Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default we have too many restaurants; especially downtown

here in downtown kitchener on., we have one restaurant after another. sometimes they go under even if they're managed by well educated people. 'the berlin' didn't last long and has been transfromed(by the same owners) into 'the rich uncle'. the brazilian/portugese restaurant shut down. it is now an accounting firm. i walked past there a few times on a saturday night, and there was maybe one or two tables. ouch. a caribbean restaurant just opened up across the street from another caribbean restaurant, and two blocks from another caribbean restaurant. the 'ali baba' steakhouse up in waterloo closed down. excellent steaks. since then they have had 3 different restaurants trying to make a go of it in that location. the charcoal group does well. we had a relatively medium-upscale restaurant run by prominent people go belly up in conestoga mall in waterloo. the downtown kitchener people who are setting up these places are banking on a downtown revitalization. yes they're building condos there. but...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/26/2019 7:42 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:

> here in downtown kitchener on., we have one restaurant after another. sometimes they go under even if they're managed by well educated people. 'the berlin' didn't last long and has been transfromed(by the same owners) into 'the rich uncle'. the brazilian/portugese restaurant shut down. it is now an accounting firm. i walked past there a few times on a saturday night, and there was maybe one or two tables. ouch. a caribbean restaurant just opened up across the street from another caribbean restaurant, and two blocks from another caribbean restaurant. the 'ali baba' steakhouse up in waterloo closed down. excellent steaks. since then they have had 3 different restaurants trying to make a go of it in that location. the charcoal group does well. we had a relatively medium-upscale restaurant run by prominent people go belly up in conestoga mall in waterloo. the downtown kitchener people who are setting up these places are banking on a downtown revitalization. yes they're building condos there. but...

Forbes mentioned a study showing 17% failure the first year. Another
study shows 23% in four years.

Probably many of us have heard "wow, you are a great cook, you should
open a restaurant". Perhaps that is some of the failures, people that
really don't know the business and the hours it requires.

Ability to cook and running a restaurant have nothing in common. Very
different skill sets.

TN: 1996 Bordeaux downtown DaleW Wine 3 03-03-2011 01:04 AM
Saturday afternoon downtown Cindy Fuller General Cooking 4 07-04-2008 10:47 PM
Suburbs to a Downtown Condo Louis Cohen Barbecue 8 23-12-2007 03:21 PM
Tea Tasting Event in Downtown Portland Troy Howard Tea 5 29-12-2005 02:28 AM
Downtown Cleveland restaurants reviews tired puppy Restaurants 1 22-02-2005 02:52 AM