Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default making truffles

a little too runny but they'll get eaten anyways.

simple recipe and this will be funny because
it is mixing units but it will be easier to
remember for me.

as made this evening:

- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream

- 400 grams of chocolate

- cocoa to coat (or whatever else you'd like
we used either Heath Bar pieces or pecans this
evening).

method:

heat up whipping cream to just below boiling.
pour over chunked up chocolate. let sit a few minutes
and then stir until smooth. if needed use a little
more heat from the microwave (but don't use too much
all at once because you don't want to burn or heat
up the chocolate so much - you just want to melt it
and the hotter you get it the longer it takes to
cool back off). stir stir towards the end you can
wiggle the stirrer in the mixture to get the air
bubbles out. some people might care about this. i
kinda don't.

once you have it mixed and smooth cover it and
cool it for two to three hours.

use a scooper to measure out portions you'd like
and drop them in the coatings you'd like to use and
then set them on non-stick surface/container and
pop in the freezer to keep. fridge is ok too but
i like them better when kept in the freezer as then
you can take them someplace and they'll be firmer
in transit.

adjustments i'd make for next batch:

firmer, these were a bit too runny, but very
edible. maybe another 100 grams of chocolate will
do it.

other things:

you can add flavoriing/liquors to this mix, but
you will want to keep about the same volume of liquid
so you have to adjust for that. i've used all sorts
of flavorings and liquors and all of them were good
in the end. instant coffee can add some kick that
people won't expect. in dark chocolate you can add
just a little and people will be wondering what is
going on there... kahlua and instant coffee and
extra vanilla is major zoom, but good too.

oddly enough i think my favorites were the white
chocolate ones i made with maple walnut filling (the
filling had white chocolate, heavy cream and maple
syrup with some maple flavor added to give it a bit
more of a boost). i used candy molds to coat them
instead of dipping. i never use those fake coatings
that have palm kernel oil in them. that's just waxy
crap. horrid.

none of those are for dieting. the chunks we made
this evening could probably be cut into quarters for
bite sized portions. i don't even know who we made
them for. haha. i didn't eat a whole one. trying
to be good and if i had eaten them i'd not get to
sleep any time soon.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 10:50:49 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:

> a little too runny but they'll get eaten anyways.
>
> songbird

I love them but have never made them and they are soooooo good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

breakfast. i had one. just told Mom i should have
gotten out some bacon crumbles and rolled them in
that for breakfast. hahaha...

still good as it was.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 10:50:49 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
> a little too runny but they'll get eaten anyways.
>
> simple recipe and this will be funny because
> it is mixing units but it will be easier to
> remember for me.
>

> as made this evening:
>
> - 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
>
> - 400 grams of chocolate
>
> - cocoa to coat (or whatever else you'd like
> we used either Heath Bar pieces or pecans this
> evening).
>

> method:
>
> heat up whipping cream to just below boiling.
> pour over chunked up chocolate. let sit a few minutes
> and then stir until smooth. if needed use a little
> more heat from the microwave (but don't use too much
> all at once because you don't want to burn or heat
> up the chocolate so much - you just want to melt it
> and the hotter you get it the longer it takes to
> cool back off). stir stir towards the end you can
> wiggle the stirrer in the mixture to get the air
> bubbles out. some people might care about this. i
> kinda don't.
>
> once you have it mixed and smooth cover it and
> cool it for two to three hours.
>
> use a scooper to measure out portions you'd like
> and drop them in the coatings you'd like to use and
> then set them on non-stick surface/container and
> pop in the freezer to keep. fridge is ok too but
> i like them better when kept in the freezer as then
> you can take them someplace and they'll be firmer
> in transit.
>

> adjustments i'd make for next batch:
>
> firmer, these were a bit too runny, but very
> edible. maybe another 100 grams of chocolate will
> do it.
>

> other things:
>
> you can add flavoriing/liquors to this mix, but
> you will want to keep about the same volume of liquid
> so you have to adjust for that. i've used all sorts
> of flavorings and liquors and all of them were good
> in the end. instant coffee can add some kick that
> people won't expect. in dark chocolate you can add
> just a little and people will be wondering what is
> going on there... kahlua and instant coffee and
> extra vanilla is major zoom, but good too.
>
> oddly enough i think my favorites were the white
> chocolate ones i made with maple walnut filling (the
> filling had white chocolate, heavy cream and maple
> syrup with some maple flavor added to give it a bit
> more of a boost). i used candy molds to coat them
> instead of dipping. i never use those fake coatings
> that have palm kernel oil in them. that's just waxy
> crap. horrid.
>
> none of those are for dieting. the chunks we made
> this evening could probably be cut into quarters for
> bite sized portions. i don't even know who we made
> them for. haha. i didn't eat a whole one. trying
> to be good and if i had eaten them i'd not get to
> sleep any time soon.
>

> songbird

Yep! That's what I love about candy making mistakes, they are usually delicious!

I just screwed up a batch of English Toffee, and made Butter Toffee instead:

https://i.postimg.cc/W1FWyzYC/Butter-Toffee.jpg

I used a qt of cream rather than 2 cups! Oops! :-) But it IS delicious treats for me and my housemates!

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and KutheChocolates.com sole proprietor