Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sirloin Tip steaks, what to do with them

These steaks are on for $3.88CDN. I'm thinking of stocking up on them and making stews, braises. I've rarely used this cut. What would happen if they are grilled? How much of a chew would they have?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 4:15:50 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
> These steaks are on for $3.88CDN. I'm thinking of stocking up on them and making stews, braises. I've rarely used this cut. What would happen if they are grilled? How much of a chew would they have?

They can be tough but they have good flavor.

I buy them in "family packs", vacuum seal them individually, and then sous vide them. I then chill and freeze them so that I can have a nice little steak when I want one. Just thaw it in the fridge and throw it into a screaming hot cast iron skillet to sear and you've got a nice dinner.

You can sous vide and finish on the bbq grill too. The sous vide makes a huge difference.

I used to buy these before I became a fan and a user of sous vide and you never knew if they would be sorta tender or really tough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-11 7:15 a.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
> These steaks are on for $3.88CDN. I'm thinking of stocking up on
> them and making stews, braises. I've rarely used this cut. What
> would happen if they are grilled? How much of a chew would they
> have?

Braise them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 11:40:12 AM UTC-4, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 4:15:50 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > These steaks are on for $3.88CDN. I'm thinking of stocking up on them and making stews, braises. I've rarely used this cut. What would happen if they are grilled? How much of a chew would they have?

> They can be tough but they have good flavor.
>
> I buy them in "family packs", vacuum seal them individually, and then sous vide them. I then chill and freeze them so that I can have a nice little steak when I want one. Just thaw it in the fridge and throw it into a screaming hot cast iron skillet to sear and you've got a nice dinner.
>
> You can sous vide and finish on the bbq grill too. The sous vide makes a huge difference.
>
> I used to buy these before I became a fan and a user of sous vide and you never knew if they would be sorta tender or really tough.

That sounds tasty. However, I'm not set up for doing sous vide.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 11:49:04 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-07-11 7:15 a.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
> > These steaks are on for $3.88CDN. I'm thinking of stocking up on
> > them and making stews, braises. I've rarely used this cut. What
> > would happen if they are grilled? How much of a chew would they
> > have?
> >

> Braise them.

Good way to do it. I've never yet tried grilling this cut as it has a rep of being tough when done that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-11 7:15 a.m., A Moose in Love wrote:

> These steaks are on sale for $3.88CDN. I'm thinking of stocking up on
> them and making stews, braises. I've rarely used this cut. What
> would happen if they are grilled? How much of a chew would they
> have?

Marinated with fresh pineapple and other flavors; garlic, soy sauce,
ginger, etc. Fresh pineapple is a natural tenderizer. I add the
pineapple skins to the marinade amd then toss the skins in the trash
after a day in the fridge... then cook by any method. Can't eat the
skins but why waste them. Sirloin tip steaks can also be run through
a cubing machine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 10:02:06 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On 2019-07-11 7:15 a.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
> >
> > These steaks are on sale for $3.88CDN. I'm thinking of stocking up on
> > them and making stews, braises. I've rarely used this cut. What
> > would happen if they are grilled? How much of a chew would they
> > have?

> Marinated with fresh pineapple and other flavors; garlic, soy sauce,
> ginger, etc. Fresh pineapple is a natural tenderizer. I add the
> pineapple skins to the marinade amd then toss the skins in the trash
> after a day in the fridge... then cook by any method. Can't eat the
> skins but why waste them. Sirloin tip steaks can also be run through
> a cubing machine.

OK. That sounds a plan for grilling after marinade. I've also heard that papaya is a good tenderizer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 10:02:06 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > On 2019-07-11 7:15 a.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
> > >
> > > These steaks are on sale for $3.88CDN. I'm thinking of stocking up on
> > > them and making stews, braises. I've rarely used this cut. What
> > > would happen if they are grilled? How much of a chew would they
> > > have?

> > Marinated with fresh pineapple and other flavors; garlic, soy sauce,
> > ginger, etc. Fresh pineapple is a natural tenderizer. I add the
> > pineapple skins to the marinade amd then toss the skins in the trash
> > after a day in the fridge... then cook by any method. Can't eat the
> > skins but why waste them. Sirloin tip steaks can also be run through
> > a cubing machine.

> OK. That sounds a plan for grilling after marinade. I've also heard that papaya is a good tenderizer.

Cornstarch in the marinade is a good tenderizer.
You can also just cut them against the grain (on a slant) after
cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 5:12:36 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 11:40:12 AM UTC-4, ImStillMags wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 4:15:50 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > > These steaks are on for $3.88CDN. I'm thinking of stocking up on them and making stews, braises. I've rarely used this cut. What would happen if they are grilled? How much of a chew would they have?

> > They can be tough but they have good flavor.
> >
> > I buy them in "family packs", vacuum seal them individually, and then sous vide them. I then chill and freeze them so that I can have a nice little steak when I want one. Just thaw it in the fridge and throw it into a screaming hot cast iron skillet to sear and you've got a nice dinner.
> >
> > You can sous vide and finish on the bbq grill too. The sous vide makes a huge difference.
> >
> > I used to buy these before I became a fan and a user of sous vide and you never knew if they would be sorta tender or really tough.

> That sounds tasty. However, I'm not set up for doing sous vide.

You can find the ****** brand sous vide wand on eBay for a really good peice. You use it in your big soup pot and your set to go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 07:19:35 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 10:02:06 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On 2019-07-11 7:15 a.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
>> >
>> > These steaks are on sale for $3.88CDN. I'm thinking of stocking up on
>> > them and making stews, braises. I've rarely used this cut. What
>> > would happen if they are grilled? How much of a chew would they
>> > have?

>> Marinated with fresh pineapple and other flavors; garlic, soy sauce,
>> ginger, etc. Fresh pineapple is a natural tenderizer. I add the
>> pineapple skins to the marinade amd then toss the skins in the trash
>> after a day in the fridge... then cook by any method. Can't eat the
>> skins but why waste them. Sirloin tip steaks can also be run through
>> a cubing machine.

>OK. That sounds a plan for grilling after marinade. I've also heard that papaya is a good tenderizer.

Papaya tenderizes too but use caution, it's potent and will digest
meats. You can buy papasin, a meat tenderising powder made from
papaya.. But I prefer using fresh pineapple, it adds good flavor. You
can buy meat tenderizing powder made from pineapple too (bromelin) but
it adds no pineapple flavor... pineapple plants are bromeliads. Canned
pineapple juice is processed so that it won't tenderise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote in message

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 5:12:36 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 11:40:12 AM UTC-4, ImStillMags wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 4:15:50 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > > These steaks are on for $3.88CDN. I'm thinking of stocking up on them
> > > and making stews, braises. I've rarely used this cut. What would
> > > happen if they are grilled? How much of a chew would they have?

> > They can be tough but they have good flavor.
> >
> > I buy them in "family packs", vacuum seal them individually, and then
> > sous vide them. I then chill and freeze them so that I can have a nice
> > little steak when I want one. Just thaw it in the fridge and throw it
> > into a screaming hot cast iron skillet to sear and you've got a nice
> > dinner.
> >
> > You can sous vide and finish on the bbq grill too. The sous vide makes
> > a huge difference.
> >
> > I used to buy these before I became a fan and a user of sous vide and
> > you never knew if they would be sorta tender or really tough.

> That sounds tasty. However, I'm not set up for doing sous vide.

You can find the ****** brand sous vide wand on eBay for a really good
peice. You use it in your big soup pot and your set to go.

===

I have had a sous vide for many years. Not the wands though. I have one
similar (but not quite as fancy) to this:

https://www.sousvidetools.com/sousvi...iABEgKxe_D_BwE

I would never buy a wand but I have often wondered how well they work?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 8:53:58 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
> "ImStillMags" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 5:12:36 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > >
> > > They can be tough but they have good flavor.
> > >
> > > I buy them in "family packs", vacuum seal them individually, and then
> > > sous vide them. I then chill and freeze them so that I can have a nice
> > > little steak when I want one. Just thaw it in the fridge and throw it
> > > into a screaming hot cast iron skillet to sear and you've got a nice
> > > dinner.
> > >
> > > You can sous vide and finish on the bbq grill too. The sous vide makes
> > > a huge difference.
> > >
> > > I used to buy these before I became a fan and a user of sous vide and
> > > you never knew if they would be sorta tender or really tough.

> > That sounds tasty. However, I'm not set up for doing sous vide.

> You can find the ****** brand sous vide wand on eBay for a really good
> peice. You use it in your big soup pot and your set to go.
>
> ===
>
> I have had a sous vide for many years. Not the wands though. I have one
> similar (but not quite as fancy) to this:
>
> https://www.sousvidetools.com/sousvi...iABEgKxe_D_BwE
>
> I would never buy a wand but I have often wondered how well they work?

I bought the brand ******. Mostly because it is manually set and not wifi or bluetooth as those seem to develop problems. I love it. Works like a champ. It circulates great and gets the job done with no muss and no fuss.
..There is no way I could afford what you have .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote in message

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 8:53:58 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
> "ImStillMags" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 5:12:36 AM UTC-7, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > >
> > > They can be tough but they have good flavor.
> > >
> > > I buy them in "family packs", vacuum seal them individually, and then
> > > sous vide them. I then chill and freeze them so that I can have a
> > > nice
> > > little steak when I want one. Just thaw it in the fridge and throw it
> > > into a screaming hot cast iron skillet to sear and you've got a nice
> > > dinner.
> > >
> > > You can sous vide and finish on the bbq grill too. The sous vide
> > > makes
> > > a huge difference.
> > >
> > > I used to buy these before I became a fan and a user of sous vide and
> > > you never knew if they would be sorta tender or really tough.

> > That sounds tasty. However, I'm not set up for doing sous vide.

> You can find the ****** brand sous vide wand on eBay for a really good
> peice. You use it in your big soup pot and your set to go.
>
> ===
>
> I have had a sous vide for many years. Not the wands though. I have one
> similar (but not quite as fancy) to this:
>
> https://www.sousvidetools.com/sousvi...iABEgKxe_D_BwE
>
> I would never buy a wand but I have often wondered how well they work?

I bought the brand ******. Mostly because it is manually set and not wifi
or bluetooth as those seem to develop problems. I love it. Works like a
champ. It circulates great and gets the job done with no muss and no fuss.
..There is no way I could afford what you have .

===

I can't remember how much it cost, but as I said, I have had it for
years. I don't seem to remember it being so expensive but I suppose it was
different then.

Oh and mine doesn't have any wi fi or bluetooth settings either)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Can one do this without tools? Maybe just thermometer?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 8:53:58 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
>> "ImStillMags" wrote in message

>>> That sounds tasty. However, I'm not set up for doing sous vide.

>> You can find the ****** brand sous vide wand on eBay for a really good
>> peice. You use it in your big soup pot and your set to go.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> I have had a sous vide for many years. Not the wands though. I have one
>> similar (but not quite as fancy) to this:
>>
>> https://www.sousvidetools.com/sousvi...iABEgKxe_D_BwE
>>
>> I would never buy a wand but I have often wondered how well they work?

> I bought the brand ******. Mostly because it is manually set and not wifi or bluetooth as those seem to develop problems. I love it. Works like a champ. It circulates great and gets the job done with no muss and no fuss.
> .There is no way I could afford what you have .

Is the ****** brand a British company?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 4:20:09 PM UTC-7, Hank Rogers wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
> > On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 8:53:58 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:

> >> You can find the ****** brand sous vide wand on eBay for a really good
> >> peice. You use it in your big soup pot and your set to go.
> >>
> >> ===
> >>
> >> I have had a sous vide for many years. Not the wands though. I have one
> >> similar (but not quite as fancy) to this:
> >>
> >> https://www.sousvidetools.com/sousvi...iABEgKxe_D_BwE
> >>
> >> I would never buy a wand but I have often wondered how well they work?

> > I bought the brand ******. Mostly because it is manually set and not wifi or bluetooth as those seem to develop problems. I love it. Works like a champ. It circulates great and gets the job done with no muss and no fuss.
> > .There is no way I could afford what you have .
> >

> Is the ****** brand a British company?

hahahahahah...... I just realize my typo !!!!
It's a Wancle.
Nice catch though.

https://smile.amazon.com/Wancle-SVC0...s%2C213&sr=8-3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 4:20:09 PM UTC-7, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> ImStillMags wrote:

>>> I bought the brand ******. Mostly because it is manually set and not wifi or bluetooth as those seem to develop problems. I love it. Works like a champ. It circulates great and gets the job done with no muss and no fuss.
>>> .There is no way I could afford what you have .
>>>

>> Is the ****** brand a British company?

> hahahahahah...... I just realize my typo !!!!
> It's a Wancle.
> Nice catch though.
>
> https://smile.amazon.com/Wancle-SVC0...s%2C213&sr=8-3

If you're not careful, you'll get everyone started calling them
"****** sous vide"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote in message

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 4:20:09 PM UTC-7, Hank Rogers wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
> > On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 8:53:58 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:

> >> You can find the ****** brand sous vide wand on eBay for a really good
> >> peice. You use it in your big soup pot and your set to go.
> >>
> >> ===
> >>
> >> I have had a sous vide for many years. Not the wands though. I have
> >> one
> >> similar (but not quite as fancy) to this:
> >>
> >> https://www.sousvidetools.com/sousvi...iABEgKxe_D_BwE
> >>
> >> I would never buy a wand but I have often wondered how well they
> >> work?

> > I bought the brand ******. Mostly because it is manually set and not
> > wifi or bluetooth as those seem to develop problems. I love it. Works
> > like a champ. It circulates great and gets the job done with no muss
> > and no fuss.
> > .There is no way I could afford what you have .
> >

> Is the ****** brand a British company?

hahahahahah...... I just realize my typo !!!!
It's a Wancle.
Nice catch though.

https://smile.amazon.com/Wancle-SVC0...s%2C213&sr=8-3

=====

LOL I did notice and I did wonder about it, but I just thought it was
something America))

Sirloin again z z General Cooking 0 26-05-2012 05:10 PM
Skirt steaks and flank steaks [email protected] General Cooking 103 29-05-2009 06:35 PM
Braising grass fed sirloin steaks Bobo Bonobo® General Cooking 1 04-09-2007 02:53 AM
Sirloin Steaks with Mustard Sauce and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-05-2007 03:31 PM
Dry pork sirloin steaks tenplay General Cooking 4 01-06-2005 06:42 PM