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 20:51:00 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"songbird" wrote in message news >>
>> my SIL has a new connection for tamalis. she
>>is from New Mexico and cooks a lot of Mexican style
>>foods, but not tamalis. she has a large family out
>>there still and they ship chili to us when it is in
>>season. yum.
>>
>> my own cooking in this style was learned from my
>>sister's mother-in-law in Santa Fe and her son who
>>was married to my sister for some years. mole's,
>>enchiladas, chilis, pasole, etc. Mom being a wimp
>>for spices i don't cook any of this very often now.
>>just a simple red chili is a welcome blast to the
>>sinuses once in a while.
>>
>>===
>>
>> Oi!! Leave your Mom alone. I don't like spices either)

>Do you also mean herbs like parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme? Or just
>spices like cinnamon, cloves and cumin? Or hot stuff like Thai
>chillies? Or the blooming lot of them?
>
>====
>
> No, not all herbs) Just spices like you describe. I don't like them
>either so we are well matched)

Oh, ok.

>Love the new nick btw <g>

Thanks, I'll keep it for now then

==

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2020 8:01 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 7:39:00 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 12/13/2020 7:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> We don't eat croutons or meatballs unless I happen to find meatballs on
>>> sale for cheap.

>> I don't understand why anyone would buy meatballs. So easy to make and
>> the taste is so much better. Never order them in a restaurant either
>> because they are usually some pre-made crap in canned sauce.

> One of the few good food things about St. Louis is Italian restaurants. There
> are no pre-made meatballs. We seldom eat at Italian restaurants here because
> they are pricey. Our favorite Italian restaurant is in an unlikely locale, Eureka
> Springs, Arkansas. https://ermilios.com/ It's easier to justify expensive meals
> when one is on vacation. Eureka Springs is touristy, but not cheesy like
> Branson, MO, more like a toy town, and they have a neat old hotel.
> https://www.crescent-hotel.com/
> There are trolleys, little overpriced boutique shops, and it's all very laid back.
>
> --Bryan

I doubt many people will be eating at Ermilio's right now and certainly
not outdoors. A bunch of snow dumped on Eureka Springs over the weekend
and it's not melting. Even before that, thanks to Covid, Eureka is
deader than a doornail.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 9:36:14 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> On 12/14/2020 8:01 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> >> I don't understand why anyone would buy meatballs. So easy to make and
> >> the taste is so much better. Never order them in a restaurant either
> >> because they are usually some pre-made crap in canned sauce.

> > One of the few good food things about St. Louis is Italian restaurants. There
> > are no pre-made meatballs. We seldom eat at Italian restaurants here because
> > they are pricey. Our favorite Italian restaurant is in an unlikely locale, Eureka
> > Springs, Arkansas. https://ermilios.com/ It's easier to justify expensive meals
> > when one is on vacation. Eureka Springs is touristy, but not cheesy like
> > Branson, MO, more like a toy town, and they have a neat old hotel.
> > https://www.crescent-hotel.com/
> > There are trolleys, little overpriced boutique shops, and it's all very laid back.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >

> I doubt many people will be eating at Ermilio's right now and certainly
> not outdoors. A bunch of snow dumped on Eureka Springs over the weekend
> and it's not melting. Even before that, thanks to Covid, Eureka is
> deader than a doornail.

By Summer, there will be plenty of vaccine. You're probably familiar with Eureka
Springs, considering you called it Eureka, which is what the locals call it. It's a
one day drive from here, and we have gotten dirt cheap rates at the Crescent
Hotel because we'd stay there frequently, and I'd call the manager directly and
tell him that we were flexible as to the date, and would stay during weeks of low
occupancy. It's been about 15 years, but it's still the same guy. Maybe next
September...

> Jill

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2020 1:45 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 9:36:14 AM UTC-6, wrote:

>>> One of the few good food things about St. Louis is Italian restaurants. There
>>> are no pre-made meatballs. We seldom eat at Italian restaurants here because
>>> they are pricey. Our favorite Italian restaurant is in an unlikely locale, Eureka
>>> Springs, Arkansas. https://ermilios.com/ It's easier to justify expensive meals
>>> when one is on vacation. Eureka Springs is touristy, but not cheesy like
>>> Branson, MO, more like a toy town, and they have a neat old hotel.
>>> https://www.crescent-hotel.com/
>>> There are trolleys, little overpriced boutique shops, and it's all very laid back.
>>>
>>> --Bryan
>>>

>> I doubt many people will be eating at Ermilio's right now and certainly
>> not outdoors. A bunch of snow dumped on Eureka Springs over the weekend
>> and it's not melting. Even before that, thanks to Covid, Eureka is
>> deader than a doornail.
>>

> By Summer, there will be plenty of vaccine. You're probably familiar with Eureka
> Springs, considering you called it Eureka, which is what the locals call it. It's a
> one day drive from here,

A one day drive from Saint Louis? Okay. It is a one day drive from
Memphis across the Mississipi River over the Memphis/Arkansas bridge.
Across the flatlands of Arkansas until you turn and drive up towards the
Ozarks. Mountain country.

> and we have gotten dirt cheap rates at the Crescent
> Hotel because we'd stay there frequently, and I'd call the manager directly and
> tell him that we were flexible as to the date, and would stay during weeks of low
> occupancy. It's been about 15 years, but it's still the same guy. Maybe next
> September...
>>

> --Bryan

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the triangle image of the Crescent Hotel,
having seen it in person.

I hear about what is going on in Eureka nearly every day. Snow right
now and nothing is melting. Everything is shut down.

The Crescent Hotel in Eureka was designed to be a grand hotel. Eureka
Springs was once upon a time a place where ritzy folks went to "take the
waters". Healing hot mineral springs. Back around the turn of the 20th
century, it was the place where rich people went to play.

https://crescent-hotel.com/history.shtml

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/2020 11:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have some things to use up that I bought at the start of the pandemic.
> One is that powdered Parmesan cheese. I also have a lot of
> Parmesan/Romano combo. For awhile, someone was eating about a pound a
> day, putting it on anything and everything. Then consumption stopped
> unless I made something with it in there.

(massive snippage)

All I can say is I have not run out of food, haven't even thought about
"expiration dates" on things like dried cheese. Somehow, I always
manage to have a pantry full of food, even if it might not be exactly
what I feel like eating.

"someone" (we all know you're hinting about 'Justin') was eating about a
pound a of powdered parmesan/Romano cheese a day. Sorry, I don't
believe it. You need a scapegoat for throwing out food.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 1:42:57 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On 12/17/2020 1:45 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> >> I doubt many people will be eating at Ermilio's right now and certainly
> >> not outdoors. A bunch of snow dumped on Eureka Springs over the weekend
> >> and it's not melting. Even before that, thanks to Covid, Eureka is
> >> deader than a doornail.
> >>

> > By Summer, there will be plenty of vaccine. You're probably familiar with Eureka
> > Springs, considering you called it Eureka, which is what the locals call it. It's a
> > one day drive from here,

> A one day drive from Saint Louis? Okay. It is a one day drive from
> Memphis across the Mississipi River over the Memphis/Arkansas bridge.
> Across the flatlands of Arkansas until you turn and drive up towards the
> Ozarks. Mountain country.
> > and we have gotten dirt cheap rates at the Crescent
> > Hotel because we'd stay there frequently, and I'd call the manager directly and
> > tell him that we were flexible as to the date, and would stay during weeks of low
> > occupancy. It's been about 15 years, but it's still the same guy. Maybe next
> > September...
> >>

> > --Bryan
> >

> Yes, I'm quite familiar with the triangle image of the Crescent Hotel,
> having seen it in person.
>
> I hear about what is going on in Eureka nearly every day. Snow right
> now and nothing is melting. Everything is shut down.
>
> The Crescent Hotel in Eureka was designed to be a grand hotel. Eureka
> Springs was once upon a time a place where ritzy folks went to "take the
> waters". Healing hot mineral springs. Back around the turn of the 20th
> century, it was the place where rich people went to play.
>
> https://crescent-hotel.com/history.shtml

The Crescent Hotel is where my son said his first sentence, "I'm sowwy I
fwew up on Favah" (I'm sorry I threw up on Father).

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:24:13 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 1:42:57 PM UTC-6, wrote:

>> > By Summer, there will be plenty of vaccine. You're probably familiar with Eureka
>> > Springs, considering you called it Eureka, which is what the locals call it. It's a
>> > one day drive from here,

>> A one day drive from Saint Louis? Okay. It is a one day drive from
>> Memphis across the Mississipi River over the Memphis/Arkansas bridge.
>> Across the flatlands of Arkansas until you turn and drive up towards the
>> Ozarks. Mountain country.
>> > and we have gotten dirt cheap rates at the Crescent
>> > Hotel because we'd stay there frequently, and I'd call the manager directly and
>> > tell him that we were flexible as to the date, and would stay during weeks of low
>> > occupancy. It's been about 15 years, but it's still the same guy. Maybe next
>> > September...
>> >>
>> > --Bryan
>> >

>> Yes, I'm quite familiar with the triangle image of the Crescent Hotel,
>> having seen it in person.
>>
>> I hear about what is going on in Eureka nearly every day. Snow right
>> now and nothing is melting. Everything is shut down.
>>
>> The Crescent Hotel in Eureka was designed to be a grand hotel. Eureka
>> Springs was once upon a time a place where ritzy folks went to "take the
>> waters". Healing hot mineral springs. Back around the turn of the 20th
>> century, it was the place where rich people went to play.
>>
>> https://crescent-hotel.com/history.shtml

>The Crescent Hotel is where my son said his first sentence, "I'm sowwy I
>fwew up on Favah" (I'm sorry I threw up on Father).

His first lie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 2:25:08 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:24:13 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
> > wrote:

> >> A one day drive from Saint Louis? Okay. It is a one day drive from
> >> Memphis across the Mississipi River over the Memphis/Arkansas bridge.
> >> Across the flatlands of Arkansas until you turn and drive up towards the
> >> Ozarks. Mountain country.

> >> Yes, I'm quite familiar with the triangle image of the Crescent Hotel,
> >> having seen it in person.
> >>
> >> I hear about what is going on in Eureka nearly every day. Snow right
> >> now and nothing is melting. Everything is shut down.
> >>
> >> The Crescent Hotel in Eureka was designed to be a grand hotel. Eureka
> >> Springs was once upon a time a place where ritzy folks went to "take the
> >> waters". Healing hot mineral springs. Back around the turn of the 20th
> >> century, it was the place where rich people went to play.
> >>
> >> https://crescent-hotel.com/history.shtml

> >The Crescent Hotel is where my son said his first sentence, "I'm sowwy I
> >fwew up on Favah" (I'm sorry I threw up on Father).
> >

> His first lie

He's a nice guy, and he obviously felt bad about having thrown up on me.
He and my wife were both feeling ill that day. He had never put two words
together before that.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:32:22 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 2:25:08 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:24:13 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
>> > wrote:

>> >The Crescent Hotel is where my son said his first sentence, "I'm sowwy I
>> >fwew up on Favah" (I'm sorry I threw up on Father).
>> >

>> His first lie
>> >

>He's a nice guy, and he obviously felt bad about having thrown up on me.
>He and my wife were both feeling ill that day. He had never put two words
>together before that.

I believe you that he's a nice guy. I was only joking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2020 3:32 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 2:25:08 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:24:13 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
>> > wrote:

>>> The Crescent Hotel is where my son said his first sentence, "I'm sowwy I
>>> fwew up on Favah" (I'm sorry I threw up on Father).
>>>

>> His first lie
>>>

> He's a nice guy, and he obviously felt bad about having thrown up on me.
> He and my wife were both feeling ill that day. He had never put two words
> together before that.
>
> --Bryan

Hopefully they didn't both didn't feel ill after eating at Ermilios...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/12/2020 11:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have some things to use up that I bought at the start of the pandemic.
>> One is that powdered Parmesan cheese. I also have a lot of
>> Parmesan/Romano combo. For awhile, someone was eating about a pound a
>> day, putting it on anything and everything. Then consumption stopped
>> unless I made something with it in there.
>>

> (massive snippage)
>
> All I can say is I have not run out of food, haven't even thought about
> "expiration dates" on things like dried cheese. Somehow, I always manage
> to have a pantry full of food, even if it might not be exactly what I feel
> like eating.
>
> "someone" (we all know you're hinting about 'Justin') was eating about a
> pound a of powdered parmesan/Romano cheese a day. Sorry, I don't believe
> it. You need a scapegoat for throwing out food.

If he wasn't eating it, then I don't know what he was doing with it. It was
going somewhere!

My pantry is full too. I just went through it and straightened it up. I
wouldn't have to do that if I lived alone. Nor would I have to keep nearly
as much food as I do now. I am down to my last can of black beans. Had no
luck getting them delivered. Have a Walmart order coming any time now but
they subbed a name brand for the Great Value. All of the subs were fine
except for the lentils. They wanted to sub dried for canned. Don't need
dried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 2:47:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On 12/17/2020 3:32 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 2:25:08 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
> >> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:24:13 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons

> >> His first lie
> >>>

> > He's a nice guy, and he obviously felt bad about having thrown up on me.
> > He and my wife were both feeling ill that day. He had never put two words
> > together before that.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >

> Hopefully they didn't both didn't feel ill after eating at Ermilios...

We didn't go to Ermilio's that time. You can't always get reservations.
They're only open a few hours in the evening. We went back the next Spring.
It was the first stop on the vacation where our tent was destroyed by a
tornado.
https://www.weather.gov/oun/events-2...9-tornadotable
It is listed as Depew #1

The campground managers drove their golf cart to our campsite and told us
about the tornado warning, and said if the sirens went off, we should go to
their shelter. By now my son was very verbal, and when they left he said very
emphatically, "I want to go to a hotel." He was very insistent, so we drove
into Tulsa and got a room at the Motel6. They next day, when we returned
to the resort, our tent was in tatters.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>> The Crescent Hotel is where my son said his first sentence, "I'm sowwy I
>> fwew up on Favah" (I'm sorry I threw up on Father).
>>

> His first lie

lol
I wonder if Bryan wished him dead for saying that.