Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Saturday Night's Dinner (2/22/2020)

I was invited to a company anniversary party for a former co-worker.
He chose a restaurant that I've read many reviews of and it was quite
good. All tables seated 10 and we were a party of 15 and several
minutes later another couple was seated at our table of 5. Food was
served family style with sweet and unsweetened tea, lemonade, and
ice water on the table along with peach preserves and butter.

The dinner started with hot biscuits and cornbread plus milk gravy.
Cole Slaw
Cucumber and tomato salad
Mashed potatoes
Fried apples
Macaroni and cheese
Corn souffle/pudding
Green beans
White beans
Pull pork barbecue
Meatloaf
Fried fish
Fried chicken
Hush puppies
Banana pudding

They also do breakfast and lunch, each starting and ending at a specific
time and I'd love to do their breakfast someday.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 17:19:11 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>I was invited to a company anniversary party for a former co-worker.
>He chose a restaurant that I've read many reviews of and it was quite
>good. All tables seated 10 and we were a party of 15 and several
>minutes later another couple was seated at our table of 5. Food was
>served family style with sweet and unsweetened tea, lemonade, and
>ice water on the table along with peach preserves and butter.
>
>The dinner started with hot biscuits and cornbread plus milk gravy.
>Cole Slaw
>Cucumber and tomato salad
>Mashed potatoes
>Fried apples
>Macaroni and cheese
>Corn souffle/pudding
>Green beans
>White beans
>Pull pork barbecue
>Meatloaf
>Fried fish
>Fried chicken
>Hush puppies
>Banana pudding
>
>They also do breakfast and lunch, each starting and ending at a specific
>time and I'd love to do their breakfast someday.

I had a pizza with a tortilla rice crust topped with some mozz
pepperoni and kimchi

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 17:19:11 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>The dinner started with hot biscuits and cornbread plus milk gravy.

Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?

I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
it on biscuits.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 17:19:11 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> The dinner started with hot biscuits and cornbread plus milk gravy.

> Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
> simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?
>
> I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
> it on biscuits.
>
> Doris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravy

Look about 2 pages down, under "cream gravy"

Yankees generally don't eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 6:14:27 PM UTC-10, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 17:19:11 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >The dinner started with hot biscuits and cornbread plus milk gravy.

> Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
> simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?
>
> I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
> it on biscuits.
>
> Doris

It's a roux based gravy made with sausage or bacon dripping, flour, and milk. You can probably make it with drippings from fried chicken. You could make it with cream but most people probably make it with milk. In a restaurant setting, it's probably made from a powder mix.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/McCormick...8-oz/217314753

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 10:14:27 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:

> Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
> simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?
>
> I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
> it on biscuits.
>
> Doris

No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
sauce.

Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 7:55:06 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 10:14:27 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:
> >
> > Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
> > simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?
> >
> > I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
> > it on biscuits.
> >
> > Doris
> >

> No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
> sauce.
>
> Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
> them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can cook a steak in a wok.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 11:38:46 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 6:14:27 PM UTC-10, Doris Night wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 17:19:11 -0800 (PST), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >The dinner started with hot biscuits and cornbread plus milk gravy.

> > Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
> > simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?
> >
> > I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
> > it on biscuits.
> >
> > Doris

> It's a roux based gravy made with sausage or bacon dripping, flour, and milk. You can probably make it with drippings from fried chicken. You could make it with cream but most people probably make it with milk. In a restaurant setting, it's probably made from a powder mix.
>
> https://www.walmart.com/ip/McCormick...8-oz/217314753

You can make it from fried chicken drippings (not deep-fried). Grandma
made milk gravy every time she made fried chicken.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 10:14:27 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:
> >
> > Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
> > simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?
> >
> > I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
> > it on biscuits.
> >
> > Doris
> >

> No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
> sauce.
>
> Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
> them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
cook a steak in a wok.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX

===

Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 3:22:48 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 7:55:06 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 10:14:27 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:
> > >
> > > Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
> > > simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?
> > >
> > > I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
> > > it on biscuits.
> > >
> > > Doris
> > >

> > No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
> > sauce.
> >
> > Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
> > them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

> I had a steak and raw fish.

That's an odd combo for a single sitting. I'd have thought it would be an either or situation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 9:31:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 3:22:48 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
> > > sauce.
> > >
> > > Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
> > > them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

> > I had a steak and raw fish.

> That's an odd combo for a single sitting. I'd have thought it would be an either or situation.

If the portions are relatively small, why not? A little sushi as an appetizer
followed by some steak.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can cook a steak in a wok.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX

*DUDE*, what a creepy combination. Just kidding but I would
have eaten the steak and donated the raw fish to the starving
kids in India.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 2:23:27 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 7:55:06 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 10:14:27 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:
> > >
> > > Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
> > > simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?
> > >
> > > I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
> > > it on biscuits.
> > >
> > > Doris
> > >

> > No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
> > sauce.
> >
> > Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
> > them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

> I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
> cook a steak in a wok.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
>
> ===
>
> Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

This entire rock is unafraid of raw fish. It doesn't seem to hurt us so we eat a lot of it. Yesterday was a special day so I felt a need to get some. It was just okay.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._xGyvX48Nk2ohu

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 5:04:53 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can cook a steak in a wok.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX

> *DUDE*, what a creepy combination. Just kidding but I would
> have eaten the steak and donated the raw fish to the starving
> kids in India.

Beats me if kids in India eat raw fish. What I do know is that the kids in American do. That's rather surprising but it just goes to show that the young people of this country will boldly go where the old folks won't.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how...ld-a-poke-bowl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2020 10:16 AM, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 09:00:50 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/23/2020 8:19 PM, wrote:
>>>
>>> I was invited to a company anniversary party for a former co-worker.
>>> He chose a restaurant that I've read many reviews of and it was quite
>>> good. All tables seated 10 and we were a party of 15 and several
>>> minutes later another couple was seated at our table of 5. Food was
>>> served family style with sweet and unsweetened tea, lemonade, and
>>> ice water on the table along with peach preserves and butter.
>>>
>>> The dinner started with hot biscuits and cornbread plus milk gravy.
>>> Cole Slaw
>>> Cucumber and tomato salad
>>> Mashed potatoes
>>> Fried apples
>>> Macaroni and cheese
>>> Corn souffle/pudding
>>> Green beans
>>> White beans
>>> Pull pork barbecue
>>> Meatloaf
>>> Fried fish
>>> Fried chicken
>>> Hush puppies
>>> Banana pudding
>>>
>>> They also do breakfast and lunch, each starting and ending at a specific
>>> time and I'd love to do their breakfast someday.
>>>

>> That's a heck of a menu! I baked a skillet of cornbread last night. So
>> sorry my recipe says to bake it for 25 minutes but I had to let it go
>> another 5 to get the nice golden crust I prefer.
>>
>> Jill

> Reminds me of Julie's Box Brownies, sometimes more baking time is
> neeed.

That's exactly why I mentioned it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 12:35:22 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 5:04:53 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > > I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can cook a steak in a wok.
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX

> > *DUDE*, what a creepy combination. Just kidding but I would
> > have eaten the steak and donated the raw fish to the starving
> > kids in India.

> Beats me if kids in India eat raw fish. What I do know is that the kids in American do. That's rather surprising but it just goes to show that the young people of this country will boldly go where the old folks won't.
>
> https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how...ld-a-poke-bowl

Most old folks. I see a lot of gray-haired Anglos eating sushi
around here.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 8:52:27 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 12:35:22 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > *DUDE*, what a creepy combination. Just kidding but I would
> > > have eaten the steak and donated the raw fish to the starving
> > > kids in India.

> > Beats me if kids in India eat raw fish. What I do know is that the kids in American do. That's rather surprising but it just goes to show that the young people of this country will boldly go where the old folks won't.
> >
> > https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how...ld-a-poke-bowl

> Most old folks. I see a lot of gray-haired Anglos eating sushi
> around here.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Sushi was trendy back in the 90's. The gray-haired Anglos eat sushi, the kids eat poke.

My brother says there's a lot of sushi in Indiana. Sushi chefs were imported from Japan to service the Japanese executives at the Toyota and Subaru plants. He says his sushi chef is Mexican.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaMo7qN-OMg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:21:30 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 7:55:06 PM UTC-10,
>wrote:
>> On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 10:14:27 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:
>> >
>> > Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
>> > simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?
>> >
>> > I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
>> > it on biscuits.
>> >
>> > Doris
>> >

>> No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
>> sauce.
>>
>> Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
>> them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

>I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
>cook a steak in a wok.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
>
>===
>
> Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

Scallop sushi is the best. Salmon sushi's good too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 06:53:44 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:21:30 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>>On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 7:55:06 PM UTC-10,
>>wrote:

>>> No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
>>> sauce.
>>>
>>> Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
>>> them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

>>I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
>>cook a steak in a wok.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
>>
>>===
>>
>> Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

>Scallop sushi is the best. Salmon sushi's good too.

I mean sashimi.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 10:05:05 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>> I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can cook a steak in a wok.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX

>*DUDE*, what a creepy combination. Just kidding but I would
>have eaten the steak and donated the raw fish to the starving
>kids in India.

We know your taste buds are rather limited, Gary. You're the average
American, remember?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 10:52:22 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 12:35:22 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

>> > *DUDE*, what a creepy combination. Just kidding but I would
>> > have eaten the steak and donated the raw fish to the starving
>> > kids in India.

>> Beats me if kids in India eat raw fish. What I do know is that the kids in American do. That's rather surprising but it just goes to show that the young people of this country will boldly go where the old folks won't.
>>
>> https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how...ld-a-poke-bowl

>Most old folks. I see a lot of gray-haired Anglos eating sushi
>around here.

Gray-haired Anglos FTW!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 2:13:08 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 8:52:27 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Beats me if kids in India eat raw fish. What I do know is that the kids in American do. That's rather surprising but it just goes to show that the young people of this country will boldly go where the old folks won't.
> > >
> > > https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how...ld-a-poke-bowl

> > Most old folks. I see a lot of gray-haired Anglos eating sushi
> > around here.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Sushi was trendy back in the 90's. The gray-haired Anglos eat sushi, the kids eat poke.

I find poke is often more food than I want to eat. It has always seemed a
little blah, but maybe that a result of the particular places I've had it,
and the way in which I've customized it. I'd rather have bi bim bap.

> My brother says there's a lot of sushi in Indiana. Sushi chefs were imported from Japan to service the Japanese executives at the Toyota and Subaru plants. He says his sushi chef is Mexican.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaMo7qN-OMg

About half the sushi chefs in Ann Arbor appear to be Mexican.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 2:23:27 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 7:55:06 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 10:14:27 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:
> > >
> > > Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
> > > simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?
> > >
> > > I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
> > > it on biscuits.
> > >
> > > Doris
> > >

> > No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
> > sauce.
> >
> > Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
> > them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

> I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
> cook a steak in a wok.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
>
> ===
>
> Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

This entire rock is unafraid of raw fish. It doesn't seem to hurt us so we
eat a lot of it. Yesterday was a special day so I felt a need to get some.
It was just okay.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._xGyvX48Nk2ohu

====

OK )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:21:30 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 7:55:06 PM UTC-10,
>wrote:
>> On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 10:14:27 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:
>> >
>> > Can someone please explain to me exactly what "milk gravy" is? Is it
>> > simply bechamel sauce? Or something more complicated?
>> >
>> > I gotta tell you, if it's just bechamel sauce, I can't picture eating
>> > it on biscuits.
>> >
>> > Doris
>> >

>> No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
>> sauce.
>>
>> Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
>> them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

>I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
>cook a steak in a wok.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
>
>===
>
> Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

Scallop sushi is the best. Salmon sushi's good too.

====

Raw?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 20:24:13 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:21:30 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>>On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 7:55:06 PM UTC-10,
>>wrote:

>>> No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
>>> sauce.
>>>
>>> Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
>>> them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

>>I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
>>cook a steak in a wok.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
>>
>>===
>>
>> Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

>Scallop sushi is the best. Salmon sushi's good too.
>
>====
>
> Raw?

Yes, raw scallops are quite sweet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 20:24:13 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:21:30 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>>On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 7:55:06 PM UTC-10,
>>wrote:

>>> No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
>>> sauce.
>>>
>>> Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
>>> them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

>>I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
>>cook a steak in a wok.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
>>
>>===
>>
>> Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

>Scallop sushi is the best. Salmon sushi's good too.
>
>====
>
> Raw?

Yes, raw scallops are quite sweet.

====

They can't harm you??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 20:34:53 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 20:24:13 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:21:30 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>>
>>>"dsi1" wrote in message

>>>I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
>>>cook a steak in a wok.
>>>
>>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
>>>
>>>===
>>>
>>> Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

>>Scallop sushi is the best. Salmon sushi's good too.
>>
>>====
>>
>> Raw?

>Yes, raw scallops are quite sweet.
>
>====
>
> They can't harm you??

I've eaten raw fish for a long time and never gotten sick from it. But
only in Japanese restaurants, where they know what they're doing. Oh,
and also from supermarkets, but only if it looks fresh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 3:24:41 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:21:30 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
> >"dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> >On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 7:55:06 PM UTC-10,
> >wrote:

> >> No onions and definitely no nutmeg which are usually used in a bechamel
> >> sauce.
> >>
> >> Around here the hot biscuits are split open and the gravy is ladled over
> >> them. Rib sticking food and NOT diet vittles.

> >I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
> >cook a steak in a wok.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
> >
> >===
> >
> > Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

> Scallop sushi is the best. Salmon sushi's good too.
>
> ====
>
> Raw?

Sushi isn't raw fish. Sushi is rice dressed with a sugar and vinegar
combination.

It is frequently garnished with a slice of raw fish, but other common
toppings (or fillings if it's rolled up) are cucumber or other vegetables,
various sorts of cooked seafood such as octopus, crab-flavored white fish,
shrimp tempura).

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 3:35:03 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 20:24:13 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Bruce" wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> >On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:21:30 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
> >
> >>"dsi1" wrote in message

> >>I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
> >>cook a steak in a wok.
> >>
> >>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
> >>
> >>===
> >>
> >> Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

> >Scallop sushi is the best. Salmon sushi's good too.
> >
> >====
> >
> > Raw?

> Yes, raw scallops are quite sweet.
>
> ====
>
> They can't harm you??

Anything can harm you. Look at Mad Cow Disease or any of a hundred other
food-borne diseases.

A lot of people think a little risk is worth a lot of deliciousness.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 13:02:17 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 3:24:41 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:21:30 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >"dsi1" wrote in message

>> >I had a steak and raw fish. It was rib sticking alright and yes, you can
>> >cook a steak in a wok.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...QaMCp3c7tMb9KX
>> >
>> >===
>> >
>> > Are you not afraid of raw fish?? Not sure I could manage that!

>> Scallop sushi is the best. Salmon sushi's good too.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Raw?

>Sushi isn't raw fish. Sushi is rice dressed with a sugar and vinegar
>combination.
>
>It is frequently garnished with a slice of raw fish, but other common
>toppings (or fillings if it's rolled up) are cucumber or other vegetables,
>various sorts of cooked seafood such as octopus, crab-flavored white fish,
>shrimp tempura).

Thank you, Scientific Cindy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 8:00:55 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> That's a heck of a menu! I baked a skillet of cornbread last night. So
> sorry my recipe says to bake it for 25 minutes but I had to let it go
> another 5 to get the nice golden crust I prefer.
>
> Jill

It sure was! And plenty of refills on whatever bowl turned up empty.

Uh-oh. You mean you don't bake your cornbread for 31 minutes precisely??

;o)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 13:28:17 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 8:00:55 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> That's a heck of a menu! I baked a skillet of cornbread last night. So
>> sorry my recipe says to bake it for 25 minutes but I had to let it go
>> another 5 to get the nice golden crust I prefer.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>It sure was! And plenty of refills on whatever bowl turned up empty.

And refills of diabetes juice, I assume?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 3:57:15 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> And refills of diabetes juice, I assume?

Soft drinks (colas) are not served there. But sweetened as well as
unsweetened tea, lemonade, and water were on the table the entire
time for those wanting to refill their glasses. I did not partake
of the tea as I didn't know how sweet it would be and I didn't want
to fill up on a sugary drink.

I didn't eat any of the peach preserves either. Banana pudding was
not homemade.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 6:03:54 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >
> > BTW, I've lived all my adult life in the Southern US and I've never tasted
> > banana pudding.

> My mom used to make it. It was layered with vanilla wafers. My dad liked it.
> Nobody else did.

You've stated more than once your mother cannot cook (the apple doesn't fall
from the tree there) so why would I be surprised no one but your dad liked it?