Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ah So !

Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And since she's happy
with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
.. Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
okra from the garden .
Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
to those I say a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know
exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
can't pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags
of frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:18:01 -0500, Snag > wrote:

> Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
>And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
>it .

Or you ate it all.

>My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
>Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
>but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
>just about every Chinese food place we've tried .

Yabbut what would a Chinese think? Maybe you're learning to make
perfect adulterated Americochinese (or Eurochinese) food.

>And since she's happy
>with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
>to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
>. Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
>okra from the garden .
> Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
>yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
>to those I say a hearty **** You !

And an even heartier <spit>!

>I'd rather can my own and know
>exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
>can't pronounce in the can .

That's a healthy critical attitude that's frowned upon in RFC. Now,
they'll think you're a commie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:18:01 -0500, Snag wrote:

> Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
> And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
> it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
> Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
> but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
> just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And since she's happy
> with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
> to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
> . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
> okra from the garden .
> Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
> yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
> to those I say a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know
> exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
> can't pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags
> of frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

What hillbilly school did they teach to you put a space before
periods and commas? Who else does that?!?!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 20:26:20 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:18:01 -0500, Snag wrote:
>
>> Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
>> And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
>> it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
>> Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
>> but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
>> just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And since she's happy
>> with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
>> to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
>> . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
>> okra from the garden .
>> Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
>> yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
>> to those I say a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know
>> exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
>> can't pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags
>> of frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

>What hillbilly school did they teach to you put a space before
>periods and commas? Who else does that?!?!

That's to leave room for <spit>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 20:26:20 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:18:01 -0500, Snag wrote:
>>
>>> Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
>>> And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
>>> it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
>>> Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
>>> but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
>>> just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And since she's happy
>>> with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
>>> to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
>>> . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
>>> okra from the garden .
>>> Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
>>> yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
>>> to those I say a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know
>>> exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
>>> can't pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags
>>> of frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

>> What hillbilly school did they teach to you put a space before
>> periods and commas? Who else does that?!?!

> That's to leave room for <spit>

And <Sniff>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:18:01 -0500, Snag wrote:
>
>> Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
>> And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
>> it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
>> Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
>> but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
>> just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And since she's happy
>> with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
>> to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
>> . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
>> okra from the garden .
>> Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
>> yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
>> to those I say a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know
>> exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
>> can't pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags
>> of frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

> What hillbilly school did they teach to you put a space before
> periods and commas? Who else does that?!?!
>
> -sw

Texass A&M ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:18:01 -0500, Snag wrote:
> >
> >> Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
> >> And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
> >> it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
> >> Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
> >> but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
> >> just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And since she's happy
> >> with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
> >> to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
> >> . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
> >> okra from the garden .
> >> Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
> >> yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
> >> to those I say a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know
> >> exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
> >> can't pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags
> >> of frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

> > What hillbilly school did they teach to you put a space before
> > periods and commas? Who else does that?!?!
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Texass A&M ?

LOL. But to hit closer to "home" you should have said
UT-Austin.

Note: my annoying little brother got his PhD in Chemistry there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 07:13:06 -0400, Gary wrote:

> Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> What hillbilly school did they teach to you put a space before
>>> periods and commas? Who else does that?!?!

>> Texass A&M ?

> LOL. But to hit closer to "home" you should have said
> UT-Austin.

I hold no esteem for UT. They pump out frail, snowflake pussies that
melt on the Texas heat.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 10:05:04 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 07:13:06 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Hank Rogers wrote:

>>> Texass A&M ?

>> LOL. But to hit closer to "home" you should have said
>> UT-Austin.

>I hold no esteem for UT. They pump out frail, snowflake pussies that
>melt on the Texas heat.

And now you're getting an influx from California But who can blame
them for leaving that ******** and most of them are probably not
snowflakes anyway, since they had the common sense to leave in the
first place...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2020 9:14 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:18:01 -0500, Snag wrote:
>>
>>> Â*Â*Â* Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg
>>> rolls .
>>> And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
>>> it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
>>> Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
>>> but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
>>> just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And since she's happy
>>> with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
>>> to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
>>> . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
>>> okra from the garden .
>>> Â*Â*Â* Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
>>> yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
>>> to those I say a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know
>>> exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
>>> can't pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags
>>> of frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

>> What hillbilly school did they teach to you put a space before
>> periods and commas? Who else does that?!?!
>>
>> -sw

<snipped Hank's reply>

I do that to irritate anal retentive assholes like you , Steve . And
I was educated in northern Utahahaha where I grew up . Not a hillbilly
in miles .

--
Snag
Illegitimi non

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2020 6:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:18:01 -0500, Snag wrote:
>
>> Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
>> And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
>> it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
>> Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
>> but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
>> just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And since she's happy
>> with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
>> to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
>> . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
>> okra from the garden .
>> Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
>> yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
>> to those I say a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know
>> exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
>> can't pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags
>> of frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

> What hillbilly school did they teach to you put a space before
> periods and commas? Who else does that?!?!
>
> -sw

shhh! The FBI will use that unique characteristic to match him up to
his Unibomber writings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:18:01 -0500, Snag wrote:
>
>> Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
>> And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
>> it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
>> Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
>> but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
>> just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And since she's happy
>> with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
>> to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
>> . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
>> okra from the garden .
>> Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
>> yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
>> to those I say a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know
>> exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
>> can't pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags
>> of frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

>What hillbilly school did they teach to you put a space before
>periods and commas? Who else does that?!?!
>
>-sw

Illiterate Kentucky *******s.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Did the rain yesterday from Hurricane Laura about wash y'all away?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Snag wrote:

> Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
> And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have
> liked it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China
> Wok , the Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite
> made it yet , but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what
> we've had at just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And
> since she's happy with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes ,
> last thing I want is to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf
> every Tuesday" menu regimen . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be
> making ham gumbo , using fresh okra from the garden . Speaking of
> gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes yesterday . Some
> here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes , to those I say
> a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know exactly what's in
> that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I can't
> pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags of
> frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

My garden subsumbed this year sadly but the apple trees are still
producing final crop. I'm south of many of you so we crop earlier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 3:29:58 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Snag wrote:
>
> > Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
> > And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have
> > liked it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China
> > Wok , the Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite
> > made it yet , but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what
> > we've had at just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And
> > since she's happy with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes ,
> > last thing I want is to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf
> > every Tuesday" menu regimen . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be
> > making ham gumbo , using fresh okra from the garden . Speaking of
> > gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes yesterday . Some
> > here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes , to those I say
> > a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know exactly what's in
> > that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I can't
> > pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags of
> > frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

> My garden subsumbed this year sadly but the apple trees are still
> producing final crop. I'm south of many of you so we crop earlier.

Subsumed:

include or absorb (something) in something else.
"most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad categories"

Origin
mid 16th century (in the sense "subjoin, add): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- "from below + sumere "take. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.

Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be a never-ending task), but I thought
you might like to know you're misusing the word "subsume".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 5:19:47 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 3:29:58 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> > Snag wrote:
> >
> > > Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
> > > And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have
> > > liked it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China
> > > Wok , the Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite
> > > made it yet , but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what
> > > we've had at just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And
> > > since she's happy with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes ,
> > > last thing I want is to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf
> > > every Tuesday" menu regimen . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be
> > > making ham gumbo , using fresh okra from the garden . Speaking of
> > > gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes yesterday . Some
> > > here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes , to those I say
> > > a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know exactly what's in
> > > that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I can't
> > > pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags of
> > > frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

> > My garden subsumbed this year sadly but the apple trees are still
> > producing final crop. I'm south of many of you so we crop earlier.

> Subsumed:
>
> include or absorb (something) in something else.
> "most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad categories"
>
> Origin
> mid 16th century (in the sense "subjoin, add): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- "from below + sumere "take. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
>
> Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be a never-ending task), but I thought
> you might like to know you're misusing the word "subsume".

I once wrote the word intestine when I meant internecine. I don't know why, because I know both words, but I bet I'd been drinking. I'm sure she meant succumbed.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 04:25:41 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 5:19:47 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > My garden subsumbed this year sadly but the apple trees are still
>> > producing final crop. I'm south of many of you so we crop earlier.

>> Subsumed:
>>
>> include or absorb (something) in something else.
>> "most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad categories"
>>
>> Origin
>> mid 16th century (in the sense "subjoin, add): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- "from below + sumere "take. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be a never-ending task), but I thought
>> you might like to know you're misusing the word "subsume".

>I once wrote the word intestine when I meant internecine. I don't know why, because I know both words, but I bet I'd been drinking. I'm sure she meant succumbed.

She likes to come across smart. Hoo boy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >I once wrote the word intestine when I meant internecine. I don't know why, because I know both words, but I bet I'd been drinking. I'm sure she meant succumbed.

> She likes to come across smart. Hoo boy!

Too funny, Bruce. You just said, "Hoo boy!"
You're turning into a hawaiian kid.
That's a (tm) Dsi1 comment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 21:31:24 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 04:25:41 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>>> Subsumed:
>>>
>>> include or absorb (something) in something else.
>>> "most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad categories"
>>>
>>> Origin
>>> mid 16th century (in the sense ‘subjoin, add’): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- ‘from below’ + sumere ‘take’. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
>>>
>>> Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be a never-ending task), but I thought
>>> you might like to know you're misusing the word "subsume".

>>I once wrote the word intestine when I meant internecine. I don't know why, because I know both words, but I bet I'd been drinking. I'm sure she meant succumbed.

>She likes to come across smart. Hoo boy!

She is and it bothers you.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 7:25:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 5:19:47 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > My garden subsumbed this year sadly but the apple trees are still
> > > producing final crop. I'm south of many of you so we crop earlier.

> > Subsumed:
> >
> > include or absorb (something) in something else.
> > "most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad categories"
> >
> > Origin
> > mid 16th century (in the sense "subjoin, add): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- "from below + sumere "take. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be a never-ending task), but I thought
> > you might like to know you're misusing the word "subsume".

> I once wrote the word intestine when I meant internecine. I don't know why, because I know both words, but I bet I'd been drinking. I'm sure she meant succumbed.
>

> > Cindy Hamilton

> --Bryan

Possibly, although she's used it that way before.

This has made me think about Winston Churchill, and how much mileage he got from using
very plain language. No ten-dollar words for him when a ten-cent one is clearer and has
more impact.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 04:41:42 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 7:25:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:

>> > Subsumed:
>> >
>> > include or absorb (something) in something else.
>> > "most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad categories"
>> >
>> > Origin
>> > mid 16th century (in the sense ‘subjoin, add’): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- ‘from below’ + sumere ‘take’. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
>> >
>> > Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be a never-ending task), but I thought
>> > you might like to know you're misusing the word "subsume".

>> I once wrote the word intestine when I meant internecine. I don't know why, because I know both words, but I bet I'd been drinking. I'm sure she meant succumbed.
>>

>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> --Bryan

>Possibly, although she's used it that way before.
>
>This has made me think about Winston Churchill, and how much mileage he got from using
>very plain language. No ten-dollar words for him when a ten-cent one is clearer and has
>more impact.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

She's probably heard it recently. I've noticed the increased usage
on TV and written matter in recent months. I have no idea what event
brought it on.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 5:19:47 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > My garden subsumbed this year sadly but the apple trees are still
> > > producing final crop. I'm south of many of you so we crop earlier.

> > Subsumed:
> >
> > include or absorb (something) in something else.
> > "most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad
> > categories"
> >
> > Origin
> > mid 16th century (in the sense "subjoin, add): from medieval Latin
> > subsumere, from sub- "from below + sumere "take. The current
> > sense dates from the early 19th century.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be
> > a never-ending task), but I thought you might like to know you're
> > misusing the word "subsume".

> I once wrote the word intestine when I meant internecine. I don't
> know why, because I know both words, but I bet I'd been drinking.
> I'm sure she meant succumbed.
>

> > Cindy Hamilton

> --Bryan

LOl, thanks. Kinda both actually. The dirt was properly retained on
one of the pots.

Either way, no crop this year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/08/2020 11:19, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 3:29:58 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:

>> My garden subsumbed this year sadly but the apple trees are still
>> producing final crop. I'm south of many of you so we crop earlier.

> Subsumed:
>
> include or absorb (something) in something else.
> "most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad categories"
>
> Origin
> mid 16th century (in the sense "subjoin, add): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- "from below + sumere "take. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
>
> Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be a never-ending task), but I thought
> you might like to know you're misusing the word "subsume".

Although - she might have intended to say 'succumbed'.
Or not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-08-30 4:19 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 3:29:58 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
>> Snag wrote:
>>
>>> Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
>>> And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have
>>> liked it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China
>>> Wok , the Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite
>>> made it yet , but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what
>>> we've had at just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And
>>> since she's happy with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes ,
>>> last thing I want is to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf
>>> every Tuesday" menu regimen . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be
>>> making ham gumbo , using fresh okra from the garden . Speaking of
>>> gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes yesterday . Some
>>> here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes , to those I say
>>> a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know exactly what's in
>>> that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I can't
>>> pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags of
>>> frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

>> My garden subsumbed this year sadly but the apple trees are still
>> producing final crop. I'm south of many of you so we crop earlier.

> Subsumed:
>
> include or absorb (something) in something else.
> "most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad categories"
>
> Origin
> mid 16th century (in the sense "subjoin, add): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- "from below + sumere "take. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
>
> Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be a never-ending task), but I thought
> you might like to know you're misusing the word "subsume".
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Just call her Mrs Malaprop in future!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 10:09:40 AM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> On 2020-08-30 4:19 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> My garden subsumbed this year sadly but the apple trees are still
> >> producing final crop. I'm south of many of you so we crop earlier.

> > Subsumed:
> >
> > include or absorb (something) in something else.
> > "most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad categories"
> >
> > Origin
> > mid 16th century (in the sense "subjoin, add): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- "from below + sumere "take. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be a never-ending task), but I thought
> > you might like to know you're misusing the word "subsume".
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Just call her Mrs Malaprop in future!

Heh. A Sheriden reference in RFC. Nice.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 9:09:40 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> On 2020-08-30 4:19 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> My garden subsumbed this year sadly but the apple trees are still
> >> producing final crop. I'm south of many of you so we crop earlier.

> > Subsumed:
> >
> > include or absorb (something) in something else.
> > "most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad categories"
> >
> > Origin
> > mid 16th century (in the sense "subjoin, add): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- "from below + sumere "take. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be a never-ending task), but I thought
> > you might like to know you're misusing the word "subsume".
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Just call her Mrs Malaprop in future!

Or better yet, "Slip."

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 03:19:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 3:29:58 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
>> Snag wrote:
>>
>> > Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
>> > And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have
>> > liked it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China
>> > Wok , the Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite
>> > made it yet , but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what
>> > we've had at just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And
>> > since she's happy with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes ,
>> > last thing I want is to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf
>> > every Tuesday" menu regimen . Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be
>> > making ham gumbo , using fresh okra from the garden . Speaking of
>> > gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes yesterday . Some
>> > here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes , to those I say
>> > a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know exactly what's in
>> > that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I can't
>> > pronounce in the can . I also have several one gallon Ziploc bags of
>> > frozen tomatoes . Which I use depends on the dish being prepared .

>> My garden subsumbed this year sadly but the apple trees are still
>> producing final crop. I'm south of many of you so we crop earlier.

>Subsumed:
>
> include or absorb (something) in something else.
> "most of these phenomena can be subsumed under two broad categories"
>
>Origin
>mid 16th century (in the sense ‘subjoin, add’): from medieval Latin subsumere, from sub- ‘from below’ + sumere ‘take’. The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
>
>Sorry, I don't usually bother to correct people online (it would be a never-ending task), but I thought
>you might like to know you're misusing the word "subsume".
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I just figured WTH
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:18:01 -0500, Snag > wrote:

> Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
>And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
>it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
>Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
>but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
>just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And since she's happy
>with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
>to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
>. Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
>okra from the garden .
> Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
>yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
>to those I say a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know
>exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
>can't pronounce in the can .

I buy cases of 28 oz. cans of Hunts whole peeled plum tomatoes.
Contains: "tomatoes, tomato juice, less than 2% of salt, citric acid,
calcium chloride".
What the "****" are you incapable of pronouncing, you illiterate
*******?
Oh, and they are in steel cans, not glass jars that can break and also
glass slivers from old fashioned canning jars can end up in the
tomatoes unbeknownst to the home canner, a common occurance
necessitating a trip to the ER and complex microsurgery of the
digestive system. Anyone gifts me jars of food they canned I thank
them, immediately open the jars, and flush the contents down the
toilet... they can have the jars back if they ask... where the **** do
you live, in little house on the prairie? Only utter imbeciles who
are ****ing cheap *******s who refuse to buy a freezer still do home
canning... home canning went out the window with the ice-a-box. No
home canner can come close to out doing commercial canning.

Now let's see a picture of your Lo Mein, Snag Bob, or I'd say you're a
LIAR.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 16:32:46 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

snip

>I buy cases of 28 oz. cans of Hunts whole peeled plum tomatoes.
>Contains: "tomatoes, tomato juice, less than 2% of salt, citric acid,
>calcium chloride".

snip
>Oh, and they are in steel cans, not glass jars that can break and also
>glass slivers from old fashioned canning jars can end up in the
>tomatoes unbeknownst to the home canner, a common occurance
>necessitating a trip to the ER and complex microsurgery of the
>digestive system.

snip

In what universe is it a "common" occurrence to make a trip to the ER
and microsurgery to the gut because of slivers of glass from canning
jars.? Not broken canning jars, but just plain old canning jars.
Why doesn't the slivers of glass occur when you put your pickles in
glass jars? You have too many worries.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 3:32:51 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:18:01 -0500, Snag > wrote:
>
> > Tonight's dinner offering was shrimp Lo Mein and (frozen) egg rolls .
> >And since there wasn't a crumb left , I figger Mrs. Snag must have liked
> >it . My goal is to match the Lo Mein we used to get at China Wok , the
> >Chinese restaurant I used to deliver for . I haven't quite made it yet ,
> >but I'm pretty damn close ! IMO mine's better than what we've had at
> >just about every Chinese food place we've tried . And since she's happy
> >with it , so am I . I strive to learn new dishes , last thing I want is
> >to fall into a boring repetitive "meat loaf every Tuesday" menu regimen
> >. Probably tomorrow or Sunday I will be making ham gumbo , using fresh
> >okra from the garden .
> > Speaking of gardens , we canned another 6 quarts of tomatoes
> >yesterday . Some here think it's a waste of time to home can tomatoes ,
> >to those I say a hearty **** You ! I'd rather can my own and know
> >exactly what's in that jar rather than use commercial that's got stuff I
> >can't pronounce in the can .

> I buy cases of 28 oz. cans of Hunts whole peeled plum tomatoes.
> Contains: "tomatoes, tomato juice, less than 2% of salt, citric acid,
> calcium chloride".
> What the "****" are you incapable of pronouncing, you illiterate
> *******?
> Oh, and they are in steel cans, not glass jars that can break and also
> glass slivers from old fashioned canning jars can end up in the
> tomatoes unbeknownst to the home canner, a common occurance
> necessitating a trip to the ER and complex microsurgery of the
> digestive system. Anyone gifts me jars of food they canned I thank
> them, immediately open the jars, and flush the contents down the
> toilet... they can have the jars back if they ask... where the **** do
> you live, in little house on the prairie? Only utter imbeciles who
> are ****ing cheap *******s who refuse to buy a freezer still do home
> canning... home canning went out the window with the ice-a-box. No
> home canner can come close to out doing commercial canning.

A lot of the stuff you post is bogus, but you are correct that canning tomatoes isn't a productive use of time or effort. Plus, it made me laugh when I read, "where the **** do
you live, in little house on the prairie?" I have to admit that it's easy to get me to laugh right now, as I'm eating spectacular Italian sausage with great Italian bread, and good American knockoff Dijon mustard, oh and a single hop pale ale (Sabro) that claims to be New England style, but is about as New England as Chipotle is Mexican. It's good beer, just not great beer.

--Bryan