Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Granny spaghetti"

Growing up, my son used to go over to his grandparents' house once a week, and my MIL would make spaghetti with meat sauce, where the meat was ground turkey. Occasionally, the store will put stupid coupons on things. The ground turkey is normally $3.99 for a 1# package, and they put on a $3 coupon.. What the guy might not have realized is that the turkey was already on sale for $3.19, so the final price was 19 cents.

I'm not crazy about what I see as *ground beef substitute*, but my son likes it, and my wife seems to as well, and hey, 19 cents.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:
> Growing up, my son used to go over to his grandparents' house once a week, and my MIL would make spaghetti with meat sauce, where the meat was ground turkey. Occasionally, the store will put stupid coupons on things. The ground turkey is normally $3.99 for a 1# package, and they put on a $3 coupon. What the guy might not have realized is that the turkey was already on sale for $3.19, so the final price was 19 cents.
>
> --Bryan

BZZZZZT .... wake up.

The store manager knows all about it. It's called a loss leader.
Designed to get your ass in the store, where you'll likely buy a
few other items to go with that cheap ground turkey. And hopefully
a few things you really do need and see while you are there. And
maybe even some shit you don't need, but must have.

They have had centuries to work out shopper's psychology.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2020 3:45 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> Growing up, my son used to go over to his grandparents' house once a week, and my MIL would make spaghetti with meat sauce, where the meat was ground turkey. Occasionally, the store will put stupid coupons on things. The ground turkey is normally $3.99 for a 1# package, and they put on a $3 coupon. What the guy might not have realized is that the turkey was already on sale for $3.19, so the final price was 19 cents.
>
> I'm not crazy about what I see as *ground beef substitute*, but my son likes it, and my wife seems to as well, and hey, 19 cents.
>
> --Bryan

If I want a sub for hamburger I just grab a pound of deerburger outta
the Big Freezer . Made with 20% beef fat by weight , coarse ground right
here at home .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2020 4:40 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>> Growing up, my son used to go over to his grandparents' house once a
>> week, and my MIL would make spaghetti with meat sauce, where the meat
>> was ground turkey.Â* Occasionally, the store will put stupid coupons on
>> things.Â* The ground turkey is normally $3.99 for a 1# package, and
>> they put on a $3 coupon.Â* What the guy might not have realized is that
>> the turkey was already on sale for $3.19, so the final price was 19
>> cents.
>>
>> --Bryan
>>

> BZZZZZT .... wake up.
>
> The store manager knows all about it. It's called a loss leader.
> Designed to get your ass in the store, where you'll likely buy a few
> other items to go with that cheap ground turkey. And hopefully a few
> things you really do need and see while you are there. And maybe even
> some shit you don't need, but must have.
>
> They have had centuries to work out shopper's psychology.

And yet sometimes we manage to go in and only come out with mostly
just what we went for ... I went in on Sunday primarily for a brisket ,
but was also on the lookout for good buys on other meats . Bacon at
2.19/lb and ham butts for 99 cents were just a bonus . I wasn't so happy
with chicken breasts for 2.49 , but sometimes ya just gotta .
And the aroma of that brisket smokin' right outside my door is
maddening ...
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 17:16:55 -0500, Snag > wrote:

>On 10/14/2020 4:40 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>>> Growing up, my son used to go over to his grandparents' house once a
>>> week, and my MIL would make spaghetti with meat sauce, where the meat
>>> was ground turkey.Â* Occasionally, the store will put stupid coupons on
>>> things.Â* The ground turkey is normally $3.99 for a 1# package, and
>>> they put on a $3 coupon.Â* What the guy might not have realized is that
>>> the turkey was already on sale for $3.19, so the final price was 19
>>> cents.
>>>
>>> --Bryan
>>>

>> BZZZZZT .... wake up.
>>
>> The store manager knows all about it. It's called a loss leader.
>> Designed to get your ass in the store, where you'll likely buy a few
>> other items to go with that cheap ground turkey. And hopefully a few
>> things you really do need and see while you are there. And maybe even
>> some shit you don't need, but must have.
>>
>> They have had centuries to work out shopper's psychology.
>>

> And yet sometimes we manage to go in and only come out with mostly
>just what we went for ... I went in on Sunday primarily for a brisket ,
>but was also on the lookout for good buys on other meats . Bacon at
>2.19/lb and ham butts for 99 cents were just a bonus . I wasn't so happy
>with chicken breasts for 2.49 , but sometimes ya just gotta .
> And the aroma of that brisket smokin' right outside my door is
>maddening ...

You must have a deficiency. Maybe not enough oxygen to the brain?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 4:40:46 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > Growing up, my son used to go over to his grandparents' house once a week, and my MIL would make spaghetti with meat sauce, where the meat was ground turkey. Occasionally, the store will put stupid coupons on things. The ground turkey is normally $3.99 for a 1# package, and they put on a $3 coupon. What the guy might not have realized is that the turkey was already on sale for $3.19, so the final price was 19 cents.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >

> BZZZZZT .... wake up.
>
> The store manager knows all about it. It's called a loss leader.
> Designed to get your ass in the store, where you'll likely buy a
> few other items to go with that cheap ground turkey. And hopefully
> a few things you really do need and see while you are there. And
> maybe even some shit you don't need, but must have.
>
> They have had centuries to work out shopper's psychology.

No. It's incompetence on the part of the employees who coupon
the meat. The system is ****ed up as it is, since they only have $1,
$3 and $5 coupons. I know how to play the game. It's been a kind
of hobby for decades. I know all about loss leaders. I've worked in
retail, on and off for about 20 years.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 17:16:55 -0500, Snag > wrote:

>>> BZZZZZT .... wake up.
>>>
>>> The store manager knows all about it. It's called a loss leader.
>>> Designed to get your ass in the store, where you'll likely buy a few
>>> other items to go with that cheap ground turkey. And hopefully a few
>>> things you really do need and see while you are there. And maybe even
>>> some shit you don't need, but must have.
>>>
>>> They have had centuries to work out shopper's psychology.
>>>

>> And yet sometimes we manage to go in and only come out with mostly
>> just what we went for ... I went in on Sunday primarily for a brisket ,
>> but was also on the lookout for good buys on other meats . Bacon at
>> 2.19/lb and ham butts for 99 cents were just a bonus . I wasn't so happy
>> with chicken breasts for 2.49 , but sometimes ya just gotta .
>> And the aroma of that brisket smokin' right outside my door is
>> maddening ...

> You must have a deficiency. Maybe not enough oxygen to the brain?

Druce, I'm pretty sure he won't let you sniff his ass.

I know it's tough for you. Likely few aussies are into the dutch
butt stuff scene. But you keep looking.