Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy 90th, Jean Anderson! ("A Love Affair With Southern Cooking:Recipes And Recollections," 2007)

From Harper Collins:

"The winner of five best cookbook awards (Tastemaker, James Beard, IACP) and a member of the James Beard Cookbook Hall of Fame, Jean Anderson writes for Bon Appétit, Food & Wine, Cottage Living, Gourmet, More, and other national publications. She lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina."

https://www.google.com/search?q=jean...w=1284&bih=830
(book covers)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/sho....Jean_Anderson
(reader reviews)

https://www.uncpress.org/book/978146...ln-to-kitchen/
(about her new book: "Kiln to Kitchen")

https://www.cookstr.com/users/jean-anderson
(includes photo)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_A...ookbook_author)
(includes 15 of her book titles)

https://www.poormansfeast.com/interv...-jean-anderson
(long Q&A)

Excerpt:

Q: Tell me a little bit about your testing process, which must be exceptionally meticulous. Speaking as both an editor and an author, I have never experienced the level of recipe precision anywhere, that I have with your books.

A: First of all, I have a solid grounding in food chemistry and physics (Cornell), so I know why things work or dont work (and for years I was the €śred phone€ť at Gourmet, thanks to my good bud Sara Moulton, who also worked in the Gourmet test kitchen before becoming their Executive Chef). My first job right out of Columbia Journalism School (I received my masters of science there), was in the LHJ test kitchen in NYC and that was incredible training. Every recipe was tested and retested until foolproof and if any test girl slipped up and a faulty recipe showed up in print, woes her. Early on, the baking powder was omitted from a Cranberry Nut Bread I tested (lost during the editing and production processes and no one caught it). So I personally reimbursed every cranky reader who wrote in to complain about the €śgunky gray mess.€ť You learn fast when youre on a slim salary and have to shell out to disgruntled readers.

https://www.southernfoodways.org/wp-...al-history.pdf
(long interview from 2018)

Jean Anderson on "perfect picnic dessert recipes," from June 2016.

http://www.newsobserver.com/living/f...e84998952.html

It includes recipes for sticky toffee pudding, Swedish Cream, and Blueberry Pecan Crunch.

(I first knew Anderson from her ghost story "The Lady in Black," from "The Haunting of America: Ghost Stories from Our Past" (1973) about a Confederate female spy who supposedly haunts a fort in Boston Harbor. Trouble is, there's no real proof any such spy was ever there, let alone executed - after all, if the U.S. Army executed a female spy, it would have made the headline news, right?)

Partial booklist:

WRITINGS:

Henry the Navigator: Prince of Portugal, Westminster (Philadelphia, PA), 1969.
The Haunting of America: Ghost Stories from Our Past, Houghton (Boston, MA), 1973.

COOKBOOKS

(With Yeffe Kimball) The Art of American Indian Cooking, Doubleday (New York City), 1965.
Food Is More than Cooking: A Basic Guide for Young Cooks, Westminster, 1968.

(Editor) The Family Circle Illustrated Library of Cooking: Your Ready Reference for a Lifetime of Good Eating, twelve volumes, Rockville House, 1972.
The Family Circle Cookbook (Literary Guild main selection), Quadrangle, 1974.
(With Elaine Hanna) The Doubleday Cookbook (Literary Guild main selection), Doubleday, 1975, revised edition published as The New Doubleday Cookbook, 1985.
Recipes from America's Restored Villages, Doubleday, 1975.
The Green Thumb Preserving Guide: The Best and Safest Way to Can and Freeze, Dry and Store, Pickle, Preserve and Relish Home-Grown Vegetables and Fruits, Morrow (New York City), 1976.
The Grass Roots Cookbook, Quadrangle, 1977 , reprinted, Doubleday, 1992..

(With Ruth Buchan) Half a Can of Tomato Paste and Other Culinary Dilemmas, Harper (New York City), 1980.
Jean Anderson's Processor Cooking, Morrow, 1980.
Jean Anderson Cooks, Morrow, 1982.
Unforbidden Sweets: More than 100 Classic Desserts You Can Now Enjoy without Counting Calories, Arbor House (New York City), 1982.
Jean Anderson's New Processor Cooking, Morrow, 1983.
Jean Anderson's New Green Thumb Preserving Guide, Morrow, 1985.
(With Elaine Hanna) The New Doubleday Cookbook, Doubleday, 1985.
The Food of Portugal, Morrow, 1986, updated second edition, 1994.

(With Hanna) Micro Ways: Every Cook's Complete Guide to Microwaving (Literary Guild selection), Doubleday, 1990.
Sin-Free Desserts: 150 Low-Cholesterol Desserts You Can Enjoy with a Clear Conscience, Doubleday, 1991.
Jean Anderson's Sin Free Desserts: 150 Low-Cholesterol Desserts, Doubleday, 1991.
(With Hedy Wuerz) The New German Cookbook (Book-of-the-Month Club selection), Harper, 1993.
1,001 Secrets of Great Cooks: Tricks of the Trade from the Best in the Business, Morrow, 1995.
(With Barbara Deskins) The Nutrition Bible, Morrow, 1995.
The American Century Cook-Book, Potter, 1997, Gramercy Books (New York, NY), 2005.

(Co-Editor with Sara Moulton and Emeril Lagasse) The Good Morning America Cut the Calories Cookbook: 120 Delicious Low-Fat, Low-Cal Recipes from Our Viewers, Hyperion, 2000.
Dinners in a Dish or a Dash: 275 Easy One-Dish Meals Plus Tons of Time-Saving Tips, Morrow, 2000.
Process This!: New Recipes for the New Generation of Processors + Dozens of Time-Saving Tips, Morrow (New York, NY), 2002.
Quick Loaves Sweet 'n' Savory, Morrow (New York, NY), 2005.
A Love Affair with Southern Cooking: Recipes and Recollections, William Morrow (New York, NY), 2007.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

And, from 2011:

https://sandychatter.wordpress.com/2...okbook-author/

Excerpts:

"Jean Anderson is a cookbook author whose work I have long admired, but with the publishing of 'AMERICAN CENTURY COOKBOOK' her status, in my eyes, increased enormously...

"...Like so many other culinary artists, Jean Anderson is a southerner, a native of Raleigh, North Carolina, who was born Helen Jean Anderson. For many years she lived in New York City, but a few years ago in the late 1990s, Jean returned to the south, to Chapel Hill, where she lives today. For many years, Jean lived in Manhattan; she worked as an editor of Family Circle and Ladies Home Journal. She was also a senior editor at Venture magazine. She traveled the world on assignments for magazines such as Gourmet, Saveur, and Travel and Leisure. Jean traveled extensively as a free-lance writer-photographer in Europe, parts of Russia, India, the Middle East, and Latin and South America (Her travel itinerary reminds me a bit of a couple of other favorite cookbook authors, Myra Waldo and Betty Wason).

"Jean is a graduate of Cornell University, where she majored in food and nutrition and has a master's degree in journalism from Columbia University. Her early career included working as women's editor for the North Carolina Agriculture Extension Service...

"...Jean Anderson has received many awards in the course of her career, including being named "Editor of the Year" in 1992 by the James Beard Foundation; she was inducted into the James Beard Who's Who in Food & Beverages in America in 1994, and into the James Beard Cookbook Hall of Fame in 1999. She was a winner of the R.T. French Tastemaker Award, for Best Basic Cookbook of the Year, in 1975, and then for Best Specialty Cookbook of the Year, in 1980. Jean was a winner of the Seagram/International Association of Culinary Professionals Award for Best Foreign Cookbook of the Year in 1986 (possibly The Food of Portugal, which was published in 1986), and was a finalist for the James Beard Cookbook Awards and Julia Child Cookbook Awards in 1998..

"One can't help but wonder--how does a girl from North Carolina, who spent most of her adult life in New York, happen to write a book about Portugal? Jean explains, in the introduction to "THE FOOD OF PORTUGAL" that she never expected to find such bounty or culinary virtuosity when she first visited Portugal 25 years before writing her one and only foreign cookbook. As a matter of fact, 'THE FOOD OF PORTUGAL' was the only major cookbook in English ever published on the food of Portugal at the time it was published, in 1986. When people heard that she was writing a Portuguese cookbook, they invariably asked, 'But isn't it just like Spanish cooking?' to which Jean demonstrates, no, it isn't..."

https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...4dUDCAo&uact=5
(a few Kirkus reviews)

Lenona.