Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Potatoes and onions

Someone who gets those produce boxes delivered gave my brother two full
boxes. They were going away and couldn't use it all up. Now I have a ton of
potatoes and onions. Angela has the same. She took some other things. Not
sure what they'll do with all the broccoli. Now... What to do with them?
They are russet potatoes and yellow onions. I do have a pot roast in the
freezer. I could get some more carrots and make that since our weather is
turning cooler. I love free food!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/29/20 8:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Someone who gets those produce boxes delivered gave my brother two full
> boxes. They were going away and couldn't use it all up. Now I have a ton
> of potatoes and onions. Angela has the same. She took some other things.
> Not sure what they'll do with all the broccoli. Now... What to do with
> them? They are russet potatoes and yellow onions. I do have a pot roast
> in the freezer. I could get some more carrots and make that since our
> weather is turning cooler. I love free food!

your weather is turning cooler?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 20:45:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Someone who gets those produce boxes delivered gave my brother two full
>boxes. They were going away and couldn't use it all up. Now I have a ton of
>potatoes and onions. Angela has the same. She took some other things. Not
>sure what they'll do with all the broccoli. Now... What to do with them?
>They are russet potatoes and yellow onions. I do have a pot roast in the
>freezer. I could get some more carrots and make that since our weather is
>turning cooler. I love free food!

If I had them I would know what to do with them. We're old
fashioned, Mid-West eaters. Baked potatoes are always good -- lots
of potassium other vitamins and fiber in there. Lots of side dish
recipes. You can boil, bake and mash them Check the Web. Onions?
I'd chop most of them up, lay them on trays, freeze them and then bag
them. Otherwise there are a bunch of onion dishes that use a lot of
them.
Check the Web.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 20:45:16 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Someone who gets those produce boxes delivered gave my brother two full
>> boxes. They were going away and couldn't use it all up. Now I have a ton
>> of
>> potatoes and onions. Angela has the same. She took some other things. Not
>> sure what they'll do with all the broccoli. Now... What to do with them?
>> They are russet potatoes and yellow onions. I do have a pot roast in the
>> freezer. I could get some more carrots and make that since our weather is
>> turning cooler. I love free food!

> You let them go bad just like all the other crap you buy and never
> eat. At least this stuff came from a food bank so you didn't have to
> shop the Internet and pay for it.

It didn't come from the food bank!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ZZyXX" > wrote in message
> On 6/29/20 8:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Someone who gets those produce boxes delivered gave my brother two full
>> boxes. They were going away and couldn't use it all up. Now I have a ton
>> of potatoes and onions. Angela has the same. She took some other things.
>> Not sure what they'll do with all the broccoli. Now... What to do with
>> them? They are russet potatoes and yellow onions. I do have a pot roast
>> in the freezer. I could get some more carrots and make that since our
>> weather is turning cooler. I love free food!

> your weather is turning cooler?

Yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 20:45:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Someone who gets those produce boxes delivered gave my brother two full
>>boxes. They were going away and couldn't use it all up. Now I have a ton
>>of
>>potatoes and onions. Angela has the same. She took some other things. Not
>>sure what they'll do with all the broccoli. Now... What to do with them?
>>They are russet potatoes and yellow onions. I do have a pot roast in the
>>freezer. I could get some more carrots and make that since our weather is
>>turning cooler. I love free food!

> If I had them I would know what to do with them. We're old
> fashioned, Mid-West eaters. Baked potatoes are always good -- lots
> of potassium other vitamins and fiber in there. Lots of side dish
> recipes. You can boil, bake and mash them Check the Web. Onions?
> I'd chop most of them up, lay them on trays, freeze them and then bag
> them. Otherwise there are a bunch of onion dishes that use a lot of
> them.
> Check the Web.
> Janet US

I'm from Wichita. Can't get much more Midwest than that, but we didn't eat a
lot of potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Toss them like popeye does.
Or, feed the guy in the shed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The COVID people in Italy were sicker due to their high gluten pasta diet. Potato eating Germans got fewer critical complications.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> The COVID people in Italy were sicker due to their high gluten pasta diet.
> Potato eating Germans got fewer critical complications.

You've been listening to Doc. Wallach. He's a quack. Germans are known for
drinking gluten containing beer, and eating gluten containing foods like
Spaetzel, breaded meats. bread, cakes, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/30/2020 3:29 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 20:45:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Someone who gets those produce boxes delivered gave my brother two full
>> boxes. They were going away and couldn't use it all up. Now I have a ton of
>> potatoes and onions. Angela has the same. She took some other things. Not
>> sure what they'll do with all the broccoli. Now... What to do with them?
>> They are russet potatoes and yellow onions. I do have a pot roast in the
>> freezer. I could get some more carrots and make that since our weather is
>> turning cooler. I love free food!

> If I had them I would know what to do with them. We're old
> fashioned, Mid-West eaters. Baked potatoes are always good -- lots
> of potassium other vitamins and fiber in there. Lots of side dish
> recipes. You can boil, bake and mash them Check the Web. Onions?
> I'd chop most of them up, lay them on trays, freeze them and then bag
> them. Otherwise there are a bunch of onion dishes that use a lot of
> them.
> Check the Web.
> Janet US

You're always so helpful with ideas, Janet! Thank you.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-07-03 10:24 a.m., cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> I have. I also have German friends. I know what they eat. Who
>> invented the pretzel?

> LOL, Germans do indeed love their breads. They also do a lot of rice
> comparativly (sp?) to much of Europe. That one suprised me when I
> found out. I think it was Italy for number 1 and they were 2 or a
> close 3rd.

It surprised me when I read your post. As I kid I spent more time in my
German friend's house than in my own and don't remember every seeing
rice served. I have been to Germany several times and never saw it
served anywhere. So I cheated and looked it up. It turns out that
Germany is one of the lowest in per capita rice consumption.

https://www.helgilibrary.com/indicat...on-per-capita/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Some radio show vitamin "Doctor" blamed the pasta gluten.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A big plate of pasta is comparably a gluten gut fest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 4:24:25AM, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

> > > LOL, I hadn't heard that one before.

> > I have. I also have German friends. I know what they eat. Who
> > invented the pretzel?

> LOL, Germans do indeed love their breads. They also do a lot of rice
> comparativly (sp?) to much of Europe. That one suprised me when I
> found out. I think it was Italy for number 1 and they were 2 or a
> close 3rd.

I didn't know Spätzle was eaten in all parts of Germany (just the southern part). Its not like I could visit de.rec.mampf and ask.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 11:56:02 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2020-07-03 10:24 a.m., cshenk wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> I have. I also have German friends. I know what they eat. Who
>>> invented the pretzel?

>> LOL, Germans do indeed love their breads. They also do a lot of rice
>> comparativly (sp?) to much of Europe. That one suprised me when I
>> found out. I think it was Italy for number 1 and they were 2 or a
>> close 3rd.
>>

>It surprised me when I read your post. As I kid I spent more time in my
>German friend's house than in my own and don't remember every seeing
>rice served. I have been to Germany several times and never saw it
>served anywhere. So I cheated and looked it up. It turns out that
>Germany is one of the lowest in per capita rice consumption.
>
>https://www.helgilibrary.com/indicat...on-per-capita/

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> A big plate of pasta is comparably a gluten gut fest.

Please learn to quote ok?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-07-03 10:24 a.m., cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >

> > > I have. I also have German friends. I know what they eat. Who
> > > invented the pretzel?

> > LOL, Germans do indeed love their breads. They also do a lot of
> > rice comparativly (sp?) to much of Europe. That one suprised me
> > when I found out. I think it was Italy for number 1 and they were
> > 2 or a close 3rd.
> >

> It surprised me when I read your post. As I kid I spent more time in
> my German friend's house than in my own and don't remember every
> seeing rice served. I have been to Germany several times and never
> saw it served anywhere. So I cheated and looked it up. It turns out
> that Germany is one of the lowest in per capita rice consumption.
>
> https://www.helgilibrary.com/indicat...on-per-capita/

Humm, I malformed my search? Hey, I can be wrong! I don't think it
was served 'alone' there often but more used in things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 11:09:34 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8:46:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> > > I have. I also have German friends. I know what they eat. Who
> > > invented the pretzel?

> > LOL, Germans do indeed love their breads. They also do a lot of rice
> > comparativly (sp?) to much of Europe. That one suprised me when I
> > found out. I think it was Italy for number 1 and they were 2 or a
> > close 3rd.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > My daughter and her family have lived in Germany for many years. Shall
> > tell her what they should eat???

> My dad liked the Germans - he said they were good, fun, people. He said the
> Swedes were kind of "sour" people - and he was married to a Swede. Beats the
> heck out of me what the German people eat. Rice you say?
>
> ====
>
> Not me! You need to ask Cshenk !

I'll pass on that one. My family is getting a little nutty diet-wise. It seems that all they'll eat is fish. Ha ha. I cooked up some mahimahi last night. It was salted and peppered, then slathered with wasabi-mayo and sprinkled with seaweed and sesame seed. Then cooked in the air-fryer. My son is orchestrating this diet and he's kinda like a keto-hitler. I think I'll cook me up a nice burger.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 11:09:34 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8:46:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> > > I have. I also have German friends. I know what they eat. Who
> > > invented the pretzel?

> > LOL, Germans do indeed love their breads. They also do a lot of rice
> > comparativly (sp?) to much of Europe. That one suprised me when I
> > found out. I think it was Italy for number 1 and they were 2 or a
> > close 3rd.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > My daughter and her family have lived in Germany for many years.
> > Shall
> > tell her what they should eat???

> My dad liked the Germans - he said they were good, fun, people. He said
> the
> Swedes were kind of "sour" people - and he was married to a Swede. Beats
> the
> heck out of me what the German people eat. Rice you say?
>
> ====
>
> Not me! You need to ask Cshenk !

I'll pass on that one. My family is getting a little nutty diet-wise. It
seems that all they'll eat is fish. Ha ha. I cooked up some mahimahi last
night. It was salted and peppered, then slathered with wasabi-mayo and
sprinkled with seaweed and sesame seed. Then cooked in the air-fryer. My son
is orchestrating this diet and he's kinda like a keto-hitler. I think I'll
cook me up a nice burger.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ

===

<g> Well it looks lovely to me) Not something I have ever seen The
only fish we eat is cod, haddock and salmon!!!

Incidentally, I always use my air fryers to cook fish, unless I am
battering them. Do you think he would like battered fish??

I have a lovely beer batter recipe which we both love. Oh and it
doesn't taste of the beer .. sorry) It does however make a lovely risen
and crisp batter)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 10:06:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 11:09:34 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8:46:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > LOL, Germans do indeed love their breads. They also do a lot of rice
> > > comparativly (sp?) to much of Europe. That one suprised me when I
> > > found out. I think it was Italy for number 1 and they were 2 or a
> > > close 3rd.
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > My daughter and her family have lived in Germany for many years.
> > > Shall
> > > tell her what they should eat???

> > My dad liked the Germans - he said they were good, fun, people. He said
> > the
> > Swedes were kind of "sour" people - and he was married to a Swede. Beats
> > the
> > heck out of me what the German people eat. Rice you say?
> >
> > ====
> >
> > Not me! You need to ask Cshenk !

> I'll pass on that one. My family is getting a little nutty diet-wise. It
> seems that all they'll eat is fish. Ha ha. I cooked up some mahimahi last
> night. It was salted and peppered, then slathered with wasabi-mayo and
> sprinkled with seaweed and sesame seed. Then cooked in the air-fryer. My son
> is orchestrating this diet and he's kinda like a keto-hitler. I think I'll
> cook me up a nice burger.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ

> ===
>
> <g> Well it looks lovely to me) Not something I have ever seen The
> only fish we eat is cod, haddock and salmon!!!
>
> Incidentally, I always use my air fryers to cook fish, unless I am
> battering them. Do you think he would like battered fish??
>
> I have a lovely beer batter recipe which we both love. Oh and it
> doesn't taste of the beer .. sorry) It does however make a lovely risen
> and crisp batter)

Your fishes are fine fishes. On this rock we grew up eating mostly mahimahi.. These days, mahimahi is getting expensive and weird looking. Soon there will be none left.

I'm cooking it this way because my family is on a fat restricted diet. Mostly, they're eating low calorie, high protein, drinks and bars. They have to eat a low fat dish with a salad once a day. If I had my way, I'd fry the fish. Cod in a beer batter would be wonderful but that's not allowed - at least for now.

Today I was collecting some hibiscus flowers. My daughter has a new tortoise and they eat these flowers. Can you imagine that?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Pwv-oQ-RKWMC-i
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 10:06:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 11:09:34 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8:46:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > LOL, Germans do indeed love their breads. They also do a lot of rice
> > > comparativly (sp?) to much of Europe. That one suprised me when I
> > > found out. I think it was Italy for number 1 and they were 2 or a
> > > close 3rd.
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > My daughter and her family have lived in Germany for many years.
> > > Shall
> > > tell her what they should eat???

> > My dad liked the Germans - he said they were good, fun, people. He said
> > the
> > Swedes were kind of "sour" people - and he was married to a Swede. Beats
> > the
> > heck out of me what the German people eat. Rice you say?
> >
> > ====
> >
> > Not me! You need to ask Cshenk !

> I'll pass on that one. My family is getting a little nutty diet-wise. It
> seems that all they'll eat is fish. Ha ha. I cooked up some mahimahi last
> night. It was salted and peppered, then slathered with wasabi-mayo and
> sprinkled with seaweed and sesame seed. Then cooked in the air-fryer. My
> son
> is orchestrating this diet and he's kinda like a keto-hitler. I think I'll
> cook me up a nice burger.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ

> ===
>
> <g> Well it looks lovely to me) Not something I have ever seen
> The
> only fish we eat is cod, haddock and salmon!!!
>
> Incidentally, I always use my air fryers to cook fish, unless I am
> battering them. Do you think he would like battered fish??
>
> I have a lovely beer batter recipe which we both love. Oh and it
> doesn't taste of the beer .. sorry) It does however make a lovely risen
> and crisp batter)

Your fishes are fine fishes. On this rock we grew up eating mostly mahimahi.
These days, mahimahi is getting expensive and weird looking. Soon there will
be none left.

I'm cooking it this way because my family is on a fat restricted diet.
Mostly, they're eating low calorie, high protein, drinks and bars. They have
to eat a low fat dish with a salad once a day. If I had my way, I'd fry the
fish. Cod in a beer batter would be wonderful but that's not allowed - at
least for now.

Today I was collecting some hibiscus flowers. My daughter has a new tortoise
and they eat these flowers. Can you imagine that?

Not really I have never been lucky enough to have a
tortoise If I had, I would feed them whatever they preferred))

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Pwv-oQ-RKWMC-i

Beautiful))