Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you store your potatoes and onions?

I had a wonderful potato bin for many years. I bought it from Ebay when I
lived in NY. I can't remember exactly what I paid but $50 or less. It was
handmade of wood. Apparently it could also be used as a trash can but I
wouldn't use it for that. It did have a wooden sort of ring if you will
that fit around the outside. I guess that was to hold the trash bag in
place. It eventually broke and I've not seen one like it since.

For onions, I have had two different wooden bins each with sort of a
hardware cloth over the flaps. They had three sections to them so I could
keep three different kinds of onions. But they were cheaply made. They
came from Collections Etc. They no longer sell them. Those eventually fell
apart too.

So now I need a new storage something or other. I've been trying to buy
onions as needed but... I would prefer to stock up when on sale. And the
same for potatoes. I've been keeping onions and small amounts of potatoes
in the fridge. And I bought a bag to keep the light out for potatoes but I
find that they sprout in there within the week.

I am looking at something for the garage. The roofer installed vents over
the garage so I am hoping that will solve the slight moisture problem.

The problem? I can't find anything for a good price. I see wooden bins for
around $90 with $30 shipping. I don't want to pay that much to store
potatoes or onions. I do know not to store them together.

I was looking online at cheap bushel baskets. That might be big enough for
onions. But I can't visualize how big they are and can't look at them in
person since I don't know of any stores here that sell them. I do know that
a bushel is 8 gallons. Would that be big enough for around 5 pounds of
potatoes? Would it be strong enough to hold them?

My mom used a hanging basket and I had one of those when I was single and
bought far less onions.

I have also seen onion and potato baskets that look nice but some say that
they're not very large, particularly the onion one.

And I was looking at store displayers. Those might be nice because they sit
up off the floor. Again, not cheap but they do look sturdy.

So... If you buy yours in bulk, how do you store them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I had a wonderful potato bin for many years. I bought it from Ebay when I
>lived in NY. I can't remember exactly what I paid but $50 or less. It was
>handmade of wood.

snip
I have two empty cardboard boxes that I got from Costco. One is for
potatoes the other for onions. I remove both vegetables from their
bags so that they get air circulation. I drape the plastic bag the
potatoes came in over the potatoes. Actually, I have several bags
draped over the potatoes. The bags keep the light out without
trapping moisture on the potatoes. No need to buy an expensive
container.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 8:26:01 PM UTC-6, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:
>

> >I had a wonderful potato bin for many years. I bought it from Ebay when I

> >lived in NY. I can't remember exactly what I paid but $50 or less. It was

> >handmade of wood.

> snip
>
> I have two empty cardboard boxes that I got from Costco. One is for
>
> potatoes the other for onions. I remove both vegetables from their
>
> bags so that they get air circulation. I drape the plastic bag the
>
> potatoes came in over the potatoes. Actually, I have several bags
>
> draped over the potatoes. The bags keep the light out without
>
> trapping moisture on the potatoes. No need to buy an expensive
>
> container.
>
> Janet US

Now that is an excellent and practical way to store potatoes and dry onions. Why buy expensive containers?...indeed. Way to go.

===
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 10:26 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I had a wonderful potato bin for many years. I bought it from Ebay when I
>> lived in NY. I can't remember exactly what I paid but $50 or less. It was
>> handmade of wood.

> snip
> I have two empty cardboard boxes that I got from Costco. One is for
> potatoes the other for onions. I remove both vegetables from their
> bags so that they get air circulation. I drape the plastic bag the
> potatoes came in over the potatoes. Actually, I have several bags
> draped over the potatoes. The bags keep the light out without
> trapping moisture on the potatoes. No need to buy an expensive
> container.
> Janet US

I still have two plastic (rather flexible) bins I remember from my
childhood. Mom moved those from one place to another for years. She
gave them to me when I was in my 20's. They're on the floor of the
pantry under the lowest shelf. Onions go in one bin, potatoes in the
other. It's always dark and cool in the pantry.

I like your idea of cardboard boxes. I'd do that if I didn't still have
these plastic bins. There's no reason to spend money on special
containers for onions and potatoes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 9:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I was looking online at cheap bushel baskets. That might be big enough
> for onions. But I can't visualize how big they are and can't look at
> them in person since I don't know of any stores here that sell them. I
> do know that a bushel is 8 gallons. Would that be big enough for around
> 5 pounds of potatoes? Would it be strong enough to hold them?

Bushel basket should hold 50 pounds. Years ago, produce was hauled in
them from farm to market.

Look at plastic laundry baskets or trash cans that are vented.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I had a wonderful potato bin for many years. I bought it from Ebay when I
>>lived in NY. I can't remember exactly what I paid but $50 or less. It
>>was
>>handmade of wood.

> snip
> I have two empty cardboard boxes that I got from Costco. One is for
> potatoes the other for onions. I remove both vegetables from their
> bags so that they get air circulation. I drape the plastic bag the
> potatoes came in over the potatoes. Actually, I have several bags
> draped over the potatoes. The bags keep the light out without
> trapping moisture on the potatoes. No need to buy an expensive
> container.
> Janet US

Thanks! I did buy some black cloth to put over them but not sure that the
weave is open enough. If I put them in the garage, I would probably not
need a cover as it is normally dark out there. I do have quite a few motion
activated battery operated lights in there but they are rather dim.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, June 21, 2014 8:26:01 PM UTC-6, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>>
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >I had a wonderful potato bin for many years. I bought it from Ebay when

>> >lived in NY. I can't remember exactly what I paid but $50 or less. It
>> >was

>> >handmade of wood.

>> snip
>>
>> I have two empty cardboard boxes that I got from Costco. One is for
>>
>> potatoes the other for onions. I remove both vegetables from their
>>
>> bags so that they get air circulation. I drape the plastic bag the
>>
>> potatoes came in over the potatoes. Actually, I have several bags
>>
>> draped over the potatoes. The bags keep the light out without
>>
>> trapping moisture on the potatoes. No need to buy an expensive
>>
>> container.
>>
>> Janet US

> Now that is an excellent and practical way to store potatoes and dry
> onions. Why buy expensive containers?...indeed. Way to go.

Well, I like decorative things but I suppose in the garage, it wouldn't
matter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/21/2014 10:26 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I had a wonderful potato bin for many years. I bought it from Ebay when
>>> lived in NY. I can't remember exactly what I paid but $50 or less. It
>>> was
>>> handmade of wood.

>> snip
>> I have two empty cardboard boxes that I got from Costco. One is for
>> potatoes the other for onions. I remove both vegetables from their
>> bags so that they get air circulation. I drape the plastic bag the
>> potatoes came in over the potatoes. Actually, I have several bags
>> draped over the potatoes. The bags keep the light out without
>> trapping moisture on the potatoes. No need to buy an expensive
>> container.
>> Janet US
>>

> I still have two plastic (rather flexible) bins I remember from my
> childhood. Mom moved those from one place to another for years. She gave
> them to me when I was in my 20's. They're on the floor of the pantry
> under the lowest shelf. Onions go in one bin, potatoes in the other.
> It's always dark and cool in the pantry.
>
> I like your idea of cardboard boxes. I'd do that if I didn't still have
> these plastic bins. There's no reason to spend money on special
> containers for onions and potatoes.

Are they of an open design?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/21/2014 9:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> I was looking online at cheap bushel baskets. That might be big enough
>> for onions. But I can't visualize how big they are and can't look at
>> them in person since I don't know of any stores here that sell them. I
>> do know that a bushel is 8 gallons. Would that be big enough for around
>> 5 pounds of potatoes? Would it be strong enough to hold them?

> Bushel basket should hold 50 pounds. Years ago, produce was hauled in
> them from farm to market.
>
> Look at plastic laundry baskets or trash cans that are vented.

Oh my. I'm thinking that would be too big. But a peck might be too small.
Perhaps I will get cheap plastic laundry baskets. I have seen them for
around $3 and if those would work, they would be great! Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> So... If you buy yours in bulk, how do you store them?

My onions go in the fruit bowl and my potatoes go in one of the
cabinet drawers, where I store dried beans, pasta and other related
items.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I had a wonderful potato bin for many years. I bought it from Ebay when I
> lived in NY. I can't remember exactly what I paid but $50 or less. It was
> handmade of wood. Apparently it could also be used as a trash can but I
> wouldn't use it for that. It did have a wooden sort of ring if you will
> that fit around the outside. I guess that was to hold the trash bag in
> place. It eventually broke and I've not seen one like it since.
>
> For onions, I have had two different wooden bins each with sort of a
> hardware cloth over the flaps. They had three sections to them so I could
> keep three different kinds of onions. But they were cheaply made. They
> came from Collections Etc. They no longer sell them. Those eventually fell
> apart too.
>
> So now I need a new storage something or other. I've been trying to buy
> onions as needed but... I would prefer to stock up when on sale. And the
> same for potatoes. I've been keeping onions and small amounts of potatoes
> in the fridge. And I bought a bag to keep the light out for potatoes but I
> find that they sprout in there within the week.
>
> I am looking at something for the garage. The roofer installed vents over
> the garage so I am hoping that will solve the slight moisture problem.
>
> The problem? I can't find anything for a good price. I see wooden bins for
> around $90 with $30 shipping. I don't want to pay that much to store
> potatoes or onions. I do know not to store them together.
>
> I was looking online at cheap bushel baskets. That might be big enough for
> onions. But I can't visualize how big they are and can't look at them in
> person since I don't know of any stores here that sell them. I do know that
> a bushel is 8 gallons. Would that be big enough for around 5 pounds of
> potatoes? Would it be strong enough to hold them?
>
> My mom used a hanging basket and I had one of those when I was single and
> bought far less onions.
>
> I have also seen onion and potato baskets that look nice but some say that
> they're not very large, particularly the onion one.
>
> And I was looking at store displayers. Those might be nice because they sit
> up off the floor. Again, not cheap but they do look sturdy.
>
> So... If you buy yours in bulk, how do you store them?

why would YOU buy anything in bulk? almost everything you buy in small
quantities causes you some sort of problem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> So... If you buy yours in bulk, how do you store them?

> My onions go in the fruit bowl and my potatoes go in one of the
> cabinet drawers, where I store dried beans, pasta and other related
> items.

Wah. Got no spare drawers and my fruit bowl usually holds pears. But
thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I had a wonderful potato bin for many years...

> Oh gawd. Here we ****ing go again.
>
> Every time I download new threads in RFC I want to bang mine and
> everyone else's heads into the wall.
>
> My name is Steve, and I'd love to have productive threads about food
> and cooking.
>
> But this is just getting way too mind-numbing with these endless
> Julie-based threads. I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANY ****ING MORE.
>
> You WIN, Julie. You're a moron and everybody who talks to you is a
> moron as well. I am on troll status here until this group either
> shapes up or DIES.

What is wrong with asking what I asked? So far I have gotten several
different answers. And it is food related!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>So... how do you store them?

Spuds go into plastic crates.
Onions go into plastic net-like bags.
Then into the cellar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 23:26:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> So... If you buy yours in bulk, how do you store them?

>> My onions go in the fruit bowl and my potatoes go in one of the
>> cabinet drawers, where I store dried beans, pasta and other related
>> items.
>>

>Wah. Got no spare drawers and my fruit bowl usually holds pears. But
>thanks!

Bulk onions go into a fruit bowl and potatoes in a drawer?
I'd hate to see what a small amount looks like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>So... how do you store them?

> Spuds go into plastic crates.
> Onions go into plastic net-like bags.
> Then into the cellar.

I have a plastic crate for my old ones which is kept in the store, and new
ones go into a veg drawer in the fridge. The onions are in the veg drawer
next to it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't buy either in bulk because the smkt is only 10 minutes walk
away and always has them. Yes, we know you could not walk for 20
minutes or carry them in your tiny arms but I can and do, so lets skip
that, OK?

The current supply lives in my cool dark pantry in a stacking set of
three airy, perforated, open front plastic bins; a section each for
onions, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. There is no danger of a fatal
accident/getting lost without GPS in the dark cool pantry because it has
electric light, activated by a tiny switch.

I've had that set for 40+ years but you can still buy similar in any
UK homewares store, dirt cheap.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2014 11:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 6/21/2014 10:26 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> snip
>>> I have two empty cardboard boxes that I got from Costco. One is for
>>> potatoes the other for onions. I remove both vegetables from their
>>> bags so that they get air circulation. I drape the plastic bag the
>>> potatoes came in over the potatoes. Actually, I have several bags
>>> draped over the potatoes. The bags keep the light out without
>>> trapping moisture on the potatoes. No need to buy an expensive
>>> container.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I still have two plastic (rather flexible) bins I remember from my
>> childhood. Mom moved those from one place to another for years. She
>> gave them to me when I was in my 20's. They're on the floor of the
>> pantry under the lowest shelf. Onions go in one bin, potatoes in the
>> other. It's always dark and cool in the pantry.
>>
>> I like your idea of cardboard boxes. I'd do that if I didn't still
>> have these plastic bins. There's no reason to spend money on special
>> containers for onions and potatoes.

> Are they of an open design?

The bins I have are open on top, yes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2014 2:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I had a wonderful potato bin for many years...

>> Oh gawd. Here we ****ing go again.
>>
>> Every time I download new threads in RFC I want to bang mine and
>> everyone else's heads into the wall.
>>
>> My name is Steve, and I'd love to have productive threads about food
>> and cooking.
>>

> What is wrong with asking what I asked? So far I have gotten several
> different answers. And it is food related!

What he meant was we didn't need the backstory about all the bins you've
had and where you bought them and why they didn't work or why you no
longer have them or why some things you've looked at are too expensive
or otherwise wouldn't work. You could have simply asked the question
and mentioned you'd like to store 5+ lbs. of each at a time in the
garage. The rest was just useless blather (and yes, I'm as guilty of
doing that as anyone).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> So... If you buy yours in bulk, how do you store them?

I buy potatoes in 5lb plastic bags and onions in 3lb mesh bags.

I use an undercounter storage for these. It's maybe a bit cooler but
definitely dark. I set them on wicker basket material and side by
side. I don't understand why someone here said to not store them side
by side. I've never had any problem.

Once home, I immediately take potatoes out of the plastic. The 3lb
bags of onions, I just tear a hole in the mesh bag so I can get one
out as needed.

If you go too long, your potatoes can sprout or even turn mushy. Same
thing with onions...if you let them sit too long, they can get slimy.

To store in your garage, I would just use a couple of small cardboard
boxes, one for each and keep the lid on to keep them in the dark.
Store near the floor but not right on concrete. I would put the boxes
up just an inch or so aBOVE the floor to avoid dampness in the summer
time.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 11:02:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > So... If you buy yours in bulk, how do you store them?

> I buy potatoes in 5lb plastic bags and onions in 3lb mesh bags.
>
> I use an undercounter storage for these. It's maybe a bit cooler but
> definitely dark. I set them on wicker basket material and side by
> side. I don't understand why someone here said to not store them side
> by side. I've never had any problem.

You're storing yours separately. Nobody said they can't be stored in
the same general well ventilated area, but don't mix them together in
a bowl or covered container, like a metal drawer. Something about the
gases from onions causing the potatoes to sprout.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/21/2014 11:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I still have two plastic (rather flexible) bins I remember from my
>>> childhood. Mom moved those from one place to another for years. She
>>> gave them to me when I was in my 20's. They're on the floor of the
>>> pantry under the lowest shelf. Onions go in one bin, potatoes in the
>>> other. It's always dark and cool in the pantry.
>>>
>>> I like your idea of cardboard boxes. I'd do that if I didn't still
>>> have these plastic bins. There's no reason to spend money on special
>>> containers for onions and potatoes.

>> Are they of an open design?

> The bins I have are open on top, yes.

I actually meant the sides. Do they have air holes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> So... If you buy yours in bulk, how do you store them?

> I buy potatoes in 5lb plastic bags and onions in 3lb mesh bags.
>
> I use an undercounter storage for these. It's maybe a bit cooler but
> definitely dark. I set them on wicker basket material and side by
> side. I don't understand why someone here said to not store them side
> by side. I've never had any problem.
>
> Once home, I immediately take potatoes out of the plastic. The 3lb
> bags of onions, I just tear a hole in the mesh bag so I can get one
> out as needed.
>
> If you go too long, your potatoes can sprout or even turn mushy. Same
> thing with onions...if you let them sit too long, they can get slimy.
>
> To store in your garage, I would just use a couple of small cardboard
> boxes, one for each and keep the lid on to keep them in the dark.
> Store near the floor but not right on concrete. I would put the boxes
> up just an inch or so aBOVE the floor to avoid dampness in the summer
> time.

Some sort of chemical is released if onions and potatoes are stored together
and they'll rot more quickly. The problem I'm having is with sprouting.
Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2014 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Are they of an open design?

>> The bins I have are open on top, yes.

> I actually meant the sides. Do they have air holes?

No, they don't have air holes. They're just bins with a low cut front
and open top. I don't buy a ton of potatoes (or onions) at a time.
If, for some reason, Janet's suggestion of cardboard boxes won't work I
like Ed's idea of a couple of small laundry baskets.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:18:09 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/22/2014 2:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Oh gawd. Here we ****ing go again.
>>>
>>> Every time I download new threads in RFC I want to bang mine and
>>> everyone else's heads into the wall.
>>>
>>> My name is Steve, and I'd love to have productive threads about food
>>> and cooking.
>>>

>> What is wrong with asking what I asked? So far I have gotten several
>> different answers. And it is food related!

>What he meant was we didn't need the backstory about all the bins you've
>had and where you bought them and why they didn't work or why you no
>longer have them or why some things you've looked at are too expensive
>or otherwise wouldn't work. You could have simply asked the question
>and mentioned you'd like to store 5+ lbs. of each at a time in the
>garage. The rest was just useless blather (and yes, I'm as guilty of
>doing that as anyone).

Maybe... but not like THAT and THAT MUCH!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 11:21:47 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>So... how do you store them?

>> Spuds go into plastic crates.
>> Onions go into plastic net-like bags.
>> Then into the cellar.

>I have a plastic crate for my old ones which is kept in the store, and new
>ones go into a veg drawer in the fridge. The onions are in the veg drawer
>next to it.

I should mention I don't worry too much about onion storage, as they
are only about $4.50 per 10KG bag if you want to buy them here. Most
of the time I get them for free anyway, same with carrots and
broccoli.

Admittedly by the time I'm ¾ through the bag, they begin to go
spongy... the rest go to the poultry who break 'em down to compost.
Kinda wasteful, but onions are very plentiful here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 12:19:13 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> I don't buy either in bulk because the smkt is only 10 minutes walk
>away and always has them. Yes, we know you could not walk for 20
>minutes or carry them in your tiny arms but I can and do, so lets skip
>that, OK?
>
> The current supply lives in my cool dark pantry in a stacking set of
>three airy, perforated, open front plastic bins; a section each for
>onions, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. There is no danger of a fatal
>accident/getting lost without GPS in the dark cool pantry because it has
>electric light, activated by a tiny switch.

Nice work there. Although you never described whether the switch is in
a suitable spot or not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

So... If you buy yours in bulk, how do you store them?

~~~~~~~~
I use something like the stackable bins shown on this page. I have had them
for years, and I think mine were made by Rubbermaid.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/United-Com...-of-6/33269236

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 11:21:47 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:26:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Spuds go into plastic crates.
>>> Onions go into plastic net-like bags.
>>> Then into the cellar.

>>I have a plastic crate for my old ones which is kept in the store, and new
>>ones go into a veg drawer in the fridge. The onions are in the veg drawer
>>next to it.

> I should mention I don't worry too much about onion storage, as they
> are only about $4.50 per 10KG bag if you want to buy them here. Most
> of the time I get them for free anyway, same with carrots and
> broccoli.
>
> Admittedly by the time I'm ¾ through the bag, they begin to go
> spongy... the rest go to the poultry who break 'em down to compost.
> Kinda wasteful, but onions are very plentiful here.

Never wasted if the poultry eat them.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 11:21:47 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>>I have a plastic crate for my old ones which is kept in the store, and
>>>new
>>>ones go into a veg drawer in the fridge. The onions are in the veg
>>>drawer
>>>next to it.

>> I should mention I don't worry too much about onion storage, as they
>> are only about $4.50 per 10KG bag if you want to buy them here. Most
>> of the time I get them for free anyway, same with carrots and
>> broccoli.
>>
>> Admittedly by the time I'm ¾ through the bag, they begin to go
>> spongy... the rest go to the poultry who break 'em down to compost.
>> Kinda wasteful, but onions are very plentiful here.

> Never wasted if the poultry eat them.

I thought you should never feed onions to chickens? My friend who had
chickens said not to as it would flavor their eggs. When I sad this to my
mom who grew up on a farm she said it was true. Now I would think that
onion flavored eggs would be a good thing! Unless you are making an angel
food cake that is...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:34:39 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> Well, I like decorative things but I suppose in the garage, it wouldn't matter.

Check out www.lehmans.com. They have nice wood bushels with optional cloth drapes. Cheapish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>
> So... If you buy yours in bulk, how do you store them?
>
> ~~~~~~~~
> I use something like the stackable bins shown on this page. I have had
> them for years, and I think mine were made by Rubbermaid.
> http://www.walmart.com/ip/United-Com...-of-6/33269236

Thanks! I have similar for extra paper products, foil, bags, etc. The ones
I have are discontinued.

~~~~~~~
I got mine at WalMart, years ago. Amazon.com has a variety available. Try
he
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...orage %20bins

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 07:51:23 -0500, "MaryL"
> wrote:

> Try he
> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...orage %20bins
>
> MaryL

I love those tiered breadbox/vegetable bin containers and those
potato/onion baskets are too cute for words! Wish I had the space for
them.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 11:15:09 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 11:21:47 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>>I have a plastic crate for my old ones which is kept in the store, and new
>>>ones go into a veg drawer in the fridge. The onions are in the veg drawer
>>>next to it.

>> I should mention I don't worry too much about onion storage, as they
>> are only about $4.50 per 10KG bag if you want to buy them here. Most
>> of the time I get them for free anyway, same with carrots and
>> broccoli.
>>
>> Admittedly by the time I'm ¾ through the bag, they begin to go
>> spongy... the rest go to the poultry who break 'em down to compost.
>> Kinda wasteful, but onions are very plentiful here.

>Never wasted if the poultry eat them.

Don't know that they actually eat the onions, but I throw them into
their yard and they get broken down before long just through them
scratching around. Maybe I should check some of the hens for onion
breath.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> "MaryL" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>
>> So... If you buy yours in bulk, how do you store them?
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~
>> I use something like the stackable bins shown on this page. I have had
>> them for years, and I think mine were made by Rubbermaid.
>> http://www.walmart.com/ip/United-Com...-of-6/33269236

> Thanks! I have similar for extra paper products, foil, bags, etc. The
> ones
> I have are discontinued.
>
> ~~~~~~~
> I got mine at WalMart, years ago. Amazon.com has a variety available.
> Try he
> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...orage %20bins
>
> MaryL

I already got some bins at Target. I really wish I could have everything
all matchy matchy but I'm not about to spend a bunch of money just to store
things. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 07:51:23 -0500, "MaryL"
> > wrote:
>
>> Try he
>> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...orage %20bins
>>
>> MaryL

> I love those tiered breadbox/vegetable bin containers and those
> potato/onion baskets are too cute for words! Wish I had the space for
> them.

The bins I had in the past were like the one in the U-Bild pic. I can find
instructions for building them but never the bins themselves. I don't need
the kind with the breadbox on top. But when I bought them, they were
$19.99. They were great for keeping onions in the kitchen but then the
onions began to sprout in there. Perhaps because I placed opposite the
dishwasher? Might have done better in the dining room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thomas" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:34:39 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Well, I like decorative things but I suppose in the garage, it wouldn't
>> matter.

> Check out www.lehmans.com. They have nice wood bushels with optional cloth
> drapes. Cheapish.

Thanks! I wound up getting cheap plastic baskets. I do love Lehmans but
don't order a lot from them. They are where I got the giant potato masher.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 11:15:09 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 11:21:47 +0100, "Ophelia"

m...

>>> I should mention I don't worry too much about onion storage, as they
>>> are only about $4.50 per 10KG bag if you want to buy them here. Most
>>> of the time I get them for free anyway, same with carrots and
>>> broccoli.
>>>
>>> Admittedly by the time I'm ¾ through the bag, they begin to go
>>> spongy... the rest go to the poultry who break 'em down to compost.
>>> Kinda wasteful, but onions are very plentiful here.

>>Never wasted if the poultry eat them.

> Don't know that they actually eat the onions, but I throw them into
> their yard and they get broken down before long just through them
> scratching around. Maybe I should check some of the hens for onion
> breath.

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/